1st Time to go to Sea World

Krisshay13

DIS Veteran
We are going to Universal the days before Thanksgiving. We have 5 days set but, now I'm thinking about 1 day at Sea World. Would 1 day be enough time???? 2 adults & a 14 yr old.

We would go on Tues 22nd. More interested in the rides, possibly an animal show & Christmas stuff. Not that interested in parades or the Sesame Street area (except to pass through to see it).

Is it necessary to be there at rope drop like Universal & Disney???
And is it necessary to purchase their version of Express Pass?
Any good tips I need to know?

TIA....just starting to look into this.
Krisshay

I would say starting early or staying late will be the best way to get on the best rides and also catch the Christmas flavour at SeaWorld. I love SeaWorld so I will always argue that it can't be done in a day but you aren't interested in shows or Sesame Street so that frees up a lot more time. Unless of course you're like me and end up spending 30+ minutes in the SS shop after spending 30 minutes reminiscing in the SS street recreation when you said you'd only walk through.

I've never gotten their version of expresspass but I have had to wait in some atrocious lines for the better rides at peak times so I can see the appeal if you have the $$.

I think you could have a great time with just one day at SeaWorld. I personally like to do rope drop and hit the big rides early. It allows for a more leisurely afternoon of enjoying shows, seeing animals, hitting a few extra rides and generally just enjoying the park. They really do Christmas very well. Use the app to learn the park layout as well as show schedules for your day. QuickQueue would make your day easier, but you can wait until you’re actually in the park if you’re not sure. I’ve been many times without it and have done fine.

Last edited:
Rope drop will help you be able to see and do everything. I highly recommend the Sea Lion show and you have to watch the Orca show. Make sure you get to the Sea Lion show early so you can see the mime.

Been watching some Youtube videos of the Christmas stuff. I can't wait now!!!

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Past years @ Disney rope drop was normally "speed walking" to 7D Mine Train, Frozen, Toy Story or Flight of Passage...LOL And Universal is Hagrid's. I'm very used to doing this. Is it like this at Sea World? Is there a ride everyone takes off to???

Unless of course you're like me and end up spending 30+ minutes in the SS shop after spending 30 minutes reminiscing in the SS street recreation when you said you'd only walk through.
LOL...and yes, I will probably do that, too. It's hard to just walk through

Most people go to Manta first since it is at the front of the park and the first coaster people see. I would save it for later in the day when the lines should be shorter. Some rides don't open when the park opens and will open around an hour later. Those are the rides in the back of the park like Mako and Infinity Falls.

Just a heads up in the past the holiday shows were only on certain days in the evening mostly weekend and unfortunately they usually put the info out much closer to the time.

In my experience the back of the park (Mako, Kraken) opens later than the front (Manta).

There is usually a sale by SeaWorld after Thanksgiving. I’m not sure about tickets (I have an AP.) but there have been good deals on QuickQueue and dining. I’m not a fan of the QS at SeaWorld but the booths at the Christmas Celebration festival are much better. The shows do fill up and people line up early. I like having the Reserved Seating for those.

Manta usually opens first so I'd start there unless the line is too long. If the line is long head to the penguin area to do that walk through as the wait for that gets long as it's a small area. Another fun thing to do is the dolphin nursery. Those dolphins are usually very playful and fun to watch.

OP, have you also been watching youtube videos of the rides? The rides at Sea World are... huge, for lack of a better word. Just wondering because of the rides you mentioned - you said you rope dropped Toy Story (but not Rock 'n Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror). Frozen (but not Test Track). Does your group like big, scary-looking rides?

Recent path based on ride opening times and park crowd levels. Manta-Kraken-Journey to Atlantis-Mako-Ice Breaker- Dolphin show or Sea Lion show- Orca show- Dinner at Sharks.
We had early closing due to Howl-o-scream so we weren't able to fit every show and ride in unless we skipped dinner.
Rope drop isn't as critical but

OP, have you also been watching youtube videos of the rides? The rides at Sea World are... huge, for lack of a better word. Just wondering because of the rides you mentioned - you said you rope dropped Toy Story (but not Rock 'n Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror). Frozen (but not Test Track). Does your group like big, scary-looking rides?
LOL..sorry, those are just a few of the ones I remember rope dropping for. But, that was with our grandkids.
Yes, I love big coasters. But, watching some youtube videos, I am realizing the 2 that will be with me, will not ride those.
I'm thinking I will buy the QQ for rides & not them. That way they can go do other things while I do a quick ride.

Unless it's peak season and weekend I really don't see the the need for QQ and it's cheap for us with Platinum APs. Only way there's a long line in the morning is if Manta breaks down on opening.
We walked onto most of the coasters by getting there early the last few times. Same for BG.

Unless it's peak season and weekend I really don't see the the need for QQ and it's cheap for us with Platinum APs. Only way there's a long line in the morning is if Manta breaks down on opening.
We walked onto most of the coasters by getting there early the last few times. Same for BG.
This will be Thanksgiving week. But, I'm sure we will be there at opening.
thanks

I just went to Sea World after years of not going. Yes go early or stay late. I thought we would run out of things to do but we ran out of time. I enjoyed the Sesame Street Area a great deal. Was totally happy to be at Mr. Hopper store and banging on Oscar's trash can. I want to go back.

Like others said, I would rope drop if possible. Might as well get the most out of your ticket, right? The last time I went was Christmas week and it was also busy. My advice is to try to knock out the big rides first or wait until the evening, and in the middle of the day do the shows and animal exhibits. For the most part you don't need to wait in line for those so you can hopefully avoid the hour long rides at other attractions. Just make sure to arrive to the shows early to get a good seat. If you can, I would even suggest 30 minutes early, maybe even earlier for Shamu. The amphitheaters allow food so grab a snack ahead of time and wait it out while sitting in the shade. And like others said, most people walk into a theme park and do the first things they see, especially at SeaWorld where there are less planners. Start at the back of the park (or maybe the far right side where Shamu Stadium and Wild Arctic are, although those sometimes open later) and work your way forward. Although my "hot tip" is to not avoid the Manta aquarium - most people don't even see the entrance (it's around the corner from the Manta coaster entrance) and don't make it in there, but it really is a lovely space.

What's nice about SeaWorld is that it's generally a more chill park compared to Disney. People generally aren't planning their schedule or dining minute to minute so you have a lot more flexibility. Just keep an eye on the times guide for the shows you want to see so you don't miss anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter