A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

We are going to DL in June for the 2nd time (first time 1981 when I was 12!). We go to WDW every Christmas, but givng it a miss this year to do DL (yikes). Thanks for your post, it was very informative. We have 4 day non-parkhopper tickets with Maxpass, and have a hire car to explore the beaches and Hollywood on the other 3 days. The best part will be exploring the parks and not knowing what's around the next corner.

The best part will be exploring the parks and not knowing what's around the next corner.

One of our best trips to DL, was our first trip by ourselves as a family without other people dragging us all over the parks to show us everything. We started with our DL map at the mainstreet train station and went thru each section of the park, building by building, and ride by ride. We didn't go to the next section of the park until we had explored everything in the first section and so on and so on. It was great! We discovered a lot!:woohoo:

One of our best trips to DL, was our first trip by ourselves as a family without other people dragging us all over the parks to show us everything. We started with our DL map at the mainstreet train station and went thru each section of the park, building by building, and ride by ride. We didn't go to the next section of the park until we had explored everything in the first section and so on and so on. It was great! We discovered a lot!:woohoo:
We know every nook and cranny of WDW including most of the resorts, so I will feel like a child seeing it all for the first time (well, first time in 37 years!). Our only concern is using Maxpass as I haven't read great things about the Wifi and we come from the UK. I may need to enquire about roaming costs.

We know every nook and cranny of WDW including most of the resorts, so I will feel like a child seeing it all for the first time (well, first time in 37 years!). Our only concern is using Maxpass as I haven't read great things about the Wifi and we come from the UK. I may need to enquire about roaming costs.
You are right to be concerned and DLR should do something about the wifi like WDW did. Frankly, I don't get it. But it is probably the reason they have kept the legacy paper FPs.

:wizard:

If it matters, I have found that MaxPass uses around 50MB per day for our use.

Leaving for Disneyland in 10 days. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel. First time visit. Staying April 18 - 25. Does the hotel have the refillable drink cups?

This is probably a dumb question but how does maxpass work? I know its $10 a day and you can't start picking fastpasses until you have scanned into the park with your ticket. BUT how many rides can you pick at once? 3 for the day like WDW and then rolling fp after that? Or is it like the old WDW system where you pick one and in about two hours you get to pick another fastpass?

Also do fastpasses for the top rides like Radiator Springs and Guardians go quick like paper fastpasses would?

TIA!

This is probably a dumb question but how does maxpass work? I know its $10 a day and you can't start picking fastpasses until you have scanned into the park with your ticket. BUT how many rides can you pick at once? 3 for the day like WDW and then rolling fp after that? Or is it like the old WDW system where you pick one and in about two hours you get to pick another fastpass?

Also do fastpasses for the top rides like Radiator Springs and Guardians go quick like paper fastpasses would?

TIA!
It is not a dumb question and there is a thread aorund here on MP. But someone needs to write a thread like WDW has on FP+. I would but am busy enough already.

If you ever used legacy paper FP at WDW (or DLR) MP is an extension of that which you book thru your smartphone rather than a kiosk. MP is much closer to legacy FP than it is to FP+. FPs thru MP and those available at the kiosks go in tandem and if something like RSR goes quickly, it is paper FP and MP.

TIA!
I forgot I had recently written up a bit of mini-comparison between FP+ and MO. Here is a link:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...er-differences-from-dw.3681878/#post-59205835

TIA!
Yes FPs for higher-demand attractions run out much more quickly than their less-popular (or less-capacious) counterparts. RSR FPs are usually gone by noon (often earlier), and GotG and Space Mountain are often gone by early-mid afternoon.

I forgot I had recently written up a bit of mini-comparison between FP+ and MO. Here is a link:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...er-differences-from-dw.3681878/#post-59205835

Thank you so much for this!
Question I'm sure I know the answer to but just want to ask....back in the (way, way) olden days of FP at WDW, your FP did not 'expire' so to speak even if the time window had passed...you could use it any time later in the day. I'm sure this is not the case at DL or DCA, whether paper FP or MaxPass?

Question I'm sure I know the answer to but just want to ask....back in the (way, way) olden days of FP at WDW, your FP did not 'expire' so to speak even if the time window had passed...you could use it any time later in the day. I'm sure this is not the case at DL or DCA, whether paper FP or MaxPass?
No not for several years.

Should we buy lanyards to hold our tickets for easier scanning at fp machines? If so, if we decide to purchase maxpass would that then make the layards useless? Never been to DL.

Should we buy lanyards to hold our tickets for easier scanning at fp machines? If so, if we decide to purchase maxpass would that then make the layards useless? Never been to DL.
You still need your tickets, even with MP. It's faster to scan the tickets than your phone to redeem FPs, and you need the tickets for FPs for F! and WoC - MP doesn't do it.

You still need your tickets, even with MP. It's faster to scan the tickets than your phone to redeem FPs, and you need the tickets for FPs for F! and WoC - MP doesn't do it.
I’ll be booking the FPs using MaxPass for both my fiancé and myself. If we’re scanning paper tickets to redeem each FP, do we each scan our own, or does mine also redeem his? Alternatively, if I use my phone, does one ‘scan’ redeem both mine and his, or will I need to scan twice?

I’ll be booking the FPs using MaxPass for both my fiancé and myself. If we’re scanning paper tickets to redeem each FP, do we each scan our own, or does mine also redeem his? Alternatively, if I use my phone, does one ‘scan’ redeem both mine and his, or will I need to scan twice?
You need to scan each ticket. It doesn't matter which account FPs are booked from - each ticket that has a FP attached to it needs to be scanned in order to redeem the FP. Whether you do it from the paper ticket or the phone (swipe to access each ticket) is up to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!