144 hour China transit visa?

Yes, you should qualify for the 144 hour transit visa. I used it a few months ago when visiting from the United States-- I traveled from US > Shanghai > Hong Kong > US and had zero problems with the visa.

Yes, unless your flight from Shanghai to Tokyo is via Hong Kong.

Depending on the knowledge level of the airline check in person in the UK, you might have some trouble because they want to see your visa before checking you in (or in my case, dropping off the bags). So, be prepared and be early at the airport so that you have time to get this sorted. A call to a supervisor should usually help. It is in their database. Also, while people like to call it a visa, it is not a visa, it is an exemption from the need of a visa. So, just call it the 144-hour-visa-free-transit. Emphasize the transit aspect as this should help them find the rule in their computer.

It worked very well for us. We had a little wait upon arrival in Shanghai because it takes them quite a bit of time to process travelers under this rule.

I used it last year and had some issues at check in, because it was still relatively new. It took about 20 minutes at check in, before I got the approval. I was prepared for this as I read more people encountered this and I brought printed information about the visa from the airline's website with me.

Upon arrival no issues.

I'm planning to use the 144 transit without visa. I have my airline reservation printed out with my full name, but my hotel reservation with Disney doesn't even list my name AT ALL, let alone both of our names. I can get a screen shot that shows my name and a summary of my Disney hotel reservation, but doesn't show my companion's name. Has anyone figured out how to get a good printout of your hotel reservation from Disney that shows all of the details? I have emailed Disney Shanghai but not heard back.

I'm planning to use the 144 transit without visa. I have my airline reservation printed out with my full name, but my hotel reservation with Disney doesn't even list my name AT ALL, let alone both of our names. I can get a screen shot that shows my name and a summary of my Disney hotel reservation, but doesn't show my companion's name. Has anyone figured out how to get a good printout of your hotel reservation from Disney that shows all of the details? I have emailed Disney Shanghai but not heard back.

Not sure if this helps but mine does show my name, are you logged into Disney Shanghai and on the My Reservations page?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    188.2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks! Yes, I can get a screen shot like that. But the one they text to you or email you doesn't show your name at all, which is very odd as they are very strict about things and want the name of everyone in your party. You'd think they'd show it in your reservation details and on the email. I still have not received an email reply from Disney Shanghai.

How did you contact Disney? I used the contact form on the website and they replied within a couple of days, so try that if you haven't done so already.

When we used the 144 TWOV in February the officials didn't ask to see any hotel reservation paperwork at all, they just wanted the ongoing flight paperwork (and boy did they go over that!). I know for a Visa the hotel paperwork is very important and I think that has carried over to the Transit, but other than writing down the hotel details on the form there was nothing else they asked in connection to that.

We just visited Shanghai using a 144 hour transit visa last week by flying Sydney-Shanghai-Tokyo. They didn't ask for a hotel reservation but the form did ask for your address in Shanghai, so have that written down. They do want to see the ongoing flight reservation, so make sure you have that printed out with the names of everyone in your group.

The orange entrance forms that they handed out on the Qantas forms weren't the ones we needed, so it was a waste of time to fill those out. When we landed, we went to the far right side of the customs area where there's a line leading to a desk saying "24hour/144 hour transit visa" in English. There are blue forms on the far right wall; make sure you grab one and fill it out BEFORE joining the line or you'll waste time and be sent back. The line took quite a long time, but once we got to the front it was quite smooth.

Hope this helps

Thanks! Yes, I did use the contact link on the Disney website. Strange that they didn't reply yet.
But it's good to know they are not really looking at hotel information for the 144 twov. I do have the complete flight details printed out as well as the hotel information and address, plus a printout showing my name on the hotel, just in case.
So you can't fill the blue form out while standing in line? Do they check your forms before they let you get in line? We will be prepared for a long wait.

Did anyone try to use the online 144 twov form before your trip? I was able to get to the website but I've heard people say they were not able to successfully enter their information. I haven't tried yet.

Thanks! Yes, I did use the contact link on the Disney website. Strange that they didn't reply yet.
But it's good to know they are not really looking at hotel information for the 144 twov. I do have the complete flight details printed out as well as the hotel information and address, plus a printout showing my name on the hotel, just in case.
So you can't fill the blue form out while standing in line? Do they check your forms before they let you get in line? We will be prepared for a long wait.

Did anyone try to use the online 144 twov form before your trip? I was able to get to the website but I've heard people say they were not able to successfully enter their information. I haven't tried yet.
Hopefully they will reply soon.

So we did the online form before arriving. Once complete it produces a QR code but doesn't email it you or anything, so we ended up taking a screenshot. However, when we arrived in Shanghai the computer that reads the QR codes wasn't working (it was switched off!), so we had to complete the blue form. It wasn't an issue though, there was only one other person over there and another arrived whilst we were completing the forms. Once completed an immigration official checked our form in the queue, like I said all she asked about was the flights - she asked where we had arrived from and then wanted the paperwork for the departing flight which she spent a long time examining. Once she had finished that we waited a little bit for the other immigration official who was processed the TWOV. Again she asked where we had arrived from and wanted to see the onward flight paperwork. We had the hotel stuff printed too to be on the safe side but nobody asked to see that.

I called them. I think I used Skype. If you add money to your account you can make calls to landlines for very little money. I think there was a choice of English at the beginning and the CM was very nice and immediately sent me the confirmation with our names.

We used the 144-hour transit from Hong Kong and eventually to Seattle last year.

You fill out a form when you get to Shanghai. Don’t bother with the one they give you on the plane. It’s a special section on the far right of customs and many of the guards directed us to the wrong line before we finally figured it out for ourselves.

They definitely wanted to see our hotel reservation. We had booked with Marriott points and this caused a problem because they could not quantify our stay in money. We sorted it out eventually though.

It’s doable, but the process was nerve racking and took FOREVER. I kind of wish we’d just gotten the regular visa.

We successfully used the 144 hour visa from Korea to Shanghai with flights home to USA. They did look very closely at our flight information. They did not look at our hotel closely. The line was very short but TOOK FOREVER! We were the last people through customs/immigration. The luggage carousel wasn't even moving and our lonely bag was sitting there, thankfully. It was very stressful and nerve wracking. I did fill out the online form, but that was worthless as the machine that is supposed to pull it up wouldn't. So we filled out the paper ones. I think it you follow the rules as stated and are prepared for a long wait, the 144 hour visa is a workable option.

We are travelling from UK to Shanghai for 3 days, then to Tokyo for 8 days, then to Hong Kong for 2 day and finally home. Now Im panicking this wont qualify for the visa.

We are travelling from UK to Shanghai for 3 days, then to Tokyo for 8 days, then to Hong Kong for 2 day and finally home. Now Im panicking this wont qualify for the visa.
Why don't you think you will qualify for the 144 hour transit? The country you arrive in China from is different to the country you are leaving China for and you are there for less than 144 hours so you should be fine.

I don't see why you wouldn't qualify. Shanghai is a middle destination between two different countires and you are not staying beyond 144 hours.
Do you have accommodations booked?

Why don't you think you will qualify for the 144 hour transit? The country you arrive in China from is different to the country you are leaving China for and you are there for less than 144 hours so you should be fine.
It is just a last minute panic because we travel so soon.

I don't see why you wouldn't qualify. Shanghai is a middle destination between two different countires and you are not staying beyond 144 hours.
Do you have accommodations booked?
It is just a last minute panic because we travel so soon. Yep. Everything booked.

It is just a last minute panic because we travel so soon.
I wouldn't panic as from what you have said you meet the criteria for the 144 Transit Without Visa. Just make sure you have all your paperwork printed off ready to show the immigration officer.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter