2018 and 2019 Extended Points Outcomes

Sorry for the double post. I posted this on another thread, but it seems more appropriate to post it here.

It appears DVC does not want to put the policy regarding extended 2018 banked points in writing. I emailed member satisfaction asking about the policy and how it applied to my specific situation, and I assumed I would get a written response. I immediately received an auto response saying I may experience a longer than normal wait time for a response. 14 days later I replied to that auto response and asked when I could expect a response. I then received an email response saying my correspondence had been sent to Member Services. Since my RCI banking deadline was June 17th, I called Member Services before receiving a email reply. (Note: it had been 15 days since I had sent the email) The MS rep I talked with took 15 minutes to go through the history of how my 2018 banked points were used and told me they did qualify and could be used after August 1st for a November reservation. I asked if he could send me something documenting that determination in case I got a different answer in August. He said no.

ETA: At one point my points were used for a late July reservation, and the MS rep pointed that out to me. However, I told him I had cancelled that reservation and used those points to rebook a reservation in for early May which was cancelled by DVC, so the "last use" of those points was for a reservation that qualified for the extension.
Not sure if the last use had been for a July reservation if my points would have qualified for the extension. Also, not sure if would have mattered whether I had cancelled that July reservation (and not rebooked using those points) before the May 27th announcement, as opposed to still having that July reservation still "on the books" on May 27th.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post. I posted this on another thread, but it seems more appropriate to post it here.
and I get it but what I find frustrating is the lack of consistency - I mean, @FinnFogg was told it was OK to cancel their Aug trip, which was a rebook from a cancelled impacted trip, just like my Aug trip) and that the points would go back to their UY in Oct with the extended dates, so they then cancelled.

NOW, what if what I'm being is correct, then @FinnFogg has cancelled a trip and their points WILL NOT be extended and the points associated with that trip will expire as they're supposed to- then what recourse is there? Nothing?

and I get it but what I find frustrating is the lack of consistency - I mean, @FinnFogg was told it was OK to cancel their Aug trip, which was a rebook from a cancelled impacted trip, just like my Aug trip) and that the points would go back to their UY in Oct with the extended dates, so they then cancelled.

NOW, what if what I'm being is correct, then @FinnFogg has cancelled a trip and their points WILL NOT be extended and the points associated with that trip will expire as they're supposed to- then what recourse is there? Nothing?
Yes - This is all crazy. There are clearly mixed instructions floating around the CMs. Mine (Zoe - a guy) seemed knowledgeable, but so did your first one earlier today? I am going to hold tight for a couple of weeks and then call back to re-confirm the information that I was given yesterday. Hopefully they have their story straight by then. I just need to be absolutely certain by my (current) mid- August RCI deposit deadline, as I won’t be able to travel to WDW regardless before the expire.

Yes - This is all crazy. There are clearly mixed instructions floating around the CMs. Mine (Zoe - a guy) seemed knowledgeable, but so did your first one earlier today? I am going to hold tight for a couple of weeks and then call back to re-confirm the information that I was given yesterday. Hopefully they have their story straight by then. I just need to be absolutely certain by my (current) mid- August RCI deposit deadline, as I won’t be able to travel to WDW regardless before the expire.

RIGHT!! I mean, is my banking date for RCI, July 18th or Oct 16th??

and how can I even have 2 different banking dates and use dates for the same year points??

this makes NO SENSE....

I just need to be absolutely certain by my (current) mid- August RCI deposit deadline, as I won’t be able to travel to WDW regardless before the expire.
It is frustrating that there are no published details on the policy, and that different CMs provide different information.

That is why I emailed member satisfaction, so I would have a written answer to my questions about whether my points qualified and if so could they be used to replace the points for an existing Nov reservation. As I mentioned in a previous post, after 15 days I had not received an email reply answering my questions. Since my RCI deadline was June 17th, I needed an answer by that date, so I ended up calling MS. I was told the answer to both of my questions was yes, but I have nothing in writing, so if I call in August and get a different answer, as @Avery&Todd said "then what recourse is there? Nothing?"

It is frustrating that there are no published details on the policy, and that different CMs provide different information.

That is why I emailed member satisfaction, so I would have a written answer to my questions about whether my points qualified and if so could they be used to replace the points for an existing Nov reservation. As I mentioned in a previous post, after 15 days I had not received an email reply answering my questions. Since my RCI deadline was June 17th, I needed an answer by that date, so I ended up calling MS. I was told the answer to both of my questions was yes, but I have nothing in writing, so if I call in August and get a different answer, as @Avery&Todd said "then what recourse is there? Nothing?"
AND I did submit an email to member services this morning too..

and now I'm "Chatting" with Reese...so we'll see!

That would be a horrible outcome. But I have to think that they would be hard pressed to deny they extension if we are able to provide dates and details of Thur advice provided by the CMs. It is clear that MS cancelled my August reservation yesterday and returned my banked points. I asked specific questions about the fact that I ‘rebooked’ and their responses. If they go back on that, I think I would lose it. 😊

That would be a horrible outcome. But I have to think that they would be hard pressed to deny they extension if we are able to provide dates and details of Thur advice provided by the CMs. It is clear that MS cancelled my August reservation yesterday and returned my banked points. I asked specific questions about the fact that I ‘rebooked’ and their responses. If they go back on that, I think I would lose it. 😊
I did ask that question @FinnFogg - I said that if I cancelled Aug, then all 250 pts would be back in my 2019 UY, and she said "yes but they would know that 216 came from a un-impacted trip cancellation and therefore they would only extend the points that were not associated with that trip"..

so then who are "They" and are they really going to look at each members points and see if they were/were not used previously before they extended their spend date?

and still on with Reese - she's on hold for a supervisor and I'm snapping pics of our conversation!

I've talked to MS a couple times through chat and phone. All of my answers have been the same. We're sitting here watching paint dry with Aulani not cancelling more than a couple weeks out at a time when I doubt there's anyone here thinking they're opening in July with a mandatory quarantine in effect. I was told the 2018 banked (Sept UY) points will lose their extension clause if we cancel before Aulani does. Then, if cancelled, we can't call to use those until somewhere around Sept 7th.

so then who are "They" and are they really going to look at each members points and see if they were/were not used previously before they extended their spend date?
That is what they did when I called MS yesterday. Before the MS rep could tell me if my 2018 banked points were eligible for the extension, he told me he would need to put me on hold while he reviewed the history of how those points had been used.

Here is the follow up from my "chat" with Reese - that took 1.5 hrs - that's right folks, I chatted for 1 hour and 30 minutes!! :crazy2:

and @FinnFogg I used you as an example who had been "allowed" to do this...

HAPPY READING and I hope this helps others in my situation...if you want the short version, look below the chat box...

Basically, I'm being told that b/c my Aug trip was booked using cancelled pts from a June impacted trip and that Aug is no longer impacted that those 216 pts will NOT extend to Nov. 30th and still expire Aug 30th (Sept UY) and/or must be banked with RCI by July 18th but the 34 pts I've not touched will extend.

Those of you that were told otherwise should call MS.

Not sure what we'll do about Aug since I haven't cancelled it yet...

MS told you that you were given incorrect information on the phone this morning, and they would not stand behind what you were incorrectly told. If you had cancelled online rather than calling to cancel you would have never known.
I wonder what they would have done if you had been given incorrect information on a chat this morning and had the transcript.

ETA: I believe others have posted they have been told they were eligible for the extension even though they rebooked, and they were told that on a chat. They then had the transcript emailed to them as documentation. What will happen to them?

Last edited:
MS told you that you were given incorrect information on the phone this morning, and they would not stand behind what you were told.
I wonder what they would have done if you had been given incorrect information on a chat this morning and had the transcript.

ETA: I believe others have posted they were told they were eligible for the extension even though they rebooked, and they were told that on a chat. They then had the transcript emailed to them as documentation. What will happen to them?
so I did ask that since I almost cancelled my Aug trip this morning after my conversation with Sierra and I said this to Reese:

and basically thats when she went to the supervisor...

and then at the end addressed my incorrect information here:

this is a cluster still and I'm still not sure what I'll do..

Attachments

• 1592503929020.png
    1592503929020.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 3
so I did ask that since I almost cancelled my Aug trip this morning after my conversation with Sierra and I said this to Reese:
I read the entire transcript you posted and had seen what you highlighted. All I can say is WOW.

I just wonder if the answer would have been the same if you had been given the incorrect information on a chat this morning, so you had the documentation. Especially if you then cancelled your August reservation on-line and waited until September to call MS again, and only at that time found out you had been given incorrect information.
I think others are in that situation. Hopefully DVC will once again revise the policy.

I also found it strange in reading the transcript, you were told "At the time the August reservation was made, we did not have these policies in place for October Use Years" If the policy had been in place, you might not have made the August reservation. You only made that reservation because you thought those points were in a "use them by Aug 30 or lose them" situation. I would of though once the new policy was announced they would have allowed you to "undo" your August reservation as if it had never been made, so your points would have qualified for the extension. (That is what they did for June UYs when they allowed them to undo the deposits to RCI)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the info I was given. And they did go through my account and said the last place those 15 points were was not a closed date.

She confirmed it this morning for me too. I feel bad for anyone who has a later UY because if it turns out not to be true, by that time, rooms will be gone.

View attachment 502014

View attachment 502013

Here is an option..but could be risky...see if you can get a reservation at Aulani in the next week or two? It is not yet open and once there, those points would be eligible again.

I tried but needed more than 15. Of course, then you are out of August if it doesn’t work...though things are still pretty open.

Just a thought.

View attachment 502014

View attachment 502013

Thanks for the heads up! I called MS back and after they looked into it they came back and said the same thing....that the CM the day before had made a mistake. After an hour and a half re the CM going back and for the with her supervisor, she again came back and confirmed the policy per Avery&Todd’s update above and apologized for the misinformation?!? After pointing out the fact that I had now lost my August reservation (and cancelled my flights!) based on that misinformation, she got the supervisor on the line and they are making an exception (notwithstanding that I had rebooked in August) due to the CMs error yesterday and would extend my banked points until Nov 30. She couldn’t move them now, nor could she send me an email (because they have an internal system?) but she assured me that the mistake had been theirs and that it was all sorted and I just had to call back at the end of the first week of October to have the points allocated to my Nov booking. Two hours of my life that I will never get back, and I expect that I will be having a very similar conversation the first week of October!! 🙄

Are there that many CMs making the same mistake, or did the policy change?
Since they never published the details of the policy we will never know for sure, but it sure seems like they have changed it back and forth several times already. (see posts #41, 51, 52 & 53)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! I called MS back and after they looked into it they came back and said the same thing....that the CM the day before had made a mistake. After an hour and a half re the CM going back and for the with her supervisor, she again came back and confirmed the policy per Avery&Todd’s update above and apologized for the misinformation?!? After pointing out the fact that I had now lost my August reservation (and cancelled my flights!) based on that misinformation, she got the supervisor on the line and they are making an exception (notwithstanding that I had rebooked in August) due to the CMs error yesterday and would extend my banked points until Nov 30. She couldn’t move them now, nor could she send me an email (because they have an internal system?) but she assured me that the mistake had been theirs and that it was all sorted and I just had to call back at the end of the first week of October to have the points allocated to my Nov booking. Two hours of my life that I will never get back, and I expect that I will be having a very similar conversation the first week of October!! 🙄
OH NO!! that totally stinks that you were told wrong info but GREAT that you were allowed to get your points extended..I kinda wish that I had gone ahead this morning and cancelled so I had the same opportunity and could move my Aug dates to Oct.

I have a feeling that we'll end up cancelling Aug and then banking all 250 to RCI..

great... :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter