2 bedroom island vs pool view?

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We originally wanted an ocean view 2 bedroom but with the current borrowing restrictions we would need to go with an island view or pool view. There is an option of getting a 1 bedroom for several nights and then switch to a 2 but hubby doesn't like to move. So is there a big difference between island and pool view? Which would you choose?

Do you like low or high floors? (Pool view rooms are on the first 5 floors above that is Ocean)
Ok with noise or a light sleeper? (Pool views are low and face the pool so you could have extra noise)

I'm not a huge view guy ... There are lots of "island view" rooms that have WDW Ocean views (ie you can see the ocean even if its off to the side much like WDW "water view" rooms that count if you can see a puddle). We had an island view room last time that had a great ocean view... I'd take that over a pool view any day.

Do you like low or high floors? (Pool view rooms are on the first 5 floors above that is Ocean)
Ok with noise or a light sleeper? (Pool views are low and face the pool so you could have extra noise)

I'm not a huge view guy ... There are lots of "island view" rooms that have WDW Ocean views (ie you can see the ocean even if its off to the side much like WDW "water view" rooms that count if you can see a puddle). We had an island view room last time that had a great ocean view... I'd take that over a pool view any day.
Thank you! We usually do like a higher floor. Our luck we usually end up with a parking lot view though, lol

I hate pool view at Aulani strictly from a value perspective, and it doesn't matter if I'm staying on Cash or Points.

It's probably "better" than Island view, but not better enough to be worth the points premium.

@3kidz4dis how far away are you from the points for Ocean? Could you book X number of nights in Ocean on points and then pay for one or two with cash? You'd end up with two different reservation numbers but most likely wouldn't have to change rooms.

We have done pool view (once) and island view many times.
For pool view, it was nice to being on a lower floor so we didn't need to use elevators, but it was much louder since you can hear all the pool commotion all day.
For island view, there are many views you can request in the Ewa building that will give you partial ocean view and/or a view of the Aulani luau on the Halewai lawn which are lovely.
We found pool view to be a waste of points for us, but I know some people with small children love it because they can request a ground floor room which makes things much easier for them.

I hate pool view at Aulani strictly from a value perspective, and it doesn't matter if I'm staying on Cash or Points.

It's probably "better" than Island view, but not better enough to be worth the points premium.

@3kidz4dis how far away are you from the points for Ocean? Could you book X number of nights in Ocean on points and then pay for one or two with cash? You'd end up with two different reservation numbers but most likely wouldn't have to change rooms.
We are 70 points away from Ocean View. So appox $1,330.00 if I pay $19.00 a point. My concern with the 2 reservations is I may have trouble obtaining for the June reservation at the 7 month mark? It does look like availability is better with the ocean view. Island and Pool view appear to have waitlist days. Also, will I have to pay parking for the rented reservation?

We have done pool view (once) and island view many times.
For pool view, it was nice to being on a lower floor so we didn't need to use elevators, but it was much louder since you can hear all the pool commotion all day.
For island view, there are many views you can request in the Ewa building that will give you partial ocean view and/or a view of the Aulani luau on the Halewai lawn which are lovely.
We found pool view to be a waste of points for us, but I know some people with small children love it because they can request a ground floor room which makes things much easier for them.
Thank you for the input! We plan on using Aulani as a home base and probably will be doing excursions most days.

We are 70 points away from Ocean View. So appox $1,330.00 if I pay $19.00 a point. My concern with the 2 reservations is I may have trouble obtaining for the June reservation at the 7 month mark? It does look like availability is better with the ocean view. Island and Pool view appear to have waitlist days. Also, will I have to pay parking for the rented reservation?
If you rent, you can rent from an Aulani owner at 11 months. No need to wait for 7.

But I meant cash cash cash. Like, call Disney and book a cash reservation.

You would not have to pay for parking if you rented points, but you would if you paid cash.

If you rent, you can rent from an Aulani owner at 11 months. No need to wait for 7.

But I meant cash cash cash. Like, call Disney and book a cash reservation.

You would not have to pay for parking if you rented points, but you would if you paid cash.
I misquoted the amount of points I need. It is 43...that being said I did call Disney and here are the rates. 2 bedroom $1895-2,355.00 and 1 bedroom $1355-1550.00 per night

I am one of those people, and my kids are not that small. We like having a patio and not having to deal with the elevators. We're never in the room during the day and I'm up really early so use the patio when its quiet out.

That said, I'm about to stay in an Ocean View this week, and it would have been an Island View if the availability had shifted in the other direction. I don't think the view is as important as it seems based on the points. I would not spend that $ amount out of pocket just for view.

Our family has stayed in various room sizes and views throughout the years. We prefer the pool or ocean view because we like to watch the activity in the pool area and listen to the Hawaiian music from our balcony.

However, if you're considering the island view, you could call the Aulani front desk and request the following:

1) I would request Ewa Tower
2) Highest floor above 9
3) Room ending in 71-79

You can't request a specific room but these are 1 BR Island view rooms with a bonus ocean view. There may be other rooms in this scenario but you get the idea that if you ask for the above requests, you may get a great view at the island view rate.

Our family has stayed in various room sizes and views throughout the years. We prefer the pool or ocean view because we like to watch the activity in the pool area and listen to the Hawaiian music from our balcony.

However, if you're considering the island view, you could call the Aulani front desk and request the following:

1) I would request Ewa Tower
2) Highest floor above 9
3) Room ending in 71-79

You can't request a specific room but these are 1 BR Island view rooms with a bonus ocean view. There may be other rooms in this scenario but you get the idea that if you ask for the above requests, you may get a great view at the island view rate.

excellent! Thank you for this information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter