50A EMS thoughts

jbrostek

DIS Veteran
In my last RV I had a hardwired 50A EMS. With the new RV, I have yet to do anything for surge/low voltage protection. I am highly considering a portable unit this time around.

I would not mind hearing from others if you have any persona experience with them Suge Guard (34951 or 34950), Progressive EMS-PT50X, or new Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO.

Right now I am siding with Progressive, but the Hughes caught my eye with BT connectivity and alerts.

I got the surge guard one baised on others recommendations. They also make hard wired ones if you want to do the work. Mine was 30 amps. I think surge guard and progressive industries is the standerd. Eaither or. Having bt is nice, but for me more bells and whistles is more stuff that can go wrong.

I have the Hughes 50A portable version. The BT connectivity certainly appeases my inner nerd. I was dry camping in my yard for quarantine and it helped me manage my power consumption using 15A plugs.

What I don't like about it is that it's huge, a bit bulky, and has fought me on some pedestals. It also has a big light on the front that illuminates when circuit is closed to the rig. It just says, "hey come steal me".

I'm going to install in the underbelly of the rig when I get time to install a whole rig inverter.

Jack

That's good to know about the Hughes. I been considering going portable just because it might be a little easier to deal with over a hardwire. But theft is a thought to consider and putting another hardwire in might be the way to go. I like the idea of being able to see it, so maybe ill see what the hardwires have done for connectivity nowdays. Worse case I go with a progressive again and the hard wired remote and add it to my panel.

make sure to purchase a lock box if you go with portable, I've had a surge guard for many years.

I decided to take a look at the new rig for hard wire install. It is more then I would want to tackle the way things are set up with the one. So after talking it over with the wife, I went with the Hughs. The second on my list was the newer Surge Gaurd bluetooth till I noticed the monitor was only their own proprietary.

Camping world had it the Hughs really discounted, so I went that route. It has a lock tab on it like the Surge Guard, but I will likely go with the lock box and use my Bolt keyed alike padlocks I have for the truck.

Be a cable or a box this would work. I have two already, one on the utility trailer too.

I run a Progressive Industries HWC50A simple install. I had 6 ga wire left over from an old project around the house. Tech support was quick on the answers when we had an issue. They took care of us no problem. In my trailer, my PDP is in the bedroom, so I stuck the display panel in the closet.

@sirenia88 Had the same in the last unit. I was considering another HW on this one but we decided to go with plug in this time around. So far I like the new unit from Hughs. I will get to test it out at the track this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!