“Rise” to the Challenge, FREAK!! Done and new trip report started 5/2/21

Caroline, this plan sounds AWESOME!!!! And how perfect to celebrate Andi's birthday with a slushy Epcot drink. Sounds like perfection right about now.

You (and all nurses!!) have certainly earned the time to give yourself a little relaxation and a whole lot of magic!! I do hope you get to take this trip!
Thank you Jackie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to be sipping an expensive drink in Epcot. Haha 😂
I sure do need a vacation, right about now!

Exciting to have a potential trip in the works! You have been working hard through all this so you deserve a trip!

How cool for Andi to have her birthday on Thanksgiving! A perfect reason to head down to WDW! And Epcot is a great park to have a celebratory birthday drink!

Oh my, Buddy is sooo cute!!
Thank you Alexis! I am so excited to plan for a trip! I sure hope it happens!!
Yes, her Birthday has landed on Thanksgiving quite a few times now! this year is extra special since she can have legal wine with her meal, lol 😝
Here is another picture of my little Buddy. he is almost 13 years old now, the little cutie!

Caroline, I love your plans!

Perfect way to celebrate Andi turning 21......will keep everything crossed it happens.....and love the Judging You meme......lol......

You certainly deserve a good break away after the year you`ve had. Between missing trips and the amount of work too......:hug:
Thank you Carole!!! I sure we can safely take this trip and feel good about it. I love planning trips!
I love the Judging meme and the Jurassic park one, one of my favorite books and movie!!
I need a vacation so bad!

Sounds like a fun trip! I hope you get to go!
Fingers crossed, this one works out!
Ugh…I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat
It is so hard not knowing what is going to happen, Disney trips are such a big part of my vacation time, I miss it so much!
That's super random and yet very specific. Makes no sense at all. So you could be in a room with 45 unmasked people and not have to quarantine?
I found out I have to check in with Occ health when I return, so maybe not quarantine the full 14 days? maybe get a test will be enough!
Yikes! Use some of that up!
We can bank 820 hours. We use to be able to cash in sick time every year if we were over the 820 and get a little bonus check, not any more. We are in a union at our hospital and we are the only employees that still have separate vacation and sick time. Our hospital is drooling at the possibility of changing the nurses to PTO!! We voted to strike during our contract negotiations this past year because of PTO. It would be a huge loss for most of us. The hospital backed down when they knew we would strike over it.
Anyway, the moral of that story is…use your time! Maybe your employer isn't horrid like mine, but you never know!
Our employer is the same, we are just thankful to be in a union at this time!
Yes! Allie and I are panning to do the same in 2024!
yay to mother and daughter trips, so fun and with drinks involved even more lol 😂
ok I have to ask what is banked sick time and PTO? Here if your sick you take sick leave which may or may not be full pay depending on your contract. Do you get a certain amount whether your sick or not?
PTO is sick time and vacation time bunched together. It usually is much less than what you can accrue with the two being separate. I accrue 6.4 hours of both vacation and sick time every 2 weeks and more if I work more! With PTO it is already a set amount of hours for the year, which is much less. We were willing to strike for it because it is a big loss for us. Of course big companies want everyone to have PTO it saves them mega dollars by giving less to their employees!!

I found out I have to check in with Occ health when I return, so maybe not quarantine the full 14 days? maybe get a test will be enough!

Good! It sounds like there's hope for you!

We can bank 820 hours. We use to be able to cash in sick time every year if we were over the 820 and get a little bonus check, not any more. We are in a union at our hospital and we are the only employees that still have separate vacation and sick time. Our hospital is drooling at the possibility of changing the nurses to PTO!! We voted to strike during our contract negotiations this past year because of PTO. It would be a huge loss for most of us. The hospital backed down when they knew we would strike over it.

We really could use a union and there was some grumblings about it but nobody wanted a target on their backs and by then, it was too late anyway…they had already really screwed us over :sad1:

Why do we have to work?? Lol 😂
We should all be born independently wealthy!
Wow you have tons of sick time. We can only bank 820 hours. We use to get such great perks for not using the sick time, like extra pay, not anymore our benefits shrink all the time!
We don't have a limit, but if it's not used when you retire/leave, it just... disappears. It'd sure be nice if they paid it out, even at just a fraction of its worth, but.

I know that I will be "sick"... a lot... when I'm in my final year before I retire.
I hope not, so many different reviews, some say it is really crowded others ay it is like a ghost town!
That's kinda weird, isn't it?
We, nurses, thank you very much!!!
:laughing: You're welcome!
Here is another picture of my little Buddy. he is almost 13 years old now, the little cutie!
Awwww... :)

Yay for a trip on the horizon! We've thought about staying at the Swan/Dolphin a bunch of times but never gone through with it. I can't wait to hear what you guys think.

We had a 2 week quarantine rule for returning to work also but they ended up being too short staffed because most of us, like you, have tons of sick time and used it so they changed the policy to a negative test upon returning home and you can come back to work. When I called employee health to tell them I had traveled and had a negative test, they said "Ok you can go back to work but you have to wear a mask". I'm not sure how that's different than what we've been doing for months anyway lol

We don't have a limit, but if it's not used when you retire/leave, it just... disappears. It'd sure be nice if they paid it out, even at just a fraction of its worth, but.
I agree, In the past, we could have cashed out all our sick time and used the money for supplemental health insurance when you retired. That was so nice for the retirees that had that option. Now it is like you, people use the sick time for many things the year before retiring. One of our nurses had both her hips replaced the last year she worked, I mean didn’t work lol 😂

Yay for a trip on the horizon! We've thought about staying at the Swan/Dolphin a bunch of times but never gone through with it. I can't wait to hear what you guys think.

We had a 2 week quarantine rule for returning to work also but they ended up being too short staffed because most of us, like you, have tons of sick time and used it so they changed the policy to a negative test upon returning home and you can come back to work. When I called employee health to tell them I had traveled and had a negative test, they said "Ok you can go back to work but you have to wear a mask". I'm not sure how that's different than what we've been doing for months anyway lol
Thank you! I am excited to try The Swan. I have been reading many positive reviews about it. I do like the area and the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS. I hope we end up going.
The mask requirement cracks me up, what do they think you have been wearing for the last 7 months lol 😂
I am hoping I will be able to work shortly afterwards. I 100% know they will need me.

PTO is sick time and vacation time bunched together. It usually is much less than what you can accrue with the two being separate. I accrue 6.4 hours of both vacation and sick time every 2 weeks and more if I work more! With PTO it is already a set amount of hours for the year, which is much less. We were willing to strike for it because it is a big loss for us. Of course big companies want everyone to have PTO it saves them mega dollars by giving less to their employees!!
I think I like your way better though when I worked full-time as a nurse my holiday leave was quite good 20-25 days depending on length of service plus 12 stat days to be taken throughout the year if I worked the bank holidays. Sick pay was a percentage of basic salary without overtime ( so pretty rubbish but liveable ). Thankfully I was rarely sick.

We will both be at DHS and Epcot the same days right now, very cool! We definitely have to make plans to bump elbows and say hi, maybe have a nice 6 feet apart drink! i sure hope we can go. I was telling Andi how much I need a vacation!
I almost caved and bought tickets for the OI meetup on 12/5/20, I still might, lol! We could stay 1 more day except traveling after a late night is not my favorite.
Let’s touch base when it gets closer - even if we just wave in passing !

I think I like your way better though when I worked full-time as a nurse my holiday leave was quite good 20-25 days depending on length of service plus 12 stat days to be taken throughout the year if I worked the bank holidays. Sick pay was a percentage of basic salary without overtime ( so pretty rubbish but liveable ). Thankfully I was rarely sick.
I forgot to say PTO means paid time off! It looks like yours was good. I get about 6 weeks off a year for vacation and the sick time accrues quickly too!

! Our jobs are difficult in the best of times and right now, ugh! Work has been crazy busy for me, however, I do feel pretty safe and we do have a decent supply of PPE!

That's for sure they are! I'm glad you've felt safe and have had enough PPE; we haven't had any shortages either, thankfully. But we have been short staffed!

So true! You made me tear up some today, reading all your wonderful responses! It made my day off today very nice!

Aw no!! Did not mean to make you cry, but at least it was happy tears!

My work has a policy in place that states, if you travel on an airplane and are around 50 or more people, regardless of being masked, you have to quarantine for 14 days. I doubt this will change by the time November rolls around.

I do have over 700 hours banked of sick time and I can use this if need be. I just don’t like leaving my team in a bind.

I wonder if you got a Covid test if they would waive the quarantine time? My hospital, so far, doesn't have any policy except for international travel, but I think for my own piece of mind I'll get a Covid test if we end up actually going on our vacation.

However... skip the Covid test and use that sick time! I have tons of medical leave, but with our policy you've got to use so many PTO days before medical leave kicks in :confused:

My husband and son will be hunting in South Dakota until 11/29 so I changed our dates to 11/29-12/5.

Yay!! This is what made me hunt down your report again - couldn't wait for you to respond on FB about your dates! Our first day is 12/5 so maybe we could arrange a brief hello? Or maybe you extend your days!! Either way, I'm very excited that you have a trip planned again, I know you had several planned and I think a vacation will do wonders after these past few months.

The Swan it is for us.

Exciting! I've been curious about the Swan lately, so I look forward to your report! Plus, walking to DHS seems like the way to go.

I have enough Southwest points to fly free, however, Delta flies right out of our small town and they are keeping middle seats open until January.

That's awesome about Delta. I wish Southwest would commit to no middle seats until the end of the year, but it seems like they'll just be doing it month by month.

I have read, Epcot will have The Holiday festival booths during this time. The most important thing will be having an adult beverage with my 21 year old daughter!

This is going to be such a fun experience for you two! Just imagine the joy, and magic, and relaxation. Sounds like a glorious end to 2020.

I have to figure out ADR’s for us. Andi is a little nervous about eating indoors, which leaves us with very few TS options. I think it will be fine to eat inside for a few meals.

I'm with Andi! Though, I think we're going to try a few indoor places. Dad wants Biergarten, and I've heard good reviews about their spacing. Sci-Fi also has great reviews for spacing, plus their ceilings are so tall! Disney Springs has a few good options for outdoor seating too. As long as it's not too cold...

Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

I wonder if you got a Covid test if they would waive the quarantine time? My hospital, so far, doesn't have any policy except for international travel, but I think for my own piece of mind I'll get a Covid test if we end up actually going on our vacation.
I read the policy again and it says we have to check in with occ. health so maybe it will be taking a test rather than quarantine!
However... skip the Covid test and use that sick time
I am so tempted too. It’s sad to say but we have a few “nurses” who have had Covid symptoms at least 3-4x and they automatically get 3-7 days off ugh!
Yay!! This is what made me hunt down your report again - couldn't wait for you to respond on FB about your dates!
We changed our dates to 12/2-12/8, better Delta flights and less expensive. I am also hoping the crowds will be a little less than Thanksgiving week. We definitely have to get together!
Exciting! I've been curious about the Swan lately, so I look forward to your report! Plus, walking to DHS seems like the way to go.
I’m excited to try it. We are on a mission to stay at all the resorts even if they aren’t owned by Disney. We got a great AAA rate, less than a moderaTE with the AP rate
That's awesome about Delta
I do like the middle seats being open during our trip
This is going to be such a fun experience for you two! Just imagine the joy, and magic, and relaxation. Sounds like a glorious end to 2020.
I need a vacation so bad! We will really enjoy it !
I'm with Andi! Though, I think we're going to try a few indoor places.
I think I can persuade Andi to do Sci-Fi I hope we can get ADR’s it sounds like they go even faster now!

Thank you! Andi is doing well, however she does not agree with UW’s in person classes right now, especially since cases are on the rise in WI.

I really hope our trip works out! I found out with our current work policy, I just have to check in with occ health, not necessarily quarantine for the full 14 days
Our hospital relaxed on their travel restrictions also. There are so many people with PTO built up from cancelled vacations that there won't be anyone left to work if they mandated a full two weeks of quarantine. We test on day 5, and if negative, people are back at work. If they travel to a low risk area by private vehicle, they don't even need to be tested. Wisconsin's cases are on the rise, but 1/3rd of them are in Milwaukee. It is really frustrating down here seeing all the protestors not wearing masks. I think I will be safer in Florida! LOL! Stay well!

A pre trip update, maybe??????

Well, I made reservations for a trip the end of November!

Will we keep it, will we go?? I really want too, however, I can’t say for certain.

It still is so fun to plan something. I renewed our AP’s for another year. Our expiration date is now 9/28/21. I was rich with Disney gift cards from our cancelled trips, so I figured why not. We will make use of the pass even if we have to bunch up trips in the 2nd half of 2021!

Andi and I discussed our options for November. We both feel we will be safe at WDW, however, the flight and my work policies maybe the road blocks for going, at this time.

My work has a policy in place that states, if you travel on an airplane and are around 50 or more people, regardless of being masked, you have to quarantine for 14 days. I doubt this will change by the time November rolls around.

I do have over 700 hours banked of sick time and I can use this if need be. I just don’t like leaving my team in a bind. I have worked extra and have not missed a day of work since this pandemic started, so part of me, is saying just go!

Okay, on to the fun part! How many times do you turn 21?? Me, at least 20, haha 😂 Andi will be 21 on Thanksgiving Day this year! My original plan was 11/25-12/2, however, I have dog issues! My husband and son will be hunting in South Dakota until 11/29 so I changed our dates to 11/29-12/5. This way my sweet little Buddy won’t need dog sitting. He is so afraid of strangers and hides behind the couch if someone comes over to let him out. Oh boy!

View attachment 527131

I had my wonderful TA check out pricing for AP rates and there was not much available. Sad 😞 and for AP rates just to costly for 1 park a day and limited experiences.

I did find a really good AAA rate at The Swan, they didn’t have any AP rooms for those days either. Scared 😱 it is going to be very busy that week, ugh 😩 makes me nervous! The Swan it is for us. I booked a standard view room with 2 queen beds for $200.00 less than the CSR standard view. We wanted to be in the Boardwalk area for walk ability to Epcot and DHS. The price does include the resort fee so I feel it is a very good deal. It will be a new resort for Andi and I, this is also a plus.
View attachment 527116
Thanks google search for the picture!
As far as flights go, I think we will be flying Delta right from Duluth. I have enough Southwest points to fly free, however, Delta flies right out of our small town and they are keeping middle seats open until January. I know everyone is raving about their $20.00 flight tickets, I wish! Our flights won’t be anywhere near that price! The price is still really good for flying out of our airport and we get priority boarding and free checked bags. It is sad to say, even in November, I have to worry about snowstorms and our airport takes these in strides, thank goodness! I would not want to risk having to drive to Minneapolis for a little less on the ticket price.

View attachment 527117

We will be leaving early as usual! The flight leaves at 5:15 am, ugh and why! Oh well, we will arrive in Orlando by 1:30 in the afternoon, this is the plus.
View attachment 527119

I have Epcot scheduled for this day. I figured we can spend a few hours there. I believe, the park will be opened until 8pm. We will do a few rides and eat some food! I usually don’t make a dining reservation the first day. It is a gamble with flying. I am hoping, there is enough choices between the Festival booths and QS.
View attachment 527121

I have read, Epcot will have The Holiday festival booths during this time. The most important thing will be having an adult beverage with my 21 year old daughter! I want us to have one of the delicious slushy drinks 🍸
from France or a delicious margarita from Mexico 🇲🇽

My park day schedule looks like this so far

11/29 Epcot

11/30 DHS

12/01 MK

12/02 AK

12/03 DHS

12/04 Epcot

12/05 MK

We will use Lyft for most rides, skyliner for fun, and walking for everything else. The Swan does not participate in DME or Magic bands because this hotel is not owned by Disney.

I don’t think we will miss DME since you have to get your own luggage anyway. We will use our magic bands for entering the parks. The Magic bands can’t be used for charging to the hotel or opening your hotel room door. We will use are phones for most everything.

View attachment 527122

I have to figure out ADR’s for us. Andi is a little nervous about eating indoors, which leaves us with very few TS options. I think it will be fine to eat inside for a few meals.
View attachment 527124

We definitely want to try Wine Bar George, Baseline Tap House, and some of the places around the Boardwalk that are open. I also like the option of ordering for takeout from some of the TS places now.

That is it as of now. let me know what you all think. This was fun to get it down on paper. Oh by the way, my husband and son think we are crazy 😜 They have no problem traveling to South Dakota for a hunting trip. How dare they, lol 😆

View attachment 527128

I will be back with more as time goes on. My ADR day will be coming up soon
Take care all and wear your mask 😷

How fun to be planning another trip! Our cat is the same with strangers, it is getting harder to leave her knowing she will basically be completely alone when we are gone! :sad:

Booking at rack rates is such sticker shock, that's awesome you found a good deal at the Swan! Being able to walk to two parks seems like such a high value right now, with how limited the buses are! I'm very interested in knowing how it compares to the regular Disney resorts!

I actually turned 21 at WDW, we flew in on my birthday and since it was so late when we landed, we celebrated with a terrible mini bottle of wine from the Pop food court with plastic glasses, an experience that I will never forget 😆 Hopefully you and Aldi can find something a little tastier than that!

Very smart to avoid going to MSP in the winter, with how 2020 is going I'm sure heaps of snow is in our future! I don't know how everyone is having such cheap airfare, we never seem to get those rates or maybe we just don't have enough budget carriers around here since we are such a Delta hub!

Wine Bar George looks so good, I really want to try the Ibérico Pork Pluma. Hoping this trip works out for you!!!

I am so excited to hear about your potential trip! You're right, just planning a trip I bet makes this whole situation better. I'd love to go myself, but I'm the only full time person at my work and NY has quarantine rules too so there's no way I could swing taking 3 weeks off for a one week trip :sad::sad: I will live vicariously through everyone who goes, though! And hopefully that'll be you and Andi soon! :goodvibes

Our hospital relaxed on their travel restrictions also. There are so many people with PTO built up from cancelled vacations that there won't be anyone left to work if they mandated a full two weeks of quarantine. We test on day 5, and if negative, people are back at work. If they travel to a low risk area by private vehicle, they don't even need to be tested. Wisconsin's cases are on the rise, but 1/3rd of them are in Milwaukee. It is really frustrating down here seeing all the protestors not wearing masks. I think I will be safer in Florida! LOL! Stay well!
I see Wisconsin’s numbers have been climbing 😯 It makes Andi very nervous 😬. I know we are testing around 30-40,000 people a day now.
I think the colleges in person has definitely raised the numbers!
Now Florida has relaxed all the Covid precautions! I don’t think that is a good idea!
Disney World is definitely the bubble to be in if traveling to Florida!
Stay well, masks up and Covid down!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter