2020 Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

Hoping with all hope they are overboard on these predictions. We had a solid hour of tornado warnings here this afternoon. It’s draining. Gonna be a long night.
I was wondering how BR area was doing. We aren’t getting much, but we are more east than y’all. I remember Rita was worse than Katrina for us in Gonzales back then. I hope y’all stay safe & damage is minimal.

Well I stayed up until landfall then crashed at about 2am. Slept through until the thunder woke me up at 8.

No more warnings here so far. Fingers crossed.

LC didn't have the storm surge predicted, but the wind damage is insane from what we've seen so far.

Laura could be a cat 1 going into ARKANSAS. It's madness.

Thanks to everyone for keeping SWLA in your thoughts! Just a quick message on a message board can make things brighter. :)

I've seen this far too many times where those early predictions of a lower category storm ramps up within days of landfall. I know it's not an exact science, but it seems to me lately that we should be bumping up 1-2 levels of a prediction that is a few days out.

Hope folks in SW LA are safe. I've been to Lafayette (for my college visit years ago) and think they may have been hit hard too.

I've seen this far too many times where those early predictions of a lower category storm ramps up within days of landfall. I know it's not an exact science, but it seems to me lately that we should be bumping up 1-2 levels of a prediction that is a few days out.

Hope folks in SW LA are safe. I've been to Lafayette (for my college visit years ago) and think they may have been hit hard too.

We have family and friends in Lafayette and so far, so good. Most of the images I am seeing right now are from LC. I'm sure Laffy took some on the chin, though.

Well a lot of it has to do with land interaction and wind sheering. Laura was originally supposed to go over a lot of the Caribbean islands, and pretty much get destroyed and become a weak storm, if it even survived. It pretty much missed everything. Then add the troughs/sheer that was supposed to come in and help prevent it from intensifying. But that didn't happen either.

Well I stayed up until landfall then crashed at about 2am. Slept through until the thunder woke me up at 8.

No more warnings here so far. Fingers crossed.

LC didn't have the storm surge predicted, but the wind damage is insane from what we've seen so far.

Laura could be a cat 1 going into ARKANSAS. It's madness.

Thanks to everyone for keeping SWLA in your thoughts! Just a quick message on a message board can make things brighter. :)
That’s good about the storm surge though. I just saw it’s pretty much covering the whole state at this point. Crazy.

Well a lot of it has to do with land interaction and wind sheering. Laura was originally supposed to go over a lot of the Caribbean islands, and pretty much get destroyed and become a weak storm, if it even survived. It pretty much missed everything. Then add the troughs/sheer that was supposed to come in and help prevent it from intensifying. But that didn't happen either.

I understand the dynamics of the storms and land interactions. My point is that of late there appears to be more storms that are navigating the land obstacle courses and become much more violent.

Yep and it's not good.

I'm so grateful that Marco turned into nothing. We could be in even worse trouble right now.

I wonder if it's because some of these storms, though unorganized, could be larger in diameter from years/decades ago and "survive" the land/sheer interactions. Because of their increased size, they quickly reorganize in open, warm/hot water and ramp up so quickly. It's pure speculation on my part.

I've been to Lafayette (for my college visit years ago) and think they may have been hit hard too.
My wife is from Lafayette and still has family there. She spoke to her brother a few minutes ago and he never lost power. However, several of his friends did so there was some damage but not too bad.

@SaintsManiac, I saw a live feed from a helicopter over LC. Hope your parents were able to get glimpse of their house or neighborhood and see it’s okay. I’m always happy when damage is not as bad as feared.

It's pretty impressive to have it nailed that far out. Hurricane projections have come a long way in the last 10 years.

My favorite local meteorologist was going off on people in a Facebook live video because they kept whining about how forecasts are never correct. It's such a difficult science to predict and then you have people's safety on the line. It's crazy how they nailed this one. Days before Laura entered the Gulf I saw someone say it would reach cat 4 and everyone thought they were crazy. Well she did it.

The destruction in Lake Charles is devastating. No electricity for weeks. No running water. Ugh. It's worse than Rita.

My favorite local meteorologist was going off on people in a Facebook live video because they kept whining about how forecasts are never correct. It's such a difficult science to predict and then you have people's safety on the line. It's crazy how they nailed this one. Days before Laura entered the Gulf I saw someone say it would reach cat 4 and everyone thought they were crazy. Well she did it.

The destruction in Lake Charles is devastating. No electricity for weeks. No running water. Ugh. It's worse than Rita.

It's pretty tired trope

"hurr durr MeTeOrOlOGisT SuCk At ThEiR JoB"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter