• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If he cannot function as an adult, then yes, AFAIK, DCF can intervene. Especially if his care is being provided by the state, they are responsible for ensuring his well-being. And if the problems are not corrected, they have the power to remove your brother from your mother's care.
How bad is the mobile home? Is it a cleanliness issue or a safety issue? What are the responsibilites of the caregiver? Is she solely to care for your brother's personal needs or does she have other responsibilities?
I'm sure someone will be along who knows FL law better than I. But I would take DCF seriously.

If your brother is considered a "dependant" because he is disabled and can not care for himself then yes DCFS has every right to come in and assets his environment. He (in the eyes of the law) is still a child or dependant because he can not make decisions for himself or take care of himself.
I highly suggest that your mom does WHATEVER they say to do to satisfy there policies. I am not saying they are right I am saying if she does not they will remove him from the home. I wish your mom the best of luck.
(((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))
JenJen

You don't want to cross these people. They think they are God and they think they are the man so to speak. All they have to do is say that the situation is not up to what they think is the situation then they will come in and remove the person child or adult. Then if you pass their inspection then you can expect to see them on a regular basis. They are like a tick once they are there they are hard to get rid of. They did it to my family and they had the same attitude and it was hard to finally get rid of them but we did.

Dan-tot

Good Luck

I don't know about your caregiver or your situation specifically, but in some cases they are expected to perform light household chores.
Have you been able to talk to any one from FEMA about the damage done to the trailor? I think there is a branch at some level (perhaps county) that deals with special needs issues in emergency situations such as hurricanes. I know local emergency services called to verify info. about my son when there was mere threat of a hurricane. I don't know much on the topic to probably even bring it up, but in my experience following possible leads is where I have found assistance.
If I were you I would call your local ARC chapter and explain the situation and get contact numbers and see if they know of any supports. What organization does the caregiver come from? You may see if your county has a Community Support Services organization. They serve the MR community and can be very helpful. A social worker may be able to find resources for you. These are people who should be on your side. Explain to them that you are upset and feel desperate for help.
Good luck.

mlwear said:
I don't know about your caregiver or your situation specifically, but in some cases they are expected to perform light household chores.
Don't have time for a long answer, but wanted to mention that Personal Care Attendants (or Workers, or whatever they are caleed in your state) CAN do light household chores if they are part of the care of the person they are assigned to help.
So, they can do things like his laundry (washing, drying, folding, putting away), dusting and/or vacuuming his room, changing his bedding/making his bed, preparing meals or snacks for him.
They are not allowed to do any of those things for anyone else in the house, but they can help with household chores that are part of his care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter