2018 Princess Half Marathon

I haven't been to WDW since 2000. I grew up on the East Coast and we went every other summer. I moved to the West Coast and go to DL often. Needless to say I am more than super excited about my trip in Feb. What are some of your favorite restaurants? Trying to decide on dining reservations. Thanks for your input!

Any rumors on what the theme will be? Would love to start on my costume...
I have no idea about the theme, but I was thinking how much I love your hat and then realized it's a regular beanie with Minnie Mouse ears . I originally thought it was a beanie that came with Minnie Mouse ears and thought it was adorable and that I needed to find one .... not that I need a beanie often in San Diego

Just started my training!! Who else is getting their butt in gear this week?

I actually started pretty soon after I got back from Princess this year. I knew it was going to be a long road for me, and I wanted to be able to take my time. I used the Glass Slipper Challenge schedule for the 2017 races until the new schedule came out. This way, I can repeat or skip weeks as I need to and not get too jammed up at the end of the year.

If you are staying on property and at the bus stop in time, they'll get you to the race. They keep those buses coming! The lines can get long but if you are there, you'll get to the starting line no problem.

Agreed. I would recommend getting to the bus as early as you can. Traffic starts to get backed up the closer it gets to race time.

Any rumors on what the theme will be? Would love to start on my costume...

Nope! We'll know when they want us to know. There are all kinds of rumors every year, but you definitely don't want to base your costume on rumors. People did that last year and were 100% wrong.

I have no idea about the theme, but I was thinking how much I love your hat and then realized it's a regular beanie with Minnie Mouse ears . I originally thought it was a beanie that came with Minnie Mouse ears and thought it was adorable and that I needed to find one .... not that I need a beanie often in San Diego

I have one that's attached! I got it at Kohl's.

Silly question: additional spots occasionally open for 10k and half spots. My 5yo is suddenly interested in running a race but the dashes are sold out. Do they ever expand those?
I have been looking too! For my 1 year old neice. I remember with avengers they added an extra day of kids races and that opened up bibs but I am not sure they can do that with the Princess weekend.
Does anyone know if raw threads gets any dash bibs?

I just officially started training for the W&D Two Course Challenge. Feels good to get back into a race training program.

So, my sister is able to join us for PHM weekend, but missed out on registering for the 5K - does anyone know if any 5K bibs are still available through organizations/charities???

I just officially started training for the W&D Two Course Challenge. Feels good to get back into a race training program.

So, my sister is able to join us for PHM weekend, but missed out on registering for the 5K - does anyone know if any 5K bibs are still available through organizations/charities???

I believe there are still some 5k registrations left with Raw threads but she'd need to be a member.

Thanks!! When I was at WDW in Feb 2015 it was freezing cold. I thought my Patriots hat with my minnie ears on top looked very cute together!

Thanks!! When I was at WDW in Feb 2015 it was freezing cold. I thought my Patriots hat with my minnie ears on top looked very cute together!

I still shudder when I remember running the Frozen 5K. I feel like they cursed us by theming it like that!

I still shudder when I remember running the Frozen 5K. I feel like they cursed us by theming it like that!

It was sooo cold for the January 5k that year. They hid all the space blankets in first aid (which I know because I was volunteering and we huddled in there until race start after setting up the finish water/Powerade chute) and had no space heaters! At least for princess 5k they were better prepared for the few degrees colder that it was!

I'm hoping to make a lunch res for Whispering Canyon on Saturday after the dashes. Would 1:00 be too early? We would go straight from ESPN to WL by bus.

I can't imagine running that morning!! We were so bundled at MK that day. On the up side... it was empty at the park! Esp at night!

I ran the Frozen 5K in a down jacket. And thought it couldn't be any colder... until the WDW marathon this year. Yep, that was worse!

I have no strategy for running, no training plan, no plans to get a costume (although based on above I should bring my winter gear!), but I am concerned about ADRs which seems silly, I know. As ADRs are opening soon, can anyone comment on the time commitment for the Expo on Friday? I realize I will need to go there to pick up a bib, but I have never run a single race (disney or otherwise), so I am lost as to what to expect- I can get there via bus but how long do I plan on that taking? If I focus and don't look around how long will I need to be there? Is there a time I should go for minimum crowds? I have to ditch my husband with 2 preschoolers or take them all with me. I assume they would be bored with the Expo so I should go for the former, right? Can I do some sort of nice park lunch with the family (recommendations for things for a stomach nervous I might not make it through mile 4?) head to the expo for a bib, and make it back for a small, low key family dinner? Also, by my math & the required pacing I should be able to finish the 10K and make it back to an Epcot resort for an 11am brunch- is all of this beyond achievable? I know, advice is to leave the kids at home but that is not happening, so I need a strategy to make the weekend fun for all.

I have no strategy for running, no training plan, no plans to get a costume (although based on above I should bring my winter gear!), but I am concerned about ADRs which seems silly, I know. As ADRs are opening soon, can anyone comment on the time commitment for the Expo on Friday? I realize I will need to go there to pick up a bib, but I have never run a single race (disney or otherwise), so I am lost as to what to expect- I can get there via bus but how long do I plan on that taking? If I focus and don't look around how long will I need to be there?
It really depends on how busy it is at the time you arrive - being that it won't be opening day, you probably won't need to wait in line to get into the WWOS complex. If you skip shopping the expo, it really only takes 5 minutes to get your bib, another 5 for your shirt/s. Tack on some time to walk from the bu and back, figure 30 minutes at WWOS.

Is there a time I should go for minimum crowds?
I don't think it will matter too much on Friday, but I generally find it busiest when it opens, so later afternoon is a better bet.
I have to ditch my husband with 2 preschoolers or take them all with me. I assume they would be bored with the Expo so I should go for the former, right?
If you can, yes!
Can I do some sort of nice park lunch with the family (recommendations for things for a stomach nervous I might not make it through mile 4?) head to the expo for a bib, and make it back for a small, low key family dinner?
Absolutely. As for food, I recommend eating something as close as possible to what works for you in training.
Also, by my math & the required pacing I should be able to finish the 10K and make it back to an Epcot resort for an 11am brunch- is all of this beyond achievable?
That should definitely be do-able! Say you used the max 16:00/mile pace: last corral probably starts at 6:30am, a 16:00/mi pace has you finishing at 8:10, figure 30 minutes to get medal/food/water, 30 minutes to get back to resort, you'd be back to your room around 9:10-9:15. Plenty of time, and even more if you're in an earlier corral and/or run faster than that. Even if the bus takes longer, you have time.

Absolutely. As for food, I recommend eating something as close as possible to what works for you in training.
As I have only run for a few months, and am only up to 3 miles comfortably, I have no idea what works for me in training! Other than avoiding all I can eat, I am at a loss.

That should definitely be do-able! Say you used the max 16:00/mile pace: last corral probably starts at 6:30am, a 16:00/mi pace has you finishing at 8:10, figure 30 minutes to get medal/food/water, 30 minutes to get back to resort, you'd be back to your room around 9:10-9:15. Plenty of time, and even more if you're in an earlier corral and/or run faster than that. Even if the bus takes longer, you have time.
I don't think I will be in the last corral, but not far from it, so this is very helpful. Thanks!

As I have only run for a few months, and am only up to 3 miles comfortably, I have no idea what works for me in training! Other than avoiding all I can eat, I am at a loss.
I generally aim for a balanced dinner the night before a race - something with a lean protein (fish, chicken, eggs), carbs (brown rice, potato, pasta), and a vegetable... but I don't have a sensitive stomach. I know some runners avoid vegetables the day before a race because they have a hard time with them, and others can eat a greasy pizza. You really do just have to experiment and see what works for you! As far as making ADRs, maybe go with a place that offers a good assortment of options.

I can't imagine running that morning!! We were so bundled at MK that day. On the up side... it was empty at the park! Esp at night!

It was pretty rough! I can't remember the last time I was that cold for a run. I think it was the cold combined with the humidity.

You'll figure that out well before race day! Believe me...if you eat the wrong thing, you'll know.

I generally aim for a balanced dinner the night before a race - something with a lean protein (fish, chicken, eggs), carbs (brown rice, potato, pasta), and a vegetable... but I don't have a sensitive stomach. I know some runners avoid vegetables the day before a race because they have a hard time with them, and others can eat a greasy pizza. You really do just have to experiment and see what works for you! As far as making ADRs, maybe go with a place that offers a good assortment of options.

Same here. I don't carb load, I just make sure I eat carbs. I have a really sensitive stomach. I can tolerate veggies, but I don't eat them raw before a run. My favorite pre-race meal is the turkey and mashed potatoes dinner at POR.

I did frozen 5k and had on all my gear from Ohio. I have never been that cold Even in Ohio during winter runs. that is also day my hubs decided to check out softness of Epcot parking lot resulting in a broken arm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!