#1 Anaheim Hotel on Tripadvisor

I would never stay at ayers. Isn't it a bus ride away. I always stay somewhere walkable. So, you need to decide what's most important to you. Fairfield & Tropicana are the closest in your list.

HomeWood Suites is brand new. I love it! It's the place we keep going back to. We couldn't justify spending about the same amount to stay at Camelot inn family suite when we can get nice large breakfast and mon-Thursday "snacks" at dinner.

Smartlabelprint, I normally prefer walkable hotels too, but sometimes I swear, even the walkable ones seem miles away at the end of the night, lol!! We love Mimi's, and neither of us have ever eaten at a Panera, so we could always have breakfast there if we chose to, if we stayed across the street. I really wanted BWPPI, but it's booked solid, so the other 2 are definite contenders. Sheraton Park is another on our list. Homewood sounds so good and new and fresh, but that would also require a bus, which I understand the Toy Story shuttle bus is close by? I've also been looking at the new Holiday Inn Express behind Ho Jo's, I guess it's also walkable, but further down. Arrrrggghhh! I just need to decide already!!

Smartlabelprint, I normally prefer walkable hotels too, but sometimes I swear, even the walkable ones seem miles away at the end of the night, lol!! We love Mimi's, and neither of us have ever eaten at a Panera, so we could always have breakfast there if we chose to, if we stayed across the street. I really wanted BWPPI, but it's booked solid, so the other 2 are definite contenders. Sheraton Park is another on our list. Homewood sounds so good and new and fresh, but that would also require a bus, which I understand the Toy Story shuttle bus is close by? I've also been looking at the new Holiday Inn Express behind Ho Jo's, I guess it's also walkable, but further down. Arrrrggghhh! I just need to decide already!!
Homewood does not require a bus. It takes about 15-20 min bus or walking. We found that we'd walk in the morning and often at other times because our double stroller is just such a pain to set up multiple times a day. The toy story lot is about 5 minute walk away. We did usually ride the bus home.

I keep going back and forth over which hotel we should stay at! I have reservations at several, including both Ayres (Orange and Anaheim) Hotel Indigo, Sheraton Park (but I'm 99% sure I will be cancelling this one) the new Homewood Suites near convention center, Fairfield & Tropicana right on Harbor. I know the last 2 just got renovated this year!! We've stayed at the Fairfield, but it has been a while.

Help me to decide!! At one point, I was even desperate enough to think we may need to stay on property since we will be there during Thanksgiving week, which I've never been before, just for the early entry each morning. But then my daughter made me come to my senses, and realized it was an arm & a leg, eve splitting it 3/3 like I wanted to. (6 nights total).

Normally stay across the street somewhere, the last few times it's been Best Western PPI, but they are booked! :(

Stay at the Indigo. Its a nice hotel and not a bad walk. Plus they don't charge for parking. But whatever you do don't stay at a hotel that is not in walking distance. Depending on buses, especially the ART, just flat out sinks.

Did you try calling BWPPI? Call the actual hotel, not the reservations line. Sometimes they have availability even when the web site says they don't.
It worked for us!

Just FYI.. Today Ayres is 6th on Tripadv

You will have a great time... and I bet you wont be in your room that often to tell the difference between 1 and 6. Enjoy!!

Here's my take on TripAdvisor: I frequently use it to research hotels for family trips. I have also written many hotel and restaurant reviews on the site. I have established a pattern of how I read the reviews that works for me. First, do look at the overall ranking, but take it with a grain of salt. I was helping my sister find a hotel the other night. I found a hotel that would suit her group that was ranked #6 out of 9 in the city. Number 6 sounds good, but there are only 9 hotels in the city. However, because there are only 9 hotels in the city, it doesn't mean the lower-ranked hotels are bad. If you find one ranked #117 out of 118, there might be a real problem! The point is to read the reviews regardless of the ranking and make your own judgement.

Second, pay attention to the comments more than the 1-5 ratings. The numbers are totally subjective and it's kind of a free for all in terms of the ratings people assign. For example, they might rank "cleanliness" at a 2, but if you read the comments they say the room was clean. I always look at the most recent reviews first to see how the place is rated now. It might have three stars overall, but might suddenly be getting all 4 and 5 star reviews. It could be that the hotel had renovations or made improvements lately that will raise it's ratings over time, but just not yet.

Also, click on the "terrible" reviews and look for themes. If multiple people consistently mention dirty rooms, a sketchy neighborhood, rude employees, unsympathetic management, etc., that's a red flag. Also look for themes in poor reviews that don't necessarily matter to you. I found a hotel for my sister and her group that had five recent 1-star ratings in a row. After reading through, I determined it was a group (perhaps a corporate group on a business trip) where everyone was registered in the hotel's points program. They arrived late in the evening and all expected to be upgraded because of their club status. All five were told the hotel was full and there were no upgraded rooms available. Subsequently, all five gave 1-star reviews, only mentioning the lack of upgrades. As I read further, most reviewers gave 4 or 5 stars and very positive comments. Those are the ones I paid attention to.

We stayed at Homewood suites convention centre last thanksgiving week and loved it. A decent breakfast included. We caught the toy story to the park each day as it was just next door.
Good to know!! I've heard such good things about this one, even if it's far away, I'm tempted by good reviews! What time were you able to leave with the shuttle? Did you have to wait long either way? My daughter and I want to be to the parks as early as possible!

My daughter and I are traveling to Anaheim in March for a cheer competition at the Convention Center. I have hotel reservations at both Ayres hotel (Anaheim and Orange). For me, Orange is about $75 cheaper. I don't know the area at all. Is there a reason I should stay at one hotel over the other? We are flying into LAX and will be driving to Anaheim so I will have a car. I will be going to Disneyland for at least one day and I would love to ride a shuttle so I don't have to pay to park. We have never been to Disneyland, or California for that matter so I am totally clueless. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!
My niece and her daughter who will be attending the same competition, are staying at the Fairfield Inn. I may be accompanying them. It's right across the street from DL. I also booked the Ayres for my daughter and my trip for this next weekend, but I decided to cancel both. I love the reviews, but one thing (maybe no big deal for some) is that I don't want to have to stick my room key in for the lights to work. I know it may seem petty, but I don't want to be stumbling around in the dark in the middle of the night if I have to get up! I do think that ART shuttle probably stops there, maybe you have the answer by now since this post was from last month.

I would never stay at ayers. Isn't it a bus ride away. I always stay somewhere walkable. So, you need to decide what's most important to you. Fairfield & Tropicana are the closest in your list.

HomeWood Suites is brand new. I love it! It's the place we keep going back to. We couldn't justify spending about the same amount to stay at Camelot inn family suite when we can get nice large breakfast and mon-Thursday "snacks" at dinner.
Smartlabelprint, I am sooo tempted! I'm debating now between this and HIE off Manchester, it's walkable, and new also. The thing is, I think it's a lot more expensive now that it's so close, I'm going to call them. I would have to take UBER or the Toy Story shuttle every day, it may be walkable for some, but I have bad feet, ankle and knees, and with all the walking we will be doing in the parks, I need transport! We most likely will NOT take advantage of the evening snacks since we love eating in the parks, especially with the Holiday of festival, we plan on eating our way around the booths, have dinner reservations for Cafe Orleans one night, and Thanksgiving we eat at Storyteller's! We are foodies, and since there is just the two of us, we don't need to feed an army!

Homewood does not require a bus. It takes about 15-20 min bus or walking. We found that we'd walk in the morning and often at other times because our double stroller is just such a pain to set up multiple times a day. The toy story lot is about 5 minute walk away. We did usually ride the bus home.
Won't be walking from there, so it would have to be shuttle or UBER.

Stay at the Indigo. Its a nice hotel and not a bad walk. Plus they don't charge for parking. But whatever you do don't stay at a hotel that is not in walking distance. Depending on buses, especially the ART, just flat out sinks.
We don't have a car anyway, so parking is not an issue. Anywhere other than across the street is a not walking distance for me with my foot/ankle/knee issues. Somedays it's better than others, but I can't take a chance with all the walking we will be doing.

Did you try calling BWPPI? Call the actual hotel, not the reservations line. Sometimes they have availability even when the web site says they don't.
It worked for us!
Yes, they are definitely sold out. :(

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Sorry for the delayed replies, I've been super busy! Now I need to get focused back on our trip. Have to make shuttle reservations from LAX to chosen hotel, but can't do it until I choose! I am determined to make up my mind TODAY or at the latest, TOMORROW!! I have to cancel the other ones ASAP!!

I'm going to cancel both Ayres hotels today, as well as Sheraton Park. That leaves reservations I've made for; Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn on Harbor, Tropicana and Hotel Indigo. I was going to check on rates for HIE off Manchester, next to the new Courtyard next to Fairfield, but I think it has to be outrageously priced by now. That one is new, walking distance, has high ratings, has quiet hours, and a breakfast included also. Kind of wanting to try somewhere new!

Last edited:

Good to know!! I've heard such good things about this one, even if it's far away, I'm tempted by good reviews! What time were you able to leave with the shuttle? Did you have to wait long either way? My daughter and I want to be to the parks as early as possible!

My niece and her daughter who will be attending the same competition, are staying at the Fairfield Inn. I may be accompanying them. It's right across the street from DL. I also booked the Ayres for my daughter and my trip for this next weekend, but I decided to cancel both. I love the reviews, but one thing (maybe no big deal for some) is that I don't want to have to stick my room key in for the lights to work. I know it may seem petty, but I don't want to be stumbling around in the dark in the middle of the night if I have to get up! I do think that ART shuttle probably stops there, maybe you have the answer by now since this post was from last month.

Smartlabelprint, I am sooo tempted! I'm debating now between this and HIE off Manchester, it's walkable, and new also. The thing is, I think it's a lot more expensive now that it's so close, I'm going to call them. I would have to take UBER or the Toy Story shuttle every day, it may be walkable for some, but I have bad feet, ankle and knees, and with all the walking we will be doing in the parks, I need transport! We most likely will NOT take advantage of the evening snacks since we love eating in the parks, especially with the Holiday of festival, we plan on eating our way around the booths, have dinner reservations for Cafe Orleans one night, and Thanksgiving we eat at Storyteller's! We are foodies, and since there is just the two of us, we don't need to feed an army!

Won't be walking from there, so it would have to be shuttle or UBER.

We don't have a car anyway, so parking is not an issue. Anywhere other than across the street is a not walking distance for me with my foot/ankle/knee issues. Somedays it's better than others, but I can't take a chance with all the walking we will be doing.

Yes, they are definitely sold out. :(

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Sorry for the delayed replies, I've been super busy! Now I need to get focused back on our trip. Have to make shuttle reservations from LAX to chosen hotel, but can't do it until I choose! I am determined to make up my mind TODAY or at the latest, TOMORROW!! I have to cancel the other ones ASAP!!

I'm going to cancel both Ayres hotels today, as well as Sheraton Park. That leaves reservations I've made for; Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn on Harbor, Tropicana and Hotel Indigo. I was going to check on rates for HIE off Manchester, next to the new Courtyard next to Fairfield, but I think it has to be outrageously priced by now. That one is new, walking distance, has high ratings, has quiet hours, and a breakfast included also. Kind of wanting to try somewhere new!
With just the 2 of you I’d stay at the same place as your relatives. Fairfield Inn is a good option. If you won’t take advantage the evening snacks I’d skip it. We don’t every day but since the cost is higher this helps equalize it a bit.

So I just checked, and the lowest rate I could find on ihg.com for the HIE on Manchester is $1600+ which is a bit much. I will stick with the other ones, which range from $1022-$1198 including all taxes for the 6 nights.

With just the 2 of you I’d stay at the same place as your relatives. Fairfield Inn is a good option. If you won’t take advantage the evening snacks I’d skip it. We don’t every day but since the cost is higher this helps equalize it a bit.

I'm beginning to think we may do this one too. Or Tropicana. I need a place with a nice big nightstand since I have to bring a CPAP (I'm a reluctant new user) I just stayed at a Springhill Suites on Friday night, and I LOVED their layout, but smaller rooms will be fine for us since like you said we will be just the 2 of us and mostly going to be in the parks!!

Ok Smartlabelprint (and others) HELP ME!! I'm down to the 2 hotels!! I'm torn between Tropicana & Fairfield Inn! Help me decide? It's just me and my adult daughter. I have a CPAP machine that I need to accommodate for, so I called Tropicana and talked to a very nice lady who assured me they have plenty of plug ins, and even a little extra table that I could use to put it on if need be. They seem to have everything we need! I was afraid of them initially because of past reviews of **** roaches, but I'm hoping that issue has been resolved with the new and improved renovations! One of the other things I was worried about was their mattresses because I have a bad back, and also I don't like memory foam ones, and she even gave me the name of the mattresses, I looked them up, they sound very nice! She said people ask for them for their home use! The last thing is, we are getting in super early, like by the time we get there from the airport it will be about 730a, and she said we could either book another night ($$$) or take a chance and they will text us when a room is ready. I know that the Fairfield has a deal where you pay only $25 for early check in, but is that a good reason to stay there instead? Keep in mind, we are flying from Alaska on a non stop flight that is over 5 hours, and I'm not a good plane sleeper. They also renovated their rooms recently, and I've stayed there before, the only thing I remember not liking is their tiny bathrooms where it was hard to close the door once you are using the facilities (sorry for TMI) Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions welcome!

I think the Courtyard fills a niche that has been sorely lacking at Disneyland. Most of the sub $200 night hotels near Disneyland are fine but nothing special. I think many people are looking for a four/five star hotel experience and are willing to pay. The Grand Californian is charging four/five star hotel prices but even that place doesn't really measure up either.

I would never spend top dollar since all our family is looking for is a comfortable bed, quick breakfast, clean, and close location.

I agree that it’s filling a niche which is decent accommodations off-site in close proximity. It amazes me that more of those hotels aren’t being replaced. The place is almost always booked and the rates I’ve seen are usually $300-$500/night. However, at the end of the day, it’s still just a courtyard Marriott (what are they 3 Star resorts?). And I just don’t want to pay that for a courtyard, I usually chose one of the DL hotels b/c I also get EMH.

I've never understood why that courtyard is so $$$. We are Marriott associates, so we go where associate rates pop up. We can generally get them at FFI, and both RIs, but never at courtyard. To us, the RI (especially new one at katella/harbor) is way more valuable because of the suites with full kitchens, and free breakfast. The water park is a nice selling point I guess but when we do Disney we're gone from 7am to 10pm and then we drop dead and do it all over again...so that's all a non-issue for us. I think the new RI is super underrated.

Ok Smartlabelprint (and others) HELP ME!! I'm down to the 2 hotels!! I'm torn between Tropicana & Fairfield Inn! Help me decide? It's just me and my adult daughter. I have a CPAP machine that I need to accommodate for, so I called Tropicana and talked to a very nice lady who assured me they have plenty of plug ins, and even a little extra table that I could use to put it on if need be. They seem to have everything we need! I was afraid of them initially because of past reviews of **** roaches, but I'm hoping that issue has been resolved with the new and improved renovations! One of the other things I was worried about was their mattresses because I have a bad back, and also I don't like memory foam ones, and she even gave me the name of the mattresses, I looked them up, they sound very nice! She said people ask for them for their home use! The last thing is, we are getting in super early, like by the time we get there from the airport it will be about 730a, and she said we could either book another night ($$$) or take a chance and they will text us when a room is ready. I know that the Fairfield has a deal where you pay only $25 for early check in, but is that a good reason to stay there instead? Keep in mind, we are flying from Alaska on a non stop flight that is over 5 hours, and I'm not a good plane sleeper. They also renovated their rooms recently, and I've stayed there before, the only thing I remember not liking is their tiny bathrooms where it was hard to close the door once you are using the facilities (sorry for TMI) Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions welcome!
Did you end up deciding on a hotel? Oddly enough, I am having the same predicament for our last minute stay next month. I just can't decide...

I haven’t stayed at either. I’d stay at one with more comfortable beds.

Did you end up deciding on a hotel? Oddly enough, I am having the same predicament for our last minute stay next month. I just can't decide...
Yes, and there is a TWIST! I decided on Tropicana for 4 nights, then we are moving to...(DRUMROLL...) GCH for the last 2 nights! I know it sounds crazy, and truthfully it is considering the cost is more for the 2 nights than it would have been for all 6 nights at the Tropicana. My justification has got a few answers; 1) I really wanted to be able to get to the parks early for at least a few mornings. 2) My daughter and I will likely not be going on a trip alone again for a long time 3) We are eating Thanksgiving at Storyteller's, and how convenient will it be to be able to saunter back to our room to take a nap afterwards? 4) Just because!! I loved it the one and only other time I stayed there, and am anxious to see & experience the refurbished rooms, and pool area
So there you have it!! A split stay!

I haven’t stayed at either. I’d stay at one with more comfortable beds.
According to the lady at the front desk who I talked to at Tropicana, people ask for the mattress specifically. It's also a tad closer than FFI. Also, I've never stayed at the Tropicana, and I like to try new places.

Who are you choosing between?
See answer above! :)

Oh and the lady at the Chase Disney Visa hotline gave us the AP rate, which brought the rate down a tad more. It's still ridiculously expensive, but that's Disney and peak holiday time for ya! They are throwing in a $20 dining credit and some fastpasses, which are kind of moot since we will both have Maxpass, but that's ok. I also requested a monorail view room like my husband and I had. I really enjoyed that! I did look into the DL (didn't consider PPH at all, too far for me) but the DL would have been a standard room for not that much less per night. Truthfully, I am positive we would have been happy there too, but I just truly love using the private entrance to DCA, since that is such a favorite of mine!!

Oh and the lady at the Chase Disney Visa hotline gave us the AP rate, which brought the rate down a tad more. It's still ridiculously expensive, but that's Disney and peak holiday time for ya! They are throwing in a $20 dining credit and some fastpasses, which are kind of moot since we will both have Maxpass, but that's ok. I also requested a monorail view room like my husband and I had. I really enjoyed that! I did look into the DL (didn't consider PPH at all, too far for me) but the DL would have been a standard room for not that much less per night. Truthfully, I am positive we would have been happy there too, but I just truly love using the private entrance to DCA, since that is such a favorite of mine!!
That’s very exciting. Have an awesome trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter