• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

150 pts to get blue card... what happens in the future?

It is a selfish wish on my part that the MB cap goes down because that means a bad economic reality, but I believe this, too.

Also THIS. Be careful to understand what you are purchasing and what you are not!
Truth. I think we’re gonna do resale for our first contract and then decide if we truly want the perks of direct if we decide to add on. It’s hard to pay 45% more for the membership extras that aren’t even guaranteed.

Now the question of if a 2042 bw contract is a bad idea. We loved BWV so much and it’s Epcot location can’t be beat.

Now the question of if a 2042 bw contract is a bad idea. We loved BWV so much and it’s Epcot location can’t be beat.
Not a bad idea if you love the resort and the contract meets your needs! However, you should be prepared and comfortable to hold the contract to the end or expect it to lose value if you want to sell.

Of course it should already be lower than it is now IMHO. That doesn't mean it won't be a good value for you.

Question about membership benefits. If you book a DVC stay with resale points, but are a direct purchaser and have the “Y”, can you still be eligible for events like “ moonlight Magic”? Or do you have to be staying on direct points to go to those events?
In one of the threads, a member said they couldn’t book Moonlight Magic when staying on resale points. MS told them the stay would have to be with their direct points.

As others have said, DVC changes the requirements. I believe DVC-Y members staying on bookings made with CR were blocked from recent Moonlight Magic registrations. Hopefully someone will correct me if I have any of that wrong.

FWIW, we were staying earlier this month on our resale membership. My direct membership is a different UY. We had no issues getting into TOTW. DH showed his DVC-Y card. He wasn’t asked for his magic band.

Question about membership benefits. If you book a DVC stay with resale points, but are a direct purchaser and have the “Y”, can you still be eligible for events like “ moonlight Magic”? Or do you have to be staying on direct points to go to those events?

As of last year, yes. We booked a stay with resale points and was able to register for Moonlight Magic. We are DVC Y.

However when I called MS to ask in advance I was told it had to be booked with direct points. Either MS was wrong (that’s my guess) or the IT hasn’t caught up.

You would think that Disney would be happy with 150 points for Membership Extras! Pretty much a $30k purchase.
Personally think they should lower it to 100 points.
Or 25 points like it used to be. We bought 25 for full benefits back in the day. Then added on directly 75, 100 and 200 points. Only our original resale 150 point contract is not blue card eligible.

In one of the threads, a member said they couldn’t book Moonlight Magic when staying on resale points. MS told them the stay would have to be with their direct points.

As others have said, DVC changes the requirements. I believe DVC-Y members staying on bookings made with CR were blocked from recent Moonlight Magic registrations. Hopefully someone will correct me if I have any of that wrong.

FWIW, we were staying earlier this month on our resale membership. My direct membership is a different UY. We had no issues getting into TOTW. DH showed his DVC-Y card. He wasn’t asked for his magic band.
I remember that...I beleive the member had multiple contracts and booked the room with a white card use year

I am blue card with only 25 direct points (BR). I had 200 direct BCV points, bought 25 more direct-BR, then sold the original BCV 200. Bought resale 200 at BR. I am surprised they don't cancel us 25 pointers but I guess they can't. (I don't need park tickets, so do not use that AP discount benefit. I use the lounge, that's about it LOL).

We show as DVC-Y. I have had issues with booking DVC after hours sometimes, other times it worked fine. I rarely have a trip on those dates anyway.

A week after we bought those 25, they raised the blue card limit. We had no idea that was coming.

I would guess they would only raise the bar further if they add on new resorts with more inflated point charts. But even then, I would expect the blue card to be grandfathered.

Interesting…I called MS to purchase travel insurance. I have one resale membership with Feb UY and two direct memberships with Apr UY. CM asked me to confirm that it was the “resale membership” I was purchsing insurance for. At the end of the call she asked if I needed help with anything else. I mentioned that it was interesting that she differentiated between my direct and resale memberships. I asked if I wanted to book MM would I need to have a reservation with my direct membership. She confirmed and said that was changed last year.

I am indifferent on this but think it’s a catch 22. If I had all my points (resale and direct) in one use year under one membership then I’d be able to book MM regardless of which points were allocated to my stay.

…I asked if I wanted to book MM would I need to have a reservation with my direct membership. She confirmed and said that was changed last year.

I am indifferent on this but think it’s a catch 22. If I had all my points (resale and direct) in one use year under one membership then I’d be able to book MM regardless of which points were allocated to my stay.
Are you sure about that? Even with the same UY/membership, they know which points (individual contract) are used to book a stay. If they’re serious about direct point stays being the only one to qualify, why wouldn’t they look at the individual contracts the points came from?

Are you sure about that? Even with the same UY/membership, they know which points (individual contract) are used to book a stay. If they’re serious about direct point stays being the only one to qualify, why wouldn’t they look at the individual contracts the points came from?
So if you have one membership with a mix of resale and direct points, then DVC requires you to book with the direct point contract for MM? That negates my rationale for wanting to add OKW direct to my resale membership.

I learn so much from all of you!

So if you have one membership with a mix of resale and direct points, then DVC requires you to book with the direct point contract for MM? That negates my rationale for wanting to add OKW direct to my resale membership.

I think there were people who have indeed been able to book events this year using a resale membership as long as they were eligible.

I am not sure the answer is correct but they did change that only cash rooms booked via MS count.

Just to be clear, I don’t know for sure either way— but they have the capacity to trace points on a contract by contract basis and I think IF they aren’t allowing resale points, ultimately they might demand an actual direct/grandfathered contract for direct perk access.

I'd be shocked if they increased the minimum. They're having all kinds of trouble selling their current inventory, and they're about to add in the new Poly tower to the mix... Going to be interesting to see what they do to move all of these points.

I would never even consider buying direct at today's prices and minimum buy-in. If they lowered it to 100 (I currently have no direct points) and ran a really good promotion? I might bite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter