2018 Disney Dining Plan Prices & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this will not change drinking habits - the drinkers were probably buying the drinks in addition to the dining plan anyway. Even though Disney may not make as much money per drink, it's still significantly above their cost, so they're still making money. And who knows, this may actually encourage those not planning on buying DDP to buy it now, making Disney even more money.

And, I may even try the fancy milkshakes now, which I probably would not have tried before the change (at least when I'm not sipping "Tipsy Ducks")

Yes it is technically an option, but so is ordering the most expensive thing on the menu. People do it because they can and because they perceive that's how they get value from the plan. I doubt it will be different with the alcohol. People who normally wouldn't drink will get drinks because they can and it's a a great "value".

Well I was far and away when that happened, so what I didn't know didn't bother me.

:confused3 then don't let it bother you now. nobody's forced to buy the plan, and nobody is forced to order the most expensive thing in each restaurant. if everyone did that to maximize the value of the dining plan and actually access the "savings" advertised by Disney, there wouldn't be much incentive to continue to offer this. especially for the parties staying in a value resort with enough people that the free dining promotion is actually a great deal, they probably aren't feeling the pressure to extract every ounce of value from the dining plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there's a small number of people (who all seem to congregate on the DIS) that actually crunch the numbers before and after using the dining plan to determine whether they made a "good" financial decision in purchasing. but once vacation ends, *everyone* realizes it's a sunk cost. at most, doing a post-trip analysis will probably inform the person's next visit, but plenty of people will not pore over their receipts after their vacation precisely because it's over.

more to the point, sunk costs are exactly why "free" dining and the dining plan in general appeal to people: pre-pay your meals except tip, and then the price "doesn't matter" when you're in the restaurant. lots of people on these forums will post trip reports and admit the dining plan cost more than it would've OOP, but they wanted to try it, or they liked the freedom in ordering, or it was just a nice safety net to know they could dine just about anywhere, or they were ambitious and thought they could order steak forever. but they know during their 5-day, 7-day, 10-day trip that they are not ordering steak 2 times a day and are losing value on TS credits or wasting snack credits. and the freedom of sunk costs frees them from caring, because why should they? the money's already long gone; might as well order what you like. and maybe pay a lower tip on a $30 (instead of $50) entree.

I would believe that a majority of people would change their behavior to always maximize value on the dining plan if it worked like this:
> you still pay for the plan ahead of time, but get a refund for any unused credits after your trip ends.
> if you use up all your credits - whether you "under spent" the value of each credit or maximized - you don't get a refund.
in that situation, paying attention to price would be on many more minds than it is now. it's still a sunk cost, but with the dangling carrot of ~money back~!

since the dining plan doesn't work that way (and never would), and I highly doubt most people come back truly maximizing of the plan, I also don't believe that this will suddenly force everyone to buy more alcohol.
the people who *really* wanted to drink on the dining plan before, did. they paid OOP.
the people who *really* want to drink on the dining plan in 2018, can, and more power to them.
the people who had a take-it-or-leave-it approach to alcoholic beverages before, might drink. might not. might just act like they would outside of Disney and order a beer if they feel like it.
the people who reaaaally wanted to drink on the dining plan before but refrained because they didn't want to spend OOP and they did all of their dining plan calculations ahead of time, can finally get a jack with that coke. (or whatever.)
the people who don't drink at all can order a milkshake.
and the people who simply do not worry about maximizing the value of each credit, will fall somewhere into one of the above categories.

:confused3

since the dining plan doesn't work that way (and never would), and I highly doubt most people come back truly maximizing of the plan, I also don't believe that this will suddenly force everyone to buy more alcohol.

I think the only true way to maximize financially is for larger parties - book more than one room, but only buy dining plan for one of the rooms. Then everyone could share in its cost, but not feel like they have to tie themselves down to an eating pattern every day.

But for the record, I'm all about paying for convenience at times, to maintain my peace of mind (I booked Southwest into MCO, for instance, rather than flying Allegiant into Sanford to use Disney Express for my larger party)

I think the only true way to maximize financially is for larger parties - book more than one room, but only buy dining plan for one of the rooms. Then everyone could share in its cost, but not feel like they have to tie themselves down to an eating pattern every day.

But for the record, I'm all about paying for convenience at times, to maintain my peace of mind (I booked Southwest into MCO, for instance, rather than flying Allegiant into Sanford to use Disney Express for my larger party)

that's certainly one way of many!

at the end of the day, I don't think the majority of people buying the dining plan are busting out their spreadsheets and calculators. I think more people buy it for the feelings of "convenience" and the marketed potential of savings, without really worrying about credit value once they're on vacation. and there's nothing wrong with that. although I personally don't think it'd be more convenient (for me) than just charging to my room using my magicband.

I think the fears of drunkenness are overblown as well. A single serving of alcohol at lunch and another at dinner? That's only two drinks, separated by, what? 5-6 hours?, both taken with food. Worst case, someone with low tolerance gets a bit tipsy for a short while.

The disney facebook groups. Some are excited and others are upset. DDP is optional, you don't have to purchase it. I don't understand why people are so against it.

For the life of me I don't understand why anyone is upset. They do have some snazzy options with artsy milkshakes and more, which are a nice replacement for dessert folks. And hoping that means more drink options in lots of places. Now if this leads to beer/wine in MK QS (and it is not far fetched) I get that some purists may be upset. Even my DS doesn't like that (and he loves beer) but said he would be okay if only in QS locations and none in Fantasyland.

Yes it is technically an option, but so is ordering the most expensive thing on the menu. People do it because they can and because they perceive that's how they get value from the plan. I doubt it will be different with the alcohol. People who normally wouldn't drink will get drinks because they can and it's a a great "value".

Well I was far and away when that happened, so what I didn't know didn't bother me.

Yes, I would never ever pay for beer at Disney prices other than Epcot. Now, yes I would get a beer with my meal at AK etc and that is mostly because I don't drink soda, normally get water, this would be a value for me. Even if I don't want a whole beer, DS will finish it.

I'm not sure this will not change drinking habits - the drinkers were probably buying the drinks in addition to the dining plan anyway. Even though Disney may not make as much money per drink, it's still significantly above their cost, so they're still making money. And who knows, this may actually encourage those not planning on buying DDP to buy it now, making Disney even more money.

And, I may even try the fancy milkshakes now, which I probably would not have tried before the change (at least when I'm not sipping "Tipsy Ducks")

Maybe it is like a primer for some, free beer at lunch ... tastes good ... maybe buy a few more. Prior, maybe I bought none.

I think it will increase spending in lots of ways.
- Primer, as above
- Buying DDP when didn't before
- Staying onsite to buy DDP when didn't before

Quick Dining Plan
$52.50 per person per night ages 10+ (+$4.31 versus 2017)
$21.75 per person per night ages 3-9 (+$0.76 versus 2017)

Regular Dining Plan
$75.49 per person per night ages 10+ (+$6.13 versus 2017)
$25.75 per person per night ages 3-9 (+$0.81 versus 2017)

Deluxe Dining plan
$116.25 per person per night ages 10+ (+$9.57 versus 2017)
$39.99 per person per night age 3-9 (+$1.24 versus 2017)

*Estimates based upon comparing prices with and without the dining plans and divided by the number of adults/children per room, and then by the number of nights. Rounded to the nearest penny.

Using my handy-dandy spreadsheet posted previously to these forums, and plugging in a value of $5.00 per snack credit and valuing the refillable mug at $0, I get the following break-even costs per credit:

CS - Adult $21.25 (compare to $19.95 pre-tax), Child $5.88 (compare to $5.52 pre-tax)
TS - Adult $44.24 (compare to $41.54 pre-tax), Child $10.75 (compare to $10.09 pre-tax)
Dx - Adult $35.42 (compare to $33.26 pre-tax), Child $10.00 (compare to $9.39 pre-tax)

Edited to add: If you want the numbers run for different assumptions on the snacks and mugs, just ask me, or alternatively, look up the thread where I posted the spreadsheet originally and plug in the numbers directly.

Last edited:
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone is upset. They do have some snazzy options with artsy milkshakes and more, which are a nice replacement for dessert folks. And hoping that means more drink options in lots of places. Now if this leads to beer/wine in MK QS (and it is not far fetched) I get that some purists may be upset. Even my DS doesn't like that (and he loves beer) but said he would be okay if only in QS locations and none in Fantasyland.

I went round and round with this myself, as did my DH and while we honestly believe that there are those who are genuinely concerned and uncomfortable with guests drinking at WDW and there are guests who want to make sure that they get the full value of their dining plan, I also think that there are some who seem to feel that if they can't or won't use a particular perk/benefit/entitlement/experience, that nobody else should be able to.

I'm certainly NOT singling anyone out in any way and people can bash me if they must, but having been on The Dis a long time, I've seen it here over and over again. Heck, I've also seen it time and again at WDW. The price of the 2018 dining plan would have gone up anyway and Disney did a great job making sure that there was a new inclusion for just about everyone at a reasonable cost increase.

Last edited:
I went round and round with this myself, as did my DH and while we honestly believe that there are those who are genuinely concerned and uncomfortable with guests drinking at WDW and there are guests who want to make sure that they get the full value of their dining plan, I also think that there are some who feel that if they can't or won't use a particular perk/benefit/entitlement/experience, that nobody else should be able to.

I'm certainly NOT singling anyone out in any way and people can bash me if they must, but having been on The Dis a long time, I've seen it here over and over again. Heck, I've also seen it time and again at WDW. The price of the 2018 dining plan would have gone up anyway and Disney did a great job making sure that there was a new inclusion for just about everyone at a reasonable cost increase.

THIS^

I think for one of the first times a Disney increase actually came with a perk instead of being just one more increase for the same old, same old.

If you don't like the offering, it's optional, don't buy it. I stopped it years ago because I didn't want desserts, I wanted appetizers ... I don't drink soda (so mug no plus either), but I'll have a beer or cocktail. I couldn't make the numbers work then, I could now. So if there is someone who made it work before but not now ... maybe it's time to drop it like I did.

As far as folks drinking ............. they already are, this changes nothing. If drinking in MK changes, more than it has ................ it probably would have anyway but offering this softens the blow. It's still VERY expensive to get even tipsy at Disney, even with this as you will be consuming while eating. I don't think we'll see broad whooping it up other than Epcot, and even then it's mostly festival fun.

THIS^

I think for one of the first times a Disney increase actually came with a perk instead of being just one more increase for the same old, same old.

If you don't like the offering, it's optional, don't buy it. I stopped it years ago because I didn't want desserts, I wanted appetizers ... I don't drink soda (so mug no plus either), but I'll have a beer or cocktail. I couldn't make the numbers work then, I could now. So if there is someone who made it work before but not now ... maybe it's time to drop it like I did.

As far as folks drinking ............. they already are, this changes nothing. If drinking in MK changes, more than it has ................ it probably would have anyway but offering this softens the blow. It's still VERY expensive to get even tipsy at Disney, even with this as you will be consuming while eating. I don't think we'll see broad whooping it up other than Epcot, and even then it's mostly festival fun.

This is exactly how I feel about the DDP, that I might now be able to make it work for my habits. I am an uber-planner and priced out the DDP for my trip last month and couldn't make the numbers work since I enjoy having a drink with meals. I instead opted for the AP discounts and Tables in Wonderland. However, I will definitely consider the DDP next year due to this change.

This is exactly how I feel about the DDP, that I might now be able to make it work for my habits. I am an uber-planner and priced out the DDP for my trip last month and couldn't make the numbers work since I enjoy having a drink with meals. I instead opted for the AP discounts and Tables in Wonderland. However, I will definitely consider the DDP next year due to this change.

Yes, we have had TiW and it was a better deal for us. This year having the added AP Discount at some QS was great.

Yes, we have had TiW and it was a better deal for us. This year having the added AP Discount at some QS was great.

Isn't it true, though, that TiW and AP discounts won't help most tourists - don't you have to be a local or frequent visitor to be eligible?

Isn't it true, though, that TiW and AP discounts won't help most tourists - don't you have to be a local or frequent visitor to be eligible?

Florida Resident, AP Holder or DVC for TiW

Yes but for PP I was quoting and I this was a better option since it's a 13 month discount and includes alcohol.

But with new DDP, we could find a way to make it have value for us - before we had to compare end cost with our discounts.

I really think this matters on a per-party basis... I'm getting an AP and TiW, because we already planned on dining at primarily TiW restaurants, including a few signatures. Our trip is just 8 days, but after pricing it out, savings from this trip alone will more than pay for the TiW card itself.

Of course, we need to go back next June for a wedding (blech, humid weddings), so that helps too.

As you can see from above, not necessarily. It really all depends on how often you go, where you plan to dine, and how much you expect to spend.

Yep, we just got back from a trip using the regular dining plan, and it was just two of us. My traveling companion (oldest child) is 18, but on a few occasions she chose the fancy nonalcoholic drink and it was included as her beverage, with the exception of the glowing cup at BOG.

This trip was intended as our last hurrah with the dining plan, but now I don't know. We had a lovely meal at California Grill and the server (Mo! Mo is amazing) recommended an excellent wine. I enjoy a glass of wine when it's chosen to complement the meal (and it was too hot to really tie one on) but that glass of wine was $19. 100% worth it, no regrets, but including it with the meal plan? I might be willing to fork over the money for the DDP next year. I just have to do the math.

The only time I had a beer with my QS meal was at Yorkshire County Fish Shop, though.

So basically it still add the drinks to your table service or quick service but now you have a choice if you want alcohol otherwise it don't change for those who don't drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!