13.1 You Wish Upon A Star...a Tink Race and Mother's Day Trip Report! (complete)

roxymama

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my first official Disneyland Trip Report covering the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and Mother's Day weekend!

Cast

@roxymama That's me!
I'm 36, Full-time working mom of a 4yr old, Running Enthusiast & Disney Obsessive. I've been to WDW a bunch of times but this is only my second trip (in 12+ years!) to DL/DCA!
My hobbies include drinking caffeine, hoarding makeup and clothes, and cooking/baking all the food.

This is me attempting to be cool.
sunglasses.jpg

but this would be a little more accurate...running clothes, glasses and ponytail...always:
tr1.jpg

@AuntieBean is my sister who lives in Austin, TX with her hubby, cat Neo and birdie Swoop. She's another Disney lover, but also loves Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, anything Sci-Fi, Legos, kpop, cats and pretty much anything arts n' crafty. The last time we went to WDW together was in 2005 and this is her first trip to DL/DCA. I'll refer to her as Bean during this TR. Although she's older, she's waaaay shorter than me (she's gonna give me a hard time for saying that) so she's still my "little sister." :)

tr2.jpg

And finally we have our matriarch...our mama...M.E.
She's the original Disney lover of the family, taking us to WDW often when we were younger and outfitting us in all the coolest Ariel and Belle stuff in our youths. Mom's most recent trip was to WDW in 2014 during Halloween. Unfortunately between then and now she's had to battle colon cancer, breast cancer (beat it!) and now the colon cancer again. She's fighting the good fight and in between treatments so at the last minute got the all clear to join us if she felt up to it. So there will be quite a bit of information about getting around the parks in a wheelchair which was new to all of us. Oh, and her favorite is Minnie.

tr3.jpg

Brief History/Motivation for this trip:
Back in 2015 my good friend signed up for the WDW full marathon and something in my brain clicked that I'd like to eventually give running through a disney park a go. I was 0% a runner, but enjoyed long walks at leisurely paces. I was also carrying around some extra weight and my lifestyle was getting more sedentary the farther removed from my 20's I got. So I started training for 5ks with the goal of the 2016 WDW 5k in January. I went a little crazy and ended up running a 5k almost every month. Joining the disboard's WISH/running threads got me really hooked. In 2016 I ran my first 10k(s) and a 15k all as a lead up to the ultimate #1 bucket list running goal off all time...The 2017 Tinkerbell Half Marathon!!
You can read all about my journey, training and race recaps in my running journal in my signature. I've gone from a borderline XL to a Med in a lot of clothes...improved my race pace by minutes...and fallen in love with running around all over the place. It's also an amazing excuse to get to Disney parks more often.
I needed an accomplice for my trip and my sister quickly agreed to join me as my cheering squad so we soon had an all girls weekend in the works with my mom added on for extra specialness since it would be Mother's Day weekend.

Stay tuned for three days of fun, sweat, and happy tears...

Last edited:

Looking forward to reading along. My family all calls me "Bean" I really have no idea why so find it cool your sister is "Bean" as well. Glad your mom was able to come along, she sounds like a fighter!

Happy Thoughts Thunk...Flying to Disneyland!
So after hours and hours of packing my one little plaid purple carryon (Christmas present from hubby that I not so subtlety asked for) with everything I could possibly need...

Including outfits loosely channeling various princess-folk (raps, belle, and sleepy)
IMG_9963.JPG

And obsessing over what cute but unnecessary things to tie to my running shoes
IMG_9721.JPG

And squashing my fairy wings into my luggage...

It was time to set off. And boy was I excited but suuuuuper nervous! It's not everyday I venture to California by myself to go run a bazillion miles. The "do I have everything" and "will the flight go ok" anxiety was high. But I was determined to have the Best Day Ever!
IMG_9753.JPG

Luckily I had a cutie dropping me off at the airport so I wouldn't be all by myself for too long. (Don't worry, my hubby drove!)

IMG_9964.JPG
Roxykiddo still only thinks I went and did a Tink race and Disney characters were there and she doesn't really know Disney world is anywhere but Florida. So that's how I got passed my mom guilt. Plus she's going to WDW in October. Also we later found out she thought California was on Mars.

Once through security I realized every line for breakfast food was packed and so I grabbed a sad little granola bar and a stack of magazines which in hindsight...I shoulda had a bigger breakfast. But at least I got the most flattering pic I've ever taken out of it!
IMG_9757.JPG

So fast forward the 15 hour flight from Chicago (I'm exaggerating...it was like 16 hours...ok it was 4....years.). I arrived at John Wayne airport 20 min early and my sis arrived from Texas only a few minutes late...so she was literally waiting for me at my gate. Mom had flown in the night before so we just had to Uber over to our hotel and call the wheelchair rental place to deliver it to the hotel. And it all was going easy peasy.

At this point I was staaaaarving and jonesing for caffeine so it was great that things were going smoothly because I wanted to go EAT! Up next, our hotel + downtown Disney lunch + the race Expo!

Tropicana and Turkey!
We arrived at our hotel, the Tropicana Inn, only about 20 minutes (maybe less) after getting in our uber.
IMG_9965.JPG
The biggest reason we picked this hotel is it's location. It's on Harbor Blvd literally a few seconds away from the crosswalk entrance to Disneyland. I knew there were closer options for my race on Sunday but being this close to the park esplanade was really convenient for us for all our park going.

IMG_9966.JPG
When we booked it I was fully expecting a motel type room with not many frills. This was the room pic on the website.

IMG_9967.JPG

But when we got there we were given one of their fully remodeled rooms on the second floor (we could've waited for a first floor but once they said they had an elevator we jumped at having a ready room.) The wheelchair showed up right after we checked in. And here's the awesome room we got.

IMG_9968.JPG

IMG_9969.JPG
The bathroom was pretty and it was all updated. Score! Felt a little more magical than what I was expecting. Still a motel...but nice. Our room was set kinda far back which was tough on tired feet but actually made it a bit quiet and we like quiet :)

And one final perk...it had The Cove market which meant I got coffee every morning and snacks/drinks when needed. Room had fridge and microwave. Would stay again. (But secretly want to try DL hotel one day). This wasn't a deluxe resort situation afterall but still worked for us!

IMG_9970.JPG

So I had three main goals for the day. Put food in my belly. Go to the race expo. And go to a park. We decided to head through downtown Disney and stop to eat somewhere before going to the race expo inside DL Hotel,
IMG_9971.JPG

This was our first experience pushing mom in a chair. She does not have any mobility issues and can walk around just fine...it's a stamina issue from the chemo treatments that would have made touring the park really impossible without it. Plus she always had a seat when she needed one. We had a learning curve with it but at least I've had tons of stroller practice in the last few years.

And then I saw it....
IMG_9972.JPG
No not the lego store...farther down...

The Earl of Sandwich! I didn't get a pic, so @AuntieBean feel free to post sandwich pics if you have em :)

Bean and I both partook of the Thanksgiving Turkey sandwich (because how could you not) and Ma had a salad. It was great weather under their outdoor covered patio and I finally in that moment felt like this was vacation!
IMG_9973.JPG

And then I bought us all macarons from a cart because I watch too many youtubes about the best Disney snacks. Also it made mom happy. (Raspberry Creme for her, lemon for bean and latte crunch for me)

IMG_9974.JPG

Next up Expo and expo swag and too many dang ramps!

I'm realizing I'm long winded and this report is gonna take me a week to write so I'll try to ramble less :)

Last edited:
BEST DAY EVER!

roxykiddo looks super sassy in that picture! I'm digging it.

And look at that ROOM! It's pretty! Way better than the website picture...

Loving your ramblings, keep them up!!!

Chuckled at the Disney vlog food decisions - I do the same thing! Quite a few podcast ideas too. Each visit to DLR I'll have something new for the family to try.

Looking forward to the rest of the report especially the race - I clearly remember my first half 16 odd years ago, had no idea how hard it was going to be. That feeling at the end almost can't be beat.

Ramble On!

Reading along! Glad you had an easy travel day over to John Wayne and your room was ready!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter