2 DDP kids credit questions

JakeAZ

DIS Veteran
1. If we order them a meal that includes an entrée (like mac and cheese, a side and a drink like milk or water) are they still able to then get a specialty drink (if available)? Basically, would the meal be considered the entrée only, even though a drink is included? I've looked in the app for mobile ordering and you can't swap out a water for a specialty drink like lemonade slushy (currently looking at ABC commissary). It would have to be ordered as an add on.

2. It appears kids have to order off the kid's menu now. What if the restaurant doesn't have a kid's menu? Ronto Roasters comes to mind. Are they able to order off the adult menu? Or are they SOL?

Thanks!

The problem w specialty drinks is they have to be on the child menu. If milkshakes are only an adult offering, then your child can’t have a specialty drink.

i don’t know about what is happening w the lack of a child menu. Casey’s has a child menu now in response to this. Haven’t heard any updates about the others w/o a child menu

Thanks. So when they say "guests under 21 can choose one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty drink, where offered), they really mean "where offered on the child's menu, which isn't common".

That's pretty lame.

Yup
keep in mind once 10, the standard menu applies

and ask. Always ask. There may be a special lemonade type thing. but the best options are not available to 3-9 on the dining plan.
keep in mind what you pay for a child on ddp is $30. A milkshake is $9 at wcc. Plus skillet for $16. This is why (imho). $25 for one ts meal w ‘specialty’ drink is not realistic on disneys part. But so misleading

Last edited:

My kids are nowhere near 10.

To me it just seems like they are offering a benefit you can't actually use. If guests have to ask and keep their fingers crossed at each restaurant, is that even worth it? I just can't wait for "but dad, they let us get a slushie at XYZ, why won't they here?"

I am absolutely fine having my kids order off the kids menu, but there needs to be a kids menu at every restaurant then. Also, if they offer kids specialty beverages as a benefit, they need to be on every kids menu. I'll play by the rules, but don't make the rules moving targets.

Bought the dining plan back in 2019 when none of this was an issue. Planned our meals based on having the dining plan.
I dont think it’s unreasonable for guests to think if Disney is going to change / enforce a policy, that their infrastructure will be set up to make that happen smoothly.
Not having a kid’s menu at every restaurant is 100% unacceptable if you are going to enforce DDP kids on the kids menu.

The specialty drink thing is more of a nuisance, but it’s still irritating that Disney goes out of their way to publicize it, but makes no effort to allow guests to take advantage of it.

Bought the dining plan back in 2019 when none of this was an issue. Planned our meals based on having the dining plan.
I dont think it’s unreasonable for guests to think if Disney is going to change / enforce a policy, that their infrastructure will be set up to make that happen smoothly.
Not having a kid’s menu at every restaurant is 100% unacceptable if you are going to enforce DDP kids on the kids menu.

The specialty drink thing is more of a nuisance, but it’s still irritating that Disney goes out of their way to publicize it, but makes no effort to allow guests to take advantage of it.
I’ve got the same gripe about the kids dining plan drinks. I have spoken to Disney and they’ve confirmed that my kids 6 and 3 can order ANY speciality drink on the whole menu as long as it’s not alcoholic obviously. This includes for instance milkshakes at ABC Commissary. I’m still waiting to hear of someone who has been able to do this since the changes though. I’d like first hand confirmation as on mobile ordering it doesn’t seem to be an option. When do you go? We’re not until October. If I get there and it’s an issue my kids will be so disappointed.

Disney is now enforcing all the rules that were always documented. But it hurts those that had planned on it remaining the same

lala who did you speak w that confirmed a child could order any specialty drink on the entire menu and what was the date?

Disney is now enforcing all the rules that were always documented. But it hurts those that had planned on it remaining the same

lala who did you speak w that confirmed a child could order any specialty drink on the entire menu and what was the date?

.I spoke to Disney guest services last week

I don't mind them enforcing these rules. I mind when it creates confusion and basically takes QS restaurants out of play for us if they don't have a kid's menu.

Thanks. So when they say "guests under 21 can choose one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty drink, where offered), they really mean "where offered on the child's menu, which isn't common".

That's pretty lame.
My kids are nowhere near 10.

To me it just seems like they are offering a benefit you can't actually use. If guests have to ask and keep their fingers crossed at each restaurant, is that even worth it? I just can't wait for "but dad, they let us get a slushie at XYZ, why won't they here?"

I am absolutely fine having my kids order off the kids menu, but there needs to be a kids menu at every restaurant then. Also, if they offer kids specialty beverages as a benefit, they need to be on every kids menu. I'll play by the rules, but don't make the rules moving targets.

The rules aren't moving targets, and the menus vary from place to place anyway so there are benefits to choosing one dining venue over another based on what you want to get. It's no different than choosing a restaurant from the 15 or so that are in my immediate area - I bring my kids to eat at particular places based on what we want out of our dining experience, and I don't expect every restaurant to have every offering (even restaurants within the same chain vary their offerings). The "under 21" clause in the dining plan specifically addresses guests age 10-20 who are "adults" on the dining plan but cannot purchase alcohol.

I don't mind them enforcing these rules. I mind when it creates confusion and basically takes QS restaurants out of play for us if they don't have a kid's menu.

Few QS restaurants don't have a kids' menu offering. It's literally a handful of them, and there are numerous other options available. I do expect that with the enforcement of the kids credits at QS, they will add official kids menu items to all the QS locations (I believe Casey's kids menu isn't posted but if you ask they have one). In the meantime, this post may help you.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/kids-cs-credits-menus-faq-q-a.2479727/

The "under 21" clause in the dining plan specifically addresses guests age 10-20 who are "adults" on the dining plan but cannot purchase alcohol.

Where does it specifically say the offer refers to guests 10+? I can’t find it, not in the UK literature anyway.

Sorry if my wording wasn't clear. The Dining plan includes a stipulation that guests under 21 can order a non-alcoholic drink (including specialty drinks where offered) in lieu of the alcoholic beverage that's included in the dining plan. It's not RESTRICTED to folks age 10-20 (age 10 being the youngest age of a "disney adult" for ticket and dining plan purposes, 20 being the oldest age before you are legal drinking age). It's just marketing to advise folks who cannot (or chose not to) drink alcohol that they can order the fun non-alcoholic options on the menu and still have it covered by the dining plan as part of a meal.

This is the wording from the Disney website. Simply refers to guest of any type...

Enjoy a refreshing selection of non-alcoholic or alcoholic (for Guests over 21) beverages to accompany your meal including:
  • Artisanal milkshakes and fresh smoothies
  • Mocktails and sodas
  • Beer, cider and most wines
  • Sangria and speciality cocktails

And the small print.. No definition between child or adult credit, just guest.

Where "beverage" is included for table service meals and quick-service meals, the guest may choose any non-alcoholic beverage, or, if beer, wine or mixed drink beverages are offered at the location and the guest is 21 years of age or older with acceptable proof of age, the guest may choose from a selection of the beer, wine or mixed drinks available at the location.

This is the wording from the Disney website. Simply refers to guest of any type...

Enjoy a refreshing selection of non-alcoholic or alcoholic (for Guests over 21) beverages to accompany your meal including:
  • Artisanal milkshakes and fresh smoothies
  • Mocktails and sodas
  • Beer, cider and most wines
  • Sangria and speciality cocktails
I’m with you. But it appears if the beverage isn’t specifically on a kid’s menu, it’s not allowed for 3-9 year olds. The registers won’t allow it to be paid for with a kid’s credit.

But then surely that’s Disney’s problem. For example, if there’s no milkshake specifically advertised on the child’s menu but there is one on the adult menu then the ‘order off child’s menu where available’ applies and they order off the adult menu instead as the DP terms permit them a milkshake but there isn’t one on the kids menu. Please report back how you get on!

But then surely that’s Disney’s problem. For example, if there’s no milkshake specifically advertised on the child’s menu but there is one on the adult menu then the ‘order off child’s menu where available’ applies and they order off the adult menu instead as the DP terms permit them a milkshake but there isn’t one on the kids menu. Please report back how you get on!
Haha, I'll tell you exactly how it's going to go before I even get there. I'm going to try to order a specialty drink off the adults menu and pay with a kid's credit (if there isn't one on the kid's menu). If it works, great, I'll try it again. If it doesn't, that's it. I'm not going to roll the dice every time and have my kids hope it works each time. I don't need that added headache. And I'm certainly not going to pay with an adult credit and then try to find someone to magically fix things.
This is Disney fixing a loophole before the fix was ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter