2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Oh yay! That just happened today because I looked this morning. I’m going to see what happens this week with Wine and Dine and then look at renting DVC points for princess if all goes ahead.

I think I may have finally convinced myself that I need to do the 2019 princess half as my 1st Disney race!
Any recommendations on DVC accommodations from experience? Our home resorts are OKW, SS, BC, and GF.

I think I may have finally convinced myself that I need to do the 2019 princess half as my 1st Disney race!
Any recommendations on DVC accommodations from experience? Our home resorts are OKW, SS, BC, and GF.
We were thinking about doing the wine/dine but the theming appeals to me more at princess. Plus we will have more time to book a dvc rental. Dh doesn’t want to do another Disney trip this year either.

Got the green light from DH and we are all set up to rent DVC points at 11 months next week. We own at Aulani and Grand Cal, but I decided to rent to secure something (fingers crossed BWV) and then I’ll rent out mine.

Training for a 10K on 4/7 for POT. We live in AZ so once May hits, it’s pretty hot and 10ks are scarce till mid Oct. I do have a time from Avengers in Nov, but hoping to improve on it. I planned for 4 today and got super light headed around 3.5 and started walking at 3.8. I didnt eat beforehand so I gotta figure that out.

I tried running 3 miles today but only made it to 2.6 miles. It felt like someone was ripping my knee apart. Does anyone have experience with this? I’m going to the doctor on Tuesday so hopefully we get it figured out.

Time for me to bow out...we decided against 2019 Princess today so we have more money towards France 2019 since we are already committed to Marathon Weekend + Dark Side Weekend.

Time for me to bow out...we decided against 2019 Princess today so we have more money towards France 2019 since we are already committed to Marathon Weekend + Dark Side Weekend.
Is dark side better than princess?

Is dark side better than princess?

That is debatable. Some people hate Dark Side. Other people hate Princess. My husband is legacy for Dark Side so he will continue to run the challenge until at least year 5 and then we will make a decision if we continue that or not. I lost my legacy in 2017 thanks to my ankle and I decided I am no longer running half marathons until Star Wars Light Side returns to Disneyland.

Here are my personal pro/cons:

Princess Pro:
1) Weather Won't Be Too Hot Most Years
2) Good Time of Year To Travel
3) Running Down Main Street + The Castle
4) Pretty Medals
5) Awesome 10K Course

Princess Con:
1) A race full of women is bound to have some drama
2) A lot of new runners without knowing racing etiquette
3) Larger Crowds
4) Same courses as Marathon Weekend for 5K, 10K, Half so people that run both races get to repeat it within 5/6 weeks of each other.

Dark Side Pro:
1) Star Wars (I mean - I am Dis_Yoda)
2) Better course currently with the MK to EPCOT Route means no Mile 10 Overpass of Hell.
3) Better crowds of runners with a slightly better gender ratio.
4) During Flower & Garden Festival

Dark Side Con:
1) April Weather (This is not a con to my husband and I - we live in Southwest Florida so the weather doesn't bother us but it very well can bother people that don't live with heat + humidity so this could be a huge issue for people)
2) Don't run through the castle

That is debatable. Some people hate Dark Side. Other people hate Princess. My husband is legacy for Dark Side so he will continue to run the challenge until at least year 5 and then we will make a decision if we continue that or not. I lost my legacy in 2017 thanks to my ankle and I decided I am no longer running half marathons until Star Wars Light Side returns to Disneyland.

Here are my personal pro/cons:

Princess Pro:
1) Weather Won't Be Too Hot Most Years
2) Good Time of Year To Travel
3) Running Down Main Street + The Castle
4) Pretty Medals
5) Awesome 10K Course

Princess Con:
1) A race full of women is bound to have some drama
2) A lot of new runners without knowing racing etiquette
3) Larger Crowds
4) Same courses as Marathon Weekend for 5K, 10K, Half so people that run both races get to repeat it within 5/6 weeks of each other.

Dark Side Pro:
1) Star Wars (I mean - I am Dis_Yoda)
2) Better course currently with the MK to EPCOT Route means no Mile 10 Overpass of Hell.
3) Better crowds of runners with a slightly better gender ratio.
4) During Flower & Garden Festival

Dark Side Con:
1) April Weather (This is not a con to my husband and I - we live in Southwest Florida so the weather doesn't bother us but it very well can bother people that don't live with heat + humidity so this could be a huge issue for people)
2) Don't run through the castle
I would much rather have medals from the princess but dh would rather have medals from Star Wars. I would say the humidity and heat might bother us because we aren’t used to that, especially in April. We’ve gone the last 3 years during that last week of feb/first week of March time and like it. When you say larger crowds for the princess do you mean for the race or the parks in general?

I have done the 10k for both Princess and SW Dark Side and agree with the pros and cons that Dis_Yoda listed. I think she means the crowds for the race, but that could also translate to crowds in the parks as well. The heat bothers me - I have never adjusted to living in central fl and I have been here since 2004. I have lost over 50 lbs since doing the Princess 10k in 2016, so am going to do it next year with my BFF who has never run the princess (she has done all the others, most recent being the Dopey this year). I continue to do the SW Dark Side each year since its inaugural, but wish/hope they will do some kind of legacy medal for those of keep up with that each year come the 5th anniversary...

Trying to get a DVC rental and going crazy - got the email last night, then email the company back to say yes and I still haven't heard back on how to pay! Is this typical? I know these go fast, so I'm nervous the room will be gone.

Trying to get a DVC rental and going crazy - got the email last night, then email the company back to say yes and I still haven't heard back on how to pay! Is this typical? I know these go fast, so I'm nervous the room will be gone.

Typically you will pay once the agency formally secures your reservation.

We are thinking about doing the Princess half Marathon. Will it be really busy because of Presidents’ Day?

Edit: just realized that Presidents’ Day is the 18 not the 25. How will the week after the race look? Just wondering if we should plan on doing parks before the race weekend or after.

Last edited:
We are thinking about doing the Princess half Marathon. Will it be really busy because of Presidents’ Day?

Edit: just realized that Presidents’ Day is the 18 not the 25. How will the week after the race look? Just wondering if we should plan on doing parks before the race weekend or after.

The week of Presidents’ Day is winter break for most of the schools in the northeast and is usually busy. The week after PHM is usually quieter.

The week of Presidents’ Day is winter break for most of the schools in the northeast and is usually busy. The week after PHM is usually quieter.
Okay that’s what I was thinking. We usually go that week after the PHM but would like to try the challenge. I start physical therapy soon so hopefully we get things fixed

We are looking into renting the beach club but won’t know until next week if we can go. Is it likely that it will be gone that fast?

We are looking into renting the beach club but won’t know until next week if we can go. Is it likely that it will be gone that fast?
It is still available as of today.

I secured my DVC room at the Boardwalk! Looks like this is happening! We have never stayed there so I am excited to try it out.

It is still available as of today.

I secured my DVC room at the Boardwalk! Looks like this is happening! We have never stayed there so I am excited to try it out.
We would rather do beach club (that pool looks awesome!) but would be just fine with boardwalk if beach club is gone. Plus boardwalk is cheaper!

Does anyone know when the regular (non dvc) rooms are available to book? We looked into dvc rentals but need to do this trip in a moderate resort

Does anyone know when the regular (non dvc) rooms are available to book? We looked into dvc rentals but need to do this trip in a moderate resort
If you are looking to book a room only that can be booked over the phone 499 days in advance. Any sort of package or online booking has to wait until Disney releases them usually in the summer so June-July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!