3 Months to go and not potty trained!

Originally posted by musicgirl
At over 3 1/2, a friend took him for the day. He came back and never had an accident. Her kids (3 boys) were all trained by 18 months. I'm not sure what she said or did that day, but it worked!

Is she available for consultations?!

I think she could make a lot of money!!

She's a religion teacher at my school, I think she gets some kind of extra help!!! LOL!!!

DH is in the Army and we thought we could have a "Potty Training Boot Camp" but we might need to enroll her in therapy if we do that.!

I had a chart. When she used the potty and was dry she earned a happy face, when she didn't it was a sad face. At the end of the day we would count the happy and sad faces. Slowly we would start having more happy than sad. Also I showed her the kid's club online (pic) and we watched the DCL video over and over again. Did you know they only allow girls that use the potty on the ship. She had me pulling out my hairs, but she was potty trained less than a week before our cruise.

because my kids all learned very late (the earliest one was 3 years and 3 months old and the latest was 4 1/2). In my defense, I stayed home w/them so there was no pressure like day care and I had all four in 5 years so I was just plain tired! It was easier to change all those diapers...I digress...

Here are things that worked:
--My DD flipped the switch when she had a friend over and saw HER going potty. Finally she had a "want to"
--Bribery was not beneath me. I would give quarters, dollar-store toys...anything that tripped their trigger any time they went potty.
--I found that when my children decided on their own when to do it, they "flipped a switch" and never had an accident. The ones I tried to "strongly encourage" had more accidents.

My 2.5 year-old DD just potty trained in the last couple of weeks. There was no bribing, cajoling, or pressuring, just a relaxed "whenever you're ready" attitude. That seemed to work for us! She doesn't like public toilets (I think it's because they're so high off the ground that it's just uncomfortable), so trips out of the house are carefully timed, but that will change, too.

Just give your DD the time and space that she needs and she'll hit her stride. If you start pushing the issue, she's got you trained! Let her decide what's right and she'll be potty training in no time!

Erin :D

Sorry to be the bearer or bad news, but some kids just arent ready. DS#1 was like that. We tried just about every method listed here, every trick, every reward, anything possible, and he was just not ready to do it. He was past 3 1/2 when he finally got it, and when he did, he never had an accident.
DS#2, got it before age 3 but would have an accident here or there.
I found its best to just let them do it and not to pressure them.

Our pediatrician suggested we use popcorn as an incentive.

It is an extremely sensory product. He told us to make microwave popcorn every day. DS could hear it popping, he could smell it, and he could see it when we took it out. But, popcorn is only for big boys, and big boys don't pee and poop in their diaper. They use the potty and wear underpants.

It's not important that you eat a lot of it, just a bite or two, it is just important that he know that he can't have it. We didn't say it every day, just when he asked for it.

I can tell you, the first time we went to the movies after he was trained, he was the first to remind me that he got popcorn, because he was a "big boy".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter