2018 Prices

Ross J 82

Mouseketeer
The prices seem crazy to book direct with Disney.

We were looking at a 1 bedroom at Old Key West and the prices are £2k more expensive than our previous trip. Is this just down to exchange rate or are these prices likely to come down again. We are considering staying offsite for the first time or even not going anymore.

we have been looking at the 2018 prices, and they are so much higher, we would love to do another trip in 2018, but we are without a doubt going to do offsite, as the price difference is just to much now.

The prices seem to be crazy whoever you book with :guilty:

My theory at the moment even if you get a cheaper hotel offsite you still have to add a lot of money on for food, so even though WDW seem expensive that's food inc ( if you're looking at Free dining? )

I've been working out costs of a cheaper offsite hotel but then I would have to add roughly £1500 on for food ( 4 of us ) so we may as well stay onsite and get the food and other perks added on i.e not paying to park at WDW.

I'm checking regularly as well hoping they go down. I've looked briefly into offsite but I like the fact the buses take you everywhere etc and you get emh. It looks like we will have to delay until the following year unless changes become more affordable.

2018 wasn't scheduled to be a Disney year for us and thank goodness, the prices are crazy. The same vacation we're paying just over £4k for this year is over £5.5k next year :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Perhaps down to the number of moderate rooms which won't be available due to redevelopment at CBR and CSR?

it's mainly due to currency (euro and gpb) devaluation. I calculated about 27% down last 4 years. The rest is 5% WDW inflation. The tickets to the parks are sooooo expensive now compered to few years ago.

Absolutely agree that the prices are up substantially. Out of interest I pulled up some old spreadsheets on the computer I have the details of 14 nights at a few resorts for July 2015. I priced the exact same dates with free dining and tickets. This is without flights. The difference I found was as follows:

Yacht & Beach Club £5,370 now £7,196 (rise of over 34%)

Wilderness Lodge £4,964 now £6,846 (rise of nearly 38%)

Animal Kingdom Lodge £4,488 now £6,328.00 (rise of 41%)

POFQ with Free QS £3,396 now £4,662.00 (rise of over 37%)

Since pricing up a number of the resorts now have no standard rooms meaning it would £742 more expensive for pool view at AKL and £336 at Port Orleans and Coronado Springs £280.

It really is a staggering increase. If overall costs remain high I will be considering other options next summer.

In 2016 I wasn't due to be going to Disney so hadn't booked onsite with the dining plan. I really loved our offsite accommodation. I have still to do the final sums. It will be interesting to see how prices for offsite accommodation compare for next year.

Absolutely agree that the prices are up substantially. Out of interest I pulled up some old spreadsheets on the computer I have the details of 14 nights at a few resorts for July 2015. I priced the exact same dates with free dining and tickets. This is without flights. The difference I found was as follows:

Yacht & Beach Club £5,370 now £7,196 (rise of over 34%)

Wilderness Lodge £4,964 now £6,846 (rise of nearly 38%)

Animal Kingdom Lodge £4,488 now £6,328.00 (rise of 41%)

Since pricing up a number of the resorts now have no standard rooms meaning it would £742 more expensive for pool view at AKL and £336 at Port Orleans and Coronado Springs £280.

It really is a staggering increase. If overall costs remain high I will be considering other options next summer.

In 2016 I wasn't due to be going to Disney so hadn't booked onsite with the dining plan. I really loved our offsite accommodation. I have still to do the final sums. It will be interesting to see how prices for offsite accommodation compare for next year.
Thems some increases!!!!!o_O

Have you considered renting points from a DVC member..? Should work out cheaper than cash, even with the FX.

I'm now considering buying DVC which works out cheaper although I wish the exchange was better. Wait to see what happens after the election.

I believe part of it is that the price difference between booking in the US and booking in the UK has (mostly) gone away. Earlier you could book in the UK for prices that were way lower than in the US but the last time I've checked the difference is now about 100-200 GBP on a 5000 GBP trip.

We bought in to DVC a couple of years ago & with the continued increase in costs it will have paid for itself in no time. Definitely look at renting DVC points as we also save money making some meals and last year we didn't hire a car for the first time & used Lyft/uber instead which saved us money too.

The prices for 2018 are being released On 6/20 for the US. Looking at this thread made me nervous. I'm taking my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary in Feb.

I love crunching numbers, so let's do it. Just to see where this hike comes from

As previously said, it's mainly down to exchange rate.

the 2015 rates are based on early 2014 exchange rate.
at that time, $1 was worth 60p

so the POFQ with free QS at £3,396 was worth $5660

the exchange rate at the time the UK rates were released this year had a dollar for 80p

the $5660 2015 POFQ booking, had it been purchased at the current exchange rate would have cost 5660 * .8 = £4258

so, in "today's Quid" the 2015 package *cost* was £4258 and now costs £4662

that's a £404 difference (at constant GBP vs USD value)

in reality, the Disney prices have only been raised under 10% since 2015

the killer is the exchange rate, because, basically, our money is worth so much less compared to what it used to be worth

I know it doesn't help making the holidays more affordable. But we're buying a US good/service, and our money (wether it be euros or sterling pounds) gets weaker vs. the US dollar.

there used to be a time where we'd get 2 bucks for a quid. That was "cheap holiday era".

But until that era comes back around (will it ever ? ) many of us (me included) will have to fall back on offsite accomodation; We'll pay 2015 disney prices for offsite, until we're eventually priced out ...

If it helps, the AUD is also rubbish against the $US, and we don't even get offered any special deals like UK residents get. However I did find a TA that will book me the UK deal, I have just gotten a quote and it was higher than I expected though, I have to 'crunch the numbers' as the poster did above and work out whether it's a better deal or not because of all the inclusions.

Seriously folks if you go a lot think about DVC. I bought 160 points for £10000 resale at Saratoga and it had 2016 points on I could not use, so I rented them (went in 2 hours on Davids) for £1500, bringing the price down to £8500. This includes 2017 dues. For that I can go around 2 weeks a year in a studio in summer- dues cost per year is £50 a night now until 2054. I go every 2 years in a large 1 bed, so it costs me £100 a night (rack rate probably £750 for the 1 bed suite)- I have booked Poly and AKL this year. Next year Vero Beach and BLT. I can sell in 25 years etc and get all my money back (in fact will probably be worth quite a bit more). Never buy DVC direct though, too pricey. If I don't want to go I just rent for £1k clear profit a year after dues.

The prices seem crazy to book direct with Disney.

We were looking at a 1 bedroom at Old Key West and the prices are £2k more expensive than our previous trip. Is this just down to exchange rate or are these prices likely to come down again. We are considering staying offsite for the first time or even not going anymore.

Hi

While we've never stayed onsite (8th year this year), always seemed expensive and the rooms look like you're sleeping in the same room as the children, plus we always stay in apartments when we go to Spain for example, it was easier to deal with children in an apartment than a hotel, we felt.

You do feel like a second class citizen sometimes due to the advantages given when you stay at a Disney property I guess, but with a bit of planning you can do all you want without the convenience of being in the bubble.

As for cost we are a family of four me, DW and DD x2 both DD's are now adults as far as Disney is concerned, although teenagers as far as airlines. Our basic costs are for Oct 2017:

Flights Manchester to Orlando via Philadelphia £2600 great connections
Two bed condo at Windsor Hills 13 nights £700, it's really nice and has everything we want (WiFi and a bed mainly :-))
Car Hire £283.00

I would say that we spend a lot less than £1500 on food, we do dine at Disney around four or five times, we also like to dine elsewhere like Celebration, The Cheesecake Factory (it's a Big Bang thing) and Sweet Tomato (DW is Vegetarian).

So £5,000 plus, say £2,600 for flights seems very expensive to me, don't think we skimp by the way, we always do MNSSHP (we go Oct) and this year having lunch with an astronaut at Kennedy again, we spend a good amount maybe as much as some staying on site, but feel we get better value and more for our money this way.

Just my twopence hope it helps

Regards

Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!