2020: Time to see the West Coast (but still find time to go to Orlando too)! complete 10/22

It was definitely an interesting plane ride. There was a wide range of compliance with masks including the man sitting behind us who appointed himself the mask police and spent the entire flight telling the flight attendants whose masks he didn't think were appropriate!
:sad2:
Thank you all! 🥰 🥰 It was a different trip in so many ways, both expected and unexpected but we are both glad we went and had a great time!
Welcome back!

We are back!

It was such a different trip for so many reasons. I very quickly learned that my "go-go-go" touring style is NOT compatible with being pregnant lol. We slowed the pace down and had a very relaxed, go with the flow trip.

It's gonna take forever for me to get to the trip report since I'm nowhere near done with my last 2 reports so I thought I'd share some of our thoughts/tips/experiences while they're relevant and helpful.

We felt just as safe traveling as we do going anywhere at home. Universal and Disney both seemed to be taking the safety precautions very seriously. The rest of Florida- not so much. It seemed to be hit or miss which stores actually enforced masks and social distancing. Before the trip, I had a list of things I wanted to do in the Orlando area out of the theme parks especially eating at some off-property restaurants for Magical Dining but ended up scrapping those plans because I just wasn't comfortable.

Universal

This was our first on-site stay at Universal and definitely not our last! We fell in love with Cabana Bay and we felt Universal had a better system than Disney as far as cleaning/temperature checks/social distancing.

Your temperature is checked at the entrance to the on-site hotels and then you're given a wristband for that day and don't need to get it checked again that day. Disney didn't check our temperatures until arriving at the parks (except at the monorail resorts before boarding) which seems odd to me because if someone has a fever at the resort, now they've gone the whole bus ride to the park entrance undetected. I also wonder what the procedure is at that point to get them back to their resort?

The TMs also made people use hand sanitizer prior to boarding attractions whereas Disney had the dispensers available but it was on the guest to choose to use it.

Overall, we were very impressed with the TMs at Universal. They were actively enforcing masks and distancing and cleaning constantly. In one of the bathrooms, the TM was standing there waiting for people to finish in the stalls to clean them immediately- and this was on labor day weekend when the parks hit capacity!

We got lucky enough to attend the testing weekend of the 2 HHN houses before our flight home. This was only our 2nd experience using the virtual queue system at Universal. Unlike Disney, it isn't linked to park tickets so basically each person in your party can make a separate virtual queue reservation and have multiple. So Mike and I were each able to snag a reservation for the Tooth Fairy house from 9:30-10 am and you're allowed two each at a time so I was able to go back in and get a time for the Bride of Frankenstein house. It worked out well for us but just thinking about it- each person can reserve a time for up to 8 people. If you have 8 people in your party and each downloads the Universal app, each of you can have a reservation for the entire party. Nice for those who get them- not so nice for people trying to get a time who can't.

Disney

We did see a lot of cleaning in places we never noticed before.

The two biggest observations I had at Disney were regarding food and transportation to the parks.

A lot of places- table service, quick service and snack stands were closed. We generally have at least one table service reservation a day and were grateful to have them this trip as it seemed harder to grab last minute reservations- especially for resort restaurants and Disney Springs for dinner with the parks closing early. Mobile ordering was essentially required for quick service restaurants. Some of the menus were very limited, especially in the Pop Century food court which was disappointing.

Since we had a rental car, we went back and forth on the best way to get to the parks each day. We ended up driving most of the time but found that Disney wasn't allowing people to enter the parking lots early. Previously, we found you could get to the parking lot at any time and if it was too early, you just drove in. Now, there's security and sheriffs preventing you from entering until the time Disney designates. The biggest problem we found was at Hollywood Studios where cars were waiting on the shoulder and the sheriff was basically yelling at people to move. Not how I like to start my mornings usually!

Lastly, this may be an unpopular opinion but we missed FP+! Weekdays were certainly less crowded than weekends and lines were generally manageable but we are spoiled with FP+ and almost never wait in standby lines lol. It wasn't a huge deal to us since I can't ride any of the "big" rides right now anyway but I'm used to just refreshing for a FP for what we want to ride and not worrying about the wait time so it was a little weird lol.

But, overall, we had a magical (yet emotional) trip and can't wait to take our son in February and share all the things we love with him (even though he really won't even know what's happening lol)

robert allan ears.jpg

I very quickly learned that my "go-go-go" touring style is NOT compatible with being pregnant lol.
:laughing: Gee! What a surprise! :)
Universal and Disney both seemed to be taking the safety precautions very seriously.
Good to hear. ::yes::
The rest of Florida- not so much. It seemed to be hit or miss which stores actually enforced masks and social distancing.
:sad2: Sure, because Florida hasn't really had any cases of Covid, right?

:rolleyes:
I had a list of things I wanted to do in the Orlando area out of the theme parks especially eating at some off-property restaurants for Magical Dining but ended up scrapping those plans because I just wasn't comfortable.
:( Yeah... I get that. Don't observe social distancing and mask rules and then don't be surprised when you (or I) don't go.
we felt Universal had a better system than Disney as far as cleaning/temperature checks/social distancing.
Really! Huh!
if someone has a fever at the resort, now they've gone the whole bus ride to the park entrance undetected. I also wonder what the procedure is at that point to get them back to their resort?
And do they do contact tracing on everyone else that was on the bus with them? I think not.
A lot of places- table service, quick service and snack stands were closed.
That must've been jarring to see.
Some of the menus were very limited, especially in the Pop Century food court which was disappointing.
:(
Now, there's security and sheriffs preventing you from entering until the time Disney designates.
Huh. Didn't expect that.
The biggest problem we found was at Hollywood Studios where cars were waiting on the shoulder and the sheriff was basically yelling at people to move. Not how I like to start my mornings usually!
:sad2:
But, overall, we had a magical (yet emotional) trip
Good! And... :hug:
can't wait to take our son in February and share all the things we love with him (even though he really won't even know what's happening lol)
But you will!

It's interesting to hear your thoughts! It sounds like Universal really is doing great through all this. It's unfortunate that other parts of FL aren't as serious about it though!

I'm glad it was still magical for you guys! And I hope seeing Mike's family was nice :hug:

Welcome back!!!! Thanks for the update on how Universal is doing... I think this trip will be a Universal trip since it's a shorter trip, only 4 days, vs the normal 7 days... My husband isn't too excited about Universal, but I am and so is our 12yo son... Maybe after I read him your update, he'll be a little more excited...

And your son will love Disney, it's in his DNA!!! pixiedust:

Thanks for the information on WDW and Universal!
I’m glad you got back to enjoy the parks before your little bundle of joy arrives and occupies all of your time. 👶

But, overall, we had a magical (yet emotional) trip and can't wait to take our son in February and share all the things we love with him (even though he really won't even know what's happening lol)

That's awesome! I'm glad you were able to sneak in some relaxing time before the baby. Maybe we'll see you there in February 🙏

Welcome back!!!!!!! Even if this vacation was nothing close to normal, so happy you all got to enjoy some time in your favorite place before the baby comes.

Glad you had an enjoyable trip! Welcome back, will look forward to hearing about it after you finish up the the two TR you’re currently chipping away at!

Thanks for sharing your observations! I like the wristband system Universal is using, and I definitely appreciate them making guests use hand sanitizer before entering a ride. It's those little things that just up the safety.
Going to Disney pregnant is definitely a unique experience. I'm glad you were able to slow down, and how sweet is that Mickey ear picture! Of course, I guess the little one will be here in just a few months. How exciting!

:laughing: Gee! What a surprise! :)

Weird I know!

:sad2: Sure, because Florida hasn't really had any cases of Covid, right?

None that I've heard of :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

:( Yeah... I get that. Don't observe social distancing and mask rules and then don't be surprised when you (or I) don't go.

Exactly! The rules are just not that hard.

And do they do contact tracing on everyone else that was on the bus with them? I think not.

I doubt it! I mean, ideally with masks and social distancing, the risk of transmission even if someone does have it is low but who really wants to take that chance if it can be avoided?

It's interesting to hear your thoughts! It sounds like Universal really is doing great through all this. It's unfortunate that other parts of FL aren't as serious about it though!

It was crazy to me how relaxed people were outside of the parks - and most of the people not wearing masks were older people who would be at a higher risk of getting sickest :confused3 :confused3

None that I've heard of :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1
Exactly! The rules are just not that hard.
Nope!
I doubt it! I mean, ideally with masks and social distancing, the risk of transmission even if someone does have it is low but who really wants to take that chance if it can be avoided?
Right. I mean, even if you're healthy and aren't likely to have complications..... do you really want to risk it anyway?
Kinda like, the flu probably won't kill you, but do you want it?

Welcome back!!!! Thanks for the update on how Universal is doing... I think this trip will be a Universal trip since it's a shorter trip, only 4 days, vs the normal 7 days... My husband isn't too excited about Universal, but I am and so is our 12yo son... Maybe after I read him your update, he'll be a little more excited...

And your son will love Disney, it's in his DNA!!! pixiedust:

We love Universal as much as we love Disney! The more time we spend at Universal, the more we discover the magic hidden in their parks too.

Thanks for the information on WDW and Universal!
I’m glad you got back to enjoy the parks before your little bundle of joy arrives and occupies all of your time. 👶

Thank you! I'm glad we did too. I'm excited to take him to the parks but it was nice to have one last trip with just us.

Thanks for sharing your observations! I like the wristband system Universal is using, and I definitely appreciate them making guests use hand sanitizer before entering a ride. It's those little things that just up the safety.
Going to Disney pregnant is definitely a unique experience. I'm glad you were able to slow down, and how sweet is that Mickey ear picture! Of course, I guess the little one will be here in just a few months. How exciting!

Universal definitely impressed us with all the precautions they were taking! We never felt unsafe.

I know- my due date is in 8 weeks and I'm excited and scared at the same time!

Thanks everyone for following along with this PTR as we planned, unplanned and replanned 2020 and for all the kind words along the way.

Since 2020 is (finally) drawing to a close, I've decided to mark this PTR complete and start fresh with 2021 plans which you can find here:

Expect the Unexpected: A 2021 PTR

I hope you'll join me there as we embark on a new journey of trips with a baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!