3 hotel changes, too many??

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, wanted some opinions please. We go to Disney/Universal in Aug. This year I wanted to book 1 week at Bay Lake (I rent points). I waited too long, and the full week wasn't available, so I ended up doing 4 nights at Bay Lake, then 4 nights at Boardwalk (both 1 bedrooms). The only thing is we check into our first hotel (Bay Lake) on Thurs. We are probably going to fly down to Orlando on Sunday before. My original thought was we would do Universal and Seaworld prior to checking into the Disney hotels, but now it would make it 3 hotel changes. The person I rent from doesn't have enough of points for me to add on some nights at Bay Lake, then we would do Uni and Seaworld during our Disney stay. So should I look for someone else to purchase some points from, add it onto the Bay Lake stay, making it only 2 hotel changes? Our should I just get a hotel near Uni and Seaworld and deal with the 3 changes?
OKW is available for the 8 nights (2 bedroom), and so is Boardwalk (1 bedroom), that would mean changing my current reservation and stay at 1 hotel at Disney, then find 1 hotel for Uni and SW.
Hope this isn't too confusing (lol!) Any opinions appreciated, thank you!
We're 3 adults, no little kiddos involved with changing!

I did want to add..some of the Seaworld/Uni hotels we would consider would be The Renaissance across from SeaWorld, HGVC at Seaworld, or if the APH come out for Uni we might consider staying on sight (depending on how much the price comes down)

You will have to check out by 11 and might not get your next villa until 4-so you’re kind of “homeless “ for two days-
Have you stayed at OKW before? The villas are huge and the resort is beautiful. And BWI has the advantage of easy access to two parks. Just my opinion, but our family liked OKW much more than Bay Lake.
I would prefer one stay at a Disney hotel and stay at a Universal hotel for their perks.

I hate changing hotels personally but we're a family of 5 so we spread out too much. I would also consider what pp said about your luggage and being stuck between hotels. I think you may lose some park time but you're staying a long time so it may not matter.

For Universal, I would recommend staying onsite to get the free express passes. Totally worth it if you're visiting during a busy season.

I would do the changes if I had overlapping reservations, which may or may not be available or cost effective. But like sjrec said, the "homeless" aspect can make for a couple of long days where all you want to do is sit down and refresh in your own space. I've been considering a Seaworld visit one of these days and HGVC looks like a great option for visiting their parks, the proximity might be worth the switching.

I would see what's up with Universal PH rates, so you can get the perks... You might think about calling to see what going on...

Changing resorts 3 times is quite a lot.. I would see if you can rent points from someone else if the universal option does not work out...also when you arrive you could let them know and maybe you would not have to change rooms..

It might be easier for you as you have a longer stay planned, and are all adults... But keep in mind there might be a gap in room readiness, so you might be without a place to call home for several hours...

On another note, We have stayed at the Renaissance in front of Sea World... Its very nice, and the rooms were quite comfortable... We were there for a wedding for the weekend 3 nights, and for a company function for the weekend 3 nights...

I would opt for changing to OKW for the 8 nights and doing a Universal or Sea World hotel before. We've stayed at OKW in a 2BR and it was very nice! Doing onsite at Universal would be great! AP rates for Aug may not come out for a while, but they're usually pretty good at that time of the year! But if you can't change hotels, you do have a long vacation so 3 changes isn't that bad and without kids it makes for less packing up to change hotels.

thank you everyone! I think what we are going to do is, book at HGVC at Seaword, then see if any APH rates come out for on sight at Universal. We really like being able to walk to the Disney parks, and BL and BW give us that. So even though changing isn't ideal, I think we'll stick with it. I did make dinner reservations at MK and the Beach Club for our first night at the hotels. I know the one year we did a split stay, we had a reservation at Disney springs, and it was getting late for our room to be ready, but I figured I'd keep those dining options close to make it a little easier. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!