4 Adults, 6 Days/5 Nights on DDP: Days 3 & 4--50's Prime Time and Alfredo's

Day 3—ABC Commissary and 50’s Prime Time Café

We spent all of Wednesday in MGM, and had lunch at the ABC Commissary on Commissary Lane. Michael and I both had the Fish and Chips, which was not as good as the fish at Columbia Harbour House at Magic Kingdom. They offered malt vinegar and tarter sauce condiments in little ketchup-like packets. DH was dying for a burger by this point and had the ABC Special Cheeseburger with fries. Not sure what was supposed to be “special,” but he really liked it, and said it was very high quality for a CS (I guess that’s what makes it “special”). Mom had the Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry—Asian vegetables with lo mein noodles in a soy stir-fry. I wish I had taken a picture! It came in a “take-out” box and was very good. Mom was surprised to find something so diverse and fresh at a “fast food place.” The only desserts they had listed were a Chocolate Mousse and a No-Sugar Added Strawberry Parfait, but we saw a girl walk away from the counter with a Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Almond Bar, so Mom asked for that for her dessert, and got it. I would have loved a nut-free Haagen-Dazs bar, but people insist on ruining perfectly good chocolate with nuts! So DH and I had the Chocolate Mousse, which was more like a whipped Jell-O pudding topped with a little whipped cream and a few mini marshmallows (a nice touch), and Michael had the Strawberry Parfait. After lunch, we split up again. I told Mom that the Writer’s Stop was supposed to have good coffee, so she tried a cappuccino there. She said it was only slightly better than the in-room coffee (which she tried after I warned her not to!), but drinkable.

We had a 6:35 reservation at 50’s Prime Time Café. We were all supposed to meet at 6:15, but DH and I were late, and got there right at 6:30. Mom was still trying to fight her way up to the front to check-in (probably didn’t help that it had just started raining)! After checking in, we waited for about 10 minutes to be seated. Our server was Cousin Jennifer, and she was very nice. I have to admit, I was a little worried the antics would be too over the top for my very reserved mother, but I had nothing to worry about! We kept our elbows off the table and ate all our vegetables. Of course she asked about my cashew allergy—by now DH was calling it “the stigma.” But before I go into the food, I have to comment on a guy seated across the dining room from us. He had obviously been there before, and kept trying to get the rest of his table in trouble. He would egg on Cousin Jennifer every time she walked by, saying things like if she didn’t straighten up he would go get Mom, and such. It was loud, distracting, and a little embarrassing, so if that was you, shame on you! Now on to the food…

For appetizers, DH and I had the Fried Herb Cheese with toasted French bread and red grapes. We expected this to be more like mozzarella sticks, but it was actually a spreadable cheese beneath a crispy crust. We spread it on our bread and it was very good. Mom had the Beer Battered Onion Rings, which were really crispy and sweet. Michael had the Chicken Noodle Soup, which he didn’t say too much about, surprising, knowing him. I wish they had a boneless chicken tender dish on the menu, but DH didn’t want me to ask, for fear of something embarrassing! Michael had the Golden Fried Chicken, which came with mashed potatoes, gravy, and collard greens. If you don't know what collard greens are, you are obviously not from the South! Surprise--he ate all his greens! Maybe the thought of them topped with whipped cream was more disgusting than the greens themselves...The rest of us had the Old-Fashioned Pot Roast. I don’t know why people have trouble finishing their vegetables here—my dish was almost all meat and not enough mashed potatoes and carrots! DH, however, felt the balance was just right, and helped me finish my pot roast. It was really good, really reminiscent of home-cooking. We got to look at our desserts through the Viewmaster (Michael had no idea what it was, but I know we had one when we were kids!). Michael knew exactly what he wanted—Dad’s Super Sundae. It was so Super he couldn’t finish it…and this kid is a bottomless pit! DH had the Angel Food Cake with fresh berries and whipped cream. Again, this was the “prettiest dessert award.” Mom had the Apple Cobbler a la Mode, so good I wanted two desserts! I had to go with the S’Mores…soooooo good! The graham cracker was crispy, the chocolate just starting to melt, and the marshmallows tasted like they had just come off a campfire! Overall, the atmosphere (besides Mr. Loudmouth), food, and service were all excellent. While not in our Top 5, I would eat here again if I wanted a TS before Fantasmic (that was the plan this time), but I would definitely like to come back just for the desserts! DDP value: $150.

50's Prime Time Cafe

Fried Herb Cheese
3477549%3C%3A%7Ffp356%3Enu%3D3238%3E952%3E5%3C3%3EWSNRCG%3D32339%3A7968345nu0mrj

Old Fashioned Pot Roast
3477549%3C%3A%7Ffp356%3Enu%3D3238%3E952%3E5%3C3%3EWSNRCG%3D32339%3A795%3B58%3Bnu0mrj

Golden Fried Chicken
3477549%3C%3A%7Ffp348%3Enu%3D3238%3E952%3E5%3C3%3EWSNRCG%3D32339%3A7968347nu0mrj

Clockwise from top: Apple Cobbler (Seasonal), Angel Food Cake with Fresh Berries, and S'mores
3477549%3C%3A%7Ffp347%3Enu%3D3238%3E952%3E5%3C3%3EWSNRCG%3D32339%3A796834%3Anu0mrj

Dad's Super Sundae (See the Mickey?)
3477549%3C%3A%7Ffp347%3Enu%3D3238%3E952%3E5%3C3%3EWSNRCG%3D32339%3A795%3B596nu0mrj

Day 4...the day I left the camera in the room!!....Alfredo's...

Great pics. We tried the fried herb cheese for the first time a few eeks ago. Loved it!!!! Not at all what one would anticipate.

Wow cant wait to try the pot roast at PT! Question can you substitute greens for corn or something else? DO they still have green beans available, I know my DS wont like the greens..

bluejasmine said:
Wow cant wait to try the pot roast at PT! Question can you substitute greens for corn or something else? DO they still have green beans available, I know my DS wont like the greens..

We didn't ask, but I have seen a picture on this board somewhere of the fried chicken served with mashed potatos and corn, so I'm sure you can.

Thank you for the reviews and the wonderful pictures. We are really looking forward to 50's PT this trip and I hope they have the Angel Food cake when we are there. It looks divine.

I love Primetime. We eat there every time we go. I've always gotten the pot pie since we've always gone at lunch. This time, I'm going to try something else, being that it's dinner and they don't offer the pot pie. I might also try the Commisary as well. We need a place for lunch.

Thanks for the reviews. I really enjoyed reading everything and can't wait for the rest. Love those pictures as well. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the review. By the way - I love your name - conservative hippie. It creates such a wonderful picture.

Day 4--Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe and L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante

We started out the day at AK, and then DH and I headed to Epcot, leaving Mom and Michael to try (in vain) to get fastpasses for Everest. Mom went back to Flame Tree for more ribs for lunch, and apparently Michael went back to AKL and slept...Well DH and I went straight to World Showcase and had lunch at our favorite Epcot CS--Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe in Norway. In November 2005, your CS came with the Chef's Selection--a ham or turkey open-faced sandwich, a cup of potato leek soup, and a rice cream. This is what we thought we were getting, but apparently it changed. Now, you get choice of sandwich, either a fruit cup or salad, and any pastry, including School Bread, Cloudberry Horns, cinnamon rolls.....lots and lots of pastries. DH got the ham and cheese, fruit cup, and a Cloudberry Horn. I got the turkey, fruit cup, and...I was about to get the famous School Bread when I spotted a giant cinnamon roll...and giant cinnamon rolls win any day in my book. The sandwiches were good. The bread is slathered with butter, and then topped with lettuce and a ton of meat (the ham also has Jarlsburg cheese). I remembered the sandwich being very salty last time, and it was still very salty, but good. Fruit cups were red grapes and strawberries. The pastries were excellent. DH stole a few bites of my cinnamon roll and loved it so much he would get three more before our trip was over!

For dinner, we had a 7:00 reservation at Alfredo's. We checked in about five minutes till, and waited about 15 minutes to be seated. I left my camera back at AKL, and I really wish I could have taken a picture of the chef making pasta in the room right off the lobby! DH makes fresh pasta at home, (I'm so lucky!) and he really wanted the bigger pasta machine. For appetizers, DH and Michael really wanted to try the Antipasto, which counts as three. So I gave in and got it with them, and Mom got Alfredo’s Famous Caesar Salad. The Antipasto All'Italiana is "a rustic assortment of Italy's finest cheeses, homemade Tuscan bread and sliced meats, including prosciutto, bresaola, mortadella and soppressata." It also came with marinated artichoke and olives, and red grapes (this must be the season for red grapes at Disney). It was very good, and we liked trying something new. The only meat we could identify was the prosciutto, but they were all good.

For entrees, Michael got Le Originali Fettuccine All'Alfredo. He loves Fettuccine Alfredo so much that we joked that he could get one for an appetizer and one for an entrée. This was not his favorite Fettuccine Alfredo, as the sauce is more of a cheese base than the Americanized cream base. But I really loved it, and will definitely get the appetizer portion next time. Mom and DH both had the Trittico Di Pasta, a “sampler of our most popular pastas: Lasagna, Ziti with a fresh plum tomato sauce, and Pasta dumplings stuffed with imported black truffles, mushrooms and cheese.” Mom wished the pasta dumplings were offered as a full entrée. Both really enjoyed it. I remembered my favorite from last time—the Tagliolini Alla Vodka Con Gamberoni. It is described as a “homemade tagliolini pasta in a tomato, cream and pepper-infused Vodka sauce served with shrimp.” Fresh pasta is so much better than dried! The sauce is slightly spicy (of course Michael didn’t think so), and the shrimp was very good, and I even got over the fact that they still had tails (shrimp tails count as a bone).

I was really disappointed that the panna cotta was gone from the dessert menu! IMHO, Alfredo’s has the most limited dessert menu. I can only remember the Tiramisu, Cannoli, and Sampler, and unfortunately none of the menu websites include the dessert menu! Michael and I both had the Tiramisu, which came in a cute espresso cup with the cream on top looking like foam. The Tiramisu was ok, but I would have preferred the panna cotta. Mom asked if she could get a cappuccino as her dessert (it was cheaper than the desserts), but the waiter said no. So she and DH split the Sampler, which counts as two. The Sampler was barely enough for two people to share, but they managed. Overall, our meal very good, and the service was good. (BTW, this is the only place that did not mention my cashew allergy or ask if any of us had food allergies.) My only complaint is that we were seated in the small room in the back, and it was so close to the kitchen that every time someone went through the kitchen door we heard a loud BANG. No one else mentioned it, so I may have been the only one bothered (what with my classically trained sensitive hearing and all :rolleyes1 ). Alfredo’s stays in our Top 5, and we will definitely be back. DDP value: $200.

I forgot my camera on this day, so I searched through the pics over on the food thread and found pics of some of the things we had. If you would not like me to use your photo, please PM me and I will remove it.

Alfredo’s

Antipasto All’Italiano from Tinkerbelle_325
efa02a07.jpg

Caesar Salad from Tinkerbelle_325
f0609e0d.jpg

Trittico Di Pasta from disneydiva21
TritticodiPasta.jpg

Tagliolini Alla Vodka Con Gamberoni from disneydiva21
TaglioliniAllaVodkaconGamberoni.jpg

Day 5....LE CELLIER!!

That was so nice of you to search for the pics of Alfredo's, thanks for the reviews. I'm glad you liked Alfredo's since we're eating there in two weeks. :)

We ate at Primetime, and it was probably the most fun my family has had at dinner in a loooong time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter