A few totally random questions...

kuhltiffany

DIS Veteran
It's been a crazy day and my mind is rambling, so bear with me.

I'm taking the kids by myself to WDW in a few weeks. Booked it as easily as I could, package with tickets, free dining, Magical Express, Garden Grocer delivery, etc.

As of right now, I have $21 USD in cash left over from our last trip. Do I really need to get more? I've got a Credit Card attached to my Magic Band and Gift Cards too.

We are taking an air mattress for my daughter to sleep on, if it doesn't fit in the suitcase on the way back I would love to pass it on to someone. I thought there used to be a thread somewhere on these boards for stuff like that, but can't find it?

My daughter broke her foot so is in a lower leg cast, we have a transport wheelchair for long distances and she will be able to weight bear a bit when we go to transfer on and off rides. Any tips for using a chair/cast, etc.?

Hi Hon
As soon as you check in ask for extra pillows.

A few years back I took a client (wish trip) to Disney World in Aug.
Although she was able to walk a bit I pushed her in a wheelchair for most of the trip.
I lost 15 pounds that week.

This is what I learned:

pack extra shorts and t-shirts --the humidity was high

pace yourself or you will be the one sitting in the wheelchair--drink lots of fluids

take frequent indoor breaks,,,you may find yourself not as hungry due to the heat

visit first aid station to refresh

noon in Florida is just too hot--night touring was easier--but bring something to light up the wheelchair--glow light

watch for swelling of her foot/ leg.

take medication regularly

wheelchairs can become very hot and sweaty////bring a cotton towel to absorb

bring water bottles and ask for ice at counter service
If you have a freezer in the room--freeze water bottle night before going to the parks.

bring hair band/ties/hat

sometimes the leg inside the cast will begin to itch//be prepared to head to airconditioning if this happens/rest and cool off.

Give daughter something special to get signed by castmembers (hat,,t-shirt,pillowcase etc)--a smelly cast is not something most people want to treasure from their trip to Disney.

Give her a challenge to get as many photos of characters as she can.

Make a note of all the wheelchair accessible washrooms,,,hobbling through and around people when you have to go is just awful

Tie some cool things on the chair,,bandanas,ribbons,bells,ribbons,,stuffies, etc--it helps when your chair becomes one of a 100 in a sea of chairs.

Beach balls make a great temporary soft spot to rest a foot/leg and are a fun thing to draw on with a Sharpie.

You are going to have a great time and I admire you for moving forward with this trip!
Hugs to you
Mel

PS
I found I came home with cash last time also
I think I charged everything to the bands.

PSS
Disney Springs has a wonderful airconditioned Dine In (comfy chair ) theatre,
just a thought.

Last edited:
Great suggestions from bababear_50!

As for cash, I think you might be a little short. Do you plan on tipping Mousekeeping, DME driver that helps with the wheelchair, bell services who delivers your Garden Grocer order? Personally, I never travel to the US without at least $100 cash...you never know when you might need it.

Great suggestions from bababear_50!

As for cash, I think you might be a little short. Do you plan on tipping Mousekeeping, DME driver that helps with the wheelchair, bell services who delivers your Garden Grocer order? Personally, I never travel to the US without at least $100 cash...you never know when you might need it.
I agree. I'd rather come home with cash than have to find an ATM that will give me some.

I usually take only about $20-30USD with me in small bills just in case I want to buy something from somewhere that doesn't use MBs. The last 2-3 trips I didn't use any at all because everything was easily chargeable to the room using MBs. Now, I don't typically buy much from the kiosks which are the most likely places that still don't take MBs; that's where it might come in handy.

@bababear_50 great tips, thank you! So many things to think about. Did you find your hands got sore pushing the wheelchair? I'm thinking I may need some padded gloves to prevent blisters...

We hit Michaels to get some fancy duct tape to decorate her chair and crutches, love the light/glow stuff idea! Since we've got lots of time we can take it easy and not rush, so will hopefully try to miss the sunny hot afternoons.

I've heard there are "missions" the kids can do at Epcot in some of the buildings, I think the Mexico one is all inside where it's air conditioned so we might try that too.

@bababear_50 great tips, thank you! So many things to think about. Did you find your hands got sore pushing the wheelchair? I'm thinking I may need some padded gloves to prevent blisters...

We hit Michaels to get some fancy duct tape to decorate her chair and crutches, love the light/glow stuff idea! Since we've got lots of time we can take it easy and not rush, so will hopefully try to miss the sunny hot afternoons.

I've heard there are "missions" the kids can do at Epcot in some of the buildings, I think the Mexico one is all inside where it's air conditioned so we might try that too.

Hi Hon
It was so hot in Aug ---this is what a castmember friend suggested to me ...saved my hands
wrap sports bands around wheelchair handles. Take a couple of extra pairs--wash in sink (travel tide pods) and hang to dry.
2-color-black-steelblue-athletic-wristband.jpg

I highly recommend "Agent P" in Epcot.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/attractions/epcot/agent-p-world-showcase-adventure/

And in Magic Kingdom
I recommend
A Pirates Adventure "Treasure Of The Seven Seas"
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/attractions/magic-kingdom/pirates-adventures/

Hugs Mel

Did you find your hands got sore pushing the wheelchair? I'm thinking I may need some padded gloves to prevent blisters...

Maybe try weightlifting gloves - they're fingerless so you won't get so hot and they'll have leather or suede exteriors which grip. I like the sports bands idea too. No reason you can't try both and see which works best for you.

DME might be it, just trying to avoid getting extra cash that I won't use. We probably won't be doing US trips for a while after this...

DME might be it, just trying to avoid getting extra cash that I won't use. We probably won't be doing US trips for a while after this...
I think you need more cash but if you are ok with paying the ATM fees should you need to get some then go with what you have and see what happens.

As to the wheelchair.....
I work with people is wheelchairs. Be sure to know how to safely get your DD in and out of the chair. If you do it incorrectly you risk a serious fall for her.

I think we are there at the same time (or very close) we are August 17-27th.

Thanks for the concern! She broke her foot in many places and is pretty good with getting herself in and out. She will be allowed to weight bear a bit when we go as well (it will be over 4 weeks since her accident then) so that will help. I called and requested a shower chair and handheld shower to make baths easier. The hospital even had totally waterproof cast covers, so I have one of those in case she wants to try the lazy rivers at a waterpark. Hopefully I've got most challenges accounted for...

Hope you have an awesome time!

I think you need more cash but if you are ok with paying the ATM fees should you need to get some then go with what you have and see what happens.

As to the wheelchair.....
I work with people is wheelchairs. Be sure to know how to safely get your DD in and out of the chair. If you do it incorrectly you risk a serious fall for her.

I think we are there at the same time (or very close) we are August 17-27th.

I did some wheelchair pushing at Disney a while back, and I was going to suggest wrist sweatbands for your hands, but bababear_50 beat me to it :) . Definitely a hand saver!!

Also, from my own experience, While you naturally need to take care of your daughter's needs, you should also make sure the wheelchair pusher is also well hydrated. I found that a wheelchair in Epcot and Hollywood studios was no problem. But as soon as we got to AK and MK, boy did those hilly terrains make a huge difference. I'm pretty sure I sweat out my body weight in those two parks alone.

As for your cash issue, I'd probably take at least $100 with you. If you get near the end of your trip and you haven't used much, you can always use the cash to tip / snacks / souvenir etc. instead of using your MB. It will be one less charge on your card :)

We're bring GC's too, trying to avoid any more $ outlay at this point. The "good"thing about the wheelchair is that we'll have a bag on the bag with ponchos and water, I've got electrolyte powder to add too!

I did some wheelchair pushing at Disney a while back, and I was going to suggest wrist sweatbands for your hands, but bababear_50 beat me to it :) . Definitely a hand saver!!

Also, from my own experience, While you naturally need to take care of your daughter's needs, you should also make sure the wheelchair pusher is also well hydrated. I found that a wheelchair in Epcot and Hollywood studios was no problem. But as soon as we got to AK and MK, boy did those hilly terrains make a huge difference. I'm pretty sure I sweat out my body weight in those two parks alone.

As for your cash issue, I'd probably take at least $100 with you. If you get near the end of your trip and you haven't used much, you can always use the cash to tip / snacks / souvenir etc. instead of using your MB. It will be one less charge on your card :)

This is our first time going using MagicBands. How reliable/trustworthy are they? Do you also carry a credit card or cash? I’m thinking about when we head to a water park, it’s easier/safer if I don’t have to bring anything else...

This is our first time going using MagicBands. How reliable/trustworthy are they? Do you also carry a credit card or cash? I’m thinking about when we head to a water park, it’s easier/safer if I don’t have to bring anything else...

I usually bring a bit of cash for the carts that only take cash (you know, the places that sell the fancy balloons or light up sticks for the fireworks shows). I've never had a problem paying the MB anywhere they accept them. I love not having to carry credit cards and all that around with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter