2021 Tickets and APs?

Because we didn't have a solid plan for when we were going back, it didn't make sense to renew our passes (one of which was expiring imminently, the others not until March, so we couldn't renew just yet anyway).

When I was on the phone to cancel our current passes (luckily we more than broke even on them when we used them for 11 days over Xmas/NYE), I asked the CM what to do about APs for 2021, and they suggested waiting for an announcement in October, after they've sorted out the current AP mess. My own speculation is that the APs will be around, with Photopass still included, and maybe with some limited park hopping, like 2nd park after 2pm, depending on availability, and a max of 2 parks a day.

Because we didn't have a solid plan for when we were going back, it didn't make sense to renew our passes (one of which was expiring imminently, the others not until March, so we couldn't renew just yet anyway).

When I was on the phone to cancel our current passes (luckily we more than broke even on them when we used them for 11 days over Xmas/NYE), I asked the CM what to do about APs for 2021, and they suggested waiting for an announcement in October, after they've sorted out the current AP mess. My own speculation is that the APs will be around, with Photopass still included, and maybe with some limited park hopping, like 2nd park after 2pm, depending on availability, and a max of 2 parks a day.
My dream :genie: is that if park hopping is still prohibited, parks still closing relatively early, no fireworks or shows, etc., they’ll do away with the blockout dates in December for DVC Gold APs, at least for those of us who made our DVC reservations way back in January!

If you currently have an active AP can you renew them? Ours run out in a few months and we have a few trip scheduled.
Even if you could? I would not recommend doing this. We've had continuous APs (renewed each year), for 12 years. They are cheaper BUT:

A brand new, un-activated AP can be ACTIVATED when you can actually VISIT - anytime up to Dec 2030. A Renewal starts ticking on your Anniversary Date. Meanwhile? For trip planning purposes, you have recognized tickets.

It will be interesting to see how much they will increase the price of the purchase of the platinum AP when they do resume selling them. I think they could really throw out a golly whopper of an increase to many guest, but also keep the price close to the current amount for DVC eligible members. The DVC discount is a main selling point of direct points.

I think Disney is going to have to be somewhat careful with raising AP ticket prices given the large amount of people who did not renew their annuals passes after the last price increase and also the fact that so many people have had to tighten their belts and adjust their budgets during the current Covid crisis. Most people who are not frequent visitors, will likely postpone their trips until traveling isn’t such a problem, the parks and resorts are fully operational again, and in a lot of cases when they themselves are in a better financial state. At this point, Disney seems to be on course to alienate those who in the long run, continually support and contribute to the Disney bottom line. We try to stagger the our annual passes to get at least 2 trips in December a year apart as well as any extra trips in between. We normally bring other family with us and spend considerable dollars during our trips on dining, entertainment, and merchandise. Unfortunately when they stopped the AP sales, it was unexpected and I had not yet bought our new DVC Gold AP vouches for our upcoming December trip. I really do not want to buy park tickets for a single trip. At this point, we are thinking that if the AP sales don’t resume by the December trip, it will be a resort trip only with just DH and I to use the DVC points we need to use, and our entertainment and dining dollars will go elsewhere which will be Disney’s loss.

Even if you could? I would not recommend doing this. We've had continuous APs (renewed each year), for 12 years. They are cheaper BUT:

A brand new, un-activated AP can be ACTIVATED when you can actually VISIT - anytime up to Dec 2030. A Renewal starts ticking on your Anniversary Date. Meanwhile? For trip planning purposes, you have recognized tickets.
This is exactly what we did. Well, not really - our APs got extended into well into 2021, but over a period of months where were had no plans to go. And so we couldn't renew at this time anyway. And in the meantime, we would also not be able to make park reservations in 2021 anyway. So we decided to take the refund now and wait and see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!