2020: Time to see the West Coast (but still find time to go to Orlando too)! complete 10/22

Well it took a global pandemic to get me to the PTR boards, but I'm now here :D

Welcome lol! I'm glad you're over here even though it took a quarantine.

So sorry everything is in such flux because you deserve a vacation more than anyone else right about now!!!!

Aw thank you :love: . I can't wait until we can all plan/take vacations again. They're gonna feel amazing I'm sure!

We were actually supposed to be in Disneyland this week and I had to laugh as your original thoughts were exactly what we were going to do. We were flying to Phoenix, doing Grand Canyon, then Vegas and finally DL!!!! Still hoping we can do it in August but I'm going to wait a while before we book anything. Hoping that things start to reopen and more importantly Disney drops some serious discounts.

Oo see great minds think alike. i'm sorry that you had to miss you trip and hope that you can reschedule it. Serious discounts sound amazing!

When you do go to Cirque big thumbs up on the front row. Jason and I did Love in Vegas that way a few years back and its an amazing experience to be that close and see a lot of the mechanics as well

Oo that's awesome. That's one thing I want to do when I fianlly get to Vegas- see some of the Cirque shows there! We took my mom and grandma to one here as a Christmas gift a few years ago and sat front row and it was great.

California Flights

I don't have much to add in the way of planning because, well, corona.

Mike and I are both still working like looneybirds and there's very few hours when we're both home and awake at the same time. Thankfully we are both still healthy currently and keeping our spirits as positive as possible.

The support of the community has been nothing short of amazing during this time. Every day when I go to work we are being showered with food deliveries and displays of appreciation. :hug:

Even though I'm 99.9999% sure our May WDW trip is a no go, I'm not canceling it until absolutely necessary.

I did cancel our flights for May through United and used the credit to book our California flights for September since they were basically the same price as the flights were originally booked to Orlando. So I consider that a major win! Plus, they're at the times and airports that I prefer so it worked out perfectly.

And airfare to Orlando is dirt cheap right now so if we end up actually getting to go in May, i'll rebook flights and save money in the end.

We're flying into San Diego on 9/6 leaving at 7:54 AM our time and landing at 10:37 AM California time.

Flying home, we're doing our first ever red-eye flight lol! Leaving out of SNA at 9:05 PM Cali time and we'll land here at 5 AM our time. :scared::scared::scared:

I've heard flying from SNA is less chaotic than LAX and since it's late at night, hopefully traffic won't be a horrible contender. And we'll also hopefully be exhausted and just pass out on the plane lol.

I'm spending my (limited) free time soaking up Disneyland info, so if you have a Disneyland TR- let me know here!

That's one thing I want to do when I fianlly get to Vegas- see some of the Cirque shows there! We took my mom and grandma to one here as a Christmas gift a few years ago and sat front row and it was great.
Sounds like a great plan. We've seen 2 as they came through DC which was great but they don't hold a handle to the Vegas shows and probably Orlando too (though we've never seen it). When they have permanent space they can do so much more. We've seen a few in Vegas, but Love and O are our favorites. Whenever we can do our Grand Canyon/Vegas/Disneyland trip we'll be seeing Love again as Casey is a huge Beatles fan so we know she'll love it!

Ok having to do 2 posts because you were posting as I was typing :D

did cancel our flights for May through United and used the credit to book our California flights for September since they were basically the same price as the flights were originally booked to Orlando. So I consider that a major win! Plus, they're at the times and airports that I prefer so it worked out perfectly.
Definite win. I know some people want refunds but I really do think the airlines are being pretty generous with their credits now. One of the airlines we had booked for actually offered us $50 vouchers a person on top of the credit

I've heard flying from SNA is less chaotic than LAX and since it's late at night, hopefully traffic won't be a horrible contender. And we'll also hopefully be exhausted and just pass out on the plane lol.
That is definitely the way to go. We've been out there a few times (though not in a while) and LAX should be avoided at all costs. Orange County or Long Beach are great options

I don't have much to add in the way of planning because, well, corona.
Love that song. By The Knack.

Wait... that's Sharona… nevermind.
Mike and I are both still working like looneybirds and there's very few hours when we're both home and awake at the same time.
Wow!
Every day when I go to work we are being showered with food deliveries and displays of appreciation.
That's great! I don't understand how in other places, medical personnel are getting attacked.
Even though I'm 99.9999% sure our May WDW trip is a no go, I'm not canceling it until absolutely necessary.
Doing the same with our June trip.
I did cancel our flights for May through United and used the credit to book our California flights for September since they were basically the same price as the flights were originally booked to Orlando. So I consider that a major win!
Good!
Flying home, we're doing our first ever red-eye flight lol! Leaving out of SNA at 9:05 PM Cali time and we'll land here at 5 AM our time. :scared::scared::scared:
Yikes!

I kept meaning to jump on here and now, well, time is on my side..........................
My DD and I are planning on our first DL trip next summer and I figured while I'm home quarantined, I might as well start some research.
Yay you got someone to agree to go lol! I just keep sighing every once in awhile around everyone and saying" I really want to go to DL".....
(I heard he came back from a meditation retreat this week and was confused to hear there was a global pandemic).
What?? crazy and funny and :confused3
I know it will be hot and crazy crowded but I've wanted to go for the 4th for a while and now seems like the perfect time.
First of all so excited we'll be there the same time! So last year really wasn't bad crowd-wise and we were there the 3-8th. Other than MK on the actual 4th we didn't feel bothered by crowds at all. I tend to feel this year won't be much more crowded? Of course it depends when they reopen but still, I don't think it'll be bad :D

7/6: AK

7/7: HS/Epcot split

7/8: open morning/ fly home
OK we don't line up the 4th or 5th and we arrive late on the 3rd so I need to check my plans and see if we line up these days!
The support of the community has been nothing short of amazing during this time. Every day when I go to work we are being showered with food deliveries and displays of appreciation. :hug:

:thumbsup2 right there with you xoxo
Love that song. By The Knack.

Wait... that's Sharona… nevermind.
Ooh so, so close :cool1:

While I've never done a red eye across the U.S., all of my international flights to Europe have been overnight, and I feel like they are easier on my body. I nap on the plane and then just power through that day. Hopefully it works out the same for you!

New Plans!

Anyone remember me :rolleyes1

Obviously a lot has changed since my last update here, both for me personally and for all of us in this crazy world.

1. We've learned there's a hitchhiker making his way into our little family in December.

110080858_10217269606916983_5540361930536055115_n.jpg

There's his newest ultrasound. I haven't had the best time being pregnant which accounts for a lot of my absence from the boards. I was vomiting for most of the first 14 weeks and even found myself a patient in my own ER one day as I apparently passed out in the bathroom and didn't know it until Mike came home from work (thankfully everything was ok minus the dehydration).

Thankfully that's resolved in the last few weeks and I'm trying to eat and hydrate well now. My new issue is charlie horses that wake me up nightly and leave my calves in terrible pain the next day. Someone let me know when the wonderful part of pregnancy starts?

2. COVID has stuck around with a vengeance, and although minuscule compared to the loss of lives, has clearly affected travel plans.

So, since you once came here for a PTR report, you may be wondering the status of those planned trips.

You and me both.

Jk... kinda.:confused3

The May and July trips didn't happen.

We were actually still planning to go down to Florida for the 4th until the week before. We were planning some Universal time, beach time and to visit Mike's family but as you probably know, Florida is experiencing a spike in cases at this time and we decided it simply wasn't worth the risk.

Instead, we took a trip to my parents' house in the country and spent the time relaxing in nature, complete with our own semi-legal personal fireworks show.

75266103_10217179401981916_8170819734543890450_o.jpg
106200351_10217203980556365_85542735256996073_o.jpg
106480534_10217206122049901_6806298491474454849_n.jpg
107697016_10217219563945940_8374707385474945120_o.jpg

So....what's next?

giphy.gif

Our plan for the Fall had been 2 weeks in California in September and our annual WDW trip over Halloween.

Neither of those trips are going to happen.

We toyed with keeping the Cali trip but with so much uncertainty, I have reservations about being across the country. If we're going to travel anywhere, I'd like to be able to be in a reasonable driving distance from home.

And the Halloween trip is just too late in the pregnancy.

giphy.gif

We're tentatively planning to travel to Florida in September when we'd originally planned for Cali. Obviously this is subject to how things progress in the next month and there's a very good chance it will be cancelled.

If so, we'll just look ahead to 2021!

Baby's first Disney trip is planned for February 2021 which I know will get criticized by some but rest assured, we will not do anything without baby's safety as our first priority. It will be a driving trip, primarily to introduce him to Mike's family, coupled with a few days at WDW.

Otherwise, we're hoping to take our Cali trip in September 2021 and then a short WDW trip in October for the 50th!

If you made it through all those words, thank you and I'm impressed! Hopefully I'll be back sooner rather than later with some more concrete plans but in the meantime, I'm going to attempt to make more progress on the 2 trip reports I'm very slowly writing!

I was vomiting for most of the first 14 weeks and even found myself a patient in my own ER one day as I apparently passed out in the bathroom and didn't know it until Mike came home from work (thankfully everything was ok minus the dehydration).

That's scary! Thank God you and the baby were ok!

Someone let me know when the wonderful part of pregnancy starts?

Soon! Once you start feeling that baby kicking, it's magical ❤ Oh, and then it gets really hard again in the last tri-mester, so hang in there!

Instead, we took a trip to my parents' house in the country and spent the time relaxing in nature, complete with our own semi-legal personal fireworks show.

75266103_10217179401981916_8170819734543890450_o.jpg

That looks beautiful.

Baby's first Disney trip is planned for February 2021 which I know will get criticized by some but rest assured, we will not do anything without baby's safety as our first priority. It will be a driving trip, primarily to introduce him to Mike's family, coupled with a few days at WDW.

Yay! That sounds fun!

a short WDW trip in October for the 50th!

I'll see you there!

I'm sorry you've had a rough start to your pregnancy! So scary ending up in the ER but I'm glad you're doing ok!

And I'm sorry none of your trips panned out! But maybe you will get to squeeze in that September trip, fingers crossed! But otherwise some exciting plans to look forward to in 2021 with baby along too!

Congrats again! YAHOO! I am so sorry you are having a rough go of it... i cant tell you when the good part starts... but i can say not everyone likes pregnancy, so maybe you are just one of those?

Either way i know its so hard to not have trips for sure coming up! Hopefully you get some Sept time in and if not Feb will be amazing! No judgment here, i think travel when babies are on boob or formula and can be worn are the easiest... so you go girl!!

Cali in Sept 2021 will also be amazing!!!

We've learned there's a hitchhiker making his way into our little family in December.
What? How did he get there????

:rolleyes:
I haven't had the best time being pregnant which accounts for a lot of my absence from the boards.
:hug:
I apparently passed out in the bathroom and didn't know it until Mike came home from work (thankfully everything was ok minus the dehydration).
:scared1: Holy smokes! Glad you (both) are okay!!
Oh, sure! I can help you with that.
It starts right after they graduate college and move out.

You're welcome.
Near Albany. I had to look. For a second I thought you were in the mid-west.
If so, we'll just look ahead to 2021!
Like a lot of people!
Baby's first Disney trip is planned for February 2021
:goodvibes
which I know will get criticized by some
Not by me. And not by anyone who should know to mind their own business. :snooty:
If you made it through all those words, thank you and I'm impressed!
:laughing:

Sounds like great plans!!! And no criticism from me... We flew to Padre Island when my youngest was 4 months old, and then we walked across the border into Mexico to shop and eat lunch... Yes, this was 12 years ago when things were better than they are now, but we still did it...

Again saying: so excited for you with the newest addition to your family!!

Hanging around to see what ends up happening. I'm also in a weird "wait and see" pattern with all my travel (Costa Rica in October?? Maybe that's a pipe dream... but we canceled March so...).

Anyone remember me :rolleyes1
♥ Between work and pregnancy I really don't know how you find the time to be on here at all but so good to "see" you

I haven't had the best time being pregnant which accounts for a lot of my absence from the boards. I was vomiting for most of the first 14 weeks and even found myself a patient in my own ER one day as I apparently passed out in the bathroom and didn't know it until Mike came home from work (thankfully everything was ok minus the dehydration).
Ugh. Hang in there. I was the same way with Casey. Only thing that saved me was the worst of "morning" sickness came at night so I could power through work most of the time. Glad to hear that part is over though.

Never. It sucks. There is a baby growing inside of you. How that is ever wonderful I never experienced

Gorgeous! Where is this?

We toyed with keeping the Cali trip but with so much uncertainty, I have reservations about being across the country. If we're going to travel anywhere, I'd like to be able to be in a reasonable driving distance from home.

And the Halloween trip is just too late in the pregnancy.
Sounds like you all are making the right decisions, but sad we'll miss you for Halloween.

Glad you are starting to feel better somewhat!
I had morning sickness really bad with Andi, I was miserable for at least 14 weeks. I was better for a little while except I developed the worst heartburn. I had really never had that before oh the joys! So worth when you see the sweet little babe!!
Is it safe to drink Club soda? Maybe the quinine in it would help the Charlie horses. Eat a banana before bed and a glass of club soda.

Disney will be so fun with the little guy, you will experience many new things.
It is hard to cancel trips but during these times I think it is the right thing to do.

Although the "PTR" aspect may no longer be applicable, I wanted to make sure I stayed up-to-date with everything so I'm joining in!

One potential reliever for your Charlie Horses - try eating a spoonful of regular yellow mustard. I believe you take it when you have symptoms, but perhaps it's preventative as well. I don't know if it's a hack or an old wives tale, but my mom has found some relief from them with that tip. Plus, it's safe during pregnancy!

I think Florida is a mess right now (along with so much of the rest of the country), so I think you made the right call on staying close to home. Even more so considering the potential higher risks for pregnant women and their babies. There will be plenty of time to travel in the future (even if your future trips look a little different!). Whether it's next February or later, I look forward to hearing about your first family trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter