9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

I agree with Chirple that the seas were nothing to be concerned about -- they were about what I would expect from an Atlantic crossing. There was one night where the closet doors rocked open and closed, and there were several days where walking straight down the hallways was a bit of an amusing challenge, but there were no times where I was worried about the waves. It just felt like we were on a ship on the open ocean, which I rather liked.

I would *love to revisit Cadiz and Lisbon and the Azores. I felt like there was so much more to see and so much more food to eat!! The ports were my favorite part of the trip, but we went off on our own and explored, which might make the difference.

Okay, I might venture back into Lisbon for a custard tart. The one they gave us on our tour with our glass of port was delicious. I enjoyed the ports and think that scenery-wise Ponta Delgada was my favorite.

Finally?? I'm still working on Barcelona... We had 1500+ photo's (the 1579 on our DSLR's and then some on our phones), so I'm working through that will making my photo album('s if I can't fit it in one). It's a pretty slow process...

To be fair I had a huge amount of photos and was very selective!

Thanks, Sarah!

So overall, despite some people getting sick, skipping Newfoundland and the bizarre docking in Cadiz, was it a good itinerary and sailing? Were the seas calm? Would you all do it again?

It was a good one. The seas weren't by any means calm (in fact one of the nights I had a whole load of stuff fly off my cupboard as we were rocking so badly. I wore sickness bands so didn't feel bad but I know quite a few people did. It was definitely more rocky than the southern transatlantics I had been on (well apart from the 2007 one which was extremely rocky).

In all honesty I'm not sure I would do a Northern route again as I think the risk of having ports cancelled is too high. I hadn't even considered not going to Canada as assumed we would still get there. It was very disappointing and I think I'd rather do a route where the ports are more or less guaranteed. I know these things can happen on any route but I think its a lot more likely on these Northern routes.

Still waiting for them to open the 2019 itinerary to see about an EBTA. I know those seas can be pretty rough that time of year, but this past year;s itinerary was awesome and I would love to do that one with those ports.

Count my DH as one of the unlucky ones who got sick. It started two days after Ponta Delgada and he is still coughing. He needed medication but thankfully no hospital. Aside from having to take rest stops while walking he was able to handle New York. The cruise was calm and, as others have stated, there was only one rock and roll night. Even the staff members we talked to the following day said they had trouble sleeping. We had a good time at all the ports we visited and we would all love to visit Barcelona again. We are doing another transatlantic next year with a different cruise line because it is going to Iceland and Greenland (bucket list destinations). Our next Disney cruise will be a Merry Christmas cruise. We had wanted to do the 2018 New York to San Juan but we're not sure how well recovered Puerto Rico will be by then. I would repeat our Panama Canal cruise as it was such a wonderful experience with something special for each of us! I'm now heading over to read Gizmo's trip report!

Count my DH as one of the unlucky ones who got sick. It started two days after Ponta Delgada and he is still coughing. He needed medication but thankfully no hospital

This sounds like what happened to my husband as well. He just finished up his medication early this week (waited a while to see the doctor). We really thought it was allergies between the both of us.

Your next transatlantic ports sound great!

Count my DH as one of the unlucky ones who got sick. It started two days after Ponta Delgada and he is still coughing. He needed medication but thankfully no hospital. Aside from having to take rest stops while walking he was able to handle New York. The cruise was calm and, as others have stated, there was only one rock and roll night. Even the staff members we talked to the following day said they had trouble sleeping. We had a good time at all the ports we visited and we would all love to visit Barcelona again. We are doing another transatlantic next year with a different cruise line because it is going to Iceland and Greenland (bucket list destinations). Our next Disney cruise will be a Merry Christmas cruise. We had wanted to do the 2018 New York to San Juan but we're not sure how well recovered Puerto Rico will be by then. I would repeat our Panama Canal cruise as it was such a wonderful experience with something special for each of us! I'm now heading over to read Gizmo's trip report!

What cruise line? That sounds like a great itinerary.

What cruise line? That sounds like a great itinerary.
The cruise is with Royal Caribbean. It leaves from Copenhagen and ends in Boston. The stops are Denmark, Norway, the Shetland Islands, 2 stops in Iceland including an overnight in Reykjavik, 2 stops in Greenland, and 2 stops in Nova Scotia. DD wishes that it was a Disney cruise but she's excited about seeing her grandparents during our stop in Halifax. One of the reasons we picked this cruise was that it ended in Boston. We had been once before but had stayed outside Boston and this time we aren't going to have a car so we will stay in downtown Boston and will be able to explore at our leisure.

The cruise is with Royal Caribbean. It leaves from Copenhagen and ends in Boston. The stops are Denmark, Norway, the Shetland Islands, 2 stops in Iceland including an overnight in Reykjavik, 2 stops in Greenland, and 2 stops in Nova Scotia. DD wishes that it was a Disney cruise but she's excited about seeing her grandparents during our stop in Halifax. One of the reasons we picked this cruise was that it ended in Boston. We had been once before but had stayed outside Boston and this time we aren't going to have a car so we will stay in downtown Boston and will be able to explore at our leisure.

I love that itinerary! Hits all the ports on my bucket list! Is that in August? It looks like it might be sold out already.

I love that itinerary! Hits all the ports on my bucket list! Is that in August? It looks like it might be sold out already.
Keep checking! When we first started looking in April or May, there were only inside cabins available and then it was listed as sold out before we booked in July. Our travel agent tried numerous times to find out why. She thought maybe it was a charter but when she spoke to Royal Caribbean, she kept getting different answers. All of a sudden, in July there were rooms in every category. Apparently, they were changing the way they took deposits on cruises and while they were working out those issues, the cruise was listed as sold out. It is a very popular cruise but as you have stated in the past, people are always cancelling and then the travel agents will turn back their unsold units. I hope something opens up for you! Maybe we'll see you on board!

@olafLover, from beginning to end it seems like your airlines made you jump through hoops. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, and I would be hopping mad if someone stole my hot chocolate!

Yes, I didn't even tell you they wanted me to pay for our third suitcase on the way back. Because of all the changes, they had the wrong date when the tickets was purchased and the new rules applied. We stood there for half an hour while they were sorting it out (and there was only one other desk, so the line got really long). The flight itself and the transfer was really good, but everything else about that part of the trip was jinxed!

What airline was that again? I am truly sorry your trip had to end on that note -- but glad it got straightened out!

I hate luggage being damaged! I've had two incidents in the last two years (luckily not on this trip) and neither were a quick process. I think one too 3 months and the other just over so I think the airline industry ust likes to make thins very slow. Glad though that you have finally sorted it.

So did any of you book future cruises while onboard?

We thought about it and decided to hold off until our Bermuda cruise this fall to pay for a placeholder in order to have 2 full years to use it. We had a lot of banked DVC points that we needed to use and are taking a number of WDW trips this year. Next year I am trying to convince my husband to do the Backstage Magic ABD or one of the other U.S. based ones (he wants U.S. travel for so I am compromising).

I want to do a trip on the Fantasy since it's the only DCL ship on which we've not cruised (and before the new ships are out).

We thought about it and decided to hold off until our Bermuda cruise this fall to pay for a placeholder in order to have 2 full years to use it. We had a lot of banked DVC points that we needed to use and are taking a number of WDW trips this year. Next year I am trying to convince my husband to do the Backstage Magic ABD or one of the other U.S. based ones (he wants U.S. travel for so I am compromising).

I want to do a trip on the Fantasy since it's the only DCL ship on which we've not cruised (and before the new ships are out).

Sounds like you have some great plans. We loved the Fantasy and were lucky to do all four -- but don't see us being able to afford to do anymore in the future. Hope we can book at least one of the new ships, but we shall see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter