4th of July Week: HHI and AKL

hhisc16

DHHIR owner, DISDAD
After working summer school, we decided to extend our 4th of July trip this year! We had a great time!

July 4-6 at HHI (studio)
July 6-8 at AKL Jambo (standard studio)
It cost 48 points for 4 nights total.

HHI:
We love visiting HHI on 4th of July!
We enjoy the beach, the pools, the resort, and the extras on the 4th. It is busy on the island, but we stay near the resort.
On the 4th, Tide Me Over stays open later, plus the fireworks!
We also saw a military flyover while on the beach, which was cool to see.
This is our home resort, but our summer visits are our favorite here.

Since WDW is only 5 hours from HHI, we wanted to try the drive down.
Luckily, we had a clear drive and stopped at Bucees on the way down for cheaper gas than WDW.

AKL-Jambo:
This is my DD1 favorite resort at WDW. She loves seeing the giraffes.
Luckily for us, our standard view room was on Kudu on the Sunset Savannah!
This trip was last minute planned and we wanted to visit the other DVC resorts with no parks planned.

For the first night, we visited Disney Springs. We were lucky to get into Gideon's with no wait, then we ate at Deluxe Burger, and Marketplace Snacks. I highly recommend all 3 of these!

For the first day, we bussed to MK and rode a boat to eat breakfast as WL. We love this resort, but it is very difficult to get studios.
Then, we bussed to HS and hopped on the Skyliner to EPCOT.
My wife wanted to see BCV and BWV, then we ate at Beaches and Cream for lunch.
We bussed to AK to see if we could get a reservation at Rainforest Cafe, but the wait was too long.
We bussed back to AKL to go to the pool at Jambo for a break/snack (we want to try Kidani pool next trip).
We wanted to see if DD1 would like a character meal, so we bussed to MK then monorailed to BLT for a snack at Contempo Cafe.
The day before at DS, we made a reservation to see the new VGF resort studios at night. Along the way, there was a crazy storm with apparently code 101 called. So we had to wait until the all clear to walk from GF to the new studios.
After this, my wife wanted coconut patties so we rode the monorail to PVB.
To end the night, we rode the monorail back to MK and watched the fireworks from the bus station before heading back to AKL.

On the last day at WDW, we found an AM reservtion for Toppolino's for character breakfast the morning of!
We drove from AKL to RIV and had a great meal at Toppolino's. DD1 was scared of the characters when they visited the table, but loved when they entered and exited the room.

The drive back to SC from RIV had a stop at Bucees for the cheaper gas/afternoon snack.
We put about 1k miles on my truck and about 180 in gas for the entire trip.

For the record, we visited MK, HS, EPCOT, and AK in one day without going in.
In the same day, we rode a Disney bus, boat, Skyliner, and monorail.
Plus we visited HHI, AKL Jambo, CCV, BRV, BCV, BWV, AKL Kidani, BLT, VGF, PVB, and RIV.
(I think the only ones we missed at WDW were OKW and SSR.)

If you ever have an extra day at WDW, I would recommend viewing the DVC resorts and seeing what they have to offer. This helps us decide in the future what we would like at the 7 month mark since we use half our HHI points at HHI and half at WDW.

If you have never visited HHI, I would highly recommend trying it out. As our home resort, we have visited during each season and each season has something different to offer.

Thanks for reading!

This sounds like a trip that would be great for our family! Have taken my son to the parks several times over the years. He’s a teenager now and, loves the resort pools and food as much as the theme parks. We are awaiting ROFR for a small Polynesian contract. I’d love to visit HHI. Your trip sounds like great fun and fits our budget! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter