1st time going to Universal and I am so confused

Kleese

Mouseketeer
We have never been to Universal before and we thought we may try doing a day next time we go to Disney. I went to Universal’s website and it doesn’t seem as put together as Disney’s. I was trying to figure out which park to go to and I couldn’t pull up a map. Help please!!! I have a 4 yr old and I have to use a scooter to get around. What park should we go to? I do love the Harry Potter movies. Where is a good place to eat? Just don’t know where to start with Universal it seems so much more complicated then Disney. Thanks ♥️

Not sure it would be worth it with a 4 year old right now due to lots of things for those ages closed. But Islands of Adventure=Hogsmeade and Hogwarts
Universal=Diagon Alley and Kings Cross. You would need a “park to park” pass to ride the Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure.

The website isn’t easy to navigate. You can filter results by location. I dunno if there is a map, but the app has one. Most people who like HP prefer to eat in the Wizarding world. I would do Universal Studios if you are only doing one park. Diagon Alley is much more impressive and there’s a lot more to see. Some of the shops are closed though. There’s more kid friendly things at Studios too, even with some of it being closed.

Universal does not seem as 4 yr old friendly as Disney however if I had to choose a park I would go with Islands of Adventure. More kid friendly and they have Seuss world. We did the cost analysis and we bought season passes. It was $100 more to get 15 month season passes (includes both parks) than 2 days of 2 park passes. Then we saved $100 a night with the AP room rate and there was a 10% to 15% food discount just about everywhere we ate. I would get park to park (2 park passes) if you like Harry Potter. One of the best rides is the train between the 2 parks and it is different each way. Hogs Meade is in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley is in Universal Studios Florida.

For a 4 year old, I would definitely go to IOA because of the Seussel area (sp). That area looks like it's more for kids because of all the cartoon characters and bright posters and colors. I would do what the poster Dawn Peterson said about annual passes. We are going to do that next trip and it will save a ton of money.

I consider Uni Orl similar to the DL Resort because it is compact to enjoy CityWalk and Universal and IOA.
A 4 year old would probably love To enter the Voodoo Donuts to see a revolving circle of all the donut selections. And they do have donut holes for tiny hands. We like to get the donuts and sit outside the Starbucks . As you enter UStudios side the first attraction is Minions and it is a theatre with seated sections that will move with the cartoon action on screen. If your child is not tall enough , ask if you can both pass through to the exit area because there is a large screen with the minions dancing to fun music. It would almost feel like an attraction . Also , as you enter, a new TODAY show restaurant has opened and allows seating and the food is excellent . Real fast and has a fresh side of fruit (strawberries& apple&grapes) and it is fresh! Sandwiches are served on croissants or a chewier chibbatta roll.
Really good quality. Worth the wait! This is a good place to sit and watch the character cavalcades . They parade throughout parks all day long You will hear the music and know they are near!
Next attraction is Shrek .Might not be a good choice since it is rough . On the other side is Woody Woodpecker small Coaster. ET and Simpson’s is also rough and prob not good for you. But it is fun to walk through the areas and see the Simpsons Cahracters or Scooby Doo or Minions Despicable characters. Walking thru Diagon Alley is full of windows and so many children are casting their spells with the magic wands , you will be able to enjoy without purchasing a wand. This is also where you will see the fire breathing dragon Perched atop the Tower and anybody can enter the banking area to see the automatronic characters inside. This is where the Hogsworth Express Station is. I am pretty sure you will think this is fun... how often will your child see a steam engine pull into the station and hear the whistle and see the smoke billowing out? Plus this is the time to do it because they will not seat any strangers in your private cabin. Your child can sit close to window to peek out. I think this is leaving London and taking the journey to Hogwarts School. The other side is reverse but I can not remember what the scene is... Sorry I know nothing about Hogwarts.
IOA does have more with the SeussicalLand and different characters appearing throughout the day. Also Super Marvel Heroes arrive on motorcycle is fun to experience!

Last edited:
When are you visiting? The holiday lights are beautiful in the evening and I admit I love The Grinch
You can also take the Resort Water Taxi unless they have changed their policy and need to have Resort stay to board. It is a very relaxing boattrip from City Walk Center both ways to different resorts.

And I agree, their website is very difficult and I just give up usually.

Last edited:
Agree
For a 4 year old, I would definitely go to IOA because of the Seussel area (sp). That area looks like it's more for kids because of all the cartoon characters and bright posters and colors. I would do what the poster Dawn Peterson said about annual passes. We are going to do that next trip and it will save a ton of money.
Agree with Seussland being great for your 4 year old - very fun & has rides she can go on.

Shoot, hubby & I are middle- aged & we love Seussland, LOL! We ate at Green Eggs & Ham for the first time on our vacation a few weeks ago in August & thought it was very tasty 👍.

I consider Uni Orl similar to the DL Resort because it is compact to enjoy CityWalk and Universal and IOA.
A 4 year old would probably love To enter the Voodoo Donuts to see a revolving circle of all the donut selections. And they do have donut holes for tiny hands. We like to get the donuts and sit outside the Starbucks . As you enter UStudios side the first attraction is Minions and it is a theatre with seated sections that will move with the cartoon action on screen. If your child is not tall enough , ask if you can both pass through to the exit area because there is a large screen with the minions dancing to fun music. It would almost feel like an attraction . Also , as you enter, a new TODAY show restaurant has opened and allows seating and the food is excellent . Real fast and has a fresh side of fruit (strawberries& apple&grapes) and it is fresh! Sandwiches are served on croissants or a chewier chibbatta roll.
Really good quality. Worth the wait! This is a good place to sit and watch the character cavalcades . They parade throughout parks all day long You will hear the music and know they are near!
Next attraction is Shrek .Might not be a good choice since it is rough . On the other side is Woody Woodpecker small Coaster. ET and Simpson’s is also rough and prob not good for you. But it is fun to walk through the areas and see the Simpsons Cahracters or Scooby Doo or Minions Despicable characters. Walking thru Diagon Alley is full of windows and so many children are casting their spells with the magic wands , you will be able to enjoy without purchasing a wand. This is also where you will see the fire breathing dragon Perched atop the Tower and anybody can enter the banking area to see the automatronic characters inside. This is where the Hogsworth Express Station is. I am pretty sure you will think this is fun... how often will your child see a steam engine pull into the station and hear the whistle and see the smoke billowing out? Plus this is the time to do it because they will not seat any strangers in your private cabin. Your child can sit close to window to peek out. I think this is leaving London and taking the journey to Hogwarts School. The other side is reverse but I can not remember what the scene is... Sorry I know nothing about Hogwarts.
IOA does have more with the SeussicalLand and different characters appearing throughout the day. Also Super Marvel Heroes arrive on motorcycle is fun to experience!
Ver helpful. Only quibble I have is with the idea of ET being rough. I don’t remember the height restriction for it so it could be a moot point but I definitely wouldn’t discourage ET if eligible. 😊

So my son is 4 and we have been going since he was 18 months old. We’re going back next week and this is the first time I think he has been actually excited about it. I caught him watching an ET ride video on YouTube the other day and he was saying he wanted to ride it. Worth noting that ET has a height requirement of only 32” so he has been on it at least twice previously and both times said he doesn’t like it :confused3

I don’t know how tall your child is but I feel like this is the first time going that my son will be tall enough to do more rides. At 40” he will be allowed to now do transformers and Spider-Man if he wants, as he is big into super hero’s now. I’m going to try to encourage him to try them, but not force it either. He was tall enough to do flight of the hippogriff last time, but won’t do it. Maybe this time.

I will say two rides we will NOT have him do are simpsons (40”) and kong (36”). Simpsons made me nauseated and Kong I think is actually too scary for him/that age. I suggest you want some videos of the rides ahead of time either with or without your child to see what might be good.

My son has always had an enjoyable time when he’s there. I know this trip will be different as some of his favorites (play areas) are closed, but here are the things we really enjoy doing with him
  1. dr suess train- it’s his favorite ride! There are two tracks and have different themes / routes so you can ride it more than once
  2. Hogwarts train - need a park to park ticket. Make sure you ride both ways as it’s different
  3. Walking through the castle in hogsmeade (Islands of adventure) - he’s too small to ride, but enjoys the “tour” while we do child swap to ride. Make sure to watch both spell cycles in the defense against the dark arts room; it will snow during one of them
  4. Casting spells around hogsmeade and diagon alley. Mom and dad have interactive wands that we let him borrow, though he might get his own this time. Some of the spells (ie the frog fountain) are simple enough that he can do and he loves seeing the magic happen
  5. Ollivanders wand show - watch the wand choose the wizard. Currently you have to sign up for a time slot to come back
  6. Animal actors show - really cute especially if your kid likes animals!
  7. Cat in the hat - slow car ride through the cat in the hat story
  8. Caro-Seuss-osel - merry go round themed to suess. Each animal you ride can do something silly like move it’s tail or eyes when you pull the “reins”
  9. One fish two fish - “dumbo” style ride where the fish spit water at you.
  10. Jimmy fallons race through New York (40”). He admittedly hasn’t tried this yet, but I think will like it
  11. Shrek - supposedly there is stationary seating but I have never seen/asked for it even when he was 18 months old. 3D theater so seats shake a bit
  12. Minion mayhem - he’s only done this in stationary seating, but tall enough this time to do the actual ride. I think it can be just a little rough, so wouldn’t hurt to just do the stationary first to see if your kid likes the story and then come back for the moving one. There is a seperate line to the side for stationary seating that is much shorter
  13. ET: I know, I said he doesn’t like it. But he spends the whole ride looking around and does think the baby ETs are cute at the end! I think the queue being in darkness and the first part of the ride where the scientists are trying to capture ET scares him a little. This is another one where it might be worth watching videos ahead of time and making the decision
Two final things.
I know majority of the play areas are closed, but it does list the Popeye ship play area as open. I’ll try to look into that when we are there next week.

if there are rides you want to do as adults that your child is too small or scared of, universals child swap is amazing. You all go through the line togetehr then when it’s time to ride they put you and the child in a nice room while your party rides, then switch off and let you ride immediately when your party gets back. The rooms usually have a movie playing (based on the ride), lots of seats, and often a changing table even for the really little ones

Since our kids are about the same age and we are headed down late next week let me know any specific questions you have!

Not sure it would be worth it with a 4 year old right now due to lots of things for those ages closed. But Islands of Adventure=Hogsmeade and Hogwarts
Universal=Diagon Alley and Kings Cross. You would need a “park to park” pass to ride the Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure.
Thank you so much for this info. I really appreciate it ♥️

I can't even open the Universal website on my phone- just comes up as a blank screen. My suggestions would be their app (you'll want that anyway to track wait times) and the Orlando Informer website https://orlandoinformer.com/
Wow I just looked at the front page of your link and I can’t wait to dive into it and read everything. Thank you so much!!

4 yo is way too young for the majority of the park. Universal is where you go when your kids outgrow Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter