10 cents for a bag

Nohal

DIS Veteran
We went to 7-11 and bought a bottle of beer and bag of pretzels. I asked for 2bags so the pretzels wouldn't get crushed by the beer. The guy charged me 10 cents for each bag.:mad: Said that's what they charge in California. I didn't want to walk 2 blocks carrying a bottle of beer so I paid it. Is this really a thing in California?

Grocery stores and drug stores are not allowed to give out the cheapo plastic bags anymore. Because of that, they charge for sturdier bags or paper bags. They often lie (or are just grossly misinformed) and say that it is the law that they charge for the bag. There are some cities that do have that law, but most do not. I think they all just jumped on the bandwagon and started charging for the bags.

You learn to keep reusable bags with you. Or, if you are my husband, you buy bags every time you shop and store them in the garage thinking you will use them next time, but instead just have a giant pile of plastic bags.

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Plastics/CarryoutBags/

Proposition 67: November General Election
On November 8, 2016, California voters approved Proposition 67, the statewide Single-Use Carryout Bag Ban.

As a result, SB 270 is in effect and most grocery stores, retail stores with a pharmacy, convenience stores, food marts, and liquor stores will no longer be able to provide single-use plastic carryout bags to their customers. Instead, these stores may provide a reusable grocery bag or recycled paper bag to a customer at the point of sale at a charge of at least 10 cents. Many cities and counties have bag ordinances in place. Some of these jurisdictions’ ordinances will not be subject to this new law, depending on whether they meet certain preemption requirements. Consult your local governmental entity for more information.

Yup. It is a drive to use more reusable bags. My home city was one of the early adopters and while at fisrt it was an annoying inconvenience, now it is second nature to keep a bunch of reusable bags in the car. While it may seem like an inconvenience it really is a shift in thinking about one time use disposable products.

You can sometimes still get a free PAPER bag, but not many places have those.

But yeah, it's a thing now. You get used to bringing bags with you everywhere.

They often lie (or are just grossly misinformed) and say that it is the law that they charge for the bag. There are some cities that do have that law, but most do not. I think they all just jumped on the bandwagon and started charging for the bags.

Actually, the state now mandates the minimum charge of 10¢ for a reusable plastic bag. Otherwise, the people who bring reusable bags end up subsidizing the cost of the bags for those who don’t. There are pretty strict regulations as to what constitutes a reusable bag as well.

We are starting that on May 1st, we have tons of the reusable bags and always forget them when we go shopping. Might bring one in our suitcase JIC ;)

Yep! It’s a thing! I had to learn when I first moved to California to keep a stock of reusable bags. I actually have a couple from the Disneyland that are only $5, and use when shopping around the parks!

Its not just in CA. We have areas in WA state that have that too. In the Seattle city limits and Tacoma you have to purchase bags.

Ya, it's a thing. It started in some of the cities, but is now a state law. You should see when I forget my reusable bags on a grocery run. I absolutely refuse to pay the grocery store 10 cents a bag, so all the groceries go back in the cart once they are rung up. Then they get moved to my trunk, without bags. Then I'll bag them at the car when I get home to carry them in. I might be just a bit ridiculously stubborn, but part of me is also trying to help the environment.

Grocery stores and drug stores are not allowed to give out the cheapo plastic bags anymore. Because of that, they charge for sturdier bags or paper bags. They often lie (or are just grossly misinformed) and say that it is the law that they charge for the bag.
If they provide a bag to you, they must charge a minimum of $.10. It is the law. We usually carry our own bags. But if I need a bag I have no problem with the charge. I usually reuse bags many times, and I actually prefer the paper bags myself.

Where we live in Washington almost all the cities (including ours) around us must use paper bags by law. Some stores charge for the bags and some do not. At this point that is still discretionary here.

Yep. It's the law. Passed twice actually. It can be inconvenient. I keep a bag of bags I've purchased in my car but many times I forget them in the car. So I either have to buy more or just carry the stuff out to the car and then put it into a bag. If I don't have too much, I refuse the bag. Today I went to the store, went to get my bags from the back, and realized I'd taken them all out last weekend when we were hauling stuff. I bought a few items here and there at several stops and just loaded up the back of my van.

My biggest issue is that these bags, pretty nice and thick and reusable, still end up in the trash by many people. Now it's like someone is throwing away 10 bags worth of plastic. I honestly don't know how much it helps the environment.

Its not just in CA. We have areas in WA state that have that too. In the Seattle city limits and Tacoma you have to purchase bags.

Yep.

I’m in a town just next to tacoma and we don’t have the law. But it’s becomin habit anyway.

I was irked for quite awhile because we have very little garbage and so I use the grocery bags for out garbage. The idea of buying a box of grocery bags and putting it into a reusable bag that cost 1.99 just really irritates me. But I’m slowly dealing with it. Plus my town doesn’t have the law so when I run out of my massive stash of plastic bags for garbage I can go to a local store again lol.

Ya, it's a thing. It started in some of the cities, but is now a state law. You should see when I forget my reusable bags on a grocery run. I absolutely refuse to pay the grocery store 10 cents a bag, so all the groceries go back in the cart once they are rung up. Then they get moved to my trunk, without bags. Then I'll bag them at the car when I get home to carry them in. I might be just a bit ridiculously stubborn, but part of me is also trying to help the environment.

My brother does that. :)

Yep, we figured that one out last year. We go to 7-11 almost every morning and night when we're at Disneyland to get our water/soda ($1-2/per bottle cheaper than in the parks!) but choose to never get the bags. We actually bought their reusable Mickey Mouse bag a few trips back, planning on reusing it to lug stuff back to the hotel on our trips and keep forgetting to pack it in the suitcase! lol

P.S. the workers at the 7-11 at Harbor/Katella are some of the nicest people...I think they start to recognize us from coming in there so much haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter