Delete Thread

The next time you're at Shula's you HAVE to get the chocolate souffle. It is delicious. Most signature restaurants are lacking in the desserts but this one is really good!

The next time you're at Shula's you HAVE to get the chocolate souffle. It is delicious. Most signature restaurants are lacking in the desserts but this one is really good!

I’ve had it before! It’s really good :thumbsup2 I usually end up too full for dessert there though haha

Bartaco

For our first meal in Tampa, I chose Bartaco. I'd heard a lot of good things about Bartaco. There's one in Orlando too. And I'd been meaning to try it so I thought it'd be easier to just go to the one in Tampa since I didn't have a long list of restaurants I wanted to try there and I do in Orlando. (We were there on Mother's Day so most reservations were booked, and the next day we were in Tampa was a Monday which a lot of restaurants seemed to be closed for. We were also seeing comedy shows both nights that left us with kind of weird times to get dinner).

Shortly after we got to Tampa I decided to join a wait list for the restaurant. (The wait was like 45+ mins). We got there during our time window, but I guess the wait list was just to get on the actual wait list so the wait was another 40 mins. :rolleyes2

View attachment 580606

I didn't really understand this model and thought they should probably just offer reservations. We didn't want to cut it too close to the comedy show, but also knew nothing else would be available besides fast food. Finally we got in, (and luckily we did make it right on time).

The restaurant was a little different than I expected. Basically, once you're seated you order food on a tablet. (I'm not sure if this was always the case or if this is a newer safety measure). And the food comes out asap.

I decided to order an app to split since I wasn't sure how big the portion sizes were.

guac
hand-mashed avocado, lime juice, serrano chiles, onions, cilantro

V1DTmPcl.jpg

This was okay. Not bad, but nothing special. I also did kind of expect it to come with chips that would've been easier for dipping and there weren’t many of these.

I got three tacos the:

falafel
herbed chickpea fritter w/ traditional greek-style tzatziki + sriracha

spiced chicken verde
chile + herb marinade w/ aguacate salsa

portobello w/ queso fresco
roasted w/ poblano peppers + garlic

We went to the Bar Taco in Dr. Phillips. I thought it was really good but I agree that the serving sizes were small. Tacos were about $3-3.75 and I would probably get at least 4 if I went again. The margarita was very good.

We went to the Bar Taco in Dr. Phillips. I thought it was really good but I agree that the serving sizes were small. Tacos were about $3-3.75 and I would probably get at least 4 if I went again. The margarita was very good.

I’m glad your food was good! I should’ve tried a margarita.:scratchin

I'm one of those just discovering Bice. Was not on my radar at all previously but saw another review recently and it's high on my want to try list. Everything looks and sounds delicious. And Portofino Bay looks beautiful. I'm not a big thrill ride person and haven't spent a ton of time over at Universal. I need to get myself over there to check things out.

Loving your review so far. We're staying at Portofino in August and I actually booked our last dinner at Mama Della? Would you recommend moving it to Bice instead? I'm wondering what and how bad, your bad experience was :)

I'm one of those just discovering Bice. Was not on my radar at all previously but saw another review recently and it's high on my want to try list. Everything looks and sounds delicious. And Portofino Bay looks beautiful. I'm not a big thrill ride person and haven't spent a ton of time over at Universal. I need to get myself over there to check things out.

Everything we had really was delicious! & I love the hotel. I'm not a big thrill rider myself, but I love Universal lol.

Loving your review so far. We're staying at Portofino in August and I actually booked our last dinner at Mama Della? Would you recommend moving it to Bice instead? I'm wondering what and how bad, your bad experience was :)

Thank you! I'd recommend Bice over Mama Della's. Even if we didn't have a bad experience I think the food is better overall. Our bad experience was a few years back, but basically when we didn't order an appetizer or wine our level of service immediately declined (we pretty much only saw our server again when the check was brought out, he didn't even bring the food to our table). They didn't bring any gluten free bread for Josh (like they had the earlier time we'd gone), and when the server was at the table he only talked to him and not me (he even addressed him by my last name because that was what was on the reservation). Josh still liked his food, but my chicken parm looked like it had been sitting out and didn't taste great. (Honestly the one at Vivo was better than the one I got that time). Even if you have a good experience there, I still think the food and service at Bice are going to be better.

Wow! I really should not have starting reading this right before my lunchtime! Loving all these reviews! Thanks for sharing!

Wow! I really should not have starting reading this right before my lunchtime! Loving all these reviews! Thanks for sharing!

Haha reading about Disney food will make you hungry for sure :rotfl: Thank you for reading!

I do think they're a little cheaper now though, and it's still a good cheese fry dish, but they did make some changes since the last time it was on the menu.

Those looked pretty good!!! But have you had the cheese fries at Shake Shack? After having those..I compare every other rendition of cheese fries to that and haven't found too many that measure up!!

I will say every time I order soup at a restaurant I wonder how anyone ever finishes it because it just seems like they're bottomless to me!

I agree!! To me it's hard to have this as an appetizer because it's filling...but alone you want more...I will often order french onion soup with a salad or other app instead of an entree.

Those looked pretty good!!! But have you had the cheese fries at Shake Shack? After having those..I compare every other rendition of cheese fries to that and haven't found too many that measure up!!

Yeah, I've had those before. They're pretty good! I agree sometimes the cheese on cheese fries just isn't that good, but I do like what they use on these.

I agree!! To me it's hard to have this as an appetizer because it's filling...but alone you want more...I will often order french onion soup with a salad or other app instead of an entree.

Yeah apps can be very filling! Sometimes I just want an app and dessert :rotfl:

I really enjoyed all your dining reviews!
I love bread pudding and will be staying at the Riviera so I may have to check out this treat!
We are staying at Portofino in September, thanks for the reviews on Bice and Antojitos both are on our list now!
We have tried to eat at Antojitos several times but they don’t open until 4pm and it just didn’t work for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter