A few things we've learned after several trips to WDW with small children

jesse

Mouseketeer
Our first trip, dd was 3 yrs old and ds was 5mo. old, they have both been four times now. For what it's worth, here are some of our tips

1. By all means bring your own stroller when you have small children. You can roll it right down the jetway and have it gate checked, and it will be waiting for you in the jetway when you get off. It can also double as a luggage rack in a pinch! And that way you'll know your child will be comfortable in the parks.

2. Check out the babycare stations at the parks, especially if you're nursing. The MK babycare station is by the Crystal Palace and has a lovely nursing room all decorated in the victorian style with glider rockers. Epcots even has a big playroom for toddlers with books, stuffed animals and coloring supplies.

3. You don't have to fold up your stroller on the monorail! Yeah!

4. My ds was used to being rocked to sleep; I didn't know if I could get him to sleep without rocking! My Mom suggested I bring a folding rocker lawn chair. We taped it in a bag and checked it as a piece of luggage, it worked great! Or you could buy one at Walmart.

5. Car seats are also very easy to check as luggage, and ours always survived the trip.

6. My baby really loved IASW, yours might too!

7. If your big kid runs out of steam (when my daughter was 7, she caught a cold that drained her energy) we found the rental strollers to be very comfortable for her. She felt well enough to go to the parks, but without the stroller, I don't think she would have been able to last the day.

8. If someone wants to know why you would bother to bring such little children to WDW since they won't remember anything, keep in mind that a 3year old will really believe that Cinderella is Cinderella, and you will remember the look on their face for the rest of your life!

I plan to visit this summer with my 3yo DS. It will be his first time there. Sometimes I feel like I've planned a trip too overwhelming for him. I hope he has fun once we get there.

You'll have great time. My kids are never so happy and tantrum free as they are at WDW.

My DS will be turning 3 two days before we leave and I cant wait to see his face when we get there. You should see how excited he gets when we go to the Disney Store. I know he wont remember it but I know he is going to enjoy it. Michelle

I totally agree with your reasoning in #8 pdcole. I get the same response when returning to Disney with our young daughters. My now 5 year old daughter has been twice, at 2 and 3. In planning this year's trip I now know how valuable those first 2 were. Being a bit wiser she has lost a bit of the magic; I was so sad when she announced that she knew that the characters were not real. She came to this conclusion when analyzing why the "face" characters can talk, but the others cannot. I will always have the memories of the joy and enchantment on her face. I look forward to sharing witnessing the same look in my 2 year old's eyes when we go in May.

'83,'84,'88 off site
3/98 CSR
6/98 Dolphin
4/99 CSR
5/99 DL
7/99 Yacht Club
5/01 CSR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter