6 Week Old on Dining Reservations?

I have seen parties turned away or given long wait times when they arrive with an infant not on the reservation. The infant has to be counted due to fire codes/ occupancy laws.

There are times it’s less of an issue because the restaurant may only have a table for 8 but not be at or approaching capacity but that’s a gamble and that’s why there may be “success stories” of this working for people (you have no way of knowing how many tables for 4 are filled by parties of 3 for example).

I would try splitting the ADR if you’re not finding a table for 10, and call to let them know you’d like to be seated together or at least adjacent, and that one of the party is a held infant. They will try to accommodate you.

Exactly. What is compounding the problem is that there is free dining going on so the restaurants are often booked soled. They will move on if you are late, and will not accommodate you if yo bring additional people. Disney got wise to the Oooops defense and will assist whenever possible, but not always.

Exactly. What is compounding the problem is that there is free dining going on so the restaurants are often booked soled. They will move on if you are late, and will not accommodate you if yo bring additional people. Disney got wise to the Oooops defense and will assist whenever possible, but not always.

I've noticed they have cut waaaaaay down on the success rate of the "oooops defense." Obviously they want you to have a great visit and will do what they can to make that happen but there is a limit.

I understand that a 6 week old may not need a spot at the table but really what the reservation system is actually looking for is whether or not they can have 10 people in the space at that time. The seating arrangement is immaterial because tables can be added to a booth or pushed together to create seating for a party.

The infant will be 6 months, so will not be able to take another seat. He will be held. We would still be at a table for 8, hence my dilemma.

There is no dilemma. You have to count every human no matter how small. Even babies who you think will be held have to be counted. There is no adult count or child count. There is only a count of how many humans will be at the table. Every human, even small babies.

I also want to warn you, that if you show up with an extra human, no matter how small, you run the risk of the restaurant not being able to seat all of you. And if that happens they will still take the $10 no show fee for each of you. Please make your ADRs for the proper number, which is 9. Not 8.

Have you tried calling? They may be able to help. If the baby is sleeping you may want an extra spot to sit them in the car seat (if you're bring one that attaches to the stroller).

After reading the comments to this OP I am convinced that a good 85% of people in this thread have reading comprehension problems. I am utterly amazed at how many people completely cannot understand what the OP is asking and are giving her answers to a question she didn't ask.

After reading the comments to this OP I am convinced that a good 85% of people in this thread have reading comprehension problems. I am utterly amazed at how many people completely cannot understand what the OP is asking and are giving her answers to a question she didn't ask.

Really? You do realize that while we all try to answer the questions asked, we expand a bit because we know how many people also read the threads, and may need additional information. Disney is very specific in how they address head count. They count each one. Every head, no matter how tiny and no matter where the rest of their bodies sit once inside the restaurant, gets counted. Each and every one. There are consequences if you either do not know that the tiniest head is counted in much the same way as the largest, or that upright people are counted like people tucked in a sling on Mom. None of us can tell these people what the consequence will be if they make an error in head count, but we do want to be sure we at least give then the opportunity to make a change now, so they are not faced with a potentially distressing decision that day.

The best scenario is that the restaurant can accomodate that little addition, however it may not always be possible. Many people have their plans so tight that a 20 minute wait for a seat to accomodate a change throws them off, so what would an hour do? Or perhaps being turned away if one guest does not leave? I do not want to be responsible for knowing I could have made a difference in a family experience by adding some information that others might find annoying. No one will ever know if the OP makes a change or decides to wing it, but I know that I have tried to help. If you have an issue with how we help, you can scroll by, but I find it disrespectful that people who have been very honest and helpful are now being insulted.

Last edited:

I think people completely understand what the OP was asking, despite the numbers being off initially. It's just that they can't give her the answer she wants. It was answered in the first reply. Every human counts. No reading comprehension even needed after that.

Really? You do realize that while we all try to answer the questions asked, we expand a bit because we know how many people also read the threads, and may need additional information. Disney is very specific in how they address head count. They count each one. Every head, no matter how tiny and no matter where the rest of their bodies sit once inside the restaurant, gets counted. Each and every one. There are consequences if you either do not know that the tiniest head is counted in much the same way as the largest, or that upright people are counted like people tucked in a sling on Mom. None of us can tell these people what the consequence will be if they make an error in head count, but we do want to be sure we at least give then the opportunity to make a change now, so they are not faced with a potentially distressing decision that day.

The best scenario is that the restaurant can accomodate that little addition, however it may not always be possible. Many people have their plans so tight that a 20 minute wait for a seat to accomodate a change throws them off, so what would an hour do? Or perhaps being turned away if one guest does not leave? I do not want to be responsible for knowing I could have made a difference in a family experience by adding some information that others might find annoying. No one will ever know if the OP makes a change or decides to wing it, but I know that I have tried to help. If you have an issue with how we help, you can scroll by, but I find it disrespectful that people who have been very honest and helpful are now being insulted.

Exactly. Reading through this whole thread was helpful for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter