2018 Pre-trip package

I still use my backpack from 2010 on a fairly frequent basis. Love it! I've been so disappointed with the bags since then.

Oh, and I also use my ABD luggage strap on almost every trip I take!

My daughter takes her navy ABD backpack with the leather bottom on all of our trips. And I still use my (now dirty) luggage straps. Those were nice pre-trip gifts. I now have 8 of the little zipper bags from our 3 trips last year and one this year. It would be nice if they sent different goodies for the 2nd or 3rd trips in the same calendar year.

We love those luggage straps - we only got them our first year - 2016. Would have loved to have gotten those every year, as a couple have been lost. They're super useful when traveling.

One of my regrets is putting some of the backpacks we got in 2010 and 2011 in the goodwill bag - did not realize how awesome they were at the time!
Our favorite ever though was the little rubbery Mickey head luggage tags.....
I don't care for this year's color at all.....

As a point of comparison, we are doing a Tauck Bridges trip this summer and that box just came - all for DD - a backpack made for a <10 year old (she is 13 and it is way too small for her), a water bottle and a pack of cards.

Our box arrived yesterday and for me created a flicker of annoyance, not excitement. The little zip bags were fine, I do find them handy. I don't like the brown color, but my kids liked it, so that's fine. My annoyance is that there are 4 of us going, at a hefty price, and yet they only send 2 spiral bound itineraries.* This didn't bother me on our earlier trips when the kids were younger, but now everyone wants their own itinerary to have on hand. We were trying to flip through it at dinner last night, and my constant refrain of "share, share" was a buzz killer. Is it really that expensive, that Disney couldn't send one for each of us?

*For that matter, we also only received 2 zip bags, even though 4 people on the trip, which I would have found annoying had I found the color even remotely appealing.

This is what I'm talking about when I mean I want a premium product beginning to end. Either send something for each person booked, or just don't send anything at all. But don't do it halfway.

Are the number of items based upon the number of rooms? I ask because we have 3 people, but only got one of each item. It's likely that everything we got is going in a donation bin, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just curious.

One idea I have for improving the boxes without much expense to ABD is to create a second itinerary book that's geared towards kids. It wouldn't have the logistics info that's in the regular book and would maybe have some extra fun facts, journaling pages, puzzles or coloring pages. My son would have been delighted to have his own book. He said that the one we got didn't have enough pictures.

Our box arrived yesterday and for me created a flicker of annoyance, not excitement. The little zip bags were fine, I do find them handy. I don't like the brown color, but my kids liked it, so that's fine. My annoyance is that there are 4 of us going, at a hefty price, and yet they only send 2 spiral bound itineraries.* This didn't bother me on our earlier trips when the kids were younger, but now everyone wants their own itinerary to have on hand. We were trying to flip through it at dinner last night, and my constant refrain of "share, share" was a buzz killer. Is it really that expensive, that Disney couldn't send one for each of us?

*For that matter, we also only received 2 zip bags, even though 4 people on the trip, which I would have found annoying had I found the color even remotely appealing.

This is what I'm talking about when I mean I want a premium product beginning to end. Either send something for each person booked, or just don't send anything at all. But don't do it halfway.
I have to agree with you. I find their boxes more disappointing than exciting and wish they’d go back to old days with one for everyone. On our first trip, we each received hats and very nice backpacks. The adult backpacks had leather bottoms. I tHink they need to change it up or just why bother. Nat geos box was much better and we each got one!

Are the number of items based upon the number of rooms? I ask because we have 3 people, but only got one of each item. It's likely that everything we got is going in a donation bin, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just curious.

One idea I have for improving the boxes without much expense to ABD is to create a second itinerary book that's geared towards kids. It wouldn't have the logistics info that's in the regular book and would maybe have some extra fun facts, journaling pages, puzzles or coloring pages. My son would have been delighted to have his own book. He said that the one we got didn't have enough pictures.
I was told it was one box per room on the cruise.

I have to agree with you. I find their boxes more disappointing than exciting and wish they’d go back to old days with one for everyone. On our first trip, we each received hats and very nice backpacks. The adult backpacks had leather bottoms. I tHink they need to change it up or just why bother. Nat geos box was much better and we each got one!
Knowing now from these forums what used to come makes me totally understand where you are coming from. However as a first timer, I think that most first times would still find it a fun surprise, and that may be what they (ABD) are thinking about. Of course since they have such a presumably large % of their business being repeat customers, that may be an ill-advised strategy.

I love this idea!!! I wish I had the time to make an itinerary "journal" for our kids for our upcoming trip.

I agree ABD needs to up their game on these boxed gifts. ABD should be seen as the premier Disney experience and little things like the pre-ABD gifts help shape that impression. At this point, on my 11th ABD I have more than enough zipper bags, document holders, and luggage straps. Even DCL gives out decent quality backpacks. ABD should be a notch above that IMO. A good backpack, a higher quality picture book of the country, even a nice hat would be appreciated.

I love this idea!!! I wish I had the time to make an itinerary "journal" for our kids for our upcoming trip.
Our fi

On our first DCL Med Cruise in 2007 (no ABD!) my kids EACH received an awesome binder and each night received something like the daily navigator that talked about the next port of call, taught some words in the language and facts about the place we were to visit. They were also to come back on board and receive a few stamps on their papers. As parents we loved it....my kids learned stuff about our next place to visit in their terms, they were encouraged to visit staff members and also learned to say simple phrases in the multitude of languages that inhabit the DCL and it was a GREAT souvenir!

It was much like what you envisioned!!!!

On our first DCL Med Cruise in 2007 (no ABD!) my kids EACH received an awesome binder and each night received something like the daily navigator that talked about the next port of call, taught some words in the language and facts about the place we were to visit. They were also to come back on board and receive a few stamps on their papers. As parents we loved it....my kids learned stuff about our next place to visit in their terms, they were encouraged to visit staff members and also learned to say simple phrases in the multitude of languages that inhabit the DCL and it was a GREAT souvenir!

It was much like what you envisioned!!!!

My parents did that cruise in 2007 and reported back. That binder was one of the things they praised so highly to talk us into going on our first Disney Cruise to the Baltic in 2010. I think those would make a great addition to ABD.

I agree ABD needs to up their game on these boxed gifts. ABD should be seen as the premier Disney experience and little things like the pre-ABD gifts help shape that impression. At this point, on my 11th ABD I have more than enough zipper bags, document holders, and luggage straps. Even DCL gives out decent quality backpacks. ABD should be a notch above that IMO. A good backpack, a higher quality picture book of the country, even a nice hat would be appreciated.
Totally agree. One of the things I mod like about the nat geo packages is that they have included books and maps! I hadn’t thought about the cruise comparison but great point. As premier product they really should make it much nicer.

I did receive a nice, portable Rhine River travel book in my box, albeit from Ama Waterways. Just FYI. And may help some folks with planning.

.........the "Gift of Time" is greatly appreciated by us much more than a ninth backpack or other token "gifts" (that you pay for already).

This is something ABD did back when we first started with them. Much appreciated at the time. I don’t understand why they’ve cheaped out so much - we always used to give very positive feedback to the welcome gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter