2017 College Dorm shopping on a Budget

DS will be a junior, and is a soccer player. He says the best things he brought with him were his Brita water pitcher (it's a slim one that he keeps in the fridge, so he has water in his room), and a few Brita water bottles that he keeps in his school backpack and soccer backpack. As long as he can find a water fountain or faucet, he can get water, and him being an Environmental Science and Policy major, he likes that he's not using throwaway bottles.

Shoot, hadn't thought of how the water might taste. DD has a Camelbak bottle she fills all the time. She'll be in apartment style living, with a full kitchen. We're moving her over two different weekends, so the first weekend we better taste the water! Then if needed we can get a Brita pitcher. I used to have one of those, before we got a filter under the sink.

So last night DD18 and I spent 2.5 hours looking for textbooks online. Her college bookstore has lists for all of the classes, including ISBNs, so we took that info and shopped around.

She needed 8 books, and I used 6 different vendors to get them including college bookstore, Amazon rental, Amazon purchase, Chegg, Half.com, and Barnes & Noble. It was a time consuming process, but we saved a ton of money and all she has to do is run into the bookstore and pick up the 2 books from them that we ordered. One more big thing checked off the list.

Before you buy textbooks have your kids ask on Facebook or whatever social media site is popular at that school if the textbook is necessary. I attended more than one class where the teachers had "suggested reading" that they never discussed nor tested on in class. More than one textbook I bought ended up being unnecessary. If I had known at the time I would have saved a lot of money.

Before you buy textbooks have your kids ask on Facebook or whatever social media site is popular at that school if the textbook is necessary. I attended more than one class where the teachers had "suggested reading" that they never discussed nor tested on in class. More than one textbook I bought ended up being unnecessary. If I had known at the time I would have saved a lot of money.
I second this! I tried to get books ahead once but it just didn't work very well. For some of DS's classes the book listed for the class on the bookstore website was wrong. DS got to the first class and the teacher told them they needed a different book or only needed 1 of the 3 books listed. Then there are the books with online components. If the teacher uses the online component then you can't really buy the book used as the online access code only comes with new books. Some rentals don't come with the online component either. Some of DS's profs used the online stuff, some didn't; DS didn't know until the first class. He also had one teacher who used a digital book only, so he never had to buy the big expensive hard copy.

I hate the whole book racket! I give my kids a set amount of money for books each semester, and they are responsible for getting the best deals. DS figured out that if he put a little effort into getting his books more cheaply, he could pocket the money he saved. That really motivated him!

DD21 is a senior (yea!!). Freshman year, for her comfort, I helped her get books before move in day. Since then, she waits until syllabus day, sees what the prof requires, and then gets the necessary books- renting whenever possible. Textbooks is the one expense that is cheaper than when DH and I were in college - thank you internet- thank you textbook rental.

I've never helped my college students buy textbooks, but they know they need to go the cheapest route, which always ends up being a combination. They are responsible for asking around, and emailing their professors about online codes and such. They use my amazon account, so I get the reminders when rentals need to be sent back, and I pass along that information to them.

Shoot, hadn't thought of how the water might taste. DD has a Camelbak bottle she fills all the time. She'll be in apartment style living, with a full kitchen. We're moving her over two different weekends, so the first weekend we better taste the water! Then if needed we can get a Brita pitcher. I used to have one of those, before we got a filter under the sink.
With a full kitchen, you can buy a brita filter for the faucet.

I'm a bit torn by all the advise to wait on text books. I don't want to purchase books that won't be used but I would rather have DD be all set when classes begin. I can't imagine her Chemistry, Meteorology and Calculus classes not using the textbooks. I can't buy Chemistry ahead because they don't list edition and require the ebook. Her meteorology text is actually cheaper from bookstore than Amazon. However her Calculus book is listed as an older edition so I could get a MUCH cheaper book on Amazon. It seems like it might be worth risking the $20ish on the used book rather than waiting til class starts. She's also taking a Western Civ and those books too are much cheaper on Amazon.

I was going to pre-order Chemistry & Meteorology to quicken the process but I suppose she could wait on those.

I'm a bit torn by all the advise to wait on text books. I don't want to purchase books that won't be used but I would rather have DD be all set when classes begin. I can't imagine her Chemistry, Meteorology and Calculus classes not using the textbooks. I can't buy Chemistry ahead because they don't list edition and require the ebook. Her meteorology text is actually cheaper from bookstore than Amazon. However her Calculus book is listed as an older edition so I could get a MUCH cheaper book on Amazon. It seems like it might be worth risking the $20ish on the used book rather than waiting til class starts. She's also taking a Western Civ and those books too are much cheaper on Amazon.

I was going to pre-order Chemistry & Meteorology to quicken the process but I suppose she could wait on those.

I posted on the Class of 2017 thread that I feel the same way. For this semester, I'd like her to be all set when class begins. She'll have a lot of the same professors the whole way through, so she'll learn quick how they each handle the book situation. This semester is only $140 so it's not a big deal to just get them all. I got two on Amazon and will have her get the rest at the bookstore. Her cousin "gifted" her one book.

I know its is hard because we want to make the whole transition to college as easy and painless as possible for them BUT my kids (freshman & junior) wait to buy their books until the first week of classes. Here are the reasons why:

- the book listed for the class on the bookstore website is often wrong. DS got to the first class and the teacher told them they needed a different book or only needed 1 of the 3 books listed or only needed the digital book not the hard copy
- online access code only comes with new books. Some rentals don't come with the online component either. Some of DS's profs used and graded the online stuff, some didn't; DS didn't know until the first class
- University Specific books (can't rent them or buy used - only place to get them is the campus bookstore at full price)
- profs go over book requirements and make their buying recommendations during the first class. Most of his profs have tried to make recommendations that save their students a little money
- DS's schedule has never been completely set until after the first week of classes. He is usually hemming and hawing over his elective or trying to get out of an 8:00 AM class and into another section, or trying to get a different teacher during the add/drop period

1st semester DS's freshman year due to time constraints, not knowing the system, and him being a bit overwhelmed by his new environment, we spent the most on books - $550 that semester. I tried ordering a few used online, but in the end after HOURS of researching, I'd only have saved $75, and he would have had to wait 2 weeks into the semester for the books to arrive. $75 wasn't worth stressing him out like that. He ended up getting most of them new at the campus bookstore. After that he got savvy, talked to upperclassmen, figured out the cheapest way to get what he needed, and our costs went down.

We just priced my son's books. The book store price matches, according to the website. We couldn't really find any good deals anywhere else. We have them in his cart but haven't paid yet. We requested used rentals for everything but the writing handbook which a friend's daughter suggested he buy because he would use it for several classes. There was a math online thing to purchase on his list before, but now it's gone. It was very expensive. We are hoping it doesn't come back. One class has no required book.

On another note, the roommate finally texted him. Now I know i am on the hook for a fridge.

At orientation the college themselves told us to wait until they go to the first day of class and the professor tells them what they need before buying the book for the class- most of the time the professor will have them buy a online code instead of the book so we are listening to the college and doing it that way.

The "wait until the 1st day of class" issue is a huge reason why it is helpful to get your college student their own credit card number. Many times DS has had to wait until day 1 to purchase a code in order to get the correct one, but is then faced with homework due that night, which he cannot begin to work on until he has the code in hand. Often the bookstore is NOT open late that night, so there is an impetus to be able to quickly buy online.

All of those documents are safely in our safe at home. There was no reason DS needed those with him and in over two years at college, he has only needed his SS card once and it was returned to our safe afterwards.

DS goes to school out of state, and he had to have all of his legal documents with him. For one thing, he can't fly without a valid license, and he couldn't renew the license without his passport and official birth certificate. To get a job he needed to show both as well, as employers these days are required to verify US citizenship and social security status. His landlord also required scans of the originals to go with his lease application.

On the other hand, there is no reason why WE would need to have access to them any longer; he is no longer a minor and so he has to show and sign his own paperwork for legal things, including filing his taxes. As a convenience backup for him, we have hi-res scans of the documents on a thumb drive that is stored in the safe, but he keeps the originals with him.

BTW, for the OP, JCPenney is the best option for towels. They do some very good coupons, but more importantly, they sell a very good line of quick-drying towels that are less likely to end up getting moldy if they are not promptly hung up after use. DS has lived in a quad suite for 2 years now; he is always carping about the mold caused by roommates who didn't hang their towels up. (He's in a hot climate, and their bathrooms got very moldy very easily when towels were not properly hung to dry. I warned him about it years ago; hanging up your wet towels is an ironclad rule at our house.)

DS goes to school out of state, and he had to have all of his legal documents with him. For one thing, he can't fly without a valid license, and he couldn't renew the license without his passport and official birth certificate. To get a job he needed to show both as well, as employers these days are required to verify US citizenship and social security status. His landlord also required scans of the originals to go with his lease application.

On the other hand, there is no reason why WE would need to have access to them any longer; he is no longer a minor and so he has to show and sign his own paperwork for legal things, including filing his taxes. As a convenience backup for him, we have hi-res scans of the documents on a thumb drive that is stored in the safe, but he keeps the originals with him.

BTW, for the OP, JCPenney is the best option for towels. They do some very good coupons, but more importantly, they sell a very good line of quick-drying towels that are less likely to end up getting moldy if they are not promptly hung up after use. DS has lived in a quad suite for 2 years now; he is always carping about the mold caused by roommates who didn't hang their towels up. (He's in a hot climate, and their bathrooms got very moldy very easily when towels were not properly hung to dry. I warned him about it years ago; hanging up your wet towels is an ironclad rule at our house.)
But if he's out of state, how can he renew his license? Does he have a license for the state where he attends collage? Dd21 has had 3 jobs, ds19 2, and they never needed to show their ss cards, just needed the number. I didn't know they needed documents to submit with taxes.

I hold onto the ss cards, birth certificates, and passports. I'm afraid they will lose them, since they move every year.

Dd21 has had 3 jobs, ds19 2, and they never needed to show their ss cards, just needed the number.

It's not supposed to matter where you work, but apparently it does in your kids case. It's federal law that you show your proof of eligibility to complete the I-9...typically an SSN card and drivers license, but there are other acceptable docs. It's surprising to me that not all employers follow this law.

It's not supposed to matter where you work, but apparently it does in your kids case. It's federal law that you show your proof of eligibility to complete the I-9...typically an SSN card and drivers license, but there are other acceptable docs. It's surprising to me that not all employers follow this law.

For jobs, you need (1) proof of identity, and (2) proof of work status/eligibility (e.g. citizenship or green card).

A passport is considered proof of identity, proof of age and proof of citizenship (and therefore work status). A birth certificate or Social Security card is considered only proof of citizenship/work status, and DL only proof of identity, so that's why you have to provide both of those if you go that route.

I work in IT and the culture is to change jobs every few years. I learned a long time ago to just provide my passport when I start a new job since it's a one-and-done document. I have never had to produce my SS card, just know my number, which your child should have memorized by the time they are in college.

So if your kid will be getting a job, or need proof of identity beyond their DL, just give them their passport if they have one. And keep the birth certificate and SS card home with you.

My DD even used her passport to apply for her DL - no birth certificate needed. She has a foreign birth certificate that most people have no clue what to do with.

Last edited:
For jobs, you need (1) proof of identity, and (2) proof of work status eligibility (e.g. citizenship or green card).

A passport is considered proof of identity, proof of age and proof of citizenship (and therefore work status). Birth certificates and Social Security cards are considered only proof of citizenship/work status, and DLs only proof of identity, so that's why you have to provide both of those if you go that route.

I work in IT and the culture is to change jobs every few years. I learned a long time ago to just provide my passport when I start a new job since it's a one-and-done document. I have never had to produce my SS card, just know my number, which your child should have memorized by the time they are in college.

So if your kid will be getting a job, or need proof of identity beyond their DL, just give them their passport if they have one. And keep the birth certificate home with you.

My DD even used her passport to apply for her DL - no birth certificate needed. She has a foreign birth certificate that most people have no clue what to do with.

Thank you! I couldn't remember how the categories were broken down. DS doesn't have a passport, so that's why he's always needed the SSN card and DL.

But if he's out of state, how can he renew his license? Does he have a license for the state where he attends collage? Dd21 has had 3 jobs, ds19 2, and they never needed to show their ss cards, just needed the number. I didn't know they needed documents to submit with taxes.

Yes, he has license there. We insisted on it because he is only home for a couple of weeks a year, and we didn't want to pay for insurance for him to be able to drive our cars while he's here. With an out-of-state address, he can drive on our insurance as a guest driver at no extra charge. (He attends school in an urban area, so he doesn't have a car there.)

I hold onto the ss cards, birth certificates, and passports. I'm afraid they will lose them, since they move every year.

DS keeps his in a very distinctive document holder, and he never had trouble keeping track of it while he was moving every semester when he was in the residence halls.

It isn't necessary to submit original documents with tax filings, but my point was that *I* don't need to have access to his documents for the info on them, but he does. Besides that, I figure that keeping track of stuff like this is part of being a grownup, and after all, that's a big part of what going away to college is all about. If he loses them, he will also have the grown-up joy of dealing with getting replacements!

PS: With the "Real ID" laws kicking in, most states are now requiring proofs of residence as well as proof of identity to get a license. DS had to provide 2 current proofs of residence (had to have been issued by a government or a financial institution in order to be valid, but passports were not acceptable for that unless they had been issued in the previous 30 days -- because they are good for 10 years and almost no one bothers changing an address on a passport.) This is further complicated by the tendency of the young to do everything on-line; most DMV's require you to show postmarked snail-mail as proof of address. (Also, just to mention, that the irony of a passport being easier to get than a DL is simply priceless.)

Last edited:
Can I vent a little here? My DD finally got her dorm assignment and roommate yesterday. Her request was met and she was assigned to a girl that she knows. Yay. Also, she was happy to see her room has a bathroom and she doesn't have to use a community bathroom down the hall. About 5:30 last night she got an email stating she was in a dorm room that will be used for those students taking classes over winter break and/or student athletes that need to stay on campus. So her and her roommate will have to pack all their belongings up and move out and then move back in when spring semester starts. Ugh. I'm just looking at all the stuff I bought and am dreading doing this extra moving. They are going to credit us $300 once she moves back in but I'd rather pay an extra $300 just to not have to make the move again (this isn't an option - just wishful thinking). Just want to add that yes I do remember reading that this could be a possibility. Thanks for letting me vent :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter