2020 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR and Some Info for 2021

figment_jii

DIS Veteran
In 2014, Disboard poster Geemo started a thread that listed the major conventions, events, and school breaks at or near DLR. Dis'ers seemed to find the thread helpful, so a 2015 version, a 2016 version, a 2017 version, a 2018 version, and a 2019 version were created. This is a continuation of those threads, but for 2020!

This is NOT an official Calendar, for reference only. This is also not an all inclusive list, but I will do my best to keep it up to date. Please let me know if you hear of anything to add to the list.

Post #1: Events, Activities, and Holidays At/Around/Near Disneyland Resort
Post #2: School Breaks/Recesses (In Process)
Post #3: Other Dates

Last updated: April 20, 2020

Events, Activities, and Holidays At/Around/Near Disneyland Resort

January 2020
(Check-In)
Jan 1 (Wed): Rose Parade and Rose Bowl
Jan 3-6 (Fri-Mon): Three Kings Day Celebration
Jan 4 (Sat): Last Day of Signature & Deluxe Holiday Blockout
Jan 5 (Sun): Last Day of SoCal Select and SoCal Holiday Blockout
Jan 6 (Mon): Last Day of Holiday Season in DLR
Jan 6 (Mon): Last Day for It's a Small World Holiday [Reopens: Jan 17], HyperSpace Mountain [Reopens: TBD], Snow White's Scary Adventure [Reopens: Summer 2020]
Jan 16-19 (Thu-Sun): NAMM Show (Anaheim Convention Center)
Jan 17 (Fri): Start of Lunar New Year Festival
Jan 20 (Mon): Martin Luther King Junior Day
Jan 20 (Mon): Last Day for Haunted Mansion Holiday [Reopens: Spring 2020]
Jan 25 (Sat): Lunar New Year
Jan 29 (Wed): Disneyland After Dark: 80s Nite

February 2020 (Check-In)
Feb 8 (Sat): DCA's 17th Anniversary
Feb 9 (Sun): Last Day of Lunar New Year Festival
Feb 12-13 (Wed-Thu): Disneyland After Dark: Sweethearts' Nite
Feb 14 (Fri): Valentine's Day
Feb 17 (Mon): Presidents' Day
Feb 25 (Tue): Mardi Gras
Feb 28 (Fri): Start of DCA Food & Wine Festival
Feb 28 (Fri): Debut of Magic Happens (Daytime Parade in DL)

March 2020 (Check-In)
Mar 3-7 (Tue-Sat): Natural Product Expo West 2020 (Anaheim Convention Center)
Mar 5 (Wed): Disneyland After Dark: PIXAR Nite
Mar 7 (Sat): Mini Gay Days
Mar 8-14 (Sun-Sat): Orange County Restaurant Week (Not a DLR event, but some DTD Venues participate)
Mar 14 (Sat): Disneyland and DCA Closure Due to COVID-19 Begins [Info]
Mar 17 (Tue): St. Patrick's Day

April 2020 (Check-In)
Apr 3 (Fri): Start of SoCal Select Spring Blockout [Last Day: Apr 12]
Apr 4 (Sat): Start of SoCal Spring Blockout [Last Day: Apr 12]
Apr 10-12 (Fri-Sun): WonderCon 2020 (Anaheim Convention Center)
Apr 12 (Sun): Easter
Apr 18-19 (Sat-Sun): Spring Dapper Day
Apr 21 (Tue): Last Day of DCA Food & Wine Festival
Apr 30 (Wed): Disneyland After Dark: Villains Nite
*Eggstravaganza (Probably starting in early April)

May 2020 (Grad Nites: May 8, 9, 15, 16, 20, 26, 27, 29, and 30[/S]
*Taste of Anaheim (Not a Disney Event, but Some DTD Restaurants Participate) [GardenWalk]

June 2020 (Check-In)
Jun 4 (Thu): Start of SoCal Select Summer Blockout in DCA [Last Day: Aug 16]
Jun 19 (Fri): Start of Deluxe Summer Blockout in DL [Last Day: Aug 16]
Jun 21 (Sun): Father's Day, Rescheduled Dapper Day (6/20-21)
Jun 26 (Fri): Start of SoCal Summer Blockout in DCA [Last Day: Aug 16]
Grad Nites: June 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, and 13

July 2020 (Check-In)
Jul 4 (Sat): Fourth of July
Jul 18 (Sat): Opening of Avengers Campus (DCA) - Opening Date Has Been Removed; No New Date Announced

August 2020 (Check-In)
Aug 16 (Sun): Last Day of Deluxe, SoCal and SoCal Select Summer Blockout in DL & DCA
Aug 27-30 : Star Wars Celebration 2020 (Anaheim Convention Center) -- CANCELLED
Aug 27: Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite -- CANCELLED

September 2020 (Check-In)
Sep 7 (Mon): Labor Day
Sep 13 (Sun): CHOC Walk (30th Anniversary) -- CANCELLED (Virtual Event TBA)
*Start of HalloweenTime (2020 Disboard)

October 2020 (Check-In)
Oct 2-4 (Fri-Sun): Gay Days POSTPONED, New Date TBA
Oct 12 (Mon): Columbus Day
Oct 31 (Sat): Halloween
Oct 31 (Sat): End of HalloweenTime (Typically)

November 2020 (Check-In)
Nov 11 (Wed): Veterans Day
Nov 14-15 (Sat-Sun): Fall Dapper Day CANCELLED 10/23/20
Nov 26 (Thu): Thanksgiving
*Start of Holiday Season (Probably around Veterans Day weekend)
*Holiday Parade Filming (Usually soon after Veterans Day weekend)
*Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Haunted Gingerbread House Workshops
*BlizzCon 2020 (Likely in early November)

December 2020 (Check-In)
Dec 18 (Fri): First Day of SoCal Select AP Holiday Blockout [Last Day: Jan 10]
Dec 18 (Fri): First Day of SoCal AP Holiday Blockout [Last Day: Jan 4]
Dec 19 (Sat): First Day of Deluxe AP Holiday Blockout [Last Day: Jan 4]
Dec 21 (Mon): First Day of Signature AP Holiday Blockout [Last Day: Jan 4]
Dec 10-18 (Thu-Fri): Hanukkah
Dec 25 (Fri): Christmas [DLR/DTD CLOSED]
Dec 26-Jan 1 (Sat-Fri): Kwanzaa
Dec 31 (Thu): New Year's Eve
*Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Holiday Gingerbread House Workshops
Update:
*Candlelight Processional (Usually the first full weekend in December) -- CANCELLED (9/09/20)

<Forthcoming>

Update (11/15/20):
"Disneyland Expected to Remain Closed Until March 2021."
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...Rwb9rgTghDt6dQKo7z9JlEhTIt_TLNfzkzkrj71eCDhEs
Update (12/10/20):
Date announced for Virtual CHOC Walk, 3/20/21

Update (9/22/20):
Coming in early 2021:
https://www.chocwalk.org/?utm_campa...f8785f9f|b7029c27-fdf0-47f5-a2f9-5cd568a76979
Update (7/15/20):
Jan 01, 2021 Rose Parade Cancelled/Rose Bowl Game moved to Arlington, TX (12/19/20)
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-rose-bowl-moving-att-stadium-arlington-texas
Update (8/10/20):
Week of 1/18/2021 NAMM Cancelled
NAMM cancels 2021 convention in Anaheim due to coronavirus

Update (1/01/21):
Bats Day in the Park 5/02/21
http://www.batsday.net
Update (7/11/20):
Cancelled:
https://www.disneyyouth.com/programs/field-trips/dlr/grad-nite-disneyland/2021 Grad Nite Dates:
Overview | Disneyland Resort Grad Nite at Disney California Adventure Park | Celebrations & Field Trips
May 14,15,19,21,22,26,27
June 1,2,4,5,8,9,11,12,18

Notes
The AP Blockout Calendar underwent major changes in 2019, with separate blockout dates for DL and DCA. In general, there are fewer blockout dates for DCA regardless of the pass and more for DL. Major blockout periods (Spring Break, Summer, and Christmas) are in the list above, but now denote if they are for DL or DCA (or both if nothing is specified). Check out the Blockout Calendar for the latest information:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

This list does not include all of the conventions/events scheduled at the Anaheim Convention Center. It is only a partial listing. A full listing is available on the Anaheim Convention Center Calendar.
http://www.anaheim.net/calendar.aspx?CID=26,
In terms of the conventions, for the most part, it doesn't seem like the conventions necessarily increase crowds in the parks. Large conventions are more likely to impacts availability at area hotels/motels and crowds in DTD (primarily in the evenings). There maybe some impacts of the days immediately before or after the conventions, but only a few conventions seem to actually result in Dis'ers reporting higher than expected crowds in the parks themselves. So, while large (or at least ones that look large on the calendar) conventions are listed in the calendar above, it does not mean that the parks will be busier than expected.

The Honda Center may also host events that could impact crowds at Disneyland.
http://www.hondacenter.com/events/

Tom Bell maintains a list of Disneyland Events on wdwinfo.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/events.html

There are a number of unofficial park days that happen throughout the year. Some are fairly large and can impact park crowds (e.g., Gay Days), while others (most) are fairly small and most guests won't notice that they are occurring.
http://unofficialparkdays.com/calendar/

*Starred events have historically began/occurred in that month, but the dates for 2020 have not yet been announced.

Attachments

• 1609570629950.png
    1609570629950.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Holiday Overlay Removal Closures, 2020
01/07-01/17 (Mon-Thu): It's a Small World Closed for Removal of Holiday Overlay
01/21-TBD (Tue-TBD): Haunted Mansion Holiday Closed for Removal of Holiday Overlay (Plus an Extended Refurbishment)

Holiday Overlay Installation Closures, 2020
mm/dd (): Space Mountain Closed to Install Ghost Galaxy Overlay
mm/dd-mm/dd (ddd-ddd): Haunted Mansion Closed to Install Holiday Overlay
mm/dd-mm/dd (ddd-ddd): It's a Small World Closed to Install Holiday Overlay

Oogie Boogie Bash in DCA, 2020
Party dates were announced on <forthcoming> via the <source>. Tickets go on sale to DLR Annual Passholders, DVC, and Disney Rewards Visa Card Holders (phone only) on <date> and to the general public on <date>. The dates when the MHP tickets sold out in past were tracked in these posts for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Pricing is listed as (Discount/Regular) Price.
mmm dd (ddd) ($/$)

Note that costume guidelines changed for 2016. The new guidelines can be viewed on the OBB page of the Disneyland.com website.

Disclaimer: Even if the date is listed as sold out online, it is possible that tickets may still be available via the phone or in person at the ticket booths (this occurred in the past, but it is not known if it'll happen again in 2018). A limited number of tickets may also be available for "day of" purchase for onsite hotel guests, but it is not known if that will be the case again this year. It also looks like they stop selling tickets to MHP online on the day of the event (it is unknown if that will be the same for OBB). So if you want to purchase tickets online, be sure to buy them at least one day in advance.

Sneak Peaks at DCA (Bug's Life Theater) and DL (Tomorrowland Theater), 2020
DLR uses the Tomorrowland Theater (DL) and Bug's Life Theater (DCA-BLT) or Sunset Showcase Theater (DCA-SST) to preview upcoming movies.
mmm dd-mmm dd: Title (Theater) [Movie Opening: mmm dd] (AP Preview: mm dd)

Last edited:
B]School Breaks[/B]
Below are a listing of some of the school breaks for select school districts. Some school districts have more than one schedule; when this occurred, I generally used the dates for the "Traditional" track (rather than "Year Around", "Modified", etc.). Also, note that school districts typically list days when school is not in session, which means the listed breaks may not include the weekend day.

As with the 2019 calendar, I'm going to focus on a handful of the big Southern California districts and few other districts and then more generalized information for the rest. If you really want your local district included, please send me a link to their calendar.

January 2020
  • Jan 5: Last Day for Winter Break for Most School Districts
  • Jan 20: MLK (Most School Districts)
February 2020
  • Feb 12: Lincoln Day/Family Day
  • Feb 17: President's Day (Most School Districts)
March 2020
The majority of the reported spring breaks occur between mid-March and mid-April.
  • Mar 31: Cesar Chavez
April 2020
  • Apr 12 (Sun): Easter
May 2020
  • May 25 Memorial Day (Most School Districts)
June 2020
The majority of the reported end of the school year start in early-to-mid June.
  • <TBD>
July 2020
  • July 4: Fourth of July (Most School Districts That Are on Year Around Schedules)
August 2020
  • <TBD>
September 2020
  • Sep 7: Labor Day (Most School Districts)
October 2020
  • Oct 12: Columbus Day
  • Oct 30: Nevada Day
November 2020
  • Nov 11: Veterans Day (Observed) (Most School Districts)
  • Nov 26-27: Thanksgiving Break (Most School Districts)
December 2020
The majority of winter breaks start <when> and go through the <when>.
  • Dec 25: Christmas (Most School Districts)
School District Calendars by District and State
Please note that not all school districts publish their calendars beyond the current school year.

California
Arizona
Nevada
Utah
Oregon
Washington
British Columbia
Alaska

Last edited:

Hot off the presses! CHOC Walk Sunday 2020 will be September 13th! This is a big move from what had been the expected August date. This will be the 30th anniversary for CHOC Walk, so probably a bigger event than usual.

Hot off the presses! CHOC Walk Sunday 2020 will be September 13th! This is a big move from what had been the expected August date. This will be the 30th anniversary for CHOC Walk, so probably a bigger event than usual.
Thanks for the update! I've been holding off on finalizing an August trip, because I was waiting for the CHOC Walk date.

We are going October 21-27. Hoping that’s later to avoid fall breaks. We’ve never been in the parks during lower crowds. I would be nice to see!

CRAP. Sept 13 is our last day. How will this affect us? I don't know anything about CHOC walk.

CRAP. Sept 13 is our last day. How will this affect us? I don't know anything about CHOC walk.
Do a search on this board to find out more about this annual event. There are lots of threads with information. And look on the chocwalk.org site to find out why Disneyland supports this fantastic cause.

Do a search on this board to find out more about this annual event. There are lots of threads with information. And look on the chocwalk.org site to find out why Disneyland supports this fantastic cause.
Thanks. I totally thought it was like Festival of the Arts at WDW. I read CHOC as Chalk 😂 Now that I know what it is, I'm going to see if any of the family wants to do it.

Thanks. I totally thought it was like Festival of the Arts at WDW. I read CHOC as Chalk 😂 Now that I know what it is, I'm going to see if any of the family wants to do it.
If they are interested, go for it! CHOC Walk is such a fun, inspiring event! It is the largest fundraiser of its kind in the nation, and such fun for a great cause. And Walk participants get a nice discount on tickets (to be purchased on the day of the Walk only).

Arizona State Spring break is March 7-15 also. if I remember correctly it tends to follow the school districts' spring breaks.

Anyone know what’s up the first week of June? My friend wants to book June 2-4 and the DLH is not available. It looks like the problem is Wednesday June 3. So weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!