2nd week of August, Labor Day weekend, or Thanksgiving Week?

Which is the best date

• 2nd week of August

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Labor Day weekend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thanksgiving week

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Teal03

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone, I’m planning a trip to DLR and need help! I’m going for 3 days. I’m in college so my budget is tight. This will be my first trip to the west coast and possibly my first solo trip.

I planned on going a week ago in February but I had to have unexpected surgery two weeks ago. I won’t be cleared until sometime late June. The best time for me to go is the 2nd week of August (8/6-8-10)Labor Day weekend (8/29-9/2) or Thanksgiving week.

I start school the 3rd week of August. I really don’t want to miss any days especially so early on. I’ll miss Thursday and Friday if I go during Labor Day weekend. We get the entire week of Thanksgiving off.

I live in the south so I would have to fly. Ticket prices are crazy for Thanksgiving week. They are a little better the 2nd week of August and will hit a low of $300 in July for Labor Day weekend. The hotel I have my eye on staying at has decent prices for all 3 dates so I’m not really worried about the price of it.

Where I live, I’m sure it would be hotter there than at DL at all 3 dates lol so the heat is not a factor for me.

I expect it to be crowded all 3 dates but which date will I run into a lot of refurbishments ? I don’t want to go and everything’s down.

Riding Heimlich has been on my bucket list since preschool. That won’t be possible if I go during Thanksgiving. I think Disney would keep it open until the end of Pixar fest but if that was the case they would’ve just said it.

All 3 dates have pros and cons. What would you all consider would be the best dates for me to book my trip? I really can’t decide. I’m leaning toward Labor Day weekend because it is the cheapest but I’ll miss two days of class.

fly out on the friday after thanksgiving, fly into Ontario or SNA for low fares. Being that you are a college student, you might try Ontario and figure how to catch the new direct bus public transit bus from San Berdino to the gates of Disneyland .'
thanksgiving will be the best bang for your buck with the most attractions open. Also, 2018 is the best year for holiday visiting as there is an extra week to visit.

but with budget costs, school and possible mid-country hub winter closures on your airline choice, the 2nd week in August is the cheapest, safest and most sound choice, but hey, you are a college student, young and resilient, always try for the most difficult travel experience......it is how you grow in life.....the hard choicest.

Skip Labor Day Weekend. Your next choice depends on whether or not you want to see DLR during Holiday Time. If so, go with the November dates. (You'll get DLR in its Christmas glory with the holiday parade, fireworks, treats, HMH, IASWH, etc.) If not, August it is! The advantage for August is longer hours, full entertainment schedule, more staffing, low/no refurbs, HM and IASW in their classic forms, lower APs blocked, etc. Don't be afraid of crowds at DLR. As a solo traveler, you'll be able to move more easily without a group to slow you down. And you'll be able to use the single rider lines and MaxPass to your advantage. When DLR is prepared for crowds, things flow much more smoothly than when the parks aren't prepared (like during non-peak season). For airports, try not to use airports that are too far from DLR -- although air fares might look really low, you can lose savings in booking transportation to/from the parks. LAX, SNA, LGB are the most popular airports (with SNA and LGB being the closest) for DLR, with many transportation choices. This thread has helpful information: Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore.

Last edited:
I would go in August over Labor Day and Thanksgiving just for the crowd levels. Second week of August you should still have long park hours and full entertainment. Look for blocked-out days to optimize when you should go. I would also stick with Long Beach or SNA to fly into as LuckyRabbit stated.

I would also skip Labor Day weekend, mostly because it is a three-day weekend for many folks and Haunted Mansion will be closed.

As others have said, I really think it comes down to what you want to see more: Pixar Fest or the Holiday Season. The attractions for Pixar Fest will still be there in November, but some of the specialty foods and entertainment (e.g., Together Forever Fireworks) may end on Labor Day.

Thank you all!!!

Yeah Labor Day weekend savings does not seem worth it to me anymore. I miss school and risk a lot of attractions being closed.

My mom more than likely won’t let me fly alone, so we’ll probably rent a car or split Ubers 50/50. She’ll probably do her own thing while I’m in the parks. The closest airports are way more expensive than LAX. I know LA traffic is really bad but I would hope I won’t have to spend the difference of $150 in fares to get where I’m going.

I think Pixar fest and riding Heimlich one last time is more important to me right now. The 2nd week of August it is. Hopefully I can get lucky and get flight credits and or cash to delay my flight and can come back for the holidays lol.

You can get a fare estimate from Lyft and Uber on their website. I don't think it's going to cost $150 more to get to DLR from LAX than from SNA, but you do have to consider the value of time...basically is it worth saving $x to sit in traffic for some additional amount of time instead of being in DLR.

Also look into taking the Disneyland Express bus roundtrip from LAX to DLR. The bus drops off at various resort area hotels, so if one of those hotels isn't yours, you can choose the closest one and Uber/Lyft from there (or walk, if your hotel is close enough).

Also look into taking the Disneyland Express bus roundtrip from LAX to DLR. The bus drops off at various resort area hotels, so if one of those hotels isn't yours, you can choose the closest one and Uber/Lyft from there (or walk, if your hotel is close enough).
Thank you so much! I never knew this existed. I’m definitely doing this.

Are DLR hotels like WDW hotels where you can hotel hop and eat there ? I would love to have dinner at the Grand Californian.

2nd week of August a lot of kids are starting school. It will still be crowded but no where near a holiday weekend or week.

The DLR hotels are not spaced out like WDW. All walking distance to each other and the parks. You won’t need a bus or shuttle. And you can eat where you like- reservations are best when it comes to hotel restaurants though

All 3 on site hotels have CS and TS options. There is character dining at all 3 hotels. In August the choices will be: Goofy's Kitchen (breakfast and the only dinner option) at the DLH, Donald Duck's Seaside Breakfast at PPH, and Mickey's Tales of Adventure at the GCH.
DLH also has Steakhouse 55 (TS), Trader Sam's (CS/bar), and Tangaroa Terrace (CS). PPH has the PCH Grill (TS) and the Surfside Lounge (CS -- fun poke bar!). GCH has Storyteller's Cafe (TS) and Napa Rose (TS), Hearthstone Lounge (bar), and Whitewater Snacks (CS).
As the pp said, all the hotels are walking distance from each other and to the parks and to DTD. You can find all the DLR menus for the parks, hotels, and DTD on allears.net.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter