14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...MARDI GRAS-MINIONS-HARRY & MORE...MARCH 2019 TR

View attachment 383313
These are the chiles I spoke of. Best way to eat them is roast, peel remove seeds stuff with cheese, fry with a flour and egg coating (green one's only) Chile Rellenos. Or as a green chile stew in varying forms, or a green sauce for enchiladas, eggs etc. The red are best dried and made into a powder for a chile sauce for enchiladas, Tamales, carne adovada etc.

They are about 7-8 inches long, range in heat from mild (me) to Xtra hot (you), they are very meaty but definitely need the skin off and the seeds out.
They are so famous that they have a patent on them.

Guess Tom is a year younger than my sis. Threw me off with the 22nd birthday in 1982.

Me and Typo`s...….yep, he was born in 1959...…

They look so nice..….yes, roasted with cream cheese in the middle is one way we like that style of chiilies......but I generally have them with everything. Our local deli sells Scotch Bonnet and another Ghost Chilli one.....wow!!!

I purchased one to plant called basket of fire.....we sow them inside in February, plant outside in May and the chillies come to fruition from July through October......they`re a bit like bullet style ones, very small and fiery.....this is my third year with that one.....would love to try some different ones, but I`m not really a gardener.....:D

I've been to Morimoto and loved it. I am thinking I'll take Davy to the Boathouse at Christmas. If you go there, let me know how it is! Also, Jock Lindsays Hangar Bar is from Indiana Jones -- you may have known that. And, I need Tom's private email so I can tell him about a certain area he needs to see there... ;)

lol......he`ll never here it from me!!!!! :rolleyes1

jk…….I did tell him, but it`s not something he`ll go to as we`re only there for a short visit.....maybe if Kyle was there but not with me.......he knows me so well...…..

Yes, knew where the name came from, but just didn't know it was there, now I do love the Indiana Jones movies.....although not the fourth one :sad2:...…..I think that one and the Homecomin' place are favourites right now...…

Although now I find out there`s a coca cola place with a balcony area...…..:D

I have tried all 3 of the restaurants on your list! I have to say for me personally Morimoto and The Boathouse were my favorite with Homecomin a close second. We had appetizers at Homecomin, a whole lot of biscuits. Andi really loves spicy like you and she didn’t think the thigh high chicken biscuits were very spicy. I thought they were very good and I could taste a little spice, although, I am a wimp!

I know you can often walk up to all 3 at lunch without a reservation and get in without a significant wait.

After looking at your post, I want Nachos for breakfast:rotfl:

After catching up on the last 3 pages, I'm suddenly starving. Lol.

Homecomin' is on our list to try in November. But now all this talk of sitting at the bar has sparked my interest. It would be super fun to hit the bar area at a few places and try an appetizer and drink at each!

I have tried all 3 of the restaurants on your list! I have to say for me personally Morimoto and The Boathouse were my favorite with Homecomin a close second. We had appetizers at Homecomin, a whole lot of biscuits. Andi really loves spicy like you and she didn’t think the thigh high chicken biscuits were very spicy. I thought they were very good and I could taste a little spice, although, I am a wimp!

I know you can often walk up to all 3 at lunch without a reservation and get in without a significant wait.

After looking at your post, I want Nachos for breakfast:rotfl:

Well, Tom just escalated Boathouse back up to top after looking at the menu...….I`m still keen on Homecomin' but hearing it`s not spicy enough for Andi is giving me doubt......I love spicy....very spicy, so may be disappointed in that!!! Oh so many decisions...……

Good to know we can do walk ups......I think it would be an early lunch, maybe go in around 11.30 as I think that`ll be enough for us..….

Caroline, was it you who bought the Haunted Mansion tea towels.....and can you get them at Disney Springs.....I have a memory of someone getting them but not sure if it was only in the parks you could get them?? I did like them....….

Nachos is an anytime food ::yes::...….It`s 5 o Clock somewhere doesn't just go for Margaritas...….:D

After catching up on the last 3 pages, I'm suddenly starving. Lol.

Homecomin' is on our list to try in November. But now all this talk of sitting at the bar has sparked my interest. It would be super fun to hit the bar area at a few places and try an appetizer and drink at each!

Yep, food pictures will do that!!!

We love bar hopping......we had a mini bar crawl last Mardi Gras...….but the rain came on and parade was cancelled....so we couldn't finish it and we just headed back to the hotel......to the bar......lol...…

Fun way to spend an evening...….::yes::

We missed Cowfish out in December as it`s somewhere that wouldn't be Kyle`s first choice to eat....he doesn't eat sushi (trying to convert him) and burgers aren't high on his list of food he enjoys.....but we do like this place a lot...….
:eek: :faint: :scared1:

Burgers aren't high on his list of foods!!!! :faint: My dream job would be to go around doing a food vlog of just burgers and fries :laughing: :woohoo: ::yes:: I could eat a hamburger once a day and NOT get sick of them!!!!!! I love a good burger or sandwich. It's just too bad that bread doesn't really agree with my tummy the last little while...and I do indulge in once in a while, I just feel sooo yucky after eating it.

The daughter and I ate at Homecomin when we were in Florida. We both loved it. It was very good. We had one night ( our arrival day ) to explore there, and we picked there to eat that night. We were not disappointed. I'm sure out of the three, you would enjoy any of the meals.

Yep, food pictures will do that!!!

We love bar hopping......we had a mini bar crawl last Mardi Gras...….but the rain came on and parade was cancelled....so we couldn't finish it and we just headed back to the hotel......to the bar......lol...…

Fun way to spend an evening...….::yes::

I have to know now. In your opinion, which is the best bar for drinks/food?

Joining! We’ll be at Universal right after you, 4/3-4/6, with my parents for their first time.

Thanks for the summary of your Universal restaurant choices! I agree, we are staying at PBR and the food choices don’t thrill me as we’ve stayed there before. One night I might have my parents take the girls out and DH and I will go to The Palm or Orchids...

I’d recommend The Boathouse 100%. All four of us loved it and my DH grew up working in his uncles seafood restaurant just outside of Boston so he’s got insanely high standards for seafood! And like you, I do enjoy a good Chardonnay ;)

.I`m still keen on Homecomin' but hearing it`s not spicy enough for Andi is giving me doubt......I love spicy....very spicy,
Just to add to this, at Homecoming they put hot sauce on the table that you can add to just about everything. We put it on the chicken and it is delicious. Also last year we got a moonshine flight that came with a pickle shot which was pickle juice and hot sauce, so you can get your fix that way also. :drinking1

I have to know now. In your opinion, which is the best bar for drinks/food?

Oh where to begin...…..:D

Citywalk….Probably the best bar and snacks are in Margaritaville...…..Sean the barman is the best.....they are chatty and make you so welcome, and make heck of a good cocktails too!!! We love the shrimp appetiser and of course the Nachos is too big as a snack, but it hasn't stopped us from getting it and just eating what we want of it...….

NBC has a smaller bar but you can still sit and get snacks too...…

The little open area stands in Citywalk also serve nice cocktails......

IOA......The Backwater Bar to the side of Confisco Grill (one of our favourites) is excellent......James is a hoot behind the bar and they don't have a huge selection of cocktails, but they`re good and again, nice little snacks including a nachos....ideal snack size for two.....

Studios......for cocktails, Finnegans…..not somewhere we ever eat in, but the bar is a very social place....Jim, one of the barmen has worked there for years along with a few others......strong cocktails.....I`m not sure you can get snacks at the bar as we only ever go there during events when I think you have to have a table to eat, not at the bar...…

Chez Alcatraz is right beside Bruce.....Jaws picture opportunity......they have amazing snacks, small bar and they have tables.....it`s an outdoor place so very weather dependent.....

The open bar opposite Simpsons food court was our one disappointment......I got a rum daiquiri and couldn't taste a drop of alcohol in it......and we got a double as someone had told us their pours weren't the strongest......worst drink in the parks...…

Jake`s Bar in RPR is fabulous...….you can sit at the bar with drinks, snacks and food.....beautiful cocktails.....I would have said Orchids too has a bar you can sit at, but with the revamp it`ll be a lovely surprise to see what they do there...….

Bula Bar too......they have a bar, we never sit there as you can smoke there, but again, food and drinks......the Shipwrecked Nachos is amazing!!!!

5 minutes away is Orlando Ale House......fabulous!!!!!

That covers where we have enjoyed drinks and cocktails......with and without snacks at times...….:flower3:

:eek: :faint: :scared1:

Burgers aren't high on his list of foods!!!! :faint: My dream job would be to go around doing a food vlog of just burgers and fries :laughing: :woohoo: ::yes:: I could eat a hamburger once a day and NOT get sick of them!!!!!! I love a good burger or sandwich. It's just too bad that bread doesn't really agree with my tummy the last little while...and I do indulge in once in a while, I just feel sooo yucky after eating it.

The daughter and I ate at Homecomin when we were in Florida. We both loved it. It was very good. We had one night ( our arrival day ) to explore there, and we picked there to eat that night. We were not disappointed. I'm sure out of the three, you would enjoy any of the meals.

lol.....he eats them, but not with a bun....and he doesn't like all the stuff that goes with it...mayo, ketchup or tomatoes are not his thing......I make them at home and he enjoys them but it`s not something he would choose eating out...….

Have you ever gone to Teak Neighborhood Grill? Five minutes from Universal and amazing!!!!!

Homecomin' and Boathouse seem to be tying for top two...…..:ssst:

Joining! We’ll be at Universal right after you, 4/3-4/6, with my parents for their first time.

Thanks for the summary of your Universal restaurant choices! I agree, we are staying at PBR and the food choices don’t thrill me as we’ve stayed there before. One night I might have my parents take the girls out and DH and I will go to The Palm or Orchids...

I’d recommend The Boathouse 100%. All four of us loved it and my DH grew up working in his uncles seafood restaurant just outside of Boston so he’s got insanely high standards for seafood! And like you, I do enjoy a good Chardonnay ;)

WELCOME along micheleq…...so glad you joined in.....:)

Oh you would love The Palm.....it`s such a lovely all round experience, and food is good!!!! Not sure when Orchids will close for the refurb, that might keep till your next visit...….::yes::

It`s a shame about the food at PB, I`d love to say it thrills us, but it just doesn't...….so many other good choices around though...…

Oh I do remember you saying your parents were visiting with you in April!!!! That`ll be so exciting to see their reaction to everything......I hope they and you have a truly wonderful trip.....

Oh someone who grew up with Boston seafood...….now that's a recommendation I`ll take.....::yes::

Yep, West of Scotland seafood is wonderful, I grew up with that, and we in this area where we are now are famous for the best crabs ever.....spoilt for choice, so yes, although we do enjoy Red Lobster lol.....don't laugh.....we much prefer the freshest seafood possible......Big Fin Seafood is close by and we went with a friend ages ago from the hotel who knew the chef, the chef spoke to us once about where he goes to get the freshest he can......and then said ssshhhhh it`s a secret...….lol...….

And a good chardonnay is never to be ignored...….lol...…

Again, welcome along, hope you enjoy this one :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Just to add to this, at Homecoming they put hot sauce on the table that you can add to just about everything. We put it on the chicken and it is delicious. Also last year we got a moonshine flight that came with a pickle shot which was pickle juice and hot sauce, so you can get your fix that way also. :drinking1

WELCOME EvilVillainess..…...glad you`re here....

Oh I am loving the sound of the hot sauce on the table...….that`ll draw me in straight away!!!!

Now, never heard of a pickle shot???? And added hot sauce??? That really is a new one on me......I think that's something Tom would try…….he`s a big fan of pickle......

Now I`m wondering if we should get a cab and go at night instead of for lunch...….:rotfl:

Thanks for the recommendations.....always glad to hear them......and hope you enjoy the report too....:thumbsup2

So, our plans usually involve some kind of days away from Orlando, and only last year did we discover the beautiful and elegant St Augustine.

A few folks were surprised when we said we had never visited this city before then as we had been going for such a long time, and stayed a little longer on our trips. I agreed, I wasn't sure why we had never gone...….but once we had visited for the first time, we loved it. It was somewhere we could definitely spend a lot of time there.

We are thinking when we visit for a month In September we may go for an overnight and explore the ghost tours they have, and of course enjoy the vivid nightlife...….it is a fabulous place to spend a day though without an overnight stay.

It takes about two hours to drive there and it`s not the worst drive we`ve ever done......but once you hit the town itself it`s worth it.

i-sH9bQ9z-XL.jpg

One of the first images we saw was the Lightner Museum, formerly the famous Hotel Alcazar...….mainly hosting American Gilded Age antiquities.

We didn't go in to see the inside of it as I think it would take a longer time than we would want to spend inside to do it justice, but it does look interesting. And a very beautiful historic building.

I think I would have loved to have seen in in it`s former glory as the once exclusive hotel. Henry Flagler owned it, the famous industrialist who was responsible for the Florida East Coast Railway and much of the Atlantic coast of Florida. Another guy with a fascinating history of oil and involvement with the Rockefellers.

i-HTGZ7Zx-XL.jpg

Wandering around we came across a central park area between the museum and the little quaint shopping are known as St George Street.....this was a peaceful little place and we enjoyed spending some time looking at the little gun and a few other relics of their history strewn around...….and it had some good shade on a hot day!!!

i-MT78t9x-XL.jpg

Cathedral Basilica of St Augustine is another treasure we didn't go into due to our time constraints.....but it`s such a beautiful building and like everything here, so well cared for.

i-BT3Dnv9-XL.jpg

St George Street is a beautiful and quaint little street in the historic district filled with unique little stores and restaurants that are so pretty, and the street itself is unencumbered by any traffic, not even bikes are allowed....which on a quiet day was lovely, but this street gets incredibly busy during peak seasons so I couldn't imagine how any would manage if they did......so it was joy to not be looking out for bikes as we strolled around...…

This is one of many little streets like this and you can buy the usual touristy items, but they do have rather exclusive stores that sell the downright unusual.....

i-2TBztzh-XL.jpg

There are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from, here and further up.....we stopped in at Pizza Time as it had been recommended to us, and it was amazing pizza!!! We were glad we went...….our next visit we went to a seafood place and it was beautiful too. Although that was good pizza.....

But there are amazing choices to make, including Spanish and German options as well as traditional Floridian style food.....

i-B63SQJS-XL.jpg

I know we saw the Torture Museum on our first visit, and @Raeven went inside and got some pictures, it does look interesting and we do hope to pop in this next visit...….I love things like that!!!! Although I am a little squeamish at times...…..

i-qbp9GCp-XL.jpg

And beautiful architecture everywhere...…..

i-ZD296J9-XL.jpg

Some Americans say to us often, American history is nothing compared to British History......time wise, I guess not as America is much younger, but American History is fascinating and we learned so many things we never knew on our visit to here, not least they have the oldest school in America...….we didn't get to visit here either as they were closing for some reason, but it would have been a fun place to see. Well, as far as schools go...…..

i-wTSZMBH-XL.jpg

Heading down towards the waterfront are some amazing little businesses......small hotels, coffee shops, bars and strange little oddities that make brass and feather gifts and any other type of material you can think of......we were struck with how different this place was to how we imagined it was going to be...….

i-Bj42Fjb-XL.jpg

i-XDWWVHn-XL.jpg

The Waterfront and Fort area are lovely too. There are benches and it was so peaceful sitting looking out to sea, and seeing the tourist boats take folks around...…

We saw a show that involved muskets and dressing as officers in a bygone age...….it was quite interesting and kids would like it...…they show them how to fire and clean their guns..and promised a loud bang as they shot the rifles......unfortunately it was a bit of a damp squib for us as we were used to much bigger bangs in the industry we were once in...….but it was a fun little show and they did educate. And their enthusiasm was endearing. They can only put on this show if they have enough volunteers...…

i-k5dxQ22-XL.jpg

You can see a lot without going in to the Fort itself...….we just enjoyed the sunshine here for a while and it was so tranquil...….I think we were lucky there weren't a lot of school trips that day though...….it can get ultra busy someone told us.

i-DX5g7Sh-XL.jpg

i-vN7qkdX-XL.jpg

The other side of the beach area is beautiful too and amazing architecture all round the City...….

i-GZjkG5T-XL.jpg

There are so many things to do here you wouldn't get bored......there is a distillery that I know Strong Water Bar sells their products...….one of the managers at the hotels told us if we ever want to go he`ll arrange for a personal tour of the distillery, which is a lovely idea...….we just never got around to doing it last two visits...…

Our second visit was marred by a torrential downpour and massive thunderstorm......so next visit we`ll hope for better weather again like the day we had here.

That`s St Augustine in a nutshell...….there is so much more to see than we did and I`m sure we`ll do a few of the same things again.....certainly wouldn't mind a slice of pizza again!!!! But, think we`ll try something different this time...….

There`s a Pirate and Treasure museum, a wax museum, Winery and chocolate factory for those inclined to enjoy chocolate...…..a Ripley`s Believe it or not a lighthouse.....and so much more.....I think you could spend a week here and never get bored.

This is a definite place for us to visit again......what day, I`m not sure.....we usually wake up and decide.....but if we do we`ll give some notice and hopefully meet up with @JaxDad......always nice to meet up with folks on the boards..……

More ideas for offsite visits coming right up...…….

I have so much to catch up on- This looks like a fabulous trip!

I'll offer my unsolicited opinions on Disney Springs- I have been to all of the ones on your list and the BoatHouse was my favorite. They have outdoor seating on the water, which is lovely, and the food in my humble opinion was really great.

Wolfgang Puck's is new and we had a great Meal in December- I would recommend that.

Also there is a new one opening Jaleo, it was supposed to open last month- Im not sure what the delay is. But I really want to try it. In the off chance that you follow American Politics, the Chef that runs the restaurant is Chef Jose Andres. He was the chef that was down in Puerto Rico preparing food after the hurricane, and also this past January when our government shut down, he opened his Washington DC restaurant offering free meals for government employees. I enjoy Spanish Tapas so Im excited to try it (if it ever opens!)

I could talk about food all day- even if it makes me hungry...

Cant wait to hear more about your upcoming trip!

I need to plan longer vacations and see what else lies outside Orlando area... St. Augustine and Mount Dora (both from your previous TRs) look incredible!

In fact, our upcoming vacation is our first time we will venture outside the Disney or Universal bubble. I guess that's progress, lol!

I have so much to catch up on- This looks like a fabulous trip!

I'll offer my unsolicited opinions on Disney Springs- I have been to all of the ones on your list and the BoatHouse was my favorite. They have outdoor seating on the water, which is lovely, and the food in my humble opinion was really great.

Wolfgang Puck's is new and we had a great Meal in December- I would recommend that.

Also there is a new one opening Jaleo, it was supposed to open last month- Im not sure what the delay is. But I really want to try it. In the off chance that you follow American Politics, the Chef that runs the restaurant is Chef Jose Andres. He was the chef that was down in Puerto Rico preparing food after the hurricane, and also this past January when our government shut down, he opened his Washington DC restaurant offering free meals for government employees. I enjoy Spanish Tapas so Im excited to try it (if it ever opens!)

I could talk about food all day- even if it makes me hungry...

Cant wait to hear more about your upcoming trip!

WELCOME back to ckmiles......

So glad to see you back here again!!!

I’m glad to hear yoir opinions, they are very much welcome.......

I saw Jaleo, and it does look nice......I think we are torn between three now!! Boathouse, Homecomin’ and the bar place..........decisions!!!

Again, lovely to see you here and hope you enjoy this one.........:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter