2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

:hug:

I mean I really don’t want to relive my cone alley experience from last year. And I wish I could bypass the castle. But...

I might make my cousin hit Universal with me. Have you seen that 18 month AP special they’ve got? That would cover 2020 princess too.

I will miss the castle, and running down Main Street. I think that's the biggest thing. There is also no beating the feeling of accomplishment when you finish a half. PLUS the choir!

I haven't heard about that. What a great deal!

My 2 cents on this year’s medals:

I’ll start out by saying that I loved last year’s medals. I did the 5K and 10K, and had medal envy over the half marathon (I’m not a huge Snow White fan, but I LOVED that medal!). Even though I’m still new to runDisney, I figured this year’s medals wouldn’t be as exciting because last year was an anniversary year. This helped lower my expectations a little bit.

I don’t love the medals this year, but I don’t hate them either. I signed up for all of the races because:
1) I wanted to do my first half marathon in Disney
2) If I’m doing the half marathon I might as well do my first challenge :goodvibes
3) I was actually expecting to see Tiana and Aurora on the medals, and I didn’t want to suffer FOMO on the 5K medal if Tiana was on it and I didn’t run that one!

I love seeing Mulan and Jasmine, and they make complete sense with the new movies coming out. In my opinion, they should’ve made the 5K a Tiana themed medal because the 10th anniversary of her movie is in 2019. I have nothing against the Elena character (I honestly know nothing about her lol) but I think she would make more sense on the kids medals.

In the end, I’m really excited to be running all the races and earning alllll the medals!:cheer2: I’m sure they’ll look better in person regardless, and I will wear each one proudly around the parks!

I kind of agree. I don't hate them, but they are pretty disappointing, considering the high bar set by this year's medals.

Who else is starting to get really excited? Today marks 79 days before we arrive at WDW.

I had a great trail run this morning. It was shorter than normal, but much faster. (Having no mountains on the route, helps.) Fingers crossed my road speed hasn't decreased too much.

It looks like my run friend may be slower than anticipated, by quite a bit. Pending the outcome of the 10k, we may end up running separately for the half. I am hoping there will be enough distractions on the route that I won't be overwhelmed by it all.

Random question: are earplugs allowed on course? I would bet music earbuds are prohibited, but I will become overstimulated if the race is noisy and busy and need noise-reducing earplugs to help cope. Will this be an issue? I can hear voices and sirens through them. (They could be considered medically necessary and I could get a doctor's note saying that if needed. Just wondering if I need that note or not.)

Second random question: Are there any flashing lights on the courses, like emergency vehicles? They can trigger my PTSD and if I know where they will be ahead of time I can prepare myself, but when they show up unexpectedly I may blank out and literally not remember any of the race. Should I email runDisney and ask? Would they know?

I would bet music earbuds are prohibited

They aren't. They want you to be able to hear safety announcements, but they aren't prohibited. So your earplugs would be fine. I strongly recommend you get to the START of your corral so you aren't surrounded for an hour or more before you even start. And maybe, if you can think of something short and useful, have a shirt made with a phrase on the back that's visible (don't have a long braid or ponytail covering it), to help people not crowd you. Similar to some pregnant runners I've seen with "running for two" on the back of their shirts. Not everyone will see it, but some will, and that can help you.

If someone gets injured and you come across emergency responders, they might have flashing lights. I can't remember more. I barely remember the races on my own LOL.

Never run princess but I do know that some of the other weekends I’ve run the DJs on the road had flashing strobe lights

1lilsparks is right. The DJs usually have flashing lights. But unless there's an emergency there won't be any.

The "party" before the race could be an issue for you, though. The music and host are very loud. Very. And there are bright colored lights around. I don't particularly remember much flashing, but they're definitely annoying at 4:00am. The corrals for the half were pretty far from the main area and much quieter. I think they open the corrals around 4, so if you plan to arrive about then and book it to your corral and get a good spot.

Who else is starting to get really excited? Today marks 79 days before we arrive at WDW.

Second random question: Are there any flashing lights on the courses, like emergency vehicles? They can trigger my PTSD and if I know where they will be ahead of time I can prepare myself, but when they show up unexpectedly I may blank out and literally not remember any of the race. Should I email runDisney and ask? Would they know?

In different races I have seen DJs in the course with strobe lights. I'm not sure if they'll have them at your race but I'm sure that by the time you get to packet pick up they'll know where exactly.

They also shoot fireworks at the start of each corral. Not a big show but thought I'd let you know just in case.

Thanks everyone! All your previous experience is super helpful. I'll bring my better earplugs and see how the 5K goes, ahead of the other two longer races. Regular flashing lights aren't as bad as emergency vehicles, so that's good. I may just run super fast to get away from all the crowds and noise, LOL. My 10K PR was from a race that was super crowded, and that's exactly what happened.

Is there a course map anywhere that I’m not seeing? Trying to figure out the closest resorts, as well as where to tell my family to stand by the finish line...

Is there a course map anywhere that I’m not seeing? Trying to figure out the closest resorts, as well as where to tell my family to stand by the finish line...
You may be able to look at past maps though nothing is official till the program is out

Looks like the past 5k’s have you run primarily through Epcot.
Is this everyone’s experiences?

Yep. For both marathon weekend and princess weekend, the 5K course has gone through Epcot. It generally starts and finishes in the parking lots and goes through both World Showcase and Future World.
Nothing is set in stone, but most likely that will be what happens this year as well. Expect it to be the same course as the marathon weekend 5K, so once that course map is released (should be within the next few weeks), you'll pretty much know exactly where you'll be running.

Thanks everyone! All your previous experience is super helpful. I'll bring my better earplugs and see how the 5K goes, ahead of the other two longer races. Regular flashing lights aren't as bad as emergency vehicles, so that's good. I may just run super fast to get away from all the crowds and noise, LOL. My 10K PR was from a race that was super crowded, and that's exactly what happened.

The DJ lights that people are talking about are on cars like this. I tried to find a specific picture from the race but couldn't so this isn't exactly one of the cars but it's close.

Car.jpg

The last hundred yard or so of the course is setup so that people can only be on one side. That side has bleachers on it. I know some of those bleachers are reserved for people that pay for cheer squad. I am not sure how crowded it is for princess, but I know that for other races people that wanted to see us just gave up and watched from the slight hill overlooking the parking lot and the turn before you head down to the finish chute.

All but wine and dine historically are in Epcot
I thought Star Wars used the same courses as Wine and Dine. I know it does for the half.

Oh my goodness, just looking at that DJ car gives me anxiety. I have never seen anything like that before. Hmm... I will figure out a way to deal with it, even if it means running blind with my friend as a guide. Thank you!

Are these cars frequent, or maybe just one per race?

@HomeiswhereMickeyis - That's brilliant, thank you!! I do this with some attractions and queues already, but never thought someone would wear a camera for the run.

I am surprised it would be permitted -- Disney allows a lot of things that would never be allowed in the races I've done.

@spacecanada A good way to prepare for what to expect may be to watch some YouTube videos of the races you are running! Rezruns does some great videos that will give you a good idea of what the courses are like and what entertainment may be on course.

We met Rez Runs (Gerald) at Wine & Dine and he was so lovely! Definitely one of my favorite Run Disney Youtubers! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter