3 Character Meals Reviewed

kabbie

DIS Veteran
Chef Mickey's breakfast grade: B

Food: I loved the omelets (3 cheese and Chef's Daily which was peppersteak). They were not traditional omelets off a skillet, but in a hot pan like scrambled eggs. Very good though. The chessy potatoes also stood out for me. My dad loves corn beef hash, but didn't care for the cornbread on top. Didn't like the cheese blintzes as much as the version at CRT. Everything else standard.

Characters: Chef Mickey's is a huge place and the characters are too rushed. They seem almost robotic: greet the kids, take pictures and sign autographs then leave. Goofy was in the waiting area which was right smat in the buffet line. Pluto, Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale circulated, but it was pretty average interaction. You have to wait a long time for characters to get to you.

1900 Park Fare grade: A

Food: chilled strawberry soup awesome!!!! Must have!!!!! I also like the chicken marsala, prime rib and pork loin. Desserts were so-so. Liked the apple cobbler (not as good as LTT) and banana pudding. The cheesecake tarts (key lime and fruit) were horrible in my opinion. Not anything like cheesecake.

Characters: Suzy and Perla were outstanding! Even gave the adults at the table some attention. My niece loved them...she had her hair done at Bibbity Bobbity Boutique (highly recommend that you take your little princesses there) and was dressed as Cinderella. She was called Princess Lauren for the remainder of the trip.

Liberty Square grade C

Food: Food was awesome! Can't beat home cooking like turkey, ham, prime rib, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, green beans (didn't like). Rolls were rock hard. Apple cobbler was delicious! Would have definitely asked for seconds of that. We were rushed due to wanted to get out to the Halloween Party. Maybe if it was a normal night, it would have been better experience.

Characters: Horrible coordination!! All of the characters would take their break at the same time! We sat there for 30 minutes before one character came up, but we had multiple characters walk by us to get to the next room. Felt completely ignored like we weren't dining in the restaurant. Will never go to again!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews! I know what you mean about the characters seeming robotic -- it was that way for us at the PSB (except for Mulan, who had a personality). Fortunately, my 4 year old didn't notice!

I used to live in Grapevine and drove through Southlake every day on my way to work! My coworkers and I used to eat lunch at the Marriott on 114 frequently.

llqool said:
Fortunately, my 4 year old didn't notice!

I used to live in Grapevine and drove through Southlake every day on my way to work! My coworkers and I used to eat lunch at the Marriott on 114 frequently.

Small world! I have lived in S'lake for 9 years. I worked at the DFW Marriott and helped out at the Marriott Solana (both are off 114).

My 3 yr old niece didn't notice either. We did enjoy CRT in Dec 05. I think maybe if my niece was more outgoing, but at first meeting characters she is a little shy then warms up. Problem is the time with characters is so limited that she doesn't get the chance. Suzy and Perla did come around multiple times not like the face characters. Fairy Godmother in the lobby was friendly and good with kids as was the Fairy Godmother at CRT.

i'm glad to hear that you still have positive things to say about Park Fare b/c we are going there for Thanksgiving. We went there a couple of years ago and had a lot of face (mask? costume?) time with the mice and with Prince Charming. We never even got to see the fairy godmother, though.

with my 4 yr old, it's not so much that she's shy, it's more that she's kind of confused by the assembly line nature of places like PSB. the character "handlers" were kind of off-putting to children and adults alike.

i was talking about the Solana Marriott, btw. haven't been back for a couple of years, though, so I am sure it's all changed!

bob-mickey-kevin.jpg

Thanks for the great review. It brought back wonderful memories of my very first meal at WDW when Mister Disney arranged for us to go to the character breakfast at Ohana's. We had a wonderful time with Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale and Goofy.

And yes, I behaved myself and did NOT get in the congo line with the kids and characters.

pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate:

No Donald at Chef Mickey's? maybe he is just a dinner, but I love to see him :)

Enjoyed your reviews, but next time try Cape May Breakfast Buffet.
They had every kind of breakfast imaginable (parfait-yummy, donuts-yummier) and the characters were so attentive and individual! Minnie was acting like a total diva, and Goofy left the restraunt and tried to get back in by climbing a short retaining wall, which resulted in a headfirst fall that cracked everyone up. And Chip and Dale-- well, they buckled themselves into a couple of strollers and raced around- hilarious!

It totally made my day. If you're staying at the Beach Club, this is a must.

At LTT - does the food all come on one plate? Just can't figure out what they give you if it is not a buffet? I like Turkey but not the other meats. Can you just get some turkey. Did you mention seconds??? Can you get more mashed potatoes. I LOVE those carbs! :teeth:

(I am trying to decide between LTT and another character meal for 2007!)

Thanks for the reviews. Glad to hear you liked the food at LTT, but sorry the character interaction was disappointing. ::MickeyMo

SnwflkCts said:
At LTT - does the food all come on one plate? Just can't figure out what they give you if it is not a buffet? I like Turkey but not the other meats. Can you just get some turkey. Did you mention seconds??? Can you get more mashed potatoes. I LOVE those carbs! :teeth:

(I am trying to decide between LTT and another character meal for 2007!)

The meats all come on one plate. Yes, you can get seconds (or thirds, whatever you like) as well as ask just for specifically a bit more of one type of meat, if you prefer.

You can also get more of the mashed potatoes.

FWIW, our favorite character meal for many reasons was Crystal Palace for a 10:20AM "breakfast" reservation. I put breakfast in quotes because by the time you're done eating, they've put out the lunch stuff & started having that, so you can have a bit of lunch before you go too, if you're of a mind to. We LOVE Pooh & friends, so that was extra special. Plus, we had the most WONDERFUL cast member as our waitress, Linda. She's got 35 yrs at WDW (one of perhaps 16 people total in the company at WDW with that much time in... she was there for the Soft Opening in September 1971, as was I). She was absolutely WONDERFUL, lots of attention, making sure that we were having the best possible time (we were there for our honeymoon), etc, just a truly spectacular job. We made sure to get her information and to stop at Guest Services to make sure to commend her.

Enjoy the Magic, whatever you do!

MrMagicMPH....thanks!

FWIW, our favorite character meal for many reasons was Crystal Palace for a 10:20AM "breakfast" reservation. I put breakfast in quotes because by the time you're done eating, they've put out the lunch stuff & started having that, so you can have a bit of lunch before you go too, if you're of a mind to.
Wow....that is a nice bit of information. The Wife LOVES breakfast & the rest of us prefer lunch. So everyone can be happy, it's probably not as crowded (a guess) as 9am or 12-1pm & we can get characters too.

Thanks!

hound :dogdance:

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your character interaction wasn't as good at LTT as mine. My bf and I actually got tired of the characters coming by us when we ate there in sept (3 times while we tried to eat) and the place was full. Were you there during a parade by chance. I know that when we were there and spectromagic was passing by they made all the characters go in the back until their float passed by the restaurant. Just a thought.

I've never been to park fare. I think I will check it out next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter