1 piece of luggage??

A lot of non-USA airlines also have much stricter rules about the size of carry-ons. Their allowance for size (and weight) can be MUCH less than domestic US airlines. Make *sure* you research what the requirements are for your flight before you go!

Sayhello

Yes to that! My easily carry-on size luggage I use all the time in the US was no where near small enough to fit IcelandAir's requirements. All my hard worked "carry on only" plans for that trip, dashed at check in!

Wow! It's a good thing I'm working on packing light lol. Thanks!

I have never done an ABD, but we travel to Europe generally twice a year for 12-14 days at at time. We travel on our own, not any kind of organized tour. I do check a bag, that is a 25" eBags rolling suitcase by no means a huge suitcase) and my carryon is a rolling tote..it would probably fit under my seat if I need it too, but always put it in the overhead compartment. In that bag, I generally keep a smaller bag and my iPad and a scarf that I use during the flight. When we depart from our home airport, my bag is always in the 39-41 pound range for reference.

Anyway, I like to have choices when I pack. I also like to feel "put together" as wearing the same things over and over on vacation does not sound like a vacation to me. As a matter of fact, I always find myself buying a few new things for every trip that then become part of my daily wardrobe. For the record, we almost NEVER do any kind of laundry on vacation, either. Here are a few of my tips:

1. I pack according to my general style. For example, for a fall or a spring trip, I generally back 5 pairs of jeans and a pair of leggings and 12 or so knit tops, some that are short sleeve t-shirts (not graphic), some a bit dressier, three quarter sleeve or long sleeve knit tops etc. However, all are relatively thin and do not wrinkle. I can fit all my tops packed tightly in one medium eBags packing cube. I then pack a fleece or jacket, sometimes 2 if it is colder (in that case one goes on my carryon), probably a cardigan and a couple of scarves to dress up my look. All the tops generally match all the bottoms. I usually bring 4 pairs of shoes total (wear one of course). Usually a leather flat, a pair or two of low profile sneakers (not running shoes or clunky white leather shoes) and maybe a leather bootie in cooler weather, or a second pair of flats or some type of sandal in warmer weather.
2. I have learned over the years that in spite of all of our good intentions, we never change our clothes for dinner. This alone saves a ton of space and planning. Our normal clothes, while not dressy, are generally very appropriate and fine for almost any dining venue, unless you are going to something extremely fancy. So, I stick to packing day time clothes and some pajamas. I have also learned to really only pack pajama bottoms as one of my solid color t-shirts from early in the trip, can be worn as a top for the evening and sleeping..
3. I have also become very efficient in packing just what I need for toiletries, as this is where I find I lose the most space and weight. Also, any longer every hotel in Europe seems to provide a hairdryer so people are not blowing fuses. Because of this, I no longer travel with my European voltage dryer, which also saves space.
4. We also try to limit the number of extra things we bring. For example, I travel with my iPad, not a full laptop. I can access what I need through the Microsoft Office 365 portal for work if I choose to look at anything and I have access to email. I load books on the kindle app. I have stopped bringing lots of maps and atlases and use the navigation on my iphone instead. (we always rent an unlimited wi-fi hot spot). I have a duffle bag that folks up into a small pouch should we need another bag on the way home for souvenirs or anything like that. We have also used it as a beach bag on some trips.

That is all I can think of for now, but I am sure I will think of more.

I have never done an ABD, but we travel to Europe generally twice a year for 12-14 days at at time. We travel on our own, not any kind of organized tour. I do check a bag, that is a 25" eBags rolling suitcase by no means a huge suitcase) and my carryon is a rolling tote..it would probably fit under my seat if I need it too, but always put it in the overhead compartment. In that bag, I generally keep a smaller bag and my iPad and a scarf that I use during the flight. When we depart from our home airport, my bag is always in the 39-41 pound range for reference.

Anyway, I like to have choices when I pack. I also like to feel "put together" as wearing the same things over and over on vacation does not sound like a vacation to me. As a matter of fact, I always find myself buying a few new things for every trip that then become part of my daily wardrobe. For the record, we almost NEVER do any kind of laundry on vacation, either. Here are a few of my tips:

1. I pack according to my general style. For example, for a fall or a spring trip, I generally back 5 pairs of jeans and a pair of leggings and 12 or so knit tops, some that are short sleeve t-shirts (not graphic), some a bit dressier, three quarter sleeve or long sleeve knit tops etc. However, all are relatively thin and do not wrinkle. I can fit all my tops packed tightly in one medium eBags packing cube. I then pack a fleece or jacket, sometimes 2 if it is colder (in that case one goes on my carryon), probably a cardigan and a couple of scarves to dress up my look. All the tops generally match all the bottoms. I usually bring 4 pairs of shoes total (wear one of course). Usually a leather flat, a pair or two of low profile sneakers (not running shoes or clunky white leather shoes) and maybe a leather bootie in cooler weather, or a second pair of flats or some type of sandal in warmer weather.
2. I have learned over the years that in spite of all of our good intentions, we never change our clothes for dinner. This alone saves a ton of space and planning. Our normal clothes, while not dressy, are generally very appropriate and fine for almost any dining venue, unless you are going to something extremely fancy. So, I stick to packing day time clothes and some pajamas. I have also learned to really only pack pajama bottoms as one of my solid color t-shirts from early in the trip, can be worn as a top for the evening and sleeping..
3. I have also become very efficient in packing just what I need for toiletries, as this is where I find I lose the most space and weight. Also, any longer every hotel in Europe seems to provide a hairdryer so people are not blowing fuses. Because of this, I no longer travel with my European voltage dryer, which also saves space.
4. We also try to limit the number of extra things we bring. For example, I travel with my iPad, not a full laptop. I can access what I need through the Microsoft Office 365 portal for work if I choose to look at anything and I have access to email. I load books on the kindle app. I have stopped bringing lots of maps and atlases and use the navigation on my iphone instead. (we always rent an unlimited wi-fi hot spot). I have a duffle bag that folks up into a small pouch should we need another bag on the way home for souvenirs or anything like that. We have also used it as a beach bag on some trips.

That is all I can think of for now, but I am sure I will think of more.
It's great to hear that you are able to pack so much clothes nicely into one bag! I have to rethink how I pack the bottoms, I could definitely bring a couple less and rewear them.

I completely agree with not changing clothes for dinner! I know there are people who do this, but it's just not for me. That was the one thing about cruising that I didn't like - not that you HAVE to change for dinner every night, but when you're with a group of people that are changing every night you feel like you have to lol.

Using the tip I learned from a previous poster of using the same color scheme for my clothes, I should be able to lessen the amount of shoes I pack, which will save a lot of weight and space! Pajamas I'm usually good with when it comes to packing, because I usually rewear the same ones for awhile.

The toiletries will be my next issue to resolve, because they do tend to take up the most space and weight! I tend to pack full sizes of things when I really don't need to.

Extra stuff usually ends up being packed at the end of my packing, but I'm going to try what a previous poster said and put everything together, but wait until everything is ready before packing it into the luggage, so I don't end up throwing extra things into a suitcase unnecessarily. The iPad is an awesome all in one tool for books, internet, games, music, movies, etc!

Thanks for the tips! Please come back if you think of more, I'm learning so much from this thread!

Agree with not changing for dinner also. However, we were recently in Japan and the weather was 85-95 degrees with 90% humidity. Needless to say you would sweat all day. What we did was change our clothes for dinner (didn't want to get back into the sweaty clothes after a shower), then wear the same dinner outfit the next day. Sweat through those, then do the same. So, it was really just an offset.

Anyway, I like to have choices when I pack. I also like to feel "put together" as wearing the same things over and over on vacation does not sound like a vacation to me. As a matter of fact, I always find myself buying a few new things for every trip that then become part of my daily wardrobe. For the record, we almost NEVER do any kind of laundry on vacation, either.

It's the choices issue that gets me--and changeable weather. I also don't do laundry on vacation. I'm always trying to pack lighter, but it just never happens, I'm usually in the 45-50lb category. Cruises are the worst. That's where you do kind of have to change for dinner. My worst showing was on a girl's trip with my friend when I think I had 9 (or 11?) pairs of shoes for a 5 day cruise. Some of those were flip flops and tennis shoes, but still!

Anyway, with my standard 45-50lb checked bag, you can imagine my stress right now as I'm trying to pack for a 2 week hiking trip where the maximum weight we can have is 22lbs!!! This is because the bags are carried by mules so it isn't a "I'll just pay more for overage situation." I'm dying. I just can't do the two pairs of pants and washing out shirts/underwear thing. Although I may have to. I have so much other stuff that i need to carry with me (toiletries, medicines, emergency packs, etc.), that I probably only have about 10-15 lbs for the clothes. Pretty much my own personal nightmare :)

Agree with not changing for dinner also. However, we were recently in Japan and the weather was 85-95 degrees with 90% humidity. Needless to say you would sweat all day. What we did was change our clothes for dinner (didn't want to get back into the sweaty clothes after a shower), then wear the same dinner outfit the next day. Sweat through those, then do the same. So, it was really just an offset.
Oh definitely, I wouldn't want to wear sweaty clothes to dinner. I just hate changing clothes for the sake of changing clothes for dinner lol.

It's the choices issue that gets me--and changeable weather. I also don't do laundry on vacation. I'm always trying to pack lighter, but it just never happens, I'm usually in the 45-50lb category. Cruises are the worst. That's where you do kind of have to change for dinner. My worst showing was on a girl's trip with my friend when I think I had 9 (or 11?) pairs of shoes for a 5 day cruise. Some of those were flip flops and tennis shoes, but still!

Anyway, with my standard 45-50lb checked bag, you can imagine my stress right now as I'm trying to pack for a 2 week hiking trip where the maximum weight we can have is 22lbs!!! This is because the bags are carried by mules so it isn't a "I'll just pay more for overage situation." I'm dying. I just can't do the two pairs of pants and washing out shirts/underwear thing. Although I may have to. I have so much other stuff that i need to carry with me (toiletries, medicines, emergency packs, etc.), that I probably only have about 10-15 lbs for the clothes. Pretty much my own personal nightmare :)

I agree about the dramatic change in temperatures and that is why thinking in layers is really the way to go. I feel for you going a trip with only 22 pounds! I do not like wearing the same thing over and over and am not much into doing laundry in a sink. Maybe I am a bit of a princess. I like certain toiletries too and going without makes my day get off to a bad start...lol! I know people recommend things like convertible pants and those kinds of things - maybe for a hiking trip you are going to have to give in. Good luck!

As for the cruises, I don't have that issue and my husband says never again. I guess never say never as he has mentioned he might do one to see St. Petersburg. But I am sure we will go on a cruise line that does not require dressing for dinner because he is not going to do that. My husband is quite fashionable and not a slob my any means, but having to wear a sport coat to eat mediocre food is where he draws the line.

Oh definitely, I wouldn't want to wear sweaty clothes to dinner. I just hate changing clothes for the sake of changing clothes for dinner lol.

This is exactly what I meant in my post, too. Bringing a fancy top or a dress or two thinking I was going to change never happened. So now I no longer bother. I always end up having an extra top or two should I spill something or have a reason to need to change.

Now when I travel in the summer, I will bring a few simple skirts or maybe a dress that can be worn during the day (which I prefer to shorts) and in that case, those will also be worn to dinner.

The toiletries will be my next issue to resolve, because they do tend to take up the most space and weight! I tend to pack full sizes of things when I really don't need to.
Lots of places sell empty travel-sized small plastic bottles & tubs these days. I've gotten them at CVS (or any of the large pharmacies), at Bed, Bath & Beyond, at Target and at AAA. They are REALLY useful!

Sayhello

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Man, I don't envy you packing for that trip! That would be my nightmare, too!!!!

Sayhello

Omg I feel for you! If I pack one bag its usually 45-50 lbs, which is why I usually pack two! I refuse to pay for overage fees, so I make it work lol.

22lbs for 2 weeks?!?!?!? Please come back and post how you make out with this! Wishing you the best of luck!

I agree about the dramatic change in temperatures and that is why thinking in layers is really the way to go. I feel for you going a trip with only 22 pounds! I do not like wearing the same thing over and over and am not much into doing laundry in a sink. Maybe I am a bit of a princess. I like certain toiletries too and going without makes my day get off to a bad start...lol! I know people recommend things like convertible pants and those kinds of things - maybe for a hiking trip you are going to have to give in. Good luck!

As for the cruises, I don't have that issue and my husband says never again. I guess never say never as he has mentioned he might do one to see St. Petersburg. But I am sure we will go on a cruise line that does not require dressing for dinner because he is not going to do that. My husband is quite fashionable and not a slob my any means, but having to wear a sport coat to eat mediocre food is where he draws the line.
I'm probably a bit of a princess too :blush: lol and I am very specific about certain things. I pack by outfit and I have to have the sneakers to match. I pack my own liquid hand soap because I hate bar soaps in hotels. I have certain toiletries that I have to use...

I'm not particularly opposed to or in love with cruises myself, but the changing for dinner did make me a little crazy. I did it, and I'd do it again, but if I was able to just go in my regular clothes I would be happier lol.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Man, I don't envy you packing for that trip! That would be my nightmare, too!!!!

Sayhello

Omg I feel for you! If I pack one bag its usually 45-50 lbs, which is why I usually pack two! I refuse to pay for overage fees, so I make it work lol.

22lbs for 2 weeks?!?!?!? Please come back and post how you make out with this! Wishing you the best of luck!

Thanks you guys. I appreciate the sympathy :) I will keep you posted, but it feels impossible right now. I have so much extra stuff I have to take for a trek like this and all that weight adds up.

This is exactly what I meant in my post, too. Bringing a fancy top or a dress or two thinking I was going to change never happened. So now I no longer bother. I always end up having an extra top or two should I spill something or have a reason to need to change.

Now when I travel in the summer, I will bring a few simple skirts or maybe a dress that can be worn during the day (which I prefer to shorts) and in that case, those will also be worn to dinner.

Yes! I'm 100% with you on this :thumbsup2

Lots of places sell empty travel-sized small plastic bottles & tubs these days. I've gotten them at CVS (or any of the large pharmacies), at Bed, Bath & Beyond, at Target and at AAA. They are REALLY useful!

Sayhello

That'll be my next investment, with the packing cubes! Thank you!

It is easier to pack light and look put together if you stick to one color theme. Think capsule wardrobe.

Definitely going to work on this! Thanks!

What kind did you decide on?? There are so many options lol. I'm going to try to pick a set to try before my next trip!

I was having a hard time deciding between ones that compressed or not. I was reading about Shacke Pak in an article and saw they had over 6,600 reviews so I picked that one. I wish my trip this month didn't get cancelled!

I was having a hard time deciding between ones that compressed or not. I was reading about Shacke Pak in an article and saw they had over 6,600 reviews so I picked that one. I wish my trip this month didn't get cancelled!
Thank you! Perfect timing - I was just going through my list from this thread and comparing the different brands. Another poster recommended Shacke as well. I think I might end up trying two different kinds if they're not too expensive.

Sorry to hear about your trip!

Original poster here with an update: I purchased my first set of packing cubes last night! I went with the eBags ultralight packing cubes, because I had an AmEx offer for eBags and they were recommended by a couple of people here. They should arrive in time for me to try them out on our next trip to WDW. After I’ve tried them out, I’ll see what I like or don’t like, and then use those observations to decide if I want to try a different kind or buy more of the ones I bought. I have a list of all of the brands everyone suggested on this thread, so I’ll use that to make my next decision! :thanks:

Thank you! Perfect timing - I was just going through my list from this thread and comparing the different brands. Another poster recommended Shacke as well. I think I might end up trying two different kinds if they're not too expensive.

I'll let you know what I think of them!

I'm going to try these techniques with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter