A 2020 Double PTR: HHN30 & More Updated 6/26-HHN Speculation, Trip Changes, & My Birthday

Tink2Day

DIS Veteran
Looks like you have a great trip planned. Stinks about the flight....

Redondo Beach is one of my favorite places. I always go there whenever we go to California, it just speaks to me more than Malibu, Newport, Venice etc. Love the vibe there.

vrajewski10513

DIS Veteran
HI Raeven!! Excited to read another one of your trip reports. I've been off the boards for quite a bit (had a baby, so didn't have any trips last year) but, I'm looking forward to following along again! We will also be down for HHN the second week in September for a quick long weekend (17th-20th).

• vrajewski10513

DIS Veteran
    Because I already looked at hotel prices, and they seemed cheaper than usual, I booked RPR for our whole trip. (Probably because I looked like a year in advance :rotfl: ). If we add on a night I'm thinking of just adding it on at Aventura. We'll have some Disney days in there too, but I'm not sure when/how many, and if it would be worth it to book at a Disney hotel during that time so I'm just keeping the reservation at RPR for now. We can obviously go back and forth, and if it's only 2-3 days that might work out fine.
    Did you check back for APH rates? I was just able to get Endless Summer Dockside with an APH discount for September.

Bull & Bear
    The food there looks phenomenal! I definitely want to try and get there in the near future.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Looks like you have a great trip planned. Stinks about the flight....
    I'm excited! Although we've made some changes to the trip...I've been meaning to post on here but I wanted to get everything all set first. The flight thing was a headache, but at least it worked out. Now I just have to hope when we book our September flights that the same thing doesn't happen again. :confused3

HI Raeven!! Excited to read another one of your trip reports. I've been off the boards for quite a bit (had a baby, so didn't have any trips last year) but,
    Hi! Thanks for following along and congrats!

I'm looking forward to following along again! We will also be down for HHN the second week in September for a quick long weekend (17th-20th).
    Yay I'm glad you're back! Maybe we'll see each other!

Did you check back for APH rates? I was just able to get Endless Summer Dockside with an APH discount for September.
    Yeah I've been checking every so often there's nothing for RPR and my dates yet, but the rate we got was so low for our time period that I'm not sure the AP one will be better. (I've always had trouble getting AP rates at RPR in the past the rooms so quickly and the really expensive suites are often the only thing left).

The food there looks phenomenal! I definitely want to try and get there in the near future.
    Me too! I really hope we finally make it there in Sep.

:wave2:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Cali Trip-9 weeks
    HHN/Disney Trip-29 weeks

Hey guys, long time no post!

I didn't mean to abandon this PTR for a month, but truthfully we weren't sure of our plans yet, and I didn't want to do something like say change all of our plans completely and then do it again. :rotfl:

I did tell you I was about as indecisive as Chidi in The Good Place, right?

It's hard to stick with just one option for me when something else sounds good. :laughing:

My dad also broke & dislocated his ankle on the ice so I've been over there more after his surgery. But he's maneuvering himself around the best he can, and the cast comes off this week! (And the boot goes on, but he'll be a little more mobile).

April Trip

So as I was saying, we changed everything for our April trip, even the week!

Ok, let's rewind to a month ago...

What ended up happening with LA/Disneyland is that things kept coming up on our planned theme park days. (Like Dapper Day was on a day we planned to be there). So while I thought the crowds would be smaller after Easter, I began to think we had picked a week that was just too close to spring break time. We also went there at the same time of year last year, and I'd really like to go back around Christmas or Halloween, but we had decided when we first planning that we didn't want to do both trips near the end of the year because we're planning on moving. So I think we might save this trip for next year. We'll see if we actually end up doing it on the holidays or earlier, but that's the plan right now.

All the festivals and events in Orlando at this time of year started to look really tempting. So I talked to Josh about it, and we ended up agreeing, but we also wanted to add something different to the trip. So we talked about doing the first 3 days in Chicago or maybe somewhere else. Josh said he'd like to go to Chicago, which I was excited about because I've wanted to bring him there ever since I went with Jenna, and there were so many places we hadn't got to. I've been hoping to do a weekend trip or add it onto a trip for awhile now, but the flight prices were usually too much to just stop there. With the recent Disney ticket increases we also tossed around the idea of doing Miami for a few days instead of the theme parks, but decided that might be too much in one trip.

Flights & Time off: So something I'd said when planning this trip was that if we would've been going to Orlando instead of LA, I'd have never picked a week that's basically in the middle of April. Flights were also cheaper the following week (flights home were so expensive the week we had that we didn't have any choices for a flight home), and everything we wanted to go to was the next week. So we both were able to switch our weeks relatively easily at work.

I was also able to reschedule our flights to include a morning flight to Chicago, a nighttime flight from Chicago to Orlando (coming from Chicago also gave us way more choices in flights as most the ones that were cancelled from our airport were the nonstop flights we usually take), and the flight home (though it's a little later than I'd ideally like, I think we've done a flight that late before) for less than our flights to Cali.

Hotel: When I came up with this plan booking hotels was the first thing I looked at. At 3 months out, there weren't a ton of choices left, and I knew they'd only get more expensive from there. Chicago was easy (as I don't really think that's a crazy time of year for them), and all the hotels were around the same price. We booked the Hyatt Centric Mag Mile since it's near a lot of things we want to do, had good reviews, and I'm a Hyatt member. Then I flipped the Disney and Universal portions around, and experimented with days until I found a good deal.

The first 2 nights we were able to book the Gran Destino through Orbitz. (With a coupon code and some points I already had on there it was a pretty good deal). I'm excited for Josh to see the hotel because I loved it. We were also able to grab Royal Pacific for the remaining nights for a good price with our AP rate.

Tickets: The only thing we've bought tickets for so far is a comedy show Josh wants to see at the Hard Rock. If I want to make FP's in a timely way though I do have to buy Disney tickets in the next few days. I do also want to buy tickets to the Wndr Museum in Chicago ahead of time (a pop up museum with reserved time slots), tickets to Seaworld, and tickets to an after hours event at Magic Kingdom.

Attractions:

In Chicago: shopping on the Magnificent Mile, Wndr Museum, Skydeck, Shedd Aquarium (I went there last time and I know Josh would love it), the Field Museum, Navy Pier, and the Writer's Museum.

You obviously can guess what attractions we'll be doing in Florida so I wanted to add in some new ideas. I'd like to do a Magic Kingdom after hours event. I did the Villains themed one last year with Samantha, and I'd like to try the regular one. (The new Villain one doesn't fit into our schedule, but I don't think I'd do it again for the cost). But I do like the after hours events, and I think they're perfect for us since I'm more of a night owl anyway. I'd like to go to Flower and Garden, but I'm debating if we should get a parkhopper ticket or not. I'd like to ride the new Runaway Railway ride, but I think getting a FP for that is a long shot. I've also thought maybe we can finally do one of the mini golf courses and maybe rent one of the small boats since we've never done either of those things before.

We have AP's to Universal and will be staying onsite so we'll definitely spend time there. In Orlando we've also talked about doing Top Golf, and I'd like to try the Halloween themed bar, Cocktails and Screams, in downtown Orlando. Seaworld having their Food & Wine Festival was another motivator. We went to the one in San Diego last year, and I really liked it, but there's definitely more to do at the Orlando park, and both parks have completely different menus.

I'm also thinking maybe we'll rent a car and do Tampa/St Pete's for a day. In St Pete's we'd probably go to the beach and check out the Dali Museum or Sunken Garden. And in Tampa I'd like to go to the Riverwalk. One of my favorite movies is Springbreakers which was filmed in that area (although most the locations have closed over the years), so I'd like to take a picture in one of the places they filmed. We've also thought about doing Busch Gardens, but that would be a whole day itself, so I think we might hold off on that for now.

Dining:

Chicago: Brunch Restaurant, Wilde's, Frontera Grill (the only repeat from my last trip), Steak 48, Wheat's End, Giordanos, and Jojo's Milk Bar.

Orlando: As usual I have a running list of places to eat in Orlando that I have to narrow down, so I'll just mention a few. At Disney, obviously Flower & Garden, Space 220 if it's open, it's been awhile since we did Homecomin', I'd like to check out the Dahila Lounge and the Enchanted Rose.

I've also been very tempted to try a place people think is bad like Tony's and see just how bad it is :rotfl: (Josh thinks this is a silly idea, but I think it's a magnificent one for a review).

In Universal, I'd like to try Confisco Grille's new menu, we also haven't been to Antojitos or Margaritaville in a couple years, maybe Islands breakfast, and Green Eggs and Ham (if it's still open).
    Around Orlando, we still want to eat at Bull and Bear, but we might keep that in September still. I also have Toasted on our list, and in Tampa the Tampa Armature Works.

My general plan so far is a work in progress but here's the rough outline:

Fri-Sun-Chicago
    Mon/Tues-WDW
    Wed-Universal
    Thurs-Universal or Tampa/St Pete's
    Fri-Seaworld/Comedy show
    Sat-Disney Springs or Universal

September Trip

No updates for September, but I do think the first HHN announcement is right around the corner since the first one last year came at the end of Feb.

Last edited:
  • schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
    Glad to see you back Raeven!!! And some nice changes in there...

Chicago is somewhere I’d never think to visit (cold) :rotfl:but sounds like there is an awful lot to see.......and can recommend Confisco new menu!! Like it an awful lot......I do like the sound of your plans.....

And best wishes to your dad! Glad to hear he’ll be in a boot soon and be more mobile. He’ll have been so glad for all the help you’ve given him I’m sure.......:thumbsup2

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
    My dad also broke & dislocated his ankle on the ice so I've been over there more after his surgery. But he's maneuvering himself around the best he can, and the cast comes off this week! (And the boot goes on, but he'll be a little more mobile).
    Yikes sorry to hear that! Hope he has a quick and easy recovery!

I'd like to try the Halloween themed bar, Cocktails and Screams, in downtown Orlando.
    That's on my list too.

I'm also thinking maybe we'll rent a car and do Tampa/St Pete's for a day.
    Oo that sounds nice. A friend of mine goes to St Pete's once a year and it looks beautiful.

Fri-Sun-Chicago
    Mon/Tues-WDW
    Wed-Universal
    Thurs-Universal or Tampa/St Pete's
    Fri-Seaworld/Comedy show
    Sat-Disney Springs or Universal
    Looks like a great trip! I can't wait to hear about Chicago. It's on my list to go one day too.

Tracy161

DIS Veteran
    Oh no :guilty: I'm glad that he'll be out of his cast soon! Hope his recovery is fast :goodvibes

So as I was saying, we changed everything for our April trip, even the week!
    :scared1::rotfl:

I've also been very tempted to try a place people think is bad like Tony's and see just how bad it is :rotfl:
    Yes! I love this idea. And maybe you'll be super surprised and start off a new trend of everyone rushing for that used-to-be-bad restaurant :laughing::thumbsup2 Anxious to hear more about your Chicago portion as it approaches... I have only been once - and it was a work trip, so a limited amount of time to explore - but I loved Chicago so much and I'd love to get back someday ::yes::

amalone1013

DIS Veteran
    Eeeeeee right around the corner for HHN!! We just narrowed down our dates this past week and DH talked to his boss and got the all clear.

I did some serious digging on doing a short weekend next month, just to do a day at SW for their food festival and the concert that night, and the other time at Uni bc of our APs, but I couldn't handle the flights being last minute-ish for prime spring break time. I'm glad you were able to switch your PTO to the better week! And your Chicago ideas sound fun! I want to plan a trip to Chicago now!

Hope your dad's recovery goes well!!

• J'aime Paris

Living happily ever after
    Your plan change sounds great!
    Glad your dad is on the mend!

Chicago is not too far from me (Milwaukee area)...have a blast!!

We went to Top Golf in Las Vegas and had an awesome time!! Hopefully the Orlando location is fun too!

Monykalyn

DIS Veteran
    Following along!
    We are Supernatural fans as well, and that weekend has been our usual HHN weekend for past couple years. But my usual travel companion-my middle DD-starts college this fall and I don't know what dates will work for her yet!! It has been our annual Mom/daughter trip for her bday. But DH is tired of hearing about Food& Wine and HHN so he got Uni and Disney Ap's in January and I'm thinking he might want to go too, or a different long weekend.

Love Chicago! Have been several times, favorite deep dish pizza is Lou Malnetti's though. Beats pants off Giordano and Gino's East (although thin crust is good at Gino's). If not too cold/windy-consider an architectural boat tour-we did one with a bar (of course) and it was so interesting and fun. We did it in July an hour before sunset, and the setting sun off the buildings is gorgeous from the river.

Hope the parental unit's bones are healing speedily!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Glad to see you back Raeven!!! And some nice changes in there...
    Glad to be back! :wave2:

Chicago is somewhere I’d never think to visit (cold) :rotfl:but sounds like there is an awful lot to see.......and can recommend Confisco new menu!! Like it an awful lot......I do like the sound of your plans.....
    Haha, we're hoping it's warmed up a little when we go. There is A LOT to do there! I'm very curious to try Confisco it looks good.

And best wishes to your dad! Glad to hear he’ll be in a boot soon and be more mobile.
    Thank you!

Yikes sorry to hear that! Hope he has a quick and easy recovery!
    Aw thank you!

That's on my list too.
    Ooo yay, it looks amazing! I've looked at Joysticks before and it seemed cool, but the Halloween theme works even better for me.

Oo that sounds nice. A friend of mine goes to St Pete's once a year and it looks beautiful.
    Yeah if we do get away from Orlando that's where we'll go, I've heard the beaches are very pretty.

Looks like a great trip! I can't wait to hear about Chicago. It's on my list to go one day too.
    It's really fun there! We didn't get to a ton of places the last time I went, but Shedd Aquarium was my favorite.

Oh no :guilty: I'm glad that he'll be out of his cast soon! Hope his recovery is fast :goodvibes
    Thank you! It's been progressing along, but not fast enough for his liking :rotfl:

Yes! I love this idea. And maybe you'll be super surprised and start off a new trend of everyone rushing for that used-to-be-bad restaurant :laughing::thumbsup2 Anxious to hear more about your Chicago portion as it approaches... I have only been once - and it was a work trip, so a limited amount of time to explore - but I loved Chicago so much and I'd love to get back someday ::yes::
    I just think it's such a fun idea for reviews :rotfl: especially because I don't think anything at Disney would be crazy bad. That's how I felt about Chicago too! I can't wait to see how many things we get to over the weekend we're there.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Eeeeeee right around the corner for HHN!! We just narrowed down our dates this past week and DH talked to his boss and got the all clear.
    I'm so excited!!

I did some serious digging on doing a short weekend next month, just to do a day at SW for their food festival and the concert that night, and the other time at Uni bc of our APs, but I couldn't handle the flights being last minute-ish for prime spring break time. I'm glad you were able to switch your PTO to the better week!
    Ah the weekends were tough price-wise (especially since all the flights that were priced well seemed to be the ones that got cancelled). I really wished I could do a Mardi Gras weekend at Universal, but it was too much. I wish you were going to Seaworld when we were! (But our weekend didn't have a very good concert from what I remember).

Hope your dad's recovery goes well!!
    Thank you!

Your new plans sound great!
    Thank you, I'm excited!

Your plan change sounds great!
    Glad your dad is on the mend!
    Thank you on both counts!

Chicago is not too far from me (Milwaukee area)...have a blast!!
    Yes that's true! That's actually part of why I went there with my friend a couple years ago. She lived in that area, and we were trying to pick a trip that wasn't a far flight for either of us. Thank you!

We went to Top Golf in Las Vegas and had an awesome time!! Hopefully the Orlando location is fun too!
    They look fun! And Orlando's has some really delicious looking food!

Following along!
    Thanks for following! :wave2:

We are Supernatural fans as well, and that weekend has been our usual HHN weekend for past couple years. But my usual travel companion-my middle DD-starts college this fall and I don't know what dates will work for her yet!! It has been our annual Mom/daughter trip for her bday. But DH is tired of hearing about Food& Wine and HHN so he got Uni and Disney Ap's in January and I'm thinking he might want to go too, or a different long weekend.
    If you get to go that weekend maybe we'll see you at the convention or HHN!

Love Chicago! Have been several times, favorite deep dish pizza is Lou Malnetti's though. Beats pants off Giordano and Gino's East (although thin crust is good at Gino's). If not too cold/windy-consider an architectural boat tour-we did one with a bar (of course) and it was so interesting and fun. We did it in July an hour before sunset, and the setting sun off the buildings is gorgeous from the river.
    I'll have to look at those! I'm open to other pizza ideas they just have to have gluten free ones for Josh.

Hope the parental unit's bones are healing speedily!
    Thank you! :laughing:

DLo

DIS Veteran
    My SIL lives in Chicago and we love visiting. So many things to do and great places to eat. Staying on mag mile will be great for walking everywhere . Hugo’s Frog bar is a of favorite ours but on the pricey side . My SIL recommends Eataly. Original Pancake house for breakfast - yum . There are so many places hard to narrow it down

I am in St Pete right now . We stay downtown and there are so many amazing local restaurants. Beautiful here . It doesn’t look like you are there on a Friday but the first Friday of every month they block some of the streets and have bands playing . Fun ! I have only gone to the aquarium in Tampa so don’t know much about there. ( I can’t recommend the aquarium as I thought it was small but I live in Atlanta where there is an amazing one ) I haven’t been to Busch Gardens since I was little but on my to do list.

looks like some good changes and you will have a great vacation .

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    My SIL lives in Chicago and we love visiting. So many things to do and great places to eat. Staying on mag mile will be great for walking everywhere . Hugo’s Frog bar is a of favorite ours but on the pricey side . My SIL recommends Eataly. Original Pancake house for breakfast - yum . There are so many places hard to narrow it down
    There are! Yeah, I stayed on the Mag Mile last time I went and I really liked it. We didn't get to do as much shopping as I wanted to then so hopefully we will this time :rotfl: I did look at Eataly too there's so many choices!

I am in St Pete right now . We stay downtown and there are so many amazing local restaurants. Beautiful here . It doesn’t look like you are there on a Friday but the first Friday of every month they block some of the streets and have bands playing . Fun !
    Ooo fun! It looks beautiful from what I've seen. But no unfortunately Friday is one of the only days we can't go because we have tickets to a comedy show that night and the show is on Citywalk.

I have only gone to the aquarium in Tampa so don’t know much about there. ( I can’t recommend the aquarium as I thought it was small but I live in Atlanta where there is an amazing one ) I haven’t been to Busch Gardens since I was little but on my to do list.
    The aquarium was somewhere I considered, but since we're doing the Shedd in Chicago I dropped it as an idea since I had a feeling it wouldn't compare. But I'm glad to hear what you thought of it for future plans. Busch has always been on my "maybe someday" list because I know I won't ride any of the coasters, but the animal interactions look cool. I know they also have a Halloween event that a lot of people like, but I like HHN so much that I don't think we'd want to sacrifice one of those nights.

looks like some good changes and you will have a great vacation .
    I hope so!

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
    I'd like to ride the new Runaway Railway ride, but I think getting a FP for that is a long shot.
    Sorry to say but yeah...probably a long shot. I keep checking back to see if anything opened up on our trip but no go. Also I'm hearing it's not a good one to even try to Rope Drop because it's so close to the entrance of HS. Sadly for me anyway this one may have to wait until I can actually stay at a Disney resort and have a shot at an FP for it...sigh...

Love your trip plans...Chicago is such a fun city, love it there. There are so many great restaurants - I love the ones that have a river view.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Sorry to say but yeah...probably a long shot. I keep checking back to see if anything opened up on our trip but no go. Also I'm hearing it's not a good one to even try to Rope Drop because it's so close to the entrance of HS. Sadly for me anyway this one may have to wait until I can actually stay at a Disney resort and have a shot at an FP for it...sigh...

Love your trip plans...Chicago is such a fun city, love it there. There are so many great restaurants - I love the ones that have a river view.
    So we ended up deciding on the one day no park hopper, but I looked yesterday and MMRR still had 2 Fps! I ended up grabbing one in case we decided to do HS. And instead of renting a car and going somewhere else for a day I think we may just add one more day to the Disney tickets so we can do Epcot & HS. That was what I originally wanted to do, so I think we’ll just leave going outside Orlando for our non HHN days in September.

Thank you! I’m excited for Chicago!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS