4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

In the Minnie Vans, too? Will they have Minnie Vans dedicated as pet-free? Getting somebody else's pet's hair on my clothes would cause a serious re-evaluation of where I spend my vacation money. And this is coming from a dog lover.

If they're also allowed in the Minnie Vans, then people won't be able to just avoid certain resorts to avoid the pets. They have to avoid the Minnie Van transportation option, too.

I've noticed one thing in this thread: there are several people who actually like and own dogs that still think this is a horrible idea. I'm not sure I would have expected that. I wonder if Disney did...

In the Minnie Vans, too? Will they have Minnie Vans dedicated as pet-free? Getting somebody else's pet's hair on my clothes would cause a serious re-evaluation of where I spend my vacation money. And this is coming from a dog lover.

If they're also allowed in the Minnie Vans, then people won't be able to just avoid certain resorts to avoid the pets. They have to avoid the Minnie Van transportation option, too.

I've noticed one thing in this thread: there are several people who actually like and own dogs that still think this is a horrible idea. I'm not sure I would have expected that. I wonder if Disney did...

Not sure if you saw the article/commentary on this the DIS posted but their quick estimation is that 85% of the views are against this .... I can't think of the last thing that 85% of Disney fans agree on

I do see a few people that are strongly in favor of this - but from what I read it seems like they are really responsible dog owners with really well behaved dogs - and it isn't necessarily those that people are concerned about

I've only read a few pages, but I have a few questions. Dogs are nice as long as they belong to someone else. I don't want to take care of dogs, neighbor dog, sure, I'll pet you, good doggy, see you next week. That's enough for me.

That said, I'm curious, what are the dogs suppose to do 6, 7 hours a day. At home, don't most dogs have a larger space to roam. Then when the owners get back, is a 20 min walk going to be enough for a dog that's been in one room all day.

What about you are in the elevator, double stroller with two toddlers, door open and dog owner is waiting to bring doggy outside. Can the parent say please don't come in, my kids are afraid of dogs?

Some dogs can easily hang out and sleep for 7 hours. Some can't.

I would think that if someone said my kid is afraid, the dog owner wouldn't get in. The last thing most dog owners want a scared child near their dog. I try to keep kids away from my dog when we are on our walks and he's a mush. I don't trust a lot of kids near my dog, they do dumb things

Good point about the minnie vans.

Looking over the rules, it says only licensed dogs are allowed into the parks. But is disney allowed to asked for this license? I wouldn't be surprised to hear 30% of the dogs in the parks are not service dogs.

Those with service dogs could already be using the Minnie vans as they could also be in any room of any resort per ADA law. Read on another thread how a family walked into I think an AKL room and dad started sneezing so they went down to front desk to ask for a different room. Found out at front desk a service dog had previously been in the room and family was not told before they saw that room. They were switched to a new room.

I am sure I have left pet hairs and dander from my kids in any Disney vehicle I have travelled even though I try really hard to get all pet hairs off my clothes before packing they always seem to find their way in my luggage

Some dogs can easily hang out and sleep for 7 hours. Some can't.

I would think that if someone said my kid is afraid, the dog owner wouldn't get in. The last thing most dog owners want a scared child near their dog. I try to keep kids away from my dog when we are on our walks and he's a mush. I don't trust a lot of kids near my dog, they do dumb things

yeah, I think the worry is for owners that aren't responsible ... and even in the 2nd case where the owner is being responsible that doesn't change the fact the kid got scared and I am sure the last thing people want is their kid scared while at WDW.

And you are right about kids doing dumb things. What happens when someone is being really responsible with their dog but some unsupervised kid comes over and grabs the dog and the dog nips at them or something? (even if it was 100% the kid in the wrong)

I know I am focusing on all the negative possible outcomes, but a) it has me worried they only gave 2 days notice before enacting it and b) I still and trying to figure out why this is a better option that using the Best Friends Pet Care if you do want your dog on vacation with you

Good point about the minnie vans.

Looking over the rules, it says only licensed dogs are allowed into the parks. But is disney allowed to asked for this license? I wouldn't be surprised to hear 30% of the dogs in the parks are not service dogs.
You are not allowed to ask for proof of a license for a service dog, BUT Florida does crack down on fake service dogs so I do not know how that works then.

Spoke to a CM friend of mine. Each hotel will have a designated area where only people staying with dogs will be allowed if they are booked up, then they are booked up. CM will then attempt to look at other hotels for them to stay at. they even have their own area for walks and bathroom use.

I don't think I'd personally fly down from NYC and bring my dog as there are a million and one hipster dog sitters around. but for people that are local or within a decent driving distance I can see this as being helpful.

as for service animals. Disney can ask (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

my dog is a service dog he helps with my anxiety and stress related breakdowns. he knows how to hug ( which is laying on top of me or nuzzling me and licking me in the face to change my mood or calm me down) he also knows how to retrieve my medicine. he is considered a ESA but again, I would not bring him with me.

But I am all for People being able to bring their pets. I find it like food allergies..... You wouldn't NOT go to a restaurant that cooked with certain things you would call and ask for accommodations. Which disney is known for doing for EVERYONE. All you gotta do is talk to the chef. This is another great addition to Disney.

Oh and RickInNYC ( for the old school Disboards ) Says Hi!

First, let me say upfront that I am a dog owner and dog lover. We have an adorable three-year-old beagle whose happiness and welfare while we are on vacation is always our first concern. (In fact, more than once we've caught ourselves in the middle of somewhere like the World Showcase, huddled around someone's iPhone exclaiming over Toby playing with other dogs at his kennel on their PetCam, when suddenly we look up and go "oh, right . . . .") Anyhow, my point is that, although we would love nothing more than coming back to our room and having Toby be there, I DO NOT THINK IT IS FAIR TO THE DOGS to put them in a situation where they will be alone in an unfamiliar environment that is bound to make them, at the very least, more anxious than they need to be for at least seven hours at a time. (And who's going to be monitoring that rule, anyway? What's to stop a guest from leaving their dog for the much more typical 10 or 12 hours at a stretch?) IMHO, the ONLY way this is going to work long-term is to have either a dedicated pet-friendly resort that has appropriate staffing, accommodations, and services, and/or on-site kennels at the designated (or even every) resort and require guests to drop their pets at the kennel when leaving the resort for crating or play with the other dogs. But leaving a dog alone in a room for hours at a time is not the answer. In our case, anyone familiar with a beagle's "baroo"ing will know that we would be getting calls about our dog making noise and having to return to the resort constantly - hardly conducive to a relaxing time! Would much rather stand in the middle of World Showcase watching Toby happily romping with other dogs at a kennel via PetCam - whether from just a couple of miles or 2,000 miles away.

my dog is a service dog he helps with my anxiety and stress related breakdowns. he knows how to hug ( which is laying on top of me or nuzzling me and licking me in the face to change my mood or calm me down) he also knows how to retrieve my medicine. he is considered a ESA but again, I would not bring him with me.

Oh and RickInNYC ( for the old school Disboards ) Says Hi!

This is the kind of confusion that is going to get people in trouble. I want to be clear I'm not talking specifically about you, I'm just using your post to provide some important information because you brought up 2 very different things in your post. You probably know this already, but a lot of people don't. ESA and Service Dogs are two separate things. I know Service Dogs can also be ESAs, but ESAs are not, by definition Service Dogs. So places where Service Dogs are allowed, ESAs are not. Disney, of course, plays this game somewhat, though every trip I seem to see more ESA animals masquerading as Service Dogs. How do I know? Because tiny stroller dogs don't make Service Dogs. Nor do dogs that are pulling on leashes, looking around at crowds, acting excited, or not being focused on their job. I don't care what the vest someone bought online says. The dogs don't have the size, skills, or temperament. Not all Service Dogs are Goldens or Labs or Shepherds of course, but they do tend to be from the more trainable and sociable breeds.

Disney seems almost afraid to make that distinction these days, allowing more ESAs masquerading as Service Dogs into the Parks. By policy, pets and ESAs are not allowed in proscribed resorts, parks, restaurants, certain transportation and more. Service Dogs, and Service Ponies oddly enough, are allowed in all those areas and I wish Disney would be more diligent about this.

Again, I'm not referencing you specifically here at all, because I don't know you at all or your dog or your situation! I'm just saying, because this is one of those issues that drives me nuts as a dog person. An ESA does not have Service Dog privileges, and if someone is treating an ESA as a Service Dog that person is not only breaking the law, but also doing a disservice to people who really need Service Dogs. ESAs do not necessarily have the training and skills that Service Dogs receive, and are generally not trained and certified to be in a complex, confusing, crowded, loud, unfamiliar, chaotic, and startling environment. Like... say... Disney World. All it takes is one ESA masquerading as a Service Dog going nuts during fireworks to create problems for people that really need to have dogs with them.

Ok. I've thrown my soap box away and we can all go back to discussing the joy of having pets locked in hotel rooms while we run to Chef Mickey's for Character Breakfast, MK for a full day of 3 scheduled FPs, CHH for lunch, whatever FPs are left to gather in the afternoon, a Mickey Bar for dinner, popcorn with the fireworks, one mad dash to 7DMT during the late night parade, and back to clean up the pile of poop Fifi left in the room, and a lack of towels because Housekeeping wouldn't come in.

I love dogs, and I miss my dog soooo much when I travel, but I'd never, ever bring him to Disney with me. Flying on a plane, taking DME, being in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar noises (screaming kiddos running down the hall, mousekeeping sounds, fireworks, etc.)...he would hate ALL of it. I'd feel incredibly guilty being in the parks knowing that he's back in the room...it wouldn't be fun for me because I'd just be worrying.* And it basically sounds like you transport them to the resort, and then they only stay in the room or go outside...I just don't get the appeal of taking advantage of this option as a dog owner. :confused3 It seems like a lot of extra work, bringing the crate, dog food, toys, etc. Add to that the fact that the place we board the doggo is $30ish/night, so it doesn't make financial sense (and he LOVES the place we take him). Initially I thought they weren't aiming this at people like me who fly in, but the fact that they included DME in the "accepted transportation" section makes me think that they do in fact anticipate people flying to Disney with their dogs, and that's mind-boggling to me.

*yes I worry about the dog and mother him unbearably, for he is essentially my child. :)

This is the kind of confusion that is going to get people in trouble. I want to be clear I'm not talking specifically about you, I'm just using your post to provide some important information because you brought up 2 very different things in your post. You probably know this already, but a lot of people don't. ESA and Service Dogs are two separate things. I know Service Dogs can also be ESAs, but ESAs are not, by definition Service Dogs. So places where Service Dogs are allowed, ESAs are not. Disney, of course, plays this game somewhat, though every trip I seem to see more ESA animals masquerading as Service Dogs. How do I know? Because tiny stroller dogs don't make Service Dogs. Nor do dogs that are pulling on leashes, looking around at crowds, acting excited, or not being focused on their job. I don't care what the vest someone bought online says. The dogs don't have the size, skills, or temperament. Not all Service Dogs are Goldens or Labs or Shepherds of course, but they do tend to be from the more trainable and sociable breeds.

Disney seems almost afraid to make that distinction these days, allowing more ESAs masquerading as Service Dogs into the Parks. By policy, pets and ESAs are not allowed in proscribed resorts, parks, restaurants, certain transportation and more. Service Dogs, and Service Ponies oddly enough, are allowed in all those areas and I wish Disney would be more diligent about this.

Again, I'm not referencing you specifically here at all, because I don't know you at all or your dog or your situation! I'm just saying, because this is one of those issues that drives me nuts as a dog person. An ESA does not have Service Dog privileges, and if someone is treating an ESA as a Service Dog that person is not only breaking the law, but also doing a disservice to people who really need Service Dogs. ESAs do not necessarily have the training and skills that Service Dogs receive, and are generally not trained and certified to be in a complex, confusing, crowded, loud, unfamiliar, chaotic, and startling environment. Like... say... Disney World. All it takes is one ESA masquerading as a Service Dog going nuts during fireworks to create problems for people that really need to have dogs with them.

Ok. I've thrown my soap box away and we can all go back to discussing the joy of having pets locked in hotel rooms while we run to Chef Mickey's for Character Breakfast, MK for a full day of 3 scheduled FPs, CHH for lunch, whatever FPs are left to gather in the afternoon, a Mickey Bar for dinner, popcorn with the fireworks, one mad dash to 7DMT during the late night parade, and back to clean up the pile of poop Fifi left in the room, and a lack of towels because Housekeeping wouldn't come in.

My Dog actually has Service Dog Privileges and has been trained but again, I do not use or abuse the system and being in NYC I had to go the whole Letter thing to be able to have him in my apartment. but ESA's if you look at the rules to be certified they have to be able to do certain commands. but a lot of places look past that. ie Disney.

Alot of people abuse the system and its HORRIBLE... I question people all the time when they have Tea Cups as ESA's.. I'm like oh really so what does your dog do to help support you? but Im a a$$ like that... lol Most of the time I get the dumb blank stares from people. Like I said my dog can sense my attacks and can also retrieve my medicine. he is also trained to do circles around me to make people stay away if I am overwhelmed with people being around me.

But I totally agree with you.

Also, Why would you want to leave your dog in a strange place locked up in a room while you are out enjoying the parks. So not nice to your family member. Leave them at home with a dog sitter or kennel... gesh.

My Dog actually has Service Dog Privileges and has been trained but again, I do not use or abuse the system and being in NYC I had to go the whole Letter thing to be able to have him in my apartment. but ESA's if you look at the rules to be certified they have to be able to do certain commands. but a lot of places look past that. ie Disney.

Alot of people abuse the system and its HORRIBLE... I question people all the time when they have Tea Cups as ESA's.. I'm like oh really so what does your dog do to help support you? but Im a a$$ like that... lol Most of the time I get the dumb blank stares from people. Like I said my dog can sense my attacks and can also retrieve my medicine. he is also trained to do circles around me to make people stay away if I am overwhelmed with people being around me.

But I totally agree with you.

Also, Why would you want to leave your dog in a strange place locked up in a room while you are out enjoying the parks. So not nice to your family member. Leave them at home with a dog sitter or kennel... gesh.

I hear you. I was hoping you wouldn't take the fact I used your post to make a point as something personal. Nice to be rewarded. You never know on the internet, right?

And yeah, that second paragraph, spot on. I'm on the other side of this. I've got a dog with an MX in Agility, OM# in Obedience, and an RE in Rally, plus the more basic CGCA and CGCU designations, so she's an impeccably trained dog. When she's working. When she's off the clock, she actually doesn't like other dogs, is skeptical of kids, doesn't like being hugged, and really isn't great about being in the car, though she loves the motorhome. We take her camping and we keep a close eye on her, because while she'll respond to a command instantly from anywhere inside 200 yards, if she slides out of sight without a command or a master, she can create quite a bit of mischief and even cause problems with other dogs.

Not that it's allowed, but I wouldn't ever take her inside a Disney Park. And other than a few AKC events with no local campground, we don't stay in hotels either. This is for a dog with hundreds of hours of training and enough sport medals and ribbons to cover a good sized room. Disney is a horribly challenging environment, and people and their ESAs are just asking for trouble. It takes a very special temperament and training. My dog has one and not the other. Very few dogs have both.

As for the dog in hotel business, I completely agree with you. I don't get it for Disney Parks. Wrong kind of vacation to bring the dog.

People aren't dogs and dogs aren't people. People aren't allegic to people and don't have some of the issues with other people that you might with dogs, ie: it would be illegal to leave your child in the room unattended for 7 hours while you go to the park. Adding dogs impacts other people, so it isn't live and let live at all.

Still somehow missing the point completely. As an analogy, it seems that I am saying, "Apples can be good for you," and you are responding with, "That can't be right because bananas are yellow."

Live and let live means you should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others if you want them to tolerate your own- even where the opinions and behaviors of others negatively impact or offend you. There are all kinds of behaviors at WDW that impact our own vacations, but we tolerate them so that others will tolerate ours.

I think Mrs. W and her husband exemplify the live and let live attitude I wish more people had. Well said, Mrs. W.

I don't have strong feelings about this change at all. My husband is allergic to dogs (and cats), but even he shrugged this off. We'll just stay at one of the resorts that are dog free, as long as that lasts.

Wow - I have to say I find most dogs more well behaved then the screaming children and narcissistic parents that frequent WDW. I travel with a service dog who has a crate he is in when not with me. No he does not usually travel with me to WDW because I would not want him at the parks but I can guarantee he is definitely better behaved the 95% of the people who stay at the hotels LOL.

But it is attitudes like those on this board why I would not bring him - that and the people who think my service dog is a personal petty zoo.

Which means the chance that someone WILL be allergic is about (as I said) 48%. Beer Dave, thats what I was talking about, David Hobart is exactly right. Its not as simple as adding up the number of people and the chance.

Use your own logic, if its a 50% chance to flip a coin and get heads, if you flipped two coins, by your logic one would ALWAYS turn up heads 50% + 50%. But of course you know perfectly well that you might flip it 2 or 3 or even 4 times in a row and have it land on heads, but it will become less and less likely the more times in a row you do it. That's how probability like this works. Hope that clarifies.

Absolutely not----and not my logic.... the laws of probability...and they say that when flipping two coins, there are 4 possible outcomes--- hh, ht, tt, th---- with 25% chance for each. Now if you don't look at the coins as individual events, one could look at th and ht as the same result, making that result the highest probability result at 2:1.........

Absolutely not----and not my logic.... the laws of probability...and they say that when flipping two coins, there are 4 possible outcomes--- hh, ht, tt, th---- with 25% chance for each. Now if you don't look at the coins as individual events, one could look at th and ht as the same result, making that result the highest probability result at 2:1.........
You are both right but on different questions. If the question was what are the odds of flipping 4 heads in a row, then the answer is .5 to the 4th. If the question is what is the most common outcome of 4 flips, it would be 50% heads and 50% tails.

Interestingly, the (rounded) distribution of outcomes of 4 coin flips is all heads, 6%; three heads, 25%; two heads and two tails, 38%; three tails 25%; and 4 tails 6%. So an even though two heads and two tails is most common, an outcome that is not two heads and two tails is more likely...

Last edited:
Wow such a really bad idea. I have no problem with guide dogs and the alike but pets that a whole different ball game. We have already stopped going to places which allow dogs on site (hotels and bar/restaurant) and we would not stay where dogs or any animal is allowed to. Also allowing them on the magically express nice. I would assume there will be a lot of waivers having to be signed by the people bringing the dogs? Will people be allowed to change for free there hotel? There wasn't even a push for this stupidity in my eyes.

Wow such a really bad idea. I have no problem with guide dogs and the alike but pets that a whole different ball game. We have already stopped going to places which allow dogs on site (hotels and bar/restaurant) and we would not stay where dogs or any animal is allowed to. Also allowing them on the magically express nice. I would assume there will be a lot of waivers having to be signed by the people bringing the dogs? Will people be allowed to change for free there hotel? There wasn't even a push for this stupidity in my eyes.

I've exchanged with a few people in Facebook chats that have been impacted (i.e.g, already had one of these hotels booked and now want to change due to allergies, etc) and they have been informed that they can change hotels but are responsible for any price difference. Which I think is kinda shotty as Disney is the one that changed the policy so they should be able to move them to comparable accommodations without any cost increase

I've exchanged with a few people in Facebook chats that have been impacted (i.e.g, already had one of these hotels booked and now want to change due to allergies, etc) and they have been informed that they can change hotels but are responsible for any price difference. Which I think is kinda shotty as Disney is the one that changed the policy so they should be able to move them to comparable accommodations without any cost increase

If I was them I'd call back a few times. Seems like each CM I get on the phone has different ideas and different privileges with the system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!