2021 Disney Vacation Club Member Cruise to the Western Caribbean! June 12, 2021!

I will put on the DVC BOARD a link to this discussion in case there are others.

Here is the result of my statement research and convo this morning with Chase -

Looked at my prior MC charges going back to 2014. On the statements for 2014-2019, the DVC MC charge shows DVC with a 407 area code phone number. The 2020 DVC MC charge shows with an 800 area code phone #. The charges were all categorized as Travel, so maybe there is something internal to Chase to see them differently as Chase is saying.

Called Chase to ask for specific detailed info on how the charges look on their side, what is different between the 2019 charge and the 2020 charge. I need that detail to go back to DVC.

Chase explains each charge has a Merchant Category Code which determines how Chase sees the charge and whether the charge will qualify for the 0%. I asked for the different category codes on the 2019 and 2020 charges, to take back to DVC as DVC said the charges had been keyed the same on their side (thanks @bobbiwoz for that info!).

Chase looks up the merchant category codes, and finds that those codes are the same code for both the 2019 charge and the 2020 charge. And she says category code is valid for the 0% promo in 2020. So, the charge should have been categorized under the 0%. And she can’t figure out why it didn’t process to the 0%. She has opened an escalation ticket on their side to research why a charge with a 0% promo-eligible merchant category code was not processed with the 0% promo on their side.

Stay tuned....
That sounds promising!!

I’m not having much luck either, but I’m also not giving up quite yet.

-put some notes from my call with the rep who found the similar merchant code & said it qualifies into a secure message response so it would be documented in my string of communications with Chase and not just in their system

-a manager in the email response team responded yesterday, the next day, and said sorry but there’s more to it: while the basic merchant code is the same for the 2019 and 2020 charges, there are other components to the code which are different and causing the 2020 charge to not come through as 0% promo eligible. Disney has to refund the charge and then rebill it correctly in order to receive the 0% promo as Chase will not correct merchant transaction coding. I also noticed that this same person responded once previously with the first denial but did not identify herself as a manager until this latest response. She also said it had been escalated as high as possible within the email response team. I also noticed she did not reference the ticket the call rep said would be opened.

I wrote back, explaining that Chase was the only one who would help at this point. Chase said Disney charge came through incorrectly and Disney says they charged the same as they always have, so asking Disney to refund and rebill would not correct anything. I needed more detail from Chase on the merchant coding differences to take back to Disney so Disney could research, and asked Chase to send that detail to me.

No response yet to that request, but today I get a form letter not in secure messages but in another area of the online accounts saying they are working on my inquiry. I don’t know if this is a result of the escalation ticket the call rep opened or the response & request I sent today.

I just received a survey from Chase regarding the response messages I have received after my initial inquiry. I can't say my ratings were very favorable since all they did was continue to point me to the Rewards site without including an explanation of why the charge does not qualify for the 0% interest offer.

Not so good news - I’ve run into a wall with Chase. As I am not the merchant, they are not able to share specific coding details with me. They did provide some general info on the codes that do not match up correctly.

Since this now needs Disney IT to research further, I’ve sent everything I have to Terri at DVC both for her awareness and to pass along to whichever area at Disney can research on the DVC side. I did mention to Terri that I’m not the only member in this situation.

Tom will be sending an email to Terri that’s similar to what he sent to Chase.

Ok...We have been in touch with DVC and with Chase, and as of now, the issue has not been resolved.

The latest call from Chase asked for a copy of the letter I got stating that the purchase was not eligible for the promotion. The person assured me that he could find no correspondence other than the postcard in which they said they were looking into it. He does not think we should have gotten that letter. We sent him a copy.

We expect to hear from him again.

I Just received a phone call from DVC and they said Chase is going to retroactively apply the 0% interest offer to my charge. I asked if this applied to all members who charged this cruise to their Chase card but she said she cannot comment on other memberships. I also asked if she could send me something in writing so I would have it to refer to in case I didn't see it, but she said they do not have external e-mail access (Really? But Terri Shultz does?) but it is noted on my account. Guess I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted.

I Just received a phone call from DVC and they said Chase is going to retroactively apply the 0% interest offer to my charge. I asked if this applied to all members who charged this cruise to their Chase card but she said she cannot comment on other memberships. I also asked if she could send me something in writing so I would have it to refer to in case I didn't see it, but she said they do not have external e-mail access (Really? But Terri Shultz does?) but it is noted on my account. Guess I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted.
Nice to hear you have resolution for your charge. I’m hoping for the same. Re the external email - that makes sense, probably best so things don’t sit in someone’s personal email box. Using a generic Member Services email, it is accessible to many at DVC. I’m wondering why she didn’t email you that way.

EDIT/Update - I just got the same call and message from DVC, she said it could take a few weeks to be reflected on my Chase account. Any questions re how much to pay for an interest saving balance amount need to be directed to Chase,

Last edited:
Nice to hear you have resolution for your charge. I’m hoping for the same. Re the external email - that makes sense, probably best so things don’t sit in someone’s personal email box. Using a generic Member Services email, it is accessible to many at DVC. I’m wondering why she didn’t email you that way.
I won't consider this a resolution until I see it on a statement. ;)

I'm trying to decide whether to call Chase to ask if they see this happening on their side or just wait until the next statement. What are you going to do @Mathmagicland ?

Last edited:
I won't consider this a resolution until I see it on a statement. ;)

I'm trying to decide whether to call Chase to ask if they see this happening on their side or just wait until the next statement. What are you going to do @Mathmagicland ?
I decided to throw it back at Chase now, so on my Secure Message string on this topic I replied back with the comments from DVC that Disney was working with Chase to correct & Chase was going to be fixing it retroactively to 0%. I figured it put the convo with DVC on record in writing between Chase and me on my account, if needed in the future.

I asked them if they could give me my new Interest Saving balance amount to pay for my upcoming payment due date. I really don’t know if they will be able to give that to me, as it would likely require a manual calculation. And I will try to guess at an amount to pay - Chase would expect me to pay some minimum even with the 0% based on the total balance. So I don’t want to pay just the non-MC charges,

This was sent late Friday afternoon so I won’t see a reply until next week.

I decided to throw it back at Chase now, so on my Secure Message string on this topic I replied back with the comments from DVC that Disney was working with Chase to correct & Chase was going to be fixing it retroactively to 0%. I figured it put the convo with DVC on record in writing between Chase and me on my account, if needed in the future.

I asked them if they could give me my new Interest Saving balance amount to pay for my upcoming payment due date. I really don’t know if they will be able to give that to me, as it would likely require a manual calculation. And I will try to guess at an amount to pay - Chase would expect me to pay some minimum even with the 0% based on the total balance. So I don’t want to pay just the non-MC charges,

This was sent late Friday afternoon so I won’t see a reply until next week.
I also sent Chase a message but just asked them to confirm they are working to retroactively add the 0% interest offer.

When DVC called, I thought it was odd that they asked me to verify all my personal info including member number. DVC initiated the call so the fact that they called my phone number on record should have been enough after I confirmed my name. Just thought that was odd.

Last edited:
When DVC called, I thought it was odd that they asked me to verify all my personal info including member number. They called me so the fact that they called my phone number on record should have been enough after I confirmed my name. Just thought that was odd.
I think it’s a security precaution- people can change phone numbers & maybe the DVC record is not yet updated. They ask me everything except member number at each phone call interaction, to help them ensure their records are current.

I think it’s a security precaution- people can change phone numbers & maybe the DVC record is not yet updated. They ask me everything except member number at each phone call interaction, to help them ensure their records are current.
Me too but usually it’s me calling DVC, wasn’t expecting it when they called me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!