7 night vs 9 night Alaska cruise

Hubbard Glacier is what's making me want to take the 9-night cruise. I like that it ends in Victoria, too, as I'd like to go there, as well. We did the 7-night in 2018 and now I'm planning to also book the 9-night tomorrow.

Hubbard Glacier is what's making me want to take the 9-night cruise. I like that it ends in Victoria, too, as I'd like to go there, as well. We did the 7-night in 2018 and now I'm planning to also book the 9-night tomorrow.
It sounds wonderful can’t argue with that... but I got a quote for cat 7a $14,000, 2 adults 1 kid. So sadly will have to pass.
We will book a 7 n sailing, never been to Alaska.

I am thrilled the Wonder will be stopping in Victoria for the 9-day sailing. It is a beautiful city with many family activities and attractions. We will be at Ogden Point (the dock) watching the ship arrive and welcoming everyone!

The 9 night looked awesome. But with a quote of $13,256 for 2 adults in a cat 5B, there is no way I am paying that much! I will be looking at Celebrity and HAL for Alaska.

We cruised round trip out of Vancouver. We flew into Seattle, took the train up to Vancouver and cruised out the next day. We flew home out of Vancouver (had to get back to work).

I was unaware of environmental issues with Princess, but as they are one of only two lines with access to Glacier Bay, personally I would rather see the Glaciers and after having a lovely cruise with them before, I wouldn't hesitate to cruise them again.

What ship/port is the Princes sailing if you don’t mind me asking? I myself would not be opposed to Princess at all, I heard they do Alaska well but was looking for round trip sailing out of Vancouver myself.

I've done 2 of the 7 night cruises to Alaska. They are wonderful if you love scenery and being on the ship. For me, I love one day on the ship and then I want to get out and do something else. The 7 night cruises started with 3 sea days. They only count it as 2 sea days, but it's 3. Lots of people who love cruising were not loving their cruise because it was too cold to hang out and do the outside stuff that they normally do on Bahama cruises. Kids were bored and unsupervised.
It varies year to year. I saw a mom bear and 2 cubs the last week of May on a bus tour in Skagway. Some people saw bears from the train in June at the same port on my next cruise. The bears were far away from the port.

I was told to be careful for bears at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau in June, but I never saw any there.

Bald Eagles, seals, and whales are pretty much around.
July is the most popular and usually the most expensive time to go. I make the assumption that it must be a great time to go.

If you go in May/June you can have a lot more ice if you are into that. September is supposed to be very rainy. I think July is popular because it's warmer and the bears are more out and active generally.
Why would kids be unsupervised were there no kids club hours?

Sitka is a really adorable town and has lots to do walking from port so you won’t need an expensive excursion. They typically only have one small cruise ship a day and have days with no cruises so it’s not as touristy as the other ports. Whether the 9 day is worth the extra price tag is a different question

Can anyone see what the price is for 3 adults in 1 verandah room. Looking at 5a as a possibility but looking for midship verandah! Thanks!

Why would kids be unsupervised were there no kids club hours?
They are allowed to check themselves out of the kids club at a certain age. There were several groups of kids who did that and were fooling around in the restrooms and on the stairways. They were bored and it was cold and often rainy on the outside deck, leaving them to try to find stuff indoors to entertain themselves.

We've never been on a cruise and the Alaskan seems to be the one everyone agrees is a must do. Lots of good information here so far.
I have a few more questions.
Can anyone tell me what are the preferred decks for veranda view cabins and why?
What are the advantages and disadvantages to aft, midship and forward?

Can anyone tell me what are the preferred decks for veranda view cabins and why?
What are the advantages and disadvantages to aft, midship and forward?
Your view will change depending on which deck you are on. If you are higher, you'll have a larger view. I stayed on deck 2 which is not veranda, but I loved being so close to the water when I was looking out my window. I enjoy the public spaces on deck 4 and the top decks for viewing and haven't felt a need for a veranda.

I've never stayed forward because the ship tends to bop up and down a little more in the front. That won't be a big deal to anyone who isn't motion sensitive. Midship is just easier to get to your room as it is in the middle and if you are at the very front (using the spa, working out or being at the adults pool) or are in the very back of the ship (movie theater, many of the restaurants) and you need to stop by your room for a minute, it's just more convenient. Aft often works well for us because it seems like there's less action going on and I like my room to be in a quieter, less explored area. I also don't stay on the decks that have any kids clubs, but if you are traveling with kids who will be going back and forth from club to room, you may want to stay on that deck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter