2018 and 2019 Extended Points Outcomes

Are there that many CMs making the same mistake, or did the policy change?
Since they never published the details of the policy we will never know for sure, but it sure seems like they have changed it back and forth several times already. (see posts #41, 51, 52 & 53)
I think it's misinformation they're giving out which is bad.

and it's because they don't understand the rules right now...

Thanks for the heads up! I called MS back and after they looked into it they came back and said the same thing....that the CM the day before had made a mistake. After an hour and a half re the CM going back and for the with her supervisor, she again came back and confirmed the policy per Avery&Todd’s update above and apologized for the misinformation?!? After pointing out the fact that I had now lost my August reservation (and cancelled my flights!) based on that misinformation, she got the supervisor on the line and they are making an exception (notwithstanding that I had rebooked in August) due to the CMs error yesterday and would extend my banked points until Nov 30. She couldn’t move them now, nor could she send me an email (because they have an internal system?) but she assured me that the mistake had been theirs and that it was all sorted and I just had to call back at the end of the first week of October to have the points allocated to my Nov booking. Two hours of my life that I will never get back, and I expect that I will be having a very similar conversation the first week of October!! 🙄
Hate to be such a cynic, but despite what you were "assured" at this point you have nothing in writing. If you call in October and they then decide your points are not eligible for the extension, it is your word about what you claim you were told on the phone vs. what they tell you is the current policy. You might be told you must have misunderstood what you thought MS told you on the phone. Good luck in Oct.

ETA: I think DVC has gone above and beyond what they were required to do with regard to extending 2018 banked points. However, DVC has not published the details about which points are eligible for the extension, (specifically are rebooked points eligible?) or how and when those points can be used, and it appears (via posts on this board) the unpublished policy is constantly changing, so IMHO DVC has turned what should have been a major PR plus into a PR negative.

Last edited:
Hate to be such a cynic, but despite what you were "assured" at this point you have nothing in writing. If you call in October and they then decide your points are not eligible for the extension, it is your word about what you claim you were told on the phone vs. what they tell you is the current policy. You might be told you must have misunderstood what you thought MS told you on the phone. Good luck in Oct.

ETA: I think DVC has gone above and beyond what they were required to do with regard to extending 2018 banked points. However, DVC has not published the details about which points are eligible for the extension, (specifically are rebooked points eligible?) or how and when those points can be used, and it appears (via posts on this board) the unpublished policy is constantly changing, so IMHO DVC has turned what should have been a major PR plus into a PR negative.
Thanks for the words of warning. I feel pretty good about the discussion I had with them today. The Supervisor was very apologetic and assured me it was fixed. They were able to track the call that I had yesterday with the CM and identify who it was I spoke to, and they were clear that there were notes on my file re everything that happened yesterday and today, and the agreed upon resolution.

Thanks for the words of warning. I feel pretty good about the discussion I had with them today. The Supervisor was very apologetic and assured me it was fixed. They were able to track the call that I had yesterday with the CM and identify who it was I spoke to, and they were clear that there were notes on my file re everything that happened yesterday and today, and the agreed upon resolution.
To be clear, there wasn’t any misunderstanding (today) as to what the policy is. They were clear (today) that they are not (currently) extending banked points from a cancelled reservation that were used to rebook. However, they messed up (when their CM provided the misinformation and cancelled my reservations) so the extension to Nov 30 is their way of making up for that.

I called MS and was told “no”.
I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I would get a call back.
Today I got the call and was told they can extend 2018 points now that had been originally used in a reservation while the resorts were closed.
She also said I can call at the beginning of my AugUY to have my extended points reallocated in my Sept trip since the extension is only through Nov.
Thank you so much for posting about this!!! I thought that we would have to go in August in order to use the points, which was going to be hard to do.

The supervisor was able to give me "consideration" and it is on a case by case basis. I am so thankful!
The two posts above are from June 9th and June 10th, when the policy seems to have been different than it is today.

@Disneyepcot and @PrincessDuck have you confirmed that your points will still be extended now that the policy appears to have changed?
Although it might be better not to call until August and then if MS tells you your points are not eligible, you could argue at that time your points should be "grandfathered in" for the extension based on what you were told in June

ETA: It is especially frustrating because we already went through this in late May. The two posts below from May 31st reported the policy was not to extend 2018 banked points that would have otherwise qualified if they had later been used for a new reservation. Then sometime in the second week of June the policy was changed to extend those points. Now it appears to have changed back to not extending those points. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I can live with whatever DVC decides, they just need to make a decision, publish the details of that decision, and apply it to all members whose points are in the same situation. It should not depend on whether you called May 31st , June 10th, or June 18th.
DVC might say that but it would be illogical bc my reservations for 4/28 and mid May (don't recall the exact date at moment) came and went. There was no reservation to keep. Just bc you park points in another Reservation does not negate the plain English of their offer: reservation during closure makes you eligible to extend your points. The new reservation in no way extinguishes the fact you had a closure time-frame reservation. And, that's the ONLY criteria per Ms. Schultz.

I certainly agree with an earlier point you made, iirc, that they were very short-sighted not to have included restrictions in the 5/27 email, if that is what they planned to do. Don't create a magnanimous sounding solution to the problem, when, in fact, it is none of that. I know we are all on the same side here. :) But, from my perspective, the August and September UY members were really short-changed. August UY members were left in limbo with no input for 10 weeks on what would happen, at which time they learned DVC parks would be open the last couple of weeks of their UY. To be penalized bc members were fearful and parked points in a reservation days away from the end of their UY is punitive on DVC's part. JMHO, of course. :)

Last edited:
ETA: It is especially frustrating because we already went through this in late May. The two posts below from May 31st reported the policy was not to extend 2018 banked points that would have otherwise qualified if they had later been used for a new reservation. Then sometime in the second week of June the policy was changed to extend those points. Now it appears to have changed back to not extending those points. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I can live with whatever DVC decides, they just need to make a decision, publish the details of that decision, and apply it to all members whose points are in the same situation. It should not depend on whether you called May 31st , June 10th, or June 18th.
RIGHT! I have once again chatted with MS today and got the same answer that my points won't be extended if I cancel my Aug trip - my complaint was when Disney published the new extension for the Sept UY 2018 points until Nov. 30th, they did NOT mention that if you booked a trip with points that were originally used for an impacted cancelled trip (which was my situation) that the extension was void - that would have been nice to know from the get-go - not at the end when I'm trying to make a change. Perhaps even put a * at the end of the sentence that stated points used for a new, replacement trip would be exempt from the point extension if it's cancelled.

I am waiting for a call back from a supervisor, which I asked for, but I'm fully expecting nothing different to come from it - I'm sure they'll say they're still sorry I received incorrect information (twice) and if I'd pulled the trigger and cancelled my Aug trip under the information that it would extend THEN they'd fix it but since I hesitated I'm basically being "punished" for it..

ugh..

RIGHT! I am waiting for a call back from a supervisor, which I asked for, but I'm fully expecting nothing different to come from it - I'm sure they'll say they're still sorry I received incorrect information (twice) and if I'd pulled the trigger and cancelled my Aug trip under the information that it would extend THEN they'd fix it but since I hesitated I'm basically being "punished" for it..

ugh..

and just to keep everyone apprised of my situation, because why wouldn't you want to know, right?? I'm still waiting for my call back from a supervisor. 🙄

I have chatted with MS 2xs since last Friday, since I was obsessively carrying my phone (and notes) around in case they called me (obviously they didn't), but they have TWICE assured me that I'm "still on a list to get a call from a supervisor"...and I'm sure by the time they get around to me, after all the craziness that this week has caused, it will be at the end of the day and they'll be tired and cranky and it will be a productive call..:crazy2:

oh, and one of my puppies ate part of a page of my notes....so there's that..

Disney’s magic is gone. Due to covid they, not I canceled our June trip. They than said I have to use the points by January 2021 or lose them. So I said October, sorry no rooms at our resort.
But i will lose the points, well that’s just the rules. If disney looks at these posts.
Know this I will drain money out of Disney and you say how? Every time I place a food order it will be wrong any customer care infraction will be meet with rage. Yup I’ll be the customer till I feel like you have been treated like you treated me and my family.

I hope everyone who gets screwed by Disney’s canceling their trip than say tuff luck you lose the points find ways to drain Disney of money and get them some vengeance.

One way is to always send back meals that are even in the slights bit wrong.

Going to make it a game to hurt Disney. Just like they hurt my family.

Disney’s magic is gone. Due to covid they, not I canceled our June trip. They than said I have to use the points by January 2021 or lose them. So I said October, sorry no rooms at our resort.
But i will lose the points, well that’s just the rules. If disney looks at these posts.
Know this I will drain money out of Disney and you say how? Every time I place a food order it will be wrong any customer care infraction will be meet with rage. Yup I’ll be the customer till I feel like you have been treated like you treated me and my family.

I hope everyone who gets screwed by Disney’s canceling their trip than say tuff luck you lose the points find ways to drain Disney of money and get them some vengeance.

One way is to always send back meals that are even in the slights bit wrong.

Going to make it a game to hurt Disney. Just like they hurt my family.

Your post just makes me sad..and angry..that this would be your response toward the hard working CMs that have nothing to do with your ownership.

It makes me and my wife sad too we have always thought of Disney as the company that did the right thing. So now I know that’s not true. So yes I am sad, and yes CM’s will need to deal with my rage and the rage of others treated this way. But if they did the right thing than I and others treated this way would not need to be angry. As for CM’s being treated poorly perhaps it will encourage leadership to do what’s right. If not than I will visit apron the my rage and bitterness

If you're upset with a decision from upper management at the company where you work that you feel unfairly impacts you, would you express your rage by being abusive towards your co-workers?

It makes me and my wife sad too we have always thought of Disney as the company that did the right thing. So now I know that’s not true. So yes I am sad, and yes CM’s will need to deal with my rage and the rage of others treated this way. But if they did the right thing than I and others treated this way would not need to be angry. As for CM’s being treated poorly perhaps it will encourage leadership to do what’s right. If not than I will visit apron the my rage and bitterness

This is not Disney not doing something. This is about you owning a timeshare, that is governed by laws and the contract you signed.

DVCM has actually put in polices above and beyond what they legally had to in order to help not only balance the system...which is their responsibility....and help as many owners as possible.

Having said that, go on the website and keep checking. Things are showing up all the time in October to book...I just got a 1 bedroom SV at BWV for 4 nights that was not there yesterday.

Today, several 1 bedrooms were there for my dates, when last week, I had no real choices to switch.

They're not going to change those rules. They're 100% banked points. As long as you use them by the end of your 2020 UY, you're good.

Some of you have got to calm down.

Patience.
I called today and they told me all 360 of my 2019 points had to be used by March 2020. I wanted to book a July vacation (which was what they cancelled). What magic did you work? Many thanks.

I called today and they told me all 360 of my 2019 points had to be used by March 2020. I wanted to book a July vacation (which was what they cancelled). What magic did you work? Many thanks.

Your 2019 points that you banked expire at the end of your 2020 UY which is March 2021.

You have 9 months still to use them before they expire.

All your 2020 UY points can get banked to 2021 and that July trip if you wanted.

June Use Year. Had a multi-resort stay booked in May. Disney cancelled and eventually 2019 points were restored. After the July date mentioned by Disney, the 2018 points were restored for November 30. Called DVC (and waited about 55 minutes) and the agent was helpful and friendly. I had an existing reservation in Oct and they modified it to use my remaining 2018 points. After the call, I checked and I now had the same number of points in my 2020 use year, which I promptly deposited to 2021. No issues.

Last edited:
I agree. We have been victims too of the Mickey Mouse greed as well for the points. They canceled are 2 week trip than said we need to use by January or lose.
Booking for November since we have too. Do I plan on wearing masks 100% of the time nope.

As for listing to their “new rules” they lost that right when they treated me like a paycheck and not like family as they claim we are. I am sure I’ll be told to put back on when I am drinking but I don’t care. It’s too hot not to drink.

Keith

I had March then June reservations cancelled by Disney. We booked in August to avoid losing 99 2018 banked points and 200 points from our September 2019 use year. However, since PA still has a 2 week quarantine requirement for FL visitors we cancelled. I called Member services yesterday at 45 days out to transfer our points to RCI and the CM had me hold while she reviewed my account. She came back and said that the 200 2019 points will show up in September 2020 use year the first week of September. She also mentioned that the 99 points banked from 2018 would be available but that I would have to call member services to use them.

I'm hoping that all Member Services staff now correctly knows the policy. I had previously been told in a chat that since I had an August reservation the points weren't eligible for the extension. I'm going to chat today and see if I get the same answer or not. I guess I just have to wait and see what the policy is come September.....;-) ]

I had March then June reservations cancelled by Disney. We booked in August to avoid losing 99 2018 banked points and 200 points from our September 2019 use year. However, since PA still has a 2 week quarantine requirement for FL visitors we cancelled. I called Member services yesterday at 45 days out to transfer our points to RCI and the CM had me hold while she reviewed my account. She came back and said that the 200 2019 points will show up in September 2020 use year the first week of September. She also mentioned that the 99 points banked from 2018 would be available but that I would have to call member services to use them.

I'm hoping that all Member Services staff now correctly knows the policy. I had previously been told in a chat that since I had an August reservation the points weren't eligible for the extension. I'm going to chat today and see if I get the same answer or not. I guess I just have to wait and see what the policy is come September.....;-) ]

The moving of points originally used in trips during closure thst were moved before the policy announcement has been inconsistent.

The one thing that has been is that those banked 2018 points will only be extended until November 30th, and you will need to call,

However, if you have a trip already scheduled before then, they will allow them to be reallocated.

In terms of late banking for the 2019 points, I was told no because my reservation was moved and resorts were open. I was then told in a 3rd call that since it was before parks opened, it would count and those 15 would show up first with of August since they are in my August UY..

Since DVC hasn’t put all of this in writing, IMO, I think the policy isnt clear or they change things as they watch what is happening.

Hopefully, they all get move for you after September 1st!

I have some points which was originally used for a reservation in May with a June 2018 UY. They ended up being extended.

Am I able to ask for a reallocation of those points for a reservation in my April UY? That would mean I need to move the points to another of my memberships.

I have some points which was originally used for a reservation in May with a June 2018 UY. They ended up being extended.

Am I able to ask for a reallocation of those points for a reservation in my April UY? That would mean I need to move the points to another of my memberships.
Maybe.

Is the existing reservation set to occur prior to the expiration of the extended points? If not, then no. IIRC, the extended 2018 points expire on 11/30/2020.

Was the existing reservation made after the 7 month window opened? If not, then probably not unless the extended points are from the same home resort as the points used for the existing reservation.

My advice is to call MS and ask - but I suspect you were planning to do that anyway and just want to know if your request is likely to be successful. :) Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter