A 2021 PTR: HHN30 & More Updated 9/23 Denver Mini TR Pt 1 Travel Day

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
Well by now we've all heard the news that HHN is officially cancelled this year.
I'm so sorry to hear this. But....not a huge surprise unfortunately. You are lucky you still get to travel some though....I'm getting so desperate to go anywhere that I'm considering doing some more travel within Canada. Which hey, probably something more Canadians should do anyway, seeing more of our own country. Right now even that is pretty restricted for us...and people are getting their cars egged for going into different provinces when people see their licence plates....so....not sure about that either....

Chicago is amazing though, always a fun trip. I'm sure you have done this but have you gone on the architectural boat tour? I really loved that and recommend to anyone, I may have even said that to you before lol but just in case I haven't!!

I'm sure when HHN comes back it will be better than ever!

Jules76126

Practically Perfect in Every Way
Hello. I have been a lurker, but I have to say I feel you on trips getting canceled. My husband and I had a bunch of different trips we were planning and we have had to cancel all of them. I actually live right outside Boston and we have decided just to go to Cape Cod for a few days so we don't have to deal with any quarantine orders. We could isolate for 14 days as we are both WFH right now, but prefer not to have to deal with that.

Boston is very strict right now. You cannot walk anywhere without a mask. Since we live outside the city, it is a little more lax, but Boston is being very tight. Many times are open now with limited capacity and lots of restaurants have outdoor seating, including turning sidewalks into patios. Good thing here is everyone is pretty compliant with the measures. I don't see Baker restricting NY or other New England states unless things got really bad. I hope you enjoy wherever you end up.

• Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I'm so sorry to hear this. But....not a huge surprise unfortunately.
    No it wasn't too big of a surprise for me.

You are lucky you still get to travel some though....I'm getting so desperate to go anywhere that I'm considering doing some more travel within Canada.
    Well it's still all up in the air until right before we go, but I'd be very happy if we did get to travel somewhere. This general area isn't my ideal vacation, but we just don't have the time to quarantine coming back from anywhere else.

Right now even that is pretty restricted for us...and people are getting their cars egged for going into different provinces when people see their licence plates....so....not sure about that either....
    Oh wow, that seems a little much.

Chicago is amazing though, always a fun trip. I'm sure you have done this but have you gone on the architectural boat tour? I really loved that and recommend to anyone, I may have even said that to you before lol but just in case I haven't!!
    I'd love to go! Sadly, they just added Illinois to our list of places we can't go without quarantining so I'm not so sure it's an option anymore. They weren't doing badly before so maybe it'll go off the list, but I'm not sure. A boat tour of some sort was an idea I had, but I wasn't sure if they were all still running or would be on our dates yet.

Hello. I have been a lurker, but I have to say I feel you on trips getting canceled.
    Hi :wave2: it's been a very disappointing year for trip planning. I'm sorry you had to cancel yours too.

I actually live right outside Boston and we have decided just to go to Cape Cod for a few days so we don't have to deal with any quarantine orders.
    We'd be driving so we'd maybe go to Boston and some other areas. Cape Cod is one of our ideas! I hope you have fun!

Boston is very strict right now. You cannot walk anywhere without a mask
    Even outside? It's pretty strict here too.

Many times are open now with limited capacity and lots of restaurants have outdoor seating, including turning sidewalks into patios
    Yeah, I saw that when I started looking. I'd really have to pay attention to times when picking restaurants. I'd probably try to go for restaurants where we can make reservations.

I don't see Baker restricting NY or other New England states unless things got really bad. I hope you enjoy wherever you end up.
    Yeah, I don't see that happening either. I've also thought of looking at NJ because we're in that agreement with them regarding quarantines so I don't think that would close to us either.

I'm sorry about HHN and no Orlando trips for this year :( But hopefully Chicago or Boston will pan out!
    Aw yeah I know it's sad :sad: but thank you! Hopefully something works out :laughing: I guess we really won't know till the last minute.

Tracy161

DIS Veteran
    Ugh, what a bummer about HHN, but I'm glad you took the news better than expected given you had suspected it for a while. I still cannot believe this is our reality, even many months into this pandemic. LOVE the pics of the arboretum though! (that's the reason for me "loving" your post... NOT because of the trip cancellation ;) ) Looks absolutely beautiful!

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
    Even though it's no surprise that HHN was cancelled, I'm still sad about it lol.

I agree with you though- it would stink if the event still went on and we couldn't go so that is one positive.

We have a bunch of flight credits now too lol hopefully we can all use them in 2021!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    but I'm glad you took the news better than expected given you had suspected it for a while.
    Yeah, I was pretty sure that was what they'd have to do for HHN, but wasn't sure because it looked like the event was going ahead.

I still cannot believe this is our reality, even many months into this pandemic
    Me too.

LOVE the pics of the arboretum though! (that's the reason for me "loving" your post... NOT because of the trip cancellation ;) ) Looks absolutely beautiful!
    Thank you!

[/QUOTE]
    Even though it's no surprise that HHN was cancelled, I'm still sad about it lol.

I agree with you though- it would stink if the event still went on and we couldn't go so that is one positive.
    Yeah it is sad, but I think I would've felt worse knowing it was going on but we couldn't go.

We have a bunch of flight credits now too lol hopefully we can all use them in 2021!
    We probably won't end up using any at all this year. We still have flights to Chicago booked, but it looks like that may be out now so all our 2021 flights will probably be paid for :rotfl:

• vrajewski10513

DIS Veteran
    I’m glad they decided to cancel. I just don’t see how they could have safely ran that event on the state Florida is in right now. I feel awful for the TMs who have been laid off due to the cancellation. We had already decided we were taking the year off, so selfishly, I’m glad we won’t be missing anything this year.

I don't know what that means for the IPs they had and it's probably too early to speculate, but Beetlejuice was what I was looking forward to the most. (I really like Hill House, but I'm not sure how relevant that'll be by next year? I know they're doing another season with a different ghost story so maybe it's still possible. But I did really like the first season).
    I have to imagine that the licensing agreements have expiration dates and will need to be renegotiated if they want to use them next year. I don’t see them using Hill House as a stand alone next year, but possibly as a hybrid house with Hill House and Blythe Manor (like they did with AHS). I love Hill House, so i have high hopes for Blythe Manor!

I've been doing more trip planning and research on our backup trip ideas. Right now we're leaning towards Chicago unless quarantine rules change. There seems to be more open, and more we want to do. In Boston a lot of restaurants still seem closed, and right now we're one of the only states allowed in without quaranting, but that can change if numbers do
    It’s so hard right now to be a NYer trying to travel anywhere.. more so just to come home.. 75% of the country is under travel quarantine when we return home! We’ve been trying to find things within NYS that would be fun long weekend type trips.
    Good luck! I hope you guys find somewhere fun to visit!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I’m glad they decided to cancel. I just don’t see how they could have safely ran that event on the state Florida is in right now. I feel awful for the TMs who have been laid off due to the cancellation. We had already decided we were taking the year off, so selfishly, I’m glad we won’t be missing anything this year.
    Yeah, I didn't see a way they could either. It looked for awhile like it might be going forward, but I guess maybe they just wanted to be prepared for either outcome.

I have to imagine that the licensing agreements have expiration dates and will need to be renegotiated if they want to use them next year. I don’t see them using Hill House as a stand alone next year, but possibly as a hybrid house with Hill House and Blythe Manor (like they did with AHS). I love Hill House, so i have high hopes for Blythe Manor!
    Yeah, I sadly don't see them using just Hill House so I hope that's what they do. I really want to see Hill House there still!

It’s so hard right now to be a NYer trying to travel anywhere.. more so just to come home.. 75% of the country is under travel quarantine when we return home! We’ve been trying to find things within NYS that would be fun long weekend type trips.
    Good luck! I hope you guys find somewhere fun to visit!
    Yeah, that's the problem. I think there's 31+ states we can't go to now or else we have to quarantine coming back. But some states you also need to quarantine going in. I feel like we've already exhausted things we had to do in NY and we don't want to go to NYC. Right now it's down to MA and NJ, but maybe Chicago if things improve there.

Monykalyn

DIS Veteran
    Bummer about HHN but when Craig did the Unplugged show about it-I agree with him. I want to go and NOT have a diminished experience-and I will wait for the full experience next year.
    And so the flight credits rack up again...my original flights on one airline were outright cancelled a few days before the HHn announcement so I made bookings on another airline as prices were better and days fit better-and now i cancelled those too.

Still moving the kiddo into UCF in a couple weeks so we will be in Florida anyway and will probably go to Universal a couple days. With the low crowds it's better there than local grocery store!

Hope you get a getaway somewhere!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Bummer about HHN but when Craig did the Unplugged show about it-I agree with him. I want to go and NOT have a diminished experience-and I will wait for the full experience next year.
    And so the flight credits rack up again...my original flights on one airline were outright cancelled a few days before the HHn announcement so I made bookings on another airline as prices were better and days fit better-and now i cancelled those too.

Still moving the kiddo into UCF in a couple weeks so we will be in Florida anyway and will probably go to Universal a couple days. With the low crowds it's better there than local grocery store!

Hope you get a getaway somewhere!
    Yeah I do want the 30th to be special. I would’ve tried to go to it if they had it this year even if it was diminished, but I’m glad they’ll be able to do it justice next year.

We had bought flights for 3 different trips, so lots of flight credits :rotfl:

Ooo that sounds fun! & I hope so too! Still looking at places, but I’m not sure how good the probability of going anywhere is looking right now. It’s going to be really last minute when we know for sure since everything changes everyday.

• Monykalyn

DIS Veteran

Yeah I do want the 30th to be special. I would’ve tried to go to it if they had it this year even if it was diminished, but I’m glad they’ll be able to do it justice next year.

We had bought flights for 3 different trips, so lots of flight credits :rotfl:

Ooo that sounds fun! & I hope so too! Still looking at places, but I’m not sure how good the probability of going anywhere is looking right now. It’s going to be really last minute when we know for sure since everything changes everyday.
    Where do you fly from?
    If you listened to Dis Unplugged this week (i think it was this week-things are blending) you heard Silver Dollar City was in top ten amusement parks. Fall is gorgeous here, and Christmas season at SDC is really spectacular-although it can be cold! We haven't had passes to SDC in a few years (got caught up in the disney AP/Universal AP) but would like to get back during Christmas season.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Where do you fly from?
    Albany.

If you listened to Dis Unplugged this week (i think it was this week-things are blending) you heard Silver Dollar City was in top ten amusement parks. Fall is gorgeous here, and Christmas season at SDC is really spectacular-although it can be cold! We haven't had passes to SDC in a few years (got caught up in the disney AP/Universal AP) but would like to get back during Christmas season.
    I didn't, but I've heard about Silver Dollar City before. It was something we've looked at, but sadly that's also one of the states we can't go to. I hope you get to go though, it sounds really cool!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Denver/Boston Trip-4 weeks
    First 2021 Trip-9 months

Trip Planning

Since I've last posted Chicago is now out as an option for us.

I was disappointed because that was the idea I had planned for the most thoroughly since we had been planning to go earlier this year. And because we had wanted to go previously we had a lot of things we were excited about doing there. I had everything booked, and I waited a bit to see if things improved; but I've started to cancel everything.

Right now we're looking at Denver, with the possibility that, that may have to change last minute. Out of the ideas I researched, it ended up being our favorite and had a lot of attractions we were excited about.

Our backup ideas are Connecticut, Boston/Salem, or some combination of the two. If we go on a roadtrip to one of those places we may also go to a few places in our state along the way. I haven't booked basically anything yet because I'm still looking at places. (Though I may book the flight and hotel for Denver tonight). So it feels weird to be so close to a trip, and not have much planned.

Because of the timing of our trip there's not many other Halloween events going on (and even if it were later I'm not sure there would be anyway) which is kind of disappointing because when we go to FL everything for Halloween is already started by then which is why we usually choose that week. But Denver does have a haunted house that looks like it may open our 2nd weekend, Salem has Halloween stuff year round, and in NY the Great Jack O Lantern Blaze also starts the second weekend so we'll try to get some Halloween in! (Also I think we'll try to get to the Jack O Lantern Blaze even if we don't go that weekend, because I've wanted to go for awhile).

I don't really have any photos from the last few weeks because I've mostly just been working, but I do think in the next few weeks we might take a little trip to the beach.

Last edited:

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
    A little trip is better than no trip and I'm jealous of anyone travelling anytime soon!! Denver looks really beautiful, I've only passed through its airport, but the views were great!! I look forward to hearing about it if you get to go! Otherwise your backup plans look pretty fun too, I think any Halloween stuff anywhere will be new and different and also something great to look forward to!!

Raeven

DIS Veteran

Denver looks really beautiful, I've only passed through its airport, but the views were great!!
    It does! We passed through the airport last year, but didn't get to see anything else.

Otherwise your backup plans look pretty fun too,
    Yes!

I think any Halloween stuff anywhere will be new and different and also something great to look forward to!!
    Hopefully we get to see something Halloween!

Tracy161

DIS Veteran
    Ugh, I'm really sorry to hear about Chicago but I'm confident you'll find something fun to do... somewhere :upsidedow I haven't been to Salem in many years but remember really loving it when I did go. Halloween just won't seem the same this year, that's for sure! :headache: But we'll focus on the "I'm going on vacation" part of your update :thumbsup2

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Ugh, I'm really sorry to hear about Chicago but I'm confident you'll find something fun to do... somewhere :upsidedow I haven't been to Salem in many years but remember really loving it when I did go. Halloween just won't seem the same this year, that's for sure! :headache: But we'll focus on the "I'm going on vacation" part of your update :thumbsup2
    Me too! I'm sure we'll find something wherever we go. The last time we went to Salem we went in Oct which was a poor choice because it was really crowded. But if we go in Sep, I'm thinking it'll be a little better. I'll miss HHN, but for Halloween we don't typically do much besides watch horror movies so that's mostly the same :rotfl: Hopefully some Halloween events open up.

Monykalyn

DIS Veteran
    Bummed about Chicago but Denver is nice back up plan!
    Salem sounds pretty neat too.
    So hard to make definitive plans right now, and frustrating.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS