2018 Princess Half Marathon

Has anyone ever trained through the holidays before? How do you keep up? For me, the diet will be the worst when it comes to the holidays, plus my birthday is in December. Don't want to derail but also don't want to be running 9.5 miles just a few days after Christmas. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I have. It's not easy, because I go out of town, stay in a hotel, and it's a place that gets bad weather. You just have to do the best you can to keep up. I try to start training early so that I have a little bit of wiggle room, but I have done that 9.5 miler on vacation before. I've also put in many miles on a hotel treadmill.

Has anyone ever trained through the holidays before? How do you keep up? For me, the diet will be the worst when it comes to the holidays, plus my birthday is in December. Don't want to derail but also don't want to be running 9.5 miles just a few days after Christmas. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I feel like running 9.5 a few days after xmas would be ideal, actually! You'll be super carb-loaded haha. And what better way to uh take a break from your family. "Sorry, training for a half-marathon, gotta have a couple hours of alone time! back later!" (maybe you are fonder of lots of family time than I am though.)

I have. It's not easy, because I go out of town, stay in a hotel, and it's a place that gets bad weather. You just have to do the best you can to keep up. I try to start training early so that I have a little bit of wiggle room, but I have done that 9.5 miler on vacation before. I've also put in many miles on a hotel treadmill.

I haaaate treadmills. But I also travel quite a bit. What I figured out last time I was training for the PHM and traveling a lot was that I could struggle through my short weekday runs on a treadmill as long as I always did my long run outside. So every time I know I'm going to be traveling for a long run I map out an outdoor option... or rearrange my schedule so I do the long run a day early or a day late so I can do it at home.

Starting early so I have some wiggle room is something I always aspire to and fail at lol.

I haaaate treadmills. But I also travel quite a bit. What I figured out last time I was training for the PHM and traveling a lot was that I could struggle through my short weekday runs on a treadmill as long as I always did my long run outside. So every time I know I'm going to be traveling for a long run I map out an outdoor option... or rearrange my schedule so I do the long run a day early or a day late so I can do it at home.

Starting early so I have some wiggle room is something I always aspire to and fail at lol.

I prefer running outside too, but I don't run outside in bad weather. If it's run on ice or run on the treadmill, I'll run on a treadmill. I try to watch Netflix on my Kindle and that helps.

This is the first year I've been able to start early. It's a lot less stressful if you can manage to do that.

I've trained through the holidays before. I actually find it's easier to run the day before or on the actual holiday. Then you feel accomplished and like you earned some extra dessert. I have 10 milers planned for both Christmas Eve (also my FP day) and NYE. Did 6.5 today which is the longest I've gone in at least three years and probably more like 6.

Has anyone had to do their back-to-backs in reverse order? I need to do mine on Sun/Mon, but I need to run longer on Sundays. Do you think it will matter?

If it's run on ice or run on the treadmill, I'll run on a treadmill.

right right! that's one of the hardest parts training up here in New England--final/most intensive training for PHM happens during the snow months. I'm hoping I can do it without breaking down for a gym membership for the treadmills.

I feel like running 9.5 a few days after xmas would be ideal, actually! You'll be super carb-loaded haha. And what better way to uh take a break from your family. "Sorry, training for a half-marathon, gotta have a couple hours of alone time! back later!" (maybe you are fonder of lots of family time than I am though.)

This will be my exact excuse for when my mother is in town from 12/14-12/27. Maybe the stress of having a house guest will push me through those extra miles.

I've trained through the holidays before. I actually find it's easier to run the day before or on the actual holiday. Then you feel accomplished and like you earned some extra dessert. I have 10 milers planned for both Christmas Eve (also my FP day) and NYE. Did 6.5 today which is the longest I've gone in at least three years and probably more like 6.

Has anyone had to do their back-to-backs in reverse order? I need to do mine on Sun/Mon, but I need to run longer on Sundays. Do you think it will matter?

I'm a nurse so I'll actually be working Christmas day and New Year's day this year but a long run before Christmas Eve dinner sounds like a great idea! Maybe I'll even go for a New Years Eve run! My FP+ day is Christmas.

I've trained through the winter holidays for the past few years - no problem! But I also take a very low-key approach to the holidays, so life isn't much different then than any other time. No changes to workouts or planned runs; I indulge in some yummy things, but I do that year-round, too; we don't travel, so that's not a hurdle.

I've had to do that a time or two due to weather and it was fine. But to do it for all back-to-back training weekends? Doesn't strike me as a good idea. The whole point is getting your body used to what will come on race weekend, which is running the long run the day after the shorter run. If there's no other way, it's better than nothing, but I'd really try to do some short-long b2b's toward the end.

I have had to run reverse a few times due to schedule and time. I did it a little earlier in training and was focused more on getting in the runs as opposed to "training with intent" if that makes sense. I dont see it as an issue if they are isolated events but agree princessV that doing it every weekend defeats the purpose. If you have to do your longer runs on the weekend, maybe modify your training to accommodate that? I can only get in my long runs on the weekend so I have scheduled my runs accordingly.

right right! that's one of the hardest parts training up here in New England--final/most intensive training for PHM happens during the snow months. I'm hoping I can do it without breaking down for a gym membership for the treadmills.

I can handle the cold, I'm just so afraid of falling! I guess I've had so many injuries, I just don't want to do anything to risk it.

I've had to do that a time or two due to weather and it was fine. But to do it for all back-to-back training weekends? Doesn't strike me as a good idea. The whole point is getting your body used to what will come on race weekend, which is running the long run the day after the shorter run. If there's no other way, it's better than nothing, but I'd really try to do some short-long b2b's toward the end.

I have to agree, unfortunately. You're not really getting the benefit from it if you do it in reverse order. You want your longest run to be on already tired legs, in order to adequately prepare you for what the challenge will be like.

You want your longest run to be on already tired legs, in order to adequately prepare you for what the challenge will be like.

And to spotlight nutrition and post-run strategies to refresh your legs as much as possible. In a perfect world, at least. :)

ran my POT 10K today! a bit over 1:10:00, which isn't quite as good as I wanted but it was like a ~swamp~ in Boston today, so I'm surprised I made it all honestly.

ETA do not know WHAT is up with my fonts, sorry if I was briefly shouting at everyone lol

It won't matter. When training for ultras, people generally do their longest runs first with the shorter one the next day. It's all about learning to run on tired legs.

What is everyone thinking for clothes/costumes? I have never run farther than 6.5 miles so I want something that's going to be comfortable, but still festive...any ideas?

What is everyone thinking for clothes/costumes? I have never run farther than 6.5 miles so I want something that's going to be comfortable, but still festive...any ideas?

I'm not totally sure yet! I bought a white t-shirt that says "i want adventure in the great wide somewhere" in gold and I'm considering that with my typical crop leggings (I wear those on every run - regardless of weather). I also might have my cousin make some sort of flowy tank top for me with her cricut (is that how you spell it?). Maybe the same saying (it is the title of my training journal after all) + my name on the back? TBD.

I'm not totally sure yet! I bought a white t-shirt that says "i want adventure in the great wide somewhere" in gold and I'm considering that with my typical crop leggings (I wear those on every run - regardless of weather). I also might have my cousin make some sort of flowy tank top for me with her cricut (is that how you spell it?). Maybe the same saying (it is the title of my training journal after all) + my name on the back? TBD.

This is similar to what I do. I get some kind of cute shirt with a saying on it and I wear pants I always run in. Then I usually wear a visor from Team Sparkle.

Because of what my feet do. (pronate, no arch, now a diagnosis of metatarsus adductus aka funky shaped feet...), I'm not letting her into my head like I did with the orthopedist guy. No one has ever understood how much walking hurts my hips and how jogging doesn't. Not doctors or anyone.

This is from a few weeks but I just wanted to say I have similar problems! I have extremely tight hip flexors and walking especially long distances hurts so bad but running doesn't. My lower abs and glutes don't activate while running also causing lower back tightness issues and some numbness/tingling in my feet. My boyfriend is a PT and is so encouraging. He has never told me not to run and tells me how to fix/help those issues. He says that the hip issues while walking is from my posture. While I'm running, especially since the low back issues I concentrate on my form and running properly but walking I'm a mess. I can't remember the term for it but basically while walking I push my pelvis forward, ie tucking in my backside and thrusting my hips out. I do it standing to and you can see how awful it makes me look. He says he sees it in a lot of girls, especially former dancers or gymnasts and it can cause a lot of pain/issues. I don't like to ask him to work on me because I feel like its making him take his work home but if I'm in a lot of pain he'll help release it with pressure. Basically pushing on specific spots in my glutes and along my pelvic arch in front. He got me an orb ball that I can use to work this out myself and I highly recommend! A tennis or lacrosse ball can work too but I find the orb ball is better. He showed me some stretches for hip flexor tightness (half pigeon is very helpful) and some strengthening things for my back. Squats are great for this too. Its been a whole new ball game since he showed me these. I still get the pain/tightness but I can work it out myself before it becomes too bad. I feel like you're PT shouldn't be making blanket statements like you shouldn't run when there are so many things that can help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter