1st RCCL cruise following 8 on DCL - thoughts and comments

It's been years since I've been on the boards. We are hardened DCL fans and been on 16 cruises, our last on the Wonder through the Panama Canal 9/2014. We had a horrible cruise on the explorer of the seas in 2008 and almost didn't go again but decided to give it another try, so glad we did. The food was 100% better in 2009. We will be Diamond Plus after our Canada cruise in 7/5/2018 on Grandeur of the Seas. Would love to sail with DCL again but have given up flying, just too much of a hassle. Maybe on one of the New York cruises. Been on Anthem of the Seas three times, a beautiful ship, the grandkids love it, so much to do, Another family cruise this August 9th.

1. CK is great if you do not want to fight the crowds for breakfast and lunch. Others have said it is slow but I have not had that problem. It does take about 30-45 min for breakfast. I am on a cruise and not in a rush. After dinner, wife and I always walk down one deck to the windjammer and look at their desserts. There is usually something different every night.

2. In 30+ cruises with royal we have eaten at chops 3 times. The steak is usually very good. Just have not found the need to pay extra for a specialty dinner. We have found CK and main dining room to be fine. But do not miss the tenderloin the first night in CK on oasis. It is as good as the chops tenderloin.

3. The suite sundeck is across the way of where CK and the suite lounge is located toward the front of the ship. You get drinks (water, soda, wine and beer) from 1130am to 11pm(on oasis, allure it was 11am to 11pm) from the suite lounge bar. Have only bought the drink package my first two cruises on royal. I do not drink enough to make it worthwhile for me. For other people a drink package makes sense, especially if you hang out at the suite sundeck you do not want to walk back to the SL to get a water or beer.

4. The suite lounge is great to read a book and just relax. They put out continental breakfast in the morning, a light lunch such as sandwiches for lunch and have appetizers out for happy hour. During happy hour (430-8pm on oasis) you can order simple cocktails from a list. No frozen blended drinks though.

5. I do not order room service much but the royal burger and chicken wings are good. Also you are able to order from the MDR menu when dining room is open. I have only done it for dinner but I believe that you can also order breakfast and lunch from MDR menu.

Make sure to make a reservation for the comedy show online before hand. The rest of the shows there is a suite seating area. Make sure to show up at least 20min before the show starts as they open up the seats 10 or 15 minutes before show starts.

If you have any questions that need a trip to guest services, skip the line and ask the suite concierge. Also sign up for the crown and anchor loyalty program.

If you have any other questions post here or PM me. Have sailed oasis class 8 times and will be back on allure in oct in my favorite crown loft.

Another helpful summary. Having dinner in a Crown Loft should be quiet and intimate but still not the level of eating-in on the Dream. CK was very nice that one time allowed during a Jr. Suite cruise so we will most likely eat there and then look at Windjammer for seconds and other desserts, maybe??? :rolleyes1

My big "want" is espresso, so having the lounge machine will keep my happy.

Frank808 - thanks so much for your insights! So helpful! We are so excited for our sailing in November! What a nice thought to check out dessert in Windjammer after dinner in CK. We will definitely do that! Have you been to the prohibition party? I keep hearing about and wonder if that is worth paying for. Do you know if the muster station for suite passengers is indoors? And one final question - any comment on Labadee v Castaway Cay?

We are sailing on the Symphony in January. Did you happen to stop at St. Thomas? Were you tendered or docked?

We are sailing on the Symphony in January. Did you happen to stop at St. Thomas? Were you tendered or docked?

I don't think the big ships like Symphony can tender, or at least I've never heard of them doing so (not sure if they can't or simply too big to do so/too many people to regularly do so). They don't send that class of ships to ports that require tendering (like Grand Cayman, Belize, Coco Cay until they build the dock). If you have the date you can see how many ships will be in port that day, if there are 5 or less, there are enough dock spaces. If there are more it would most likely be a smaller ship that has to tender.

When I went to st Thomas on Allure we docked at Crown Bay, not Havensight which is the primary cruise port. I would imagine that Symphony would as well.

It's been years since I've been on the boards. We are hardened DCL fans and been on 16 cruises, our last on the Wonder through the Panama Canal 9/2014. We had a horrible cruise on the explorer of the seas in 2008 and almost didn't go again but decided to give it another try, so glad we did. The food was 100% better in 2009. We will be Diamond Plus after our Canada cruise in 7/5/2018 on Grandeur of the Seas. Would love to sail with DCL again but have given up flying, just too much of a hassle. Maybe on one of the New York cruises. Been on Anthem of the Seas three times, a beautiful ship, the grandkids love it, so much to do, Another family cruise this August 9th.

Maybe one day will meet you in the concierge or diamond lounge. We usually sail out of port canaveral and fort lauderdale. We have cruised out of baltimore a few times on grandeur and love the crew on her. Congrats on making d+ in a couple months. The cruise after grandeur you will get to use the concierge lounge (if rccl has not gotten rid of it for the suite lounge). Remember when we made d+ last year. The extra day of internet and free wash bag each is one of the better perks besides being able to use CL. Also do not forget to make your choice for bottle of wine after your c&a points update to d+.

Frank808 - thanks so much for your insights! So helpful! We are so excited for our sailing in November! What a nice thought to check out dessert in Windjammer after dinner in CK. We will definitely do that! Have you been to the prohibition party? I keep hearing about and wonder if that is worth paying for. Do you know if the muster station for suite passengers is indoors? And one final question - any comment on Labadee v Castaway Cay?

No problem and glad I could help you. I have not attended the prohibition party and have not really met anyone in all my cruises that has said it is a must do. On oasis class ships, all muster stations are indoor so you do not have to worry about standing outside in the hot sun.

I have not been on a DCL cruise so cannot comment on Castaway Cay. On labadee there is a suite beach. Walk to the end of the pier and there is a golf cart for suite guests that will take you to the suites beach or to the zipline or wherever you need to go. I bring some cash to labadee to tip the drivers and the guys at the suite beach that get me chairs under the shade and bring some floating beach mats to use. Also there is a staw market before adrenaline beach that has multiple vendors selling local made products under one roofed building. There is also another area by columbus cove that has local vendors but they are a lot more aggressive like in Nassau. That vendor area is on the side of the hill and unnless you like that "come here and see my stuff" aggressive selling, I would stay away.

The lunch buffet at the suite beach is not bad and definitely an upgrade over the standard barbque. Also if you have a drink package, it is valid on Labadee. Are you planning to do the dragons breath zipline? My son and I always buy the all day pass for the dragon roller coaster. Have fun on your cruise and ask away if you need more info.

Do you know if the muster station for suite passengers is indoors? And one final question - any comment on Labadee v Castaway Cay?

Our muster station was indoors and OMG packed and hot. standing the whole time!

I loved the suite beach area. I feel that Castaway Cay should do something similar. The food/barbecue was very similar on both. Labadee had a stack of floats at the suite beach which was nice, although just like Castaway Cay, anyone can rent them. I felt there was many more broken shells entering into the water at Labadee which i personally hate and the water is much deeper; i couldn't reach the bottom once i was about 10 feet out. Both beaches have a very long walk to the shuttle, although i felt the walk at Labadee longer. There is a shuttle just for suite guests at Labadee which was nice. There were more activities at Labadee. My kids did the Aqua Park and loved it. I'm not sure i really have a preference to one area over another; oddly enough my kids hate the beach and DH hates the sun, so not a good combo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter