“Must Do” activities for couples away from their kids?

bbmassey

Two Disney Crazed Teachers
My husband let me in on his surprise for our 15th last week as it required me to ask for some time off. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge from December 18th until the 23rd. We went to Disney for the first time last August had a great time. That was a family trip with our two children so our focus was on making it a great trip for them. They were thrilled so mission accomplished. This time the trip is about us. Do you have any suggestions on great activities for couples that we need to know about as we plan our trip? If you have a favorite activity or place to visit let me know where and why. Thanks!

I'm sorry you haven't got any responses yet. I'm kind of searching the boards for the same kind of information. We're going to F&W in October, plus Universal, for our 15th anniversary. We have been a lot with the kids, so I'm really trying to think of all the things we can only do when we don't have kids - wander the WS peacefully, shopping, nibbling, drinking, sleeping in, eating in lounges, closing down the parks, reading by the pool! :)

DH and I went on our first kid-free trip last August and loved it so much, we are doing it again this August (much to my kids' dismay!) :cool1: We'll also be staying at WL for our first time.

We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour last year at the MK and highly recommend it. A good adult way to see MK without hours spent chasing characters and standing in line for Dumbo and Pooh like we normally do, lol. That was really the only "activity" we did. Other things we did that we wouldn't when with the kids:

-slept late (no getting up at 6:00 to be at rope drop every day)
-hung at the resort all day, went to the parks at night
-spent time wandering other resorts (easy because we stayed at YC so we wandered BC and BWI)
-took our time in the World Showcase which we never get to do because let's face it, not much for kids there.

That's pretty much it. We wanted to do another tour this year but there's nothing else that really interests us all that much.

We had a kid free trip a few years ago.
We did the Segway tour at Epcot through the countries that was a lot of fun. (I'm not sure they still have this one.)
We ate at some nice restaurants.
We stayed out late!

We have plans to make our third trip as a couple without the kids. We went for our 25th anniversary and then the following December to see the Christmas look for the first time. Our kids are college age now so they can't complain about leaving them home anymore but they still do.

Make reservations for a nice restaurant like the Yachtsman Steakhouse.
Spend a night at the boardwalk at Jellyrolls. It's a dueling Piano Bar.
Spend one night strolling around the countries and sample the wine. Germany, Italy and France have wine flights that allow you to taste multiple wines. You can split the flight between you if you don't want to drink too much.
Since you will be there at Christmas make sure you get pictures with the characters. Just because your an adult doesn't mean you can't have fun.
Go on the rides that you want, when you want. No kids to tell you when and where.

Have fun with it.

Here are a few suggestions:

-Sleep in!
-If having dinner at a park restaurant, make your reservation as close to park closing as possible (example: Epcot WS restaurant at 8:55 or 9:00). By the time you're done with dinner, most people will have already left and you can slowly walk out of the park enjoying the ambience.
-California Grill, time your dinner so that you can step out on the viewing deck and watch Wishes.
-Take it slow in the parks- enjoy the small details that you typically wouldn't notice when with the kids.
-Resort Hop (especially the monorail resorts) to look around and take in the views.
-If you're going at a busy time and parks are open late - stay out late! Most people will leave MK after the last parade or fireworks.

Enjoy your time! A WDW trip with just adults is much different than a WDW trip with kids.

There is a couples thread on here. Sorry but I am at work on my phone and can't post a link.

First, I want to say how exciting that sounds to stay at one of my favorite resorts during the holidays! I was so stunned when I walked into their lobby for the 1st time & took in all of the decorations & music. If it was ever in my budget, this would be my top choice for a holiday trip on property. :santa:

If you have never done it before, book the Candlelight Processional Package so you get a nice lunch or dinner, reserved seating & a Christmas Illuminations FP.

I would also recommend sleeping in & staying out late b/c all of the lights & decorations are pretty at night to make the most out of it & later hours. You can look at the times guide for WS & plan to see some of the holiday stories in the countries you're interested in. Some of them are pretty good IMO (Tip: get a warm Glühwein from the booth in Germany to take w/you for the stories..it's my favorite holiday drink in Epcot & it sets the mood).

Things that I do regardless of the holiday season w/no kids:

~Whatever I want, Whenever I want to do it! ;)

~DTD at night is always fun. I like to hang out at Raglan Road when they have the band outside on the patio (they have outdoor heaters if it's cool outside).

~Take your time in the parks to explore & take it all in.

~Stop to see the World Showcase Players in the afternoon at the UK Pavillion.

~Go & enjoy a Dole Whip w/rum at Tamu Tamu Refreshments in AK! :thumbsup2

~Go to karaoke in the evening at the Swan's Kimonos Lounge & have some really good sushi if you like sushi.

~Try a Deluxe restaurant on or off property one night.

~Spend some time at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly & get a specialty drink. I like the Lapu Lapu served in a Pineapple or the Backscratcher which packs a pretty good punch. If you get it to go, stroll around the grounds or hang out at the beach on a swing for a while. They also have some good appetizers on the menu there if you get hungry.

The spas at the Grand Floridian and Saratoga Springs are excellent.

If the weather is warm, rent a boat or take in a round of golf - the Magnolia course is the one with the bunker shaped like Mickey.

A evening at the Boardwalk or Downtown Disney enjoying the clubs and restaurants.

There are variety of behind the scenes tours, you can even scuba dive at the Seas pavilion in EPCOT

My favorite place to go as an adult is Jellyrolls at The Boardwalk. It is a dueling piano bar and I always have a great time.

-Chris Charming

my DH and I are having our first Disney trip without the kids and I have us booked at AOA (this may change depending if I receive a free dining pin this year or not). I usually do Disney with my 21 year old daughter and we hit the parks hard. Early mornings, late nights and looooooong days. We always come home exhausted & sore but happy. This technique is not going to work with the hubster lol. I have us booked for 8 days at the resort with 4 days at the parks. Im thinking every other day will be a lazy resort day. I love the idea of sleeping in and hitting the parks in the evenings. Food & Wine festival is on during our stay and I know DH will enjoy that. I went last year with DD and it was fantastic. We have also booked a weeks Caribbean cruise starting the day we check out from AOA so that will be a nice relaxing way to end our vacation. I am a huge planner of our days in the parks but I am totally letting go this time around. No schedual, no plans, no pressure. :)

my DH and I are having our first Disney trip without the kids and I have us booked at AOA (this may change depending if I receive a free dining pin this year or not). I usually do Disney with my 21 year old daughter and we hit the parks hard. Early mornings, late nights and looooooong days. We always come home exhausted & sore but happy. This technique is not going to work with the hubster lol. I have us booked for 8 days at the resort with 4 days at the parks. Im thinking every other day will be a lazy resort day. I love the idea of sleeping in and hitting the parks in the evenings. Food & Wine festival is on during our stay and I know DH will enjoy that. I went last year with DD and it was fantastic. We have also booked a weeks Caribbean cruise starting the day we check out from AOA so that will be a nice relaxing way to end our vacation. I am a huge planner of our days in the parks but I am totally letting go this time around. No schedual, no plans, no pressure. :)
That sounds like an amazing way to end a Disney trip. I absolutely love going to Disney, but every time I get home I have this feeling, like I need a vacation from my vacation.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

My husband and I did the wild africa trek over at animal kingdom during our disneymoon a couple years ago and it was awesome.

DW and I have been every year since '93 during the 2nd week of Dec. Great time to go!
Multiple choices as to what you can do:
sports: golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort-has ICE! It is several freezing rooms full of ice sculptures; you are given a heavy coat to wear and hot coffee/chocolate afterwards., Citywalk, swamp tour
A horse and buggy ride at PO/RS (The old Dixie Landings) or at FWC great viewing of the camp-sites decorated by the campers
AKV/Sanna for dinner and watch the animals on the savanna.
Take a monorail tour of resorts - stop and rest/get back on/tour. The lobby of GF has a band playing in the afternoons, set, listen, and relax as much as you want.
Walking tour of the EPCOT area hotels, BWV, Swan, Dolphin, YC & BC all in one evening stroll.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter