2 Room Dining Dilemma

wishesUT

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids ages 15, 12, 9, and 7). We are coming for free dining at the end of November for 9 nights. I was never able to get a room at Art of Animation for the 6 of us, so we are in 2 rooms at Caribbean Beach.
Option 1: Right now we have paid to upgrade everyone to the DDP. If I'm doing my math right we are paying $99.98 per day to upgrade everyone to the DDP.
Option 2: Have 1 adult and the 2 children in one room and pay $100.25 to upgrade that room to the DxDDP, and then have the adult and the 2 teens in other on the Quick Service plan.
The first option would give us 54 TS credits and 54 CS credits.
The second option would give us 81 TS credits and 54 CS credits if I'm doing my math correctly.
We're planning on eating at Biergarten, Cape May, Homecoming, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Garden Grill, Boma, Ohana and one more place. If we upgrade 1 room to DxDDP we would probably eat a signature.
My question is, if it were you would you consider the second option or would you just keep everyone on the DDP. The only advantage I see is that at 3 of the places we're eating at we could get an appetizer. We've always just been on the regular plan and it's worked fine. I'm just trying to figure out how messy this all might be. We should always be eating our meals together, with the possible, but rare, exception of counter service.

We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids ages 15, 12, 9, and 7). We are coming for free dining at the end of November for 9 nights. I was never able to get a room at Art of Animation for the 6 of us, so we are in 2 rooms at Caribbean Beach.
Option 1: Right now we have paid to upgrade everyone to the DDP. If I'm doing my math right we are paying $99.98 per day to upgrade everyone to the DDP.
Option 2: Have 1 adult and the 2 children in one room and pay $100.25 to upgrade that room to the DxDDP, and then have the adult and the 2 teens in other on the Quick Service plan.
The first option would give us 54 TS credits and 54 CS credits.
The second option would give us 81 TS credits and 54 CS credits if I'm doing my math correctly.
We're planning on eating at Biergarten, Cape May, Homecoming, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Garden Grill, Boma, Ohana and one more place. If we upgrade 1 room to DxDDP we would probably eat a signature.
My question is, if it were you would you consider the second option or would you just keep everyone on the DDP. The only advantage I see is that at 3 of the places we're eating at we could get an appetizer. We've always just been on the regular plan and it's worked fine. I'm just trying to figure out how messy this all might be. We should always be eating our meals together, with the possible, but rare, exception of counter service.
I think your math is correct and with some extreme and diligent planning, it might work well if you plan to share some meals. The fewer buffets you eat at the further you could stretch the TS credits.

As of today I don't think they make a difference in the TS credits with kids on the Deluxe plan, right? But what would happen if they made a change with that before you got there? But if they were going to change that up they might just wait till the end of the year? You are a good example of where with a lot of planning and sharing of meals, the DxDDP might could be of a great benefit.

i have a similiar question. We are 10 people (7 adults 3 under 5 yrs old) We have a studio and a 2br booked. I was thinking about putting the kids with one adult and getting deluxe dining on the studio and the other 7 adults on the 2br and getting the QSDP. We are staying 5 nights. with this plan we would have 60 TS and 70 quick service and everyone would have 2 snacks per day and one mug and the cost is $3018.95 but i we were to do the regular dining plan we would have a cost of $3029.40 and have 50 TS and 50 QS and 2 snacks per person per day. So the savings are there and we get an more TS and QS meals for less money. My question is can we charge TS meals to the kids bands?

i have a similiar question. We are 10 people (7 adults 3 under 5 yrs old) We have a studio and a 2br booked. I was thinking about putting the kids with one adult and getting deluxe dining on the studio and the other 7 adults on the 2br and getting the QSDP. We are staying 5 nights. with this plan we would have 60 TS and 70 quick service and everyone would have 2 snacks per day and one mug and the cost is $3018.95 but i we were to do the regular dining plan we would have a cost of $3029.40 and have 50 TS and 50 QS and 2 snacks per person per day. So the savings are there and we get an more TS and QS meals for less money. My question is can we charge TS meals to the kids bands?
I remember in the past my kids' bands have been scanned at a TS because they said it didn't matter whose band was scanned, but our last trip was 3 years ago so I don't know if that has changed.
Your situation is really similar! From reading the boards it sounds like the loophole has been around for awhile so it sounds like it should be okay, but if it changed I would think I would be able to change both rooms to the DDP and be okay. If it changed mid-trip then we could be in trouble.

If I were going this year I would chance it. As of now, there is no difference in credits, but that could change anytime of course, but I am betting it would change at the beginning of a new year.

I have been restricting charges to my kids bands now. If they want something they have to use their gift cards. But I have never charged a meal on their bands, only the adults bands.

You can have one of the kids scan their bands to pay for the meal. My girls were able to use their bands to pay for snacks, meals. This is not giving them charging priviledges to charge purchases back to the room. The children will need the PIN number.

We did this in December. My room with 2 adults upgraded our free QS plan to DxDDP and my sons room with 2 Adults, 1 Teen, and one infant had the free QS. We use our DxDDP for all TS meals and their QS for our lunches. It worked out really well for us as we got to have APPS everywhere. I highly suggest trying it. One thing to note is with your big group you are automatically charged gratuity and that is on everything your order so adding the apps and desserts and your entree and any drinks will drive the tips up. I did research before and put $500 on a gift card before leaving and we managed to use all of it just for tips. We did tip extra for exceptional service but averaged over $50 a meal on tips. If you don't plan for it then you could be in sticker shock.

We did this in December. My room with 2 adults upgraded our free QS plan to DxDDP and my sons room with 2 Adults, 1 Teen, and one infant had the free QS. We use our DxDDP for all TS meals and their QS for our lunches. It worked out really well for us as we got to have APPS everywhere. I highly suggest trying it. One thing to note is with your big group you are automatically charged gratuity and that is on everything your order so adding the apps and desserts and your entree and any drinks will drive the tips up. I did research before and put $500 on a gift card before leaving and we managed to use all of it just for tips. We did tip extra for exceptional service but averaged over $50 a meal on tips. If you don't plan for it then you could be in sticker shock.

Thank you for your help. We're going to give this a try. I'll watch to make sure the pooling of credits doesn't stop before we leave, but this seems like a great deal. Thanks for the tip about the higher tips too.

I think it is great that Disney is now allowing the "sharing" of meal credits. But as of now, with the DxDDP, they don't make a difference in the kid's credits and the adult's credit, right? I look for that to possibly change in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts