3 Rings found at Wilderness Lodge

MM32830

DIS Veteran
What an incredible story.

Read this from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/newsletter/orl-disneyring2208apr22,0,7545019.story

OrlandoSentinel.com

Lost and found: 3 treasured rings and a happy ending at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Scott Powers

Sentinel Staff Writer

April 22, 2008

It had been a wonderful vacation at Walt Disney World -- until Paul Campanale accidentally threw away his wife's three platinum and diamond rings.

An icy-cold trip home to Worcester, Mass., awaited the unfortunate husband as he, his wife and two young children left the giant resort Friday.

"We weren't speaking," Karen Campanale said Monday. "At least, I wasn't speaking to him."

But into every nine-year marriage, a little magic must fall: Beating what the Campanales had been told were the all-but-impossible odds of finding the three rings required one lucky break and eight Disney workers in protective gear pawing through a trash pile bag by bag.

"We were on our way to the airport when my husband had gotten the phone call saying they were recovered," Karen Campanale said.

The night before the family's departure from Disney, Karen Campanale, 35, a teacher, had taken off her engagement, wedding and five-year-anniversary rings, as was her habit. She put them in a little container and then placed that, for safekeeping, in a cardboard bowl on a shelf in their villa at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

As they packed and tidied the villa, Paul Campanale, 37, a chemist, didn't notice the container had rings in it, so he tossed the bowl and its contents.

Housekeeping collected the trash and it was sent, the Campanales were later told, to the resort's industrial-sized trash compactor.

"The man said: 'If it's already in there, I don't know what else I can do for you. Sorry,' " Karen Campanale recalled.

So the Campanales chucked their hope, checked their bags, gathered their children -- Jack, 6, and Emma, 3 -- and awaited their Magical Express bus to start the long trip home.

But it turned out the trash from their villa hadn't reached the compactor yet. Instead, it had taken another route and had been dumped in a standard parking-lot trash bin.

When Wilderness Lodge executive housekeeper Drew Weaver realized that, he organized a search party -- himself and seven other volunteers among the employees. They donned gloves and other protective clothing, emptied the bin onto the asphalt and began to search, one bag at a time, for the three rings.

The Campanales had no idea this was happening. Shortly after their bus left Wilderness Lodge for the airport -- maybe three hours after they first reported the loss -- Paul Campanale's cell phone rang, bringing news he could hardly believe: rings found. Weaver drove them over to the bus' next stop, Disney's Polynesian Resort.

"A lot of people around the hotel heard about what happened, and they were congratulating us and saying, 'Wow, you guys are heroes.' We're not heroes. That's what we do," Weaver said. "That's not the first time we've gone through trash -- oh, no. We don't always find things. Many times we come up empty. But we didn't this time."

The three rings, Karen Campanale said, are fine.

"I was shocked," she said. "That's five-star service."

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel

Great Story!!

I am glad I get to stay at such an awesome resort for our Disneymoon in October!:goodvibes

Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup2

You know, with all the ways we do get on Disney this is a GREAT story about CM determination!

My DH just walked into the office and said in a very nose thumbing tone, "I know something that you don't about your favorite place in the world!" I said, "Was it about the three rings and the happy ending?!" His jaw dropped as he nodded "Uh huh" and backed out of the room.

Gots ta loves the :worship: disboards! :thumbsup2

My DH just walked into the office and said in a very nose thumbing tone, "I know something that you don't about your favorite place in the world!" I said, "Was it about the three rings and the happy ending?!" His jaw dropped as he nodded "Uh huh" and backed out of the room.

Gots ta loves the :worship: disboards! :thumbsup2

lol!!

What an amazing story~!

This is exactly why WDW will always get my hard-earned vacation dollars! There's nowhere else on earth that will give you that kind of service!:cool1:

That family is from our area..it was in our local paper. How wonderful that WDW CMs went the extra mile for guests. We keep hearing about how the service has declined at WDW...this is so wonderful to hear!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter